Say goodbye to London

scribo

It seems Fletcher is gone. I have to presume several teams, including a couple with good playoff potential, will be interested in his leadership, durability and nose for the ball.

London has made several comments that make it clear that he is disappointed with the playoff drought. He sounds like he feels under appreciated. He knows starting every game for five-plus years is very impressive and valuable. He knows he was the glue this year on the defensive side of the ball. He knows his tackle count ranks right among the top of the league, as does his number of interceptions for a linebacker.

But he didn’t get a contract extension last off-season, and he took that personally.

"I used to play in St. Louis. They call that the 'Show Me State,"' Flethcer told The Associated Press a couple of weeks ago. "They have to show me they're serious about extending me, just don't tell me."

He even hired Drew Rosenhaus last year, saying he made the move just to facilitate an extension. He obviously wanted to get this done then, but for whatever reason, that didn't happen, and I cannot blame him for taking that personally.

"Things have changed because that was prior to the season," he told AP. "The scenario has changed."

Are the Bills showing enough interest? I don’t think so. Not publicly, at least. Jauron said a few nice things about Fletcher after the Pro Bowl snub, but the main comment coming out of the clubhouse from a coach was from Fewell. He said re-signing Nate was more important. What the hell? Yes, that very well may be the case, but it is not something that should be verbalized by the defensive coordinator in the media. That would be like a parent announcing who his/her favorite child is.

"Those guys are hard to come by," Fewell said of Clements. "If you've got a really good corner like that, they're invaluable. You can't find guys like that each and every year, especially with the experience he has and the knowledge he has. That would be a big blow. To me, that would be the biggest piece to replace on our defense."

Really, the only ringing endorsements of London I’ve read from the Bills have all come from the players rather than the coaches.

London is also still miffed about not making the Pro Bowl. Remember that one of the reasons Takeo Spikes left Cincinnati was that he wanted to go to Hawaii, and he didn’t think that was likely to happen playing for a team losing all the time. Of course, maybe Fletcher can look at what happened for TKO. Yes, he made the Pro Bowl after switching teams, but if he had shown a little more patience, TKO would still be playing for Cinci, now a much higher profile team than the Bills. If London comes back, it will be because of the potential he sees in Buffalo.

Meanwhile, the losing season after losing season apparently has worn on Fletcher.

"It's been hard on me," Fletcher said. "I'm tired of going home on Sundays and feeling bad.

"As far as the wins and losses go, losing, you can't really be happy about losses and not making the playoffs during my five years here. That makes me unhappy,"

The bottom-line is that Fletcher has been a rock for us, but he has continually been overlooked by the national media, has had to deal with way too much losing, and the team didn’t care enough to extend him last year or give him a ringing endorsement now.

“It's a situation where once the season is over you have to look and evaluate everything," Fletcher said. "They'll do some evaluating and if there is something where both parties feel that it is best that I return, then we will try to get something done."

But I don’t think his “party” thinks returning is best.

After reading Fletcher's recent comments to the media, I won't be shedding any tears when he goes. As with Eric Moulds, it seems like Fletcher isn't on board with the Bills rebuilding plan. Someone should tell him that Bills fans are tired of watching other team's runningbacks skip through the middle of the defense on Sundays. It makes us feel bad.

If your hearts not with the program then see ya, wouldn't want to be ya Fletch.

Flecther has been very good for us but in the end I wouldn't mind seeing a young faster LB replace him. It's time to cut ties with some of the older players, it happens every year. Just remember, speed can be a major factor to make this team better all around.

I'd rather keep Nate Clements if it was up to me. :o

Listen the Bills will be 40 million under the cap next year. They didn't want to negotiate with Fletcher or clements until the season was over to see how they would fit in to the new defense. Now they both could be signed and still leave a ton of money under the cap for them to extend players like JP, willis, and evans.

Hopefully after signing all of these players there will still be 8-10 million left to sign a free agent and all of their draft pics. If they make the right moves everyone will be happy next year.

London Fletcher has been the captain of a defense that has consistently underachieved during his 5 years here. He is king of the tackle 5 or 6 yards down the field and is unable to get off blocks when anyone larger than a slot receiver blocks him. I can think of more game changing penalties on London's part than game changing good plays. The thing that bothers me most about this defense over the years is that when we absolutely needed a late game stop, they came up short 9 out of 10 times and London didn't do anything to help that.

"Heart and soul of the defense" means "high motor" if you're not a white second round defensive end pick.

London saw the writing on the wall when he wasn't getting a contract extension. Marv is continuing to show that he knows something about the game of football by recognizing a needed upgrade in the middle of the D. Signing Nate and Kelsay would be higher priorities in my opinion.

RTB

L.F. has been a warrior for the Bills. A key ingredient when they had one of the best defenses in the league. But a lot has changed over the past couple of years thanks to the shambles that T.D. left for Marv and Co... The middle of the defense needs an upgrade. L.F. isn't getting any younger and if this team truly is going to be a contender, it may be time to draft a stud MLB or sign a F.A. who has his best years ahead of him. If L.F. could be retained for a reasonable cap hit I would be ok with it but it sounds like he wants out... March will be interesting.

It seems Fletcher is gone. I have to presume several teams, including a couple with good playoff potential, will be interested in his leadership, durability and nose for the ball.

London has made several comments that make it clear that he is disappointed with the playoff drought. He sounds like he feels under appreciated. He knows starting every game for five-plus years is very impressive and valuable. He knows he was the glue this year on the defensive side of the ball. He knows his tackle count ranks right among the top of the league, as does his number of interceptions for a linebacker.

But he didn’t get a contract extension last off-season, and he took that personally.

"I used to play in St. Louis. They call that the 'Show Me State,"' Flethcer told The Associated Press a couple of weeks ago. "They have to show me they're serious about extending me, just don't tell me."

He even hired Drew Rosenhaus last year, saying he made the move just to facilitate an extension. He obviously wanted to get this done then, but for whatever reason, that didn't happen, and I cannot blame him for taking that personally.

"Things have changed because that was prior to the season," he told AP. "The scenario has changed."

Are the Bills showing enough interest? I don’t think so. Not publicly, at least. Jauron said a few nice things about Fletcher after the Pro Bowl snub, but the main comment coming out of the clubhouse from a coach was from Fewell. He said re-signing Nate was more important. What the hell? Yes, that very well may be the case, but it is not something that should be verbalized by the defensive coordinator in the media. That would be like a parent announcing who his/her favorite child is.

"Those guys are hard to come by," Fewell said of Clements. "If you've got a really good corner like that, they're invaluable. You can't find guys like that each and every year, especially with the experience he has and the knowledge he has. That would be a big blow. To me, that would be the biggest piece to replace on our defense."

Really, the only ringing endorsements of London I’ve read from the Bills have all come from the players rather than the coaches.

London is also still miffed about not making the Pro Bowl. Remember that one of the reasons Takeo Spikes left Cincinnati was that he wanted to go to Hawaii, and he didn’t think that was likely to happen playing for a team losing all the time. Of course, maybe Fletcher can look at what happened for TKO. Yes, he made the Pro Bowl after switching teams, but if he had shown a little more patience, TKO would still be playing for Cinci, now a much higher profile team than the Bills. If London comes back, it will be because of the potential he sees in Buffalo.

Meanwhile, the losing season after losing season apparently has worn on Fletcher.

"It's been hard on me," Fletcher said. "I'm tired of going home on Sundays and feeling bad.

"As far as the wins and losses go, losing, you can't really be happy about losses and not making the playoffs during my five years here. That makes me unhappy,"

The bottom-line is that Fletcher has been a rock for us, but he has continually been overlooked by the national media, has had to deal with way too much losing, and the team didn’t care enough to extend him last year or give him a ringing endorsement now.

“It's a situation where once the season is over you have to look and evaluate everything," Fletcher said. "They'll do some evaluating and if there is something where both parties feel that it is best that I return, then we will try to get something done."

Drew Rosenhaus is his agent. He's as good as gone.

I would not be shocked at all if a MLB is drafted in the first round. How many times has Marv brought up that Shane Conlan draft pick war story, anyway? He can also probably see that a guy like Jonathan Vilma is a better player than Fletcher.

that's laughable. if you think fletcher is the king of the downfield tackle, then vilma is the emperor.

I also thought it was interesting that Fewell went to the media and basically said, "Clements > Fletcher > Kelsay", but truth be told, he's right and I can appreciate his honesty.

I love Fletch as well and would love to see him stay for consistency's sake, but I'm not sure it will happen. I don't begrudge him his feelings, but I also think that he will be sign-able and once the contract is signed these rough feelings will melt away. And if he's not signed, then that's too bad and I'll miss him, but we can replace him.

I think Kelsay will be back, but NC and Fletcher will leave. It will be a shame to lose them, particularly NC. He is young, healthy and physical (helps in run support). The Bills may be able to replace Fletcher, who has played extremely well, but the bottom line is that it will be nearly impossible to fill NC's spot with a comparable player next year. This will be a big loss for the Bills.

Would be great if Patrick Willis became our new MLB. Sure, it would take a little bit to get comfortable, but wouldn't it be cool going from a 5'9 guy to someone about 6'3? Pass coverage ( how many times have we seen London have good coverage but be too short to stop the pass) will be better. Fletcher was one of my favorates but he has his weaknesses. Anyways, we need to shore up the DT position or it won't matter who is playing MLB for us next year.

Fewell's comments are very interesting. You would hope the coaches and front office are on the same page. If that is the case, it looks like Clements is the #1 priority and although they'd like Fletcher back, perhaps he won't be as important next year as he was this year with a significant number of rookies playing. If Fletcher is all we lose, we get a stud LB in the 1st round, and sign some lower level FA's with Nate being our big ticket item this offseason, I'd be happy.

I agree with everyone that Nate needs to be re-signed and that Fletcher can be replaced with some one with more upside. My point is that the Bills' actions and London's comments seem to state that is exactly what is going to happen.

Incidently, I also think it is good that Fewell understands Nate's value and how hard it would be to replace him.

Why not move Crowell to MLB, with Ellison and Spikes as the OLBs? That would give us one of the fastest LB crews in the League.

How is Ellison-Crowell-Spikes faster than Ellison-Spikes-Crowell?

Do you think Crowell would be a better MLB than Spikes?

I would guess Indy would be interested with all the problems they've had, I recall reading after the Jax game where they were just shreded that they switched their LBs around including their MLB so it looks like they might be in the market for a new MLB

Im not as concerned with losing Flecter as some people are, DT is still a bigger need and until that gets fixed it wont matter who is playing MLB

London Fletcher has been the captain of a defense that has consistently underachieved during his 5 years here. He is king of the tackle 5 or 6 yards down the field and is unable to get off blocks when anyone larger than a slot receiver blocks him. I can think of more game changing penalties on London's part than game changing good plays. The thing that bothers me most about this defense over the years is that when we absolutely needed a late game stop, they came up short 9 out of 10 times and London didn't do anything to help that.

"Heart and soul of the defense" means "high motor" if you're not a white second round defensive end pick.

London saw the writing on the wall when he wasn't getting a contract extension. Marv is continuing to show that he knows something about the game of football by recognizing a needed upgrade in the middle of the D. Signing Nate and Kelsay would be higher priorities in my opinion.

RTB

Precisely.

This team has a very middle of the road defense, and ranks 29'th against the run.

How good can he be? How much can he possibly be missed?

I know the middle of the D-line is horrible, but come on.

:o

I'd expect the Pats to make a serious run at him. Belichick singles Fletcher out before pretty much every game on his TV show; he's an obvious fan of his game. The Pats also need linebacking depth and the strategy all along since Belichick + Pioli since they've come in is to acquire veterans at this particular position.

you cant put too much blame on Fletcher for the Bills poor run defense, all you have to do is see the push every o-line gets against this d-line to see where the problem is.

Agree. So save the money spent on him, and draft some D-linemen and a LB. :o

I'd expect the Pats to make a serious run at him. Belichick singles Fletcher out before pretty much every game on his TV show; he's an obvious fan of his game. The Pats also need linebacking depth and the strategy all along since Belichick + Pioli since they've come in is to acquire veterans at this particular position.

I agree 100 percent. I think this is a very viable option for the Fletcher. I am fine with it. London may get a Pro Bowl out of it, and i will be happy for him, but we are going to beat them out for the division crown next season.

Yeah but the Pats will offer him a lowball contract and he'll go elsewhere. Count on it.

I'm not sure about switching Spikes or Crowell to OLB cuz its a bigger switch than you think. All of the audibles and checks and plays go through the mlb and its a big responsibility. Also, playing it is much different from olb. Olb is all about coming in from the angles. MLB, you fight off centers and guards and fullbacks where olb's are more tight ends and fullbacks. They do see pulling guards and stuff but not like mlb's. I hope it would work so we could look elsewhere but I'm just not sure.

Yeah but the Pats will offer him a lowball contract and he'll go elsewhere. Count on it.

They're going to do what they do with every player; assess what his worth is and make an offer on that basis. They did pay linebacker Rosie Colvin quite well back in 2003 when he signed. I think that part of how they do business is the understanding that they need quality experienced linebackers to run their defense effectively; the beginning of last year when they had Chad Brown (veteran, but no longer quality) and Monty Beisel (neither veteran nor quality) playing much of the game in the middle was as bad as their defense has been in six years.

I would agree that he is more likely to get a higher offer from a different team, since of course there are 31 other teams that might outbid New England for his services and there is a lot of money floating around out there for this free agent class. They don't "lowball" players though as you suggest; if they truly did, then they'd be a bad team. They manage their money effectively by not overpaying marginal or injury prone guys; that's why they are successful.

I was just thinking the same thing driving home from Christmas - a lot on my mind :o

I think that Takeo is a savvy enough veteran to handle the *responsibilities* of MLB - I'm not sure if he's suited to play it. Anyone? Still I think that Ellison has proven that he should be out on the field. I'll miss London, he's an incredible player and should be thought highly of in Buffalo. The guy always played hard over - despite all that was going on the last few years.

I say sign Nate at all costs and let London go...

You'd think that would clue in us Bills fans that maybe Fletcher is indeed a really good player :o

I would, however, agree that Nate is a higher priority still.

Fletcher is overrated. He makes a lot of tackles but all middle linebackers do.

Um, no. He made the Pro bowl every year like Zach Thomas, he would be overrated. Some #s

Urlacher- 134 tacks, 0 sacks, 3 ints, 0 tds, 5 passes defended.

Thomas - 153 tacks, 3 sacks, 1 int, 0 tds, 9 pass defended

Al Wilson - 101 tacks, 1 sack, 0 int, 0 tds, 4 passes defended

Ray Lewis - 95 tacks, 4 sacks, 2 ints, 0 tds, 6 passes defended.

Vilma - 108 tacks, 0 sacks, 1 int, 0 tds, 4 passes defended

Lofa Tatupu - 115 tacks, 1.5 sacks, 1 int, 0 tds, 6 passes defended

"Little" London - 138 tacks, 2 sacks, 3 ints, 2 tds, 7 passes defended

Yea, Fletcher is overrated. :o

Honestly, I see this as Travis Henry type situation. Someone flashier is available and we think it is an immediate upgrade. But the truth of the matter is we have a very good player here. Can you honestly say those guys I compared to Fletcher don't have much better lines in front of them? Tim Anderson may be the worst player in the history of football and he is a starter.

Personally, I'm a huge Fletcher fan. I would give him a two year deal and upgrade the d-line. You don't build chemistry by letting one of your best players and leaders go. Bigger isn't always better. :(

RTB

I think this post among others seriously underrates Fletcher in terms of his importance to the Bills and what we will need to do in terms of needing several things all to work out in order to replace him on this team.

This is not to say that I think Fletcher is the top LB in the game (since folks seem to love to adopt the same tactic as the modern political media ranters like Fox News or Lou Dobbs and assume the most extreme version of opposing views and attack them as though that undercuts all opposing views), it is simply saying that folks seem to want to assess F-B as being so horrible when the stats and a balanced view does not indicate that is so.

Specifically:

1. The rant that he makes most of his tackles 5 or 6 downfield is actually a pretty superficial analysis of what this means or in fact if it really is what is happening. Its hard to know where to begin in terms of describing the faultiness of this point as an indictment of Fletcher.

A. If he in fact leads the team in tackles but a majority of them happen downfield this is more of an indictment of the DL than F-B. In order for him to make a tackle so far downfield it simply raised the question as to what happened to our DL that he routinely is tackling players relatively deep in the second tier beyond the LOS. Even if he makes his first contact 3 yards deep and is such a bad tackler he gets dragged 3 yards, this view (which is unsupported by an stat I have seen) is far more an indictment of the DL than F-B or the CBs for failing to contain outside runs.

B. If in fact he is making contact and racking up tackles downfield unless the players are running right at him this view of him making most of his tackles downfield is actually a compliment to his speed, mobility, and doggidness as he clearly is tracking down runners who have escaped other Bills to tackle them six yards downfield.

C. If he is in a hole at the LOS and is being dragged downfield by tacklers this seems to indicate a problem with the Bills D scheme as they are commiting their MLB to line play and leaving the middle to safety coverage amd keep commiting a player some judge as weak for this responsiblity. Actually this view would indicate a real misunderstanding of the scheme as actually F-B has mid zone pass protection duty in the Tampa 2 version of the Cover 2.

2. The view of F-B as such a weakness simply ignores the stats. I agree that the tackle stats are not perfect, but they are certainly better than fact free opinion even if they are not perfect and most of these indictments are not supported by any facts or analysis.

A. He simply has led the Bills in tackles each year he has been here. This has to mean something but folks simply seem to dismiss it. In fact, he has tied Spielman for the record of most tackles in one season and like it or not it is a demonstration that F-B is in on a lot of plays and has a nose for the ball.

B. A look at the stats for tackles this year presents the interesting nugget that the vast vast majority of his tackles are credited as solo tackles. This factoid is important as it is an indicator that maybe he is not the weak tack;er which some folks seem to imply as he brought them down (even belatedly for some) without any help. Even more important for those who wish to blame him for the Bills shortcomings against the run is the fact that if he were not there for this solo tackle then perhaps many of these guys he brought down would still be running since no there Bill got there to even register an assist.

C. My recollection is that F-B actually was credited with more tackles than any other player in the NFL for the 5 years ending last season combined. I have yet to see a summary for this year but given his leading the Bills with being credited with what will be approaching 150 tackles likely be in the lead for combining the last 6 seasons. This is not only good praise for his durability but the quality of his work over that time.

3. The concept that he is overrated simply flies in the face of the fact he has never made the Pro Bowl despite these glossy stats. An argument that insiders know something we do not know (though I have heard nothing but praise from insiders on the team and opposing coaches like Belicheck) so he isn't that good makes more sense than a claim he is overrated because he simply is not valued as being more than a top 10 LB and not one of the top 5 by pundits.

4. The claim he has captained a contiuously failing D ignores the fact the D was actually quite productive statistically for a couple of those years (they were ranked #5 in the NFL statistically in 2003 and #2 in 2004. What explanation do folks give for differences in F-Bs play between the badly performing Ds (2005 and 2006 and actually both phases of the game were bad in 2002 but the D actually carried this RJ led team to even get 3 victories and play a number of close games for 3 quarters til they ran out of gas).

5. In addition to the D, F-B has done the unusal for a starter and has been a critical player to the ST several years. In 2003 or 4 (I can't remember which) he was the second leading KO return guy on the Bills behind McGee and fielded the short kickoffs and not only did not fumble but even returned them well for the Bills. Folks who want to badmouth him should acknowledge this reality and contribution.

Overall, he is one of the Bills who has his head screwed on straight and is in the game and understands it most of the time. When there is a problem is interesting to see F-b routinely be the one on top of the game situation almost immediately and not only making a point as though he understands what is in the Bills interest but often hitting up the right ref about the debated call right away.

6. Even if one judges F-B to be bad, how confident our folks that his likely replacement Crowell (he was a back-up MLB before being forced into the lineup by TKOs injury) is not only going to play this position regularly competently (I think he can) but will also be ready to go at the opening kick as he got IR'ed (who besides the Bills docs have a clear estimation) the same equation comes into play for those who suggest TKO take over for him (he still needs to show he can handle the move to the other side at OLB which apparently was done so he would have to cover less space and now folks want him to range from sideline to sideline as MLB. The other choice seems to be DiGregorio or some unknown FA which may make 07 another learning year for the Bills.

7. Complaints about his inability to shed blockers flies in the face of his Bills setting record first season when our DL was so weak. F-B too often had an OL player assigned specifically to block him as our DL could be handled one on one. Further, his stacking up a vast vast majority of solo tackles among his stops speaks to him making the tackle and likely shedding a block if necesaey to make the tackle on his own.

Again F-B is not the best LB in the MFL and many years not even in the AFC, but by far he is one of the best D players on the Bills and his lost would move next season backwards as much as losing most individual players on the team.

A very safe statement by London which worries the hell out of me.

Often these safe and dare I say "politically correct" (friggin hate that phrase) statements don't mean good things for folks like us.

It seems like a nice way of saying, "pay me bittch or I'm gone"