A-Train re-signed

Dan III

Makes me feel a little better, still wouldnt mind a breakaway kind of guy, ut no urgency to trade multiple picks for Pederson or move up. We can wait and see whats available at 12, if no great RBs available, go with the defensive needs and wait till the second or third round to address the RB position

That's good...at least there is some stability. I know it's early and you never can predict the draft and who knows what the hell is going to happen but...Pat Kirwan of NFL.com predicted that Peterson might fall to the Bills in his latest mock draft. I know!!! Even before the replies come about mock drafts, but it's nice to think about. His reasoning was the recent RB signings would drop APs value. Nice to think about!

Interesting comment from JP.

"He knows when he's supposed to stay and when to get out," said Losman of Thomas. "He knows when he has to chip, when he has to help a guard, if he has to help a tackle.He knows where to be and when to be there and it was very, very helpful to rely on him. He recognizes things with a defense and knows when he's supposed to stay in and protect or when it's better to get out in a route and get open for me."

http://wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=2237

Bills Sign Running Back

WGR Newsroom - Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:50 PM

The Bills running back situation is starting to sort itself out. The club has signed unrestricted free agent back Anthony Thomas.

Thomas joined the Bills last year after starting his career in Chicago where he played for current Bills coach Dick Jauron. He appeared in all 16 games last season and made two starts. Thomas replaced Willis McGahee in week nine after McGahee suffered an injury. He ran for a game-high 109 yards on 28 carries against the Indianapolis Colts.

Thomas, right now, would be the starter at running back. But the Bills continue to talk with the agent for running back Chris Brown, who visited with the team last week.

:worthy: But why?!

IF we got chris brown too, would we seriously be content with brown/thomas/willaims/jackson backfied?! i still think we would draft a RB, but adding brown just makes the RB position crowded with a bunch of backups IMO. Not to mention the waste of money that'd be!

I'd much rather see a backfield with Irons/A-train/Williams and or Jackson and use the money you'd give Brown on someone/something else (i.e. CB or LB)

Granted this is just WGR and who knows if we're seriously pursuing him or not, but here's hoping that it doesn't work out!

http://wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=2237

Bills Sign Running Back

WGR Newsroom - Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:50 PM

The Bills running back situation is starting to sort itself out. The club has signed unrestricted free agent back Anthony Thomas.

Thomas joined the Bills last year after starting his career in Chicago where he played for current Bills coach Dick Jauron. He appeared in all 16 games last season and made two starts. Thomas replaced Willis McGahee in week nine after McGahee suffered an injury. He ran for a game-high 109 yards on 28 carries against the Indianapolis Colts.

Thomas, right now, would be the starter at running back. But the Bills continue to talk with the agent for running back Chris Brown, who visited with the team last week.

:worthy: But why?!

IF we got chris brown too, would we seriously be content with brown/thomas/willaims/jackson backfied?! i still think we would draft a RB, but adding brown just makes the RB position crowded with a bunch of backups IMO. Not to mention the waste of money that'd be!

I'd much rather see a backfield with Irons/A-train/Williams and or Jackson and use the money you'd give Brown on someone/something else (i.e. CB or LB)

Granted this is just WGR and who knows if we're seriously pursuing him or not, but here's hoping that it doesn't work out!

why?

because Chris Brown has a lot more upsise that A-Train. He has more speed and catches better. His downside is that he has not been able to stay healthy. He would fine as part of a rotation with the hope he stays healthy.

Bills should sign Brown and draft a RB on day 1.

why?

because Chris Brown has a lot more upsise that A-Train. He has more speed and catches better. His downside is that he has not been able to stay healthy. He would fine as part of a rotation with the hope he stays healthy.

Yes and if the Bills are to start the seaon with 3 backs on the roster, they ought to bring 5-6 into camp and let the best 3 survive.

why?

I'd be real happy with a RB rotation that was Kenny Irons, Chris Brown, A-Train with Shaud and Fred Jackson for depth. That position would be deep and talented.

glad to hear this. I was hoping we'd keep him on board. He did well when given a start. Did anyone really miss Willis when didn't play in those 3 games (in which we won two and lost by a point to the colts)?

I know I loved that ! Back handed slap against Willis !

Now that's what makes JP cool. That's the kind of badmouthing of ex-teammates I like. Personally, I still don't think that Willis was talking about the Bills, but most people do. And what JP was doing was sticking up for his guys and saying, he's gone, good riddance. We don't need you, we like who we got. Good for him. He's really going to be a leader on this team pretty soon.

I like the A Train signing but still think we need a Chris Brown or even Dillon to play with a #2 or #3 pick. I'm not against (just A Train and) Lynch or Peterson if the teams' scouts and brass think they are going to be studs. Most of the NFL is going to two backs stuff is nonsense, and Jauron, on the day of the trade, said flat out, "you would prefer to have a franchise back, but there are not a lot out there". New Orleans took Reggie Bush because he is a freak, and plays outside a lot. The Bears had a two back system because Thomas Jones sucked for awhile and they wanted to replace him with Benson, who held out and then sucked more. Forced to play Jones, he played great and then they didn't know which of them to play. And then traded Jones. Jax thought Taylor was getting up in age and always a risk, so they drafted Jones-Drew to spell him. The Colts knew Rhodes wasnt the answer and then allowed him to leave. The Chargers have two good backs by accident, and barely play their other good one. So it's mostly hooey that this is the trend, or by design.

I think we have 4 major holes to fill. At CB, DT, RB and LB (as well as RG but not an emergency yet) Each one needs at least one serious upgrade. We're not going to win the SB this year so we really don't have to, and can't, fill them all right now. So if they think, say, Lynch is a stud, I say draft him. Personally, I want them to draft Okoye or Branch, if one of them is available, and I think it's probably 50-50 that one is.

I am beginning to think more and more that Jauron and Fewell and Marv think Youboty can play and will be the #2, but we still need a #3. I don't, however, think that we will draft a CB at #12 but who knows.

I also figure that Marv is probably gaga over Puznatowski at LB but I hope they don't draft him way too high.

Can someone tell me why A-Train fell out of favor in Chicago?

He was ordinary and then injured. The Bills looked at him in 2005 and passed whereupon he signed with Dallas, was cut, and moved to the Saints. 92 yards rushing.

Jauron's " He's a terrific team player. He'll play the role he's asked to play and play it as hard as he can. " pretty much says it all. Solid professional, emergency starter.

Interesting comment from JP.

This is an obvious reference to Willis the idiot. So much for the 'speculation' about Willis being stupid, and not knowing the playbook or assignments, if JP is saying it that says all we need to hear.

Hey Peter, is this part of the conspiracy as well?