Losman on the trading block?

Gambler

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also a mention at the bottom that the Bills are targeting Winston Justice in the first and not Ngata.

I liked Charles Robinson's coverage of the combine, but this just seems crazy. Well, I guess we'll find out how crazy it is eventually.

I really would like to see the Bills keep J.P. If they cut him, who replaces him? I would think that means the Bills are indeed looking at one of the top-three QBs in the draft, but, as I just typed, Robinson says the Bills are after Justice.

B-)

hmm...a quarterback of unproven talent who "can't lead" and in whom the team has no confidence? Yup..there will be 31 teams lining up at our doors for the opportunity to get him. We might even get another number one draft choice! Let's get real. If they feel that way about him, let him go and do it now. I don't understand why they would feel that way, and can't really respect Marv or Dick if they are polling the players on whether the kid can "lead". Tell them to stop thinking about judging leadership and start thinking about their inability to pass block.

All heresay and speculation. Just like putting two and two together loosely and calling it "journalism". Let me run it by you how most of these guys think:

"Hmmm....Philly needs a #1 receiver...Buffalo is looking to trade Moulds..."

I got it: "Philly shows interest in disgruntled Buffalo receiver!" Print it!

All I can say is JP must have some type of issue if his teammates lost respect for him that fast.....That has been the rumor about him all along though, guys just don't like him.

645626[/snapback]

Why is this rumor always regurgitated by second-tier media types from out of town? How come the local beat guys or TV and radio "personalities" are not picking up on this hot insight??

This is way, way too vauge for this type of claim:

Two league sources indicated Tuesday...

That doesn't mean crap. So, how would some official who works at the NFL HQ know what the Bills are going to do? Oh, maybe they don't work at the NFL HQ; then tell me they work for a team -- tell me how they would be in the know.

This is reporting 101, and Robinson is failing.

no surprise here.  i called it earlier on this board.  signing nall was an indication levy/jauron weren't sold on losman and didn't have him as #1 in their mind.

645641[/snapback]

They did need another qb. I wouldn't read too much into that sign.

I hope that this thread doesn't degenerate into another media bashing.

I doubt that JP will be traded because it would be hard to get anything close to what TD squandered away in order to get him. It would probably pay to keep him for a year to see if he is any good.

That said, JP has sucked so far, and trading away a player who sucks is never an impossibility, or so one would think.

If the Bills give up on JP this early I will join every single doom and gloom poster on this board and it will show this team is in nothing but shambles and Marv and Ralph need to go. Cause bringing in GB third stringer and expecting him to succeed as the new starter is about as crazy as expecting JP to carry us to the playoffs after not starting and missing most of his first season.

I really doubt i will listen to something that has only been reported on by a guy righting for Yahoo sports (I'm sure they are just one notch below NFL.com or the teams official site when it comes to reporting news)

Nall as the No. 1 and (Kelly) Holcomb as the backup

That may be the most disturbing thing I've read in a very long time.

Let's turn the reigns over to a guy who attempted 33 passes over the last four seasons? Zero last year? His numbers are almost exact to another former Bills great Rob Johnson.

If JP is not the guy so be it. Then Marv has failed big time by not going out and getting his starter. Right now it looks like it is JP, Holcomb or you run the Wing-T. B-)

Let's turn the reigns over to a guy who attempted 33 passes over the last four seasons? Zero last year? His numbers are almost exact to another former Bills great Rob Johnson. 

If JP is not the guy so be it. Then Marv has failed big time by not going out and getting his starter. Right now it looks like it is JP, Holcomb or you run the Wing-T.  B-)

645686[/snapback]

Most disturbing thing since when? Since TD named JP the starter for no reason?

645689[/snapback]

There was a reason. The reason was that this team couldn't win with Bledsoe. That was proven. JP happened to be the young QB on the roster and they gave him a shot. It happens more often then you think. Look at what the Chargers are doing.

JP was hit with a bad injury at the worst time. Then he was thown to the lions without one decent lineman to protect him.

People are going to hate on JP because that's what Bills fans do. The Bills are going nowhere this season so it'a a perfect time to build a line and give the kid his shot. The only problem I have is when will Marv start to address the O-line?

Don't believe everything you read but I found this on yahoo when checking my fantasy baseball team....

ORLANDO, Fla. – Teams in search of a quarterback on the trade market could be in line for yet another young talent in the coming weeks: J.P. Losman.

Two league sources indicated Tuesday that Losman hasn't gained the confidence of the Buffalo Bills' new regime. Both sources expect the team to put the former first-round pick on the trade block before the start of the 2006 season – if he isn't already there.

Bills general manager Marv Levy declared the quarterback position an open race last week after signing Craig Nall to a three-year contract, and it was widely believed the former Green Bay Packers reserve QB would compete with Losman for starting duties. But one personnel man familiar with the situation said he expects Levy to put out trade feelers for Losman in the coming weeks.

"I think it's going to be something that boils down to Nall as the No. 1 and (Kelly) Holcomb as the backup," he said. "If you went through the locker room and people were honest, (there would be) a lot of people who aren't sold on Losman as a leader."

When asked if Losman could still win the support of Levy and teammates in the coming weeks, the source painted the situation as "doubtful."

"The biggest advocates of (Losman as a starter) are gone, but he's still a guy who has trade value," he said. "If Nall ends up being the starter and Holcomb is a solid backup you can rely on, why would you have Losman sitting at the bottom (of the depth chart) when you can still get something out there for him?"

The advocates that were mentioned are ex-general manager Tom Donahoe and ex-head coach Mike Mularkey. Interestingly, Mularkey is now the offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins – a team that is actively seeking a backup quarterback and exploring a possible trade for the Detroit Lions' Joey Harrington. However, the Dolphins also are looking for a veteran backup who has a generous amount of starting experience, and Losman doesn't seem to fit the profile.

If there is any inclination to move Losman, the Bills haven't shown it publicly – outside of bringing Nall in to vie for starting honors. New head coach Dick Jauron has been supportive and complimentary of Losman so far, and said Tuesday he's hoping Nall's acquisition will spur some healthy competition.

"(Losman has) had two years now to develop," Jauron said. "He had to play a lot last year. It was thrown on him early. It was a difficult situation to be in for a young guy. So he's got a real chance (to improve in his third year). He's got all that physical talent. He can run. He's got a strong arm. He's a smart guy. He's not afraid to work. He's got a lot of upside to him. We've got to give him a chance to get it out. Hopefully those other guys competing will force the hand a little bit and make them all better."

"(Nall) obviously doesn't have a lot of playing time. But when he's played he's performed well. He's been accurate with the football. He's a good decision maker. He's got experience. We're not teaching the guy how to play. All he has to do is transfer information. He should be able to step up and compete. He's got good size (6-foot-3, 230 pounds). I like his size – his height in the pocket. I like his demeanor. I like the way he handled himself in interviews. He's a very competitive guy. He believes he can be a starter and should be a starter."

Should Vince Young be getting fitted for his Bills uniform? Now there would be a sight.

Trading Losman is a BAD IDEA. The guy has...what...8 starts under his belt? If he bombs next season after starting again, then yeah...fine...trade him or release him. But doing so now just seems like jumping the gun.

I'm not going to read another one of this 'tard's articles until he grows some pubes.

What a joke. Ohh! look i can impress all my 4th grade friends by reading rumors and combining them into a specualtion article. and a "league source" could be the janitor that empties the port-o-shitter outside the league offices.

These stories are such baloney. It takes time for QB's to develop. Why throw away the time invested to date? I did like this part though:

"(Nall) obviously doesn't have a lot of playing time. But when he's played he's performed well. He's been accurate with the football. He's a good decision maker. He's got experience. We're not teaching the guy how to play. All he has to do is transfer information. He should be able to step up and compete. He's got good size (6-foot-3, 230 pounds). I like his size – his height in the pocket. I like his demeanor. I like the way he handled himself in interviews. He's a very competitive guy. He believes he can be a starter and should be a starter."

645724[/snapback]

I'm not going to read another one of this 'tard's articles until he grows some pubes.

What a joke. Ohh! look i can impress all my 4th grade friends by reading rumors and combining them into a specualtion article. and a "league source" could be the janitor that empties the port-o-shitter outside the league offices.

645733[/snapback]

Agreed... Many on this baord could have written a more credible article.

My guess is that "Two league sources " = Eric Moulds and his advisor.

If JP is not the guy so be it. Then Marv has failed big time by not going out and getting his starter. Right now it looks like it is JP, Holcomb or you run the Wing-T.  B-)

645686[/snapback]

What IF Nall outplays JP for the starting job? Is it really that unthinkable? Nalls #'s are comparable to RJs?

645689[/snapback]

I don't know how to break it to you but teams eventually put their 1st round drafted QBs into the starting lineup within the first two years without having them "compete" for the job. It's how you get value out of the selection as they're not going to get better sitting on the bench. Unfortunately for the Bills (and the fans) those other teams generally don't yank the chain of the QB all season long, they stick it out with him through thick and thin (and usually do so for a second year as well). If a team isn't willing to do this then they have no buisness selecting a QB in the first round.

Funny thought though...could you imagine what would happen to The Wall if we drafted Jay Cutler with the #8 overall pick?

645745[/snapback]

Eight starts into Cutler's career as a Bill the fans would be calling him a bust and there would be rumors that he was on the trade block.

Looks like two threads on same subject.

You don't just get rid of a 1st round QB that you invested 2 years training. QB's take time to develop. It should be encouraging to read this part:

645724[/snapback]

Marv may have gotten a starter very cheap. Either way the better QB will be starting. There will be no trade without competition first.

Next year at earliest.