This is not what being a Bills fan is about

duey

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that this happened (at least in part, I agree it may not have happened as the article stated) or the fact that people here are trying to make excuses for it.  There is no excuse.    It reminds me a little of the Miami fight durign the game and everyone here saying how bad those guys were and should be in jail, etc.  And the players excuse was...we're just defending ourselves.  That was deplorable behavior and so is this. 

As some have stated, this goes on at all stadiums.  But, I think people should stop trying to say how much worse Foxboro is or Philly; apparently Buffalo is just as bad as any of them.

I've always watched idiots rioting in the streets after their team finally wins the Super Bowl/Stanley Cup/World Series/etc. and I've always wondered would Buffalo fans put on such a moronic display if the Bills win a Super Bowl.  I guess now I have my answer.  And as happy as I'll be that day, it will be diminished to see fires and looting in the streets with the excuse that we were just celebrating.

820993[/snapback]

Who's making excuses besides that they were probably drunk which isn't really an excuse as it is the truth?

Most people are just saying they don't believe it is exactly as the article is written where a group of Bills fans just surronded the guy and beat the crap out of him. It is not easy to believe when the article in the newspaper includes a photo trying to draw sympathy by having them stand infront of a church and the wife looking on in concern. The guys only injuries visible are the bandages on the hands. If he was beaten as badly as he says, how come only his hands are hurt? Why is this article done 10 days after the game (so assuming the picture was taken atleast a day or 2 before the article was printed) It just smells fishy to most people (not that it happened, but that it happened the exact way it was written) and people would like to hear the other side of the story before taking this as facts. Its not like this was an article in the Buffalo News which would not have a pro NE Bias to it.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kind of crap is EXACTLY why I rarely go to games. It seems that many people are more interested in drinking than enjoying the game.

Hell, I'm a Bills fan and have had bad experiences at games because of other Bills fans. Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Who's making excuses besides that they were probably drunk which isn't really an excuse as it is the truth?

Most people are just saying they don't believe it is exactly as the article is written where a group of Bills fans just surronded the guy and beat the crap out of him. It is not easy to believe when the article in the newspaper includes a photo trying to draw sympathy by having them stand infront of a church and the wife looking on in concern. The guys only injuries visible are the bandages on the hands. If he was beaten as badly as he says, how come only his hands are hurt? Why is this article done 10 days after the game (so assuming the picture was taken atleast a day or 2 before the article was printed) It just smells fishy to most people (not that it happened, but that it happened the exact way it was written) and people would like to hear the other side of the story before taking this as facts. Its not like this was an article in the Buffalo News which would not have a pro NE Bias to it.

821069[/snapback]

Somehow I don't think anybody would be saying it sounds "fishy" if the exactly same article were written about a Bills fan getting beaten up at a Pat or Fin game. Sure the article was poorly written and in bad journalistic taste but that doesn't make it not true.

Anybody that's ever been to a Bills games can see how this scenario could easily happen. I've been to 8 games at Rich/RW stadium and I've never seen less than, oh, 7 fights break out on any given Sunday. Contrast that to the 7 games I've been to in other stadiums around the country (including 3 at Giants stadium vs. the Jets) where I think I've seen a grand total of 7 fights, if that.

It's so bad that after my wife and I had our first child she told me that she really didn't want me to take him to any football game at RWS because of all the violence. I agree with her, if I go to another game at the Ralph I’ll be going solo or with a friend and my family will remain at home.

821069[/snapback]

I understand what you're saying. I just think people saying he probably provoked it; therefore what do you expect.... is wrong in every sense.

If I may offer (as devil's advocate only) regarding the timing and photo: Perhaps it took 10 days, because the guys been laid up recovering? Perhaps other bruises to the body are covered by his shirt? The picture was probably taken yesterday. I've been interviewed and in multiple papers around the country; typically, they've written the story and taken any photos all in one day with an evening deadline to make the next day's paper. Sometimes, the story is written and then the editor sends a photographer out to get a shot to go with it, so they could hold the story for a day..at most. Granted this is not a high profile piece, so it could be a different timeline than what I've experienced.

JOHN WINGER C'mon its BUFFALO. We zip in , we pick em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to PHILI. Its BUFFALO. Its like were going to WISCONSIN.

RUSSELL ZISKEY Well, I got the sh-- kicked out of me in BUFFALO once...obvious new substitution...or atleast what that poor guy will say the rest of his life.

Somehow I don't think anybody would be saying it sounds "fishy" if the exactly same article were written about a Bills fan getting beaten up at a Pat or Fin game.  Sure the article was poorly written and in bad journalistic taste but that doesn't make it not true.

Anybody that's ever been to a Bills games can see how this scenario could easily happen.  I've been to 8 games at Rich/RW stadium and I've never seen less than, oh, 7 fights break out on any given Sunday.  Contrast that to the 7 games I've been to in other stadiums around the country (including 3 at Giants stadium vs. the Jets) where I think I've seen a grand total of 7 fights, if that.

It's so bad that after my wife and I had our first child she told me that she really didn't want me to take him to any football game at RWS because of all the violence.  I agree with her, if I go to another game at the Ralph I’ll be going solo or with a friend and my family will remain at home.

821085[/snapback]

I'm sure if it was the other way around your right, Buffalo fans would be enraged and would believe every word, but that doesn't make it any less/more true. "Everyone thinks their shite don't stink" and that they are the best and most dedicated and well behaved fans in the league and that something like this would never go on in their home stadium, but it does.

Parts of the story don't seem to add up, and that is why I say I would want to hear the other side of the story before I believe that this happened EXCATLY how it was written by the media of the other team. This is also a reporter writing the article from the view of the victim who of course ins;t going to sit there and say I was beaten after I made comments and provoked the Bills fans as they walked to their car or through out the entire game (not syaing that it makes a beating ok, but just using it as an example) He also isn't going to say that he threw the first punch, or attacked first. Thats why unless I was there or heard both sides of the story I am skeptical. There are always 3 sides of the story. The victims, the other persons, and the truth.

I also know that fights break out in the stands, thats what happens when guys get together and with the sole purpose of getting drunk and watching a very physical kind of event. But not all fights are gang attacks or attacks against the other teams fans. And stuff like this happens EVERYWHERE, not just at one Stadium.

Nice photo in front of the church.  :(

I'm not buying the innocent victim story.  Something was said or done on his end to provoke this.

821096[/snapback]

BS, the only thing this dude did wrong was hang out after the game to tailgate. I don't know how many of you do this on a regular basis but I have a couple times in the past. Not exactly the cream of the crop hanging out afterwards. I have zero trouble believing this guy got his ass kicked for doing nothing. I've seen a guy in a Pats jersey knocked out with one punch, from behind, when walking up the ramp to his seats. Security was on it right away, but there is no excuse for it.

This is sickening.

Unfortunately, I have seen this type of behavior at the Ralph and other stadiums.

I just do not understand the desire to get in a fight or beat up someone just because he is a fan of another team.

In most cases, the trigger is too much alcohol. Even though I have been known to have more than my fair share of beer etc., the sooner stadiums stop selling alcohol or allowing people in the stadium that have already been drinking all day, the sooner this sh*t will stop.

Is it too late for me to get the Buffalo News to write a story about the death threats and the punch to the neck that I got while walking out of the Fleet Center after a Sabres-Bruins game last year?

821057[/snapback]

Just curious....do you continue to wear the out of town jersey, etc. when you visit other cities to attend games? You see, this makes no sense to me. Again, I am NOT talking about what is right and wrong here.

If you wore regular clothes, you would not have been a target for this a-hole.

Personally, I never wear Bills colors to the Meadowlands, nor would I wear them to any other stadium except of course RWS.

I love the Bills, but I also love my ass, and I don't want it kicked inside out by a mob of d&6chebags.

DirecTV is a good thing too, ya know? :(

Just curious....do you continue to wear the out of town jersey, etc. when you visit other cities to attend games? You see, this makes no sense to me. Again, I am NOT talking about what is right and wrong here.

Personally, I never wear Bills colors to the Meadowlands, nor would I wear them to any other stadium except of course RWS.

I love the Bills, but I also love my ass, and I don't want it kicked inside out by a mob of d&6chebags.

DirecTV is a good thing too, ya know?  :(

821133[/snapback]

I agree, we go to an away game every year & I never wear my bills stuff. Your just asking for it. Sad commentary on today's society I guess.

821133[/snapback]

I think it depends moreso on your behavior as opposed to what you're wearing. My friend and I went to a Sabres-Flyers game about six years ago and we both had jerseys on, expecting the worst. We didn't drink our faces off, we didn't stand up and taunt everyone when Buffalo scored...we just had a good time. The people around us were cool, we had some friendly rivalries going and the guys next to us shook hands with us and said, "We'll get ya next time" after Buffalo won.

If you're in an opposing stadium/arena, wearing a jersey and being overly obnoxious, that will get you attention everytime whether you want it or not.

821133[/snapback]

Actually, now that I think about it, the punch was at a college hockey game. I just happened to be walking down a stairwell (wearing my team's jersey) as the entire student section of the other school was walking up the stairs. Wrong place, wrong time. They were all pretty harmless, taunting me nonstop, but then one idiot decided to try to punch me. Since I have a lot of common sense, I just kept walking because yeah, that would've gotten ugly really fast.

But anyway, the death threats did happen at a Sabres-Bruins game, and yes, I was wearing a Sabres jersey. I'm not an !@#$ during these games, so I'm safe. The ones who end up getting attacked are the ones who go out of their way to gain attention.

821133[/snapback]

I've worn a Bills jersey to the Meadowlands every time I've gone and other than some good natured ribbing have never had ANY problems. No beer thrown on me or any threats. Of course, I make a point not to get carried away with cheering (not that the Bills generally have anything to cheer about).

Honestly I've had more issues at the Ralph than I have at opposing teams stadiums. I've had beer hit me at the Ralph (though it wasn't aimed at me) and also had a guy who could barely stand up he was so drunk try to goad me into a fight for no reason whatsoever.

Sadly I feel safer wearing Bills colors to opposing stadiums than I do going to the Ralph.

Actually, now that I think about it, the punch was at a college hockey game.  I just happened to be walking down a stairwell (wearing my team's jersey) as the entire student section of the other school was walking up the stairs.  Wrong place, wrong time.  They were all pretty harmless, taunting me nonstop, but then one idiot decided to try to punch me.  Since I have a lot of common sense, I just kept walking because yeah, that would've gotten ugly really fast.

But anyway, the death threats did happen at a Sabres-Bruins game, and yes, I was wearing a Sabres jersey.  I'm not an !@#$ during these games, so I'm safe.  The ones who end up getting attacked are the ones who go out of their way to gain attention.

821149[/snapback]

once I was at Mickey Rats in Buffalo..I bumped into this little goofball..he got tough with me and told me..."3 phone calls and I could have you killed" I laughed and asked him why it took 3..he looked confused and walked away...that has been my only experience with a death threat...

I think it depends moreso on your behavior as opposed to what you're wearing.  My friend and I went to a Sabres-Flyers game about six years ago and we both had jerseys on, expecting the worst.  We didn't drink our faces off, we didn't stand up and taunt everyone when Buffalo scored...we just had a good time.  The people around us were cool, we had some friendly rivalries going and the guys next to us shook hands with us and said, "We'll get ya next time" after Buffalo won. 

If you're in an opposing stadium/arena, wearing a jersey and being overly obnoxious, that will get you attention everytime whether you want it or not.

821144[/snapback]

I don't dispute this. It merely (imo) becomes a question as to whether or not the risk of wearing a Bills jacket to any other stadium is worth the reward.

If you sit there incog and be relatively quiet, it increases your odds of not getting involved with a-holes.

Maybe I am the wrong person to discuss this with. Personally, I doubt if I will ever go to any other stadium ever again. Ya never know, but lately I have even turned down free Bills/Jets tickets in the swamp.

I like it at RWS, and would rather attend games there. :(

Sadly I feel safer wearing Bills colors to opposing stadiums than I do going to the Ralph.

821153[/snapback]

I believe you, but this has not been my experience. Not even close, and the Patsies game was my 13th consecutive annual trip to the Ralph.

In fact, I have been treated with nothing but kindness each and every trip to RWS, even before I knew about Lot 1/Pole 5 or TBD.

BS, the only thing this dude did wrong was hang out after the game to tailgate. I don't know how many of you do this on a regular basis but I have a couple times in the past. Not exactly the cream of the crop hanging out afterwards. I have zero trouble believing this guy got his ass kicked for doing nothing. I've seen a guy in a Pats jersey knocked out with one punch, from behind, when walking up the ramp to his seats. Security was on it right away, but there is no excuse for it.

821117[/snapback]

wife and i like to hang out after the game . some people are !@#$s others are just having a good time

this is definately uncool and its unfortunate that this happened to that person,but boston is alot worse.when the redsox won the world series they were starting fights with people from new york who werent even baseball fans and they showed on the news all the cars they were burning that had ny plates...yeah thtas right they were lighting cars on fire.so this was unfortunate but it happens everywhere.

Whether this happens elsewhere, I always liked to think that people from Buffalo were better than that.

I still think that the core group of people from Buffalo (and Bills and Sabres fans) are better than that, but unfortunately, I have seen the behavior of others that taints the rest of us.

I have a four year old son that I have wanted to take to a game, but sadly that is probably going to have to wait until he is older.

There's nothing more retarded than going to a road game, seeing your team win and then mocking the hometown fans. Doesn't call for the Rodney King treatment, but the guy shouldn't be surprised if that's what happened.

821192[/snapback]

So taking a leak in a porta john is mocking the hometown fans?

There's nothing more retarded than going to a road game, seeing your team win and then mocking the hometown fans. Doesn't call for the Rodney King treatment, but the guy shouldn't be surprised if that's what happened.

821192[/snapback]

Do you really think that a guy who attended the game with his pregnant wife after going to Niagara Falls mocked a large group of Bills fans?!?

Even if half of what these people said happened is true, and based on his injuries there is no reason to believe they are lying, this was an embarassing and shameful display.  It's one thing to hear about Eagles and Jets fans doing this kind of thing, but for it to happen at the Ralph is very disappointing.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional...rticleid=164972

820886[/snapback]

I take that BH story with a hearty grain of salt. If this guy is anything like a typical Pats fan at games in years past, he no doubt hurled some insulting potty mouthed epithets at folks in Bills garb. I didn't attend this years game, but I've seen enough Pats fans at RWS in the past and most fit into the A-hole category. Doesn't make it right , but you're best off letting sleeping dogs lie in "enemy" territory. BH "article" sounds a bit biased, like someone smelling a lawsuit looking for some "good" press. :(

yup....and he didnt get two broken hands from just being"attacked"

821196[/snapback]

I don't buy that he went out of the way to provoke a crowd while attending the game with his pregnant wife.

By the way, if a crowd attacked me, I probably would have shattered finger and one broken hand as well (from trying to protect myself).

So taking a leak in a porta john is mocking the hometown fans?

821194[/snapback]

What did he do before going to the Porta John, or on his way there, or while cooking by his vehicle?

You don't know just like no one here knows, and I doubt even the reporter who wrote the story knows becasue they weren't there, and thats why as I said earlier, I would want to hear the other side of the story because there's always 3 sides to a story, the victims, the other guys, and the truth.

No one here is condoning beating the crap out of fans of other teams, or that fights don't happen at RWS, all people are saying is they don't believe the entire story and think they are leaving parts out. They don't believe this guy was just standing around in the parking lot with his wife and was attacked in the parking lot completly unprovoked.

What did he do before going to the Porta John, or on his way there, or while cooking by his vehicle?

You don't know just like no one here knows, and I doubt even the reporter who wrote the story knows becasue they weren't there, and thats why as I said earlier, I would want to hear the other side of the story because there's always 3 sides to a story, the victims, the other guys, and the truth.

No one here is condoning beating the crap out of fans of other teams, or that fights don't happen at RWS, all people are saying is they don't believe the entire story and think they are leaving parts out. They don't believe this guy was just standing around in the parking lot with his wife and was attacked in the parking lot completly unprovoked.

821219[/snapback]

Of course I don't know what happened. That's why I, unlike JSP, have not jumped to conclusions. And why do they not believe they were attacked unprovoked. Every been to a Raider game wearing your Bills colors? I have and have been attacked unprovoked.

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that this happened (at least in part, I agree it may not have happened as the article stated) or the fact that people here are trying to make excuses for it. 

820993[/snapback]

Find any fingers in your chili lately?

Whether this happens elsewhere, I always liked to think that people from Buffalo were better than that.

I still think that the core group of people from Buffalo (and Bills and Sabres fans) are better than that, but unfortunately, I have seen the behavior of others that taints the rest of us.

I have a four year old son that I have wanted to take to a game, but sadly that is probably going to have to wait until he is older.

821191[/snapback]

Sit between the 10 yard lines and you are fine...

Ya know what? I don't care. Whatether it's right or wrong you have to know better than to do that. It's like wearing a Klan outfit on the East Side. You SHOULD have the right to express yourself however you want, the reality is that you put yourself in danger by doing it. Of the 75,000 people at an event like that the liklihood of running into 20 to 30 drunken/angry and/or stupid people is very high and you should be aware of that before you do it. That stadium is the size of a small city on game day. You won't find a city of that size anywhere in the world that doesn't have a minority of angry, frustrated people who need little provocation for violence.

It isn't right or ok that those people did that and they should be punished severely but you have to take some responsibility for yourself as a person and realize:

a: you are tremendously outnumbered

b: your team is probably going to win by many points

c: this will anger and frustrate many people

d: many of these people will have been drinking heavily

Boston has no room to talk about this either. I challenge the person who wrote it to go to a Red Sox game dressed in Yankee gear. Anyone think he won't have a big problem? Especially if he mouths off to someone, even a little bit?

This should not have happened, but it does happen and this guy didn't do anything to prevent it from happening to himself. I'm sure that some of you are annoyed right now because I'm suggesting that the Pats fan should have acted differently to protect himself. If this is the wrong way of thinking, why do you lock your car, or your house, or put your wallet in your front pocket when you're in a crowd, or avoid driving through a bad neighborhood at night even when you aren't doing anything wrong? Because you are taking responsibility for protecting yourself from the minority of people in a large group that will do you harm even though you didn't really do anything to deserve it. You PREVENT the problem which is what this guy could have done by choosing his outfit diffrently.

Every been to a Raider game wearing your Bills colors?

821221[/snapback]

Yeah - in both Oakland and Inglewood - and never had any problems, but didn't go outa my way to cause any either.

Why do some people think that a guy "attending the game with his pregnant wife" would never taunt or provoke, but they have no problem believing that a group of unprovoked Bills fans would attack a nice, quiet guy and his pregnant wife???!!! :pirate:

I took another look at the story and the picture - the guy looks pretty big, and she's no 'delicate flower' either. His 'broken face' looks fine in that photo - only the bandages look a bit "fishy". Plus, they're from Woburn - which places them only slightly higher on the evolutionary scale than someone from Charlestown, or Revere.

I'm not saying it couldn't have happened, or that it didn't, but I'm not buyin' into it just 'cause it's in The Herald either.

I need more facts.