Dan Orlovsky: Bills offensive weapons are top five in the AFC, too many are sleeping on this team

Logic

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

Who do you trade for Aiyuk?  I like the idea. 

I am not trying to start a fight but what exactly does Aiyuk bring to the table that Samuels does not?  You can make the case Samuels is better because of his abilities in the rushing game.  Aiyuk has returned punts and samuels has returned kicks.   The big difference to me is that Aiyuk has been in offensive heaven in shannahan's offense and samuels has been in NFL purgatory in D.C.

Aiyuk requires giving up a valuable draft pick plus he wants to be the highest paid wr in the league at the moment.

So again, what exactly does he do that is special that would make the buffalo front office say we have to go get that guy....especially when they signed samuels for 3 years.

I can see the desire for metcalf, he is unique.  I have zero understanding in what it is people are pining for in Aiyuk and Deebo.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

This thread confuses me. For discussion purposes, lets say the Bills have the fifth best offensive weapons in the AFC.  Top 5 offense  out of 16, is not particularly dramatic. The Bills are also a top five betting favorite to win the Super Bowl.    Who are these people "sleeping on the Bills?"

Edited by Chaos

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Their skill sets couldn't be more different.

Clearly Aiyuk is more physically talented and the better blocker.

However if taken out of that system in SF and then given the biggest wr contract in the nfl is he worth it?  

For what buffalo would have to give up and then pay for aiyuk is he that much of a difference maker over a guy like samuels who has very similar numbers, is roughly the same size and has a history with brady.  I just don't see it.

He plays on a team filled with elite talent on offense in the leagues premiere offensive system.   It really doesn't seem like they have any interest in trading him anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This thread confuses me. For discussion purposes, lets say the Bills have the fifth best offensive weapons in the AFC.  Top 5 offense  out of 16, is not particularly dramatic. The Bills are also a top five betting favorite to win the Super Bowl.    Who are these people "sleeping on the Bills?"

People here.  Many are hating on our WRs

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/24/2024 at 11:02 AM, PonyBoy said:

I referred to Josh as our point guard in a couple of posts after the Diggs trade. Orlovski stole my metaphor.

Can I have an atta boy here? 😀

Oh he meant “point guard” when he said “PG”?

I thought he meant boring. Like “Josh has to play PG 90% of the time, but 10% of the time he gets to play rated R”

that makes more sense 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Dan Orlovsky is writing stories about the feelings of posters on TBD? That seems wierd. 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Oh he meant “point guard” when he said “PG”?

I thought he meant boring. Like “Josh has to play PG 90% of the time, but 10% of the time he gets to play rated R”

that makes more sense 

It drives me nuts as we head into yet another McDermott year, there is no clear plan on how to run the offense. Every year seems like an experiment for the future for this team. 

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

As well as the national pundits who don't really watch the games and just go by past history.  They see the players the Bills lost and extrapolate from there.  They didn't pay any attention to how ineffective those players were in the second half of last season.

• Agree 1

With a multi-dimensional threat like Josh at QB, it's hard for offensive teammates to be catastrophically bad. Then again, how far is that top 5 in the conference, paired with a defense that seems to lose its mojo come playoffs time, supposed to take them?

Sadly, there is quite a gap between "don't suck" and championship caliber.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Dan Orlovsky is writing stories about the feelings of posters on TBD? That seems wierd. 

It drives me nuts as we head into yet another McDermott year, there is no clear plan on how to run the offense. Every year seems like an experiment for the future for this team. 

The plan is to have a balanced attack instead of a diva who disappears in the playoffs and second half of last season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Just for the sake of clarity, you're talking about Steve Diggs... correct?

Objection! Leading the witness, your honor 

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I know it pry won't happen but a trade for Aiyuk would make these weapons among the best.  Having Aiyuk, Coleman, Samuel, Shakir, and Kincaid at least the next two/three season would be maximizing our Super Bowl window with Josh still in his prime.

Absolute a WR1 would make this Josh’s best weapon group. Extremely self evident.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Andrews? Dude has had 2 years with 70+ receptions. 

Yes, Andrews. He’s been TE1 in stretches. Injuries and JACKSON have held him back. The Bills have nobody like him. They might, but we can’t seriously say the Kincaid will be as good as Andrews is next season. We hope he is, but that’s a HUGE projection. 

Hey! Can I just add, regardless of how many WRs got drafted before KC0, we have an organizational sign-off on a rookie WR1 coming to town this season. It should be hella fun watching this play out. Coleman is going to make some catches that we haven’t seen here in a while, maybe ever. He is going to go up and take one away from the defensive and look like a superior, talented. mega beast compared to all other players on the field. And he’s a personality. This is going to be cool. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/24/2024 at 11:55 AM, The Jokeman said:

I agree with you as the problem is as a group outside of Kincaid none of them would be definite as elite and/or great as individuals so some fail to see it. I mean look at the Ravens, I think most would agree that we don't have anyone near as good as Andrews but beyond Andrews would say the rest of ours are better then the rest of theres. I realize some will debate Andrews and Zay Flowers are better than what we have at #1 TE and #1WR but again past that think our overall group simply better or as a famous philosopher said years ago the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. 

He left out the part

If properly Coached

:)

Then the equation is true

22 hours ago, eball said:

I'm amazed by how many fans don't want to acknowledge the concept of quantity (multiple "good" players) over quality (a true WR1) when you have an all-world QB who can distribute the ball.

It puts SO much more pressure on the defense when they can't just try to take away one strength.

Guys still have to get open. It doesn't help Josh if he's continually having to go to his 3rd/ 4th/5th read cuz 1st and 2nd are covered.  Sacks will go up.

You can't mask quality with quantity. 
We're taking a chance that guys will either step up or reverse their career trajectory to date.  No one, besides perhaps Cook and Kincaid, are proven and even those guys have only one year of demonstrated success

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

It does though. That’s what “deep” means.  Ever heard the term “top heavy” with regards to sports?  Talent up top but lacking talent on the bottom.  Deep is having good depth…. Hence using the word deep.  Having 2 elite wrs and 4 terrible WRs doesn’t equal a deep unit.  

You think all WR 4-6 are all equal too?  Cool.  I don’t.  I think teams can have better positional depth than others.  I think this WR has better depth than in years past.  I think our starters this year are weaker than the previous 4 seasons.  

yes, I think MVS and Hollins are better than Harty and Sherfield just like I thought Sherfield and Harty were better than Kumerow and dummy.  They aren’t obscene takes by any means, but do you.  

I think the whole concept of the Bills having a "deeper" WR corps thing started when they signed Curtis Samuel and everyone assumed they would also select a WR in round 1.........and probably trade up to get one of the top 4-5.

Samuel was going to be WR4......coming off another 600+ yard season.

Yeah, that's good depth.

But then they traded Diggs and ended up with the 8th best WR off the board(a younger player who looks like a project in Coleman).

Now, the Bills just have a whole bunch of guys who have never even had a single 900 yard season in the NFL for the first time since the mid 1980's.    Coleman never even hit 800 yards in college.    

Guys coming off 200-300 yard seasons and projecting to be your 4th and 5th WR is not notable "depth" either.    

What they have is a very suspect WR corps.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I think beane/McDermott know what they're doing. Every season we seem to say "what are they doing!?" and then somehow, they end up being right (for the most part). I think Joe Brady has a plan in place with the offensive group the bills have. I said it a few months ago, and I'll say it again, nobody we lost this offseason had a huge impact on games. I think losing Morse sucks, but everyone else is replaceable. Our best games last season were with Diggs basically being nonexistent. I hope other teams and fans sleep on the bills offense. I can't wait to see these guys thrive 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I think beane/McDermott know what they're doing. Every season we seem to say "what are they doing!?" and then somehow, they end up being right (for the most part). I think Joe Brady has a plan in place with the offensive group the bills have. I said it a few months ago, and I'll say it again, nobody we lost this offseason had a huge impact on games. I think losing Morse sucks, but everyone else is replaceable. Our best games last season were with Diggs basically being nonexistent. I hope other teams and fans sleep on the bills offense. I can't wait to see these guys thrive 

Until the playoffs. And also, while it was an impressive run to overcome devastating injuries and Dorsey as OC, I don't think white-knuckle must win games the second half of the season ought to be the norm for the Buffalo Bills with Josh Allen at qb. There's no way to know before the fact, but I remain unimpressed with the WR room. I don't think it's been managed well. Those who are satisfied find it convenient to use second half Diggs and disappointing Davis as the standard for comparison. I don't grant that. The proper measure ought to be what a truly superior WR room would look like.

By a more objective criteria, the top of our WR room is not good. With apologies to my pal @NewEra, I just don't think the possibility (and that's all it can be at this point), that the bottom half of the room is better than in past years makes up for the obvious lack of proven excellence at the top. Maybe Brady schemes guys open and TE and RB take up the slack. Maybe we are so diversified, the offense is difficult to plan for. Great, none of that answers to the inadequacies of the WR room. Having a genuine WR1 doesn't make the new strategy obsolete, it just gives you more firepower to work with, and the benefit of a plus level talent that demands attention, and can make those elite plays that only the very few "freakazoid" types can accomplish.

Maybe Coleman progresses faster than I suppose, and I hope he does. I don't think he is a replacement for Diggs. He is an upgrade for Davis. They don't have a replacement for what Diggs was when he was actually contributing to the offense. I agree that getting rid of his toxic character that manifest last year is a plus, and not forcing balls to a player that was not playing up to his past performance is also an opportunity for Josh Allen to make more mature and intelligent selections. He hasn't always done that, for whatever reason.

In sum, thriving is still a very rosy best case projection. No one who is a Bills' fan doesn't want that to occur, but if it happens this year, a lot of low probability bets have to work out well.

• Like (+1) 1