Dewayne Carter involved lawsuit against NCAA to pay players.

Whkfc

Posted (edited)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2024/05/23/ncaa-power-five-schools-pay-college-athletes/73826968007/

The other, on behalf of former Duke football player DeWayne Carter, could have been the most devastating of all to the NCAA and the conferences. Like the case that has been allowed to proceed in Colorado, it seeks an injunction that would bar any NCAA rules that prevent such an open market – basically the creation of a formalized pay-for-play system in which athletes can be paid by their schools for their athletic services.

Edited by Whkfc

1 minute ago, Whkfc said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2024/05/23/ncaa-power-five-schools-pay-college-athletes/73826968007/

The other, on behalf of former Duke football player DeWayne Carter, could have been the most devastating of all to the NCAA and the conferences. Like the case that has been allowed to proceed in Colorado, it seeks an injunction that would bar any NCAA rules that prevent such an open market – basically the creation of a formalized pay-for-play system in which athletes can be paid by their schools for their athletic services.

To say this is a huge event is a very large understatement. Wow!

8 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Should be little league players too

I would’ve been a millionaire… I was once the number 1 pick in my league…

Sorry, but it’s my only claim to fame…gotta milk it as much as I can…😉👍

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I would’ve been a millionaire… I was once the number 1 pick in my league…

Sorry, but it’s my only claim to fame…gotta milk it as much as I can…😉👍

I was 2nd in high jump in 5th grade, so…

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I didn't know these lawsuits were pending.  Silly me.   This will change college sports forever.   It will suck the profit out of lots of programs, and without the profits, the programs will struggle. 

Just to get some sense of what this will mean:   Imagine if Josh Allen, after his breakout season at Wyoming, could have "entered the portal" (in other words, become a free agent).   Some school like Alabama or Southern Cal would have offered him a couple million dollars to transfer.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Whkfc said:

Just do away with the college system go to minor system like hockey and we can watch these giys go broke even faster when they retire.

Division 1 hockey.. is now considered at the same level of major Junior Canadian hockey 

Nobody goes right to the ahl from North America... They play juniors in Canada or the USHL or D1

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Time to do away with college football.  Carter is one of the lucky 1.6% percent of college football players who were drafted to the NFL.   For the other 98.6% of college football players who will not go on to play in the NFL, having their tuition and degree paid for should be more than enough.  I am fine with the stars of college football being able to use their name and likeness to make money, but to actually pay these guys a paycheck to play football, give me a break.  

Stop the nonsense.  Make a minor league system for football and stop giving away spots in classes for people who actually earn and need the degree long term. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Time to do away with college football.  Carter is one of the lucky 1.6% percent of college football players who were drafted to the NFL.   For the other 98.6% of college football players who will not go on to play in the NFL, having their tuition and degree paid for should be more than enough.  I am fine with the stars of college football being able to use their name and likeness to make money, but to actually pay these guys a paycheck to play football, give me a break.  

Stop the nonsense.  Make a minor league system for football and stop giving away spots in classes for people who actually earn and need the degree long term. 

I think some schools will decide it is not worth it and step away from big time college football.  How much does a school like Berkeley or Stanford gain from having a big time football program?  The ideal case would be to go to a relegation system so schools that want to put big money into it can do so and those that don't can compete at their own level.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Agree. And the minor league system now exists, arguably stronger than it's ever been, with the UFL. Expand that league and just pay the kids to be developed by pro coaches.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't know these lawsuits were pending.  Silly me.   This will change college sports forever.   It will suck the profit out of lots of programs, and without the profits, the programs will struggle. 

Just to get some sense of what this will mean:   Imagine if Josh Allen, after his breakout season at Wyoming, could have "entered the portal" (in other words, become a free agent).   Some school like Alabama or Southern Cal would have offered him a couple million dollars to transfer.  

A couple million?

There’s a lawsuit out there from a kid that said he was promised like 13 million and didn’t get it. I believe he said he turned down 9 million, I think from Florida, to take the 13 million.

I was wrong. He is suing Florida for 14 million.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/georgia-quarterback-jaden-rashada-sues-florida-coach-billy-napier-fail-rcna153466#

Edited by Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

yea it feels like the solution was a true minor league and not leaning into universities being premium sports entertainment meccas

i get the toothpaste is out of the tube and has been for decades but…. It’s not a particularly reasonable approach to shove these two pieces together under one umbrella 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Paying players has always been around and happened.  Now it's just public and there will be lawsuits over it, because it's a legal transaction now. 

The actual culprit and what will blow up college sports is the portal. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

I feel like as we “evolve” as a country, we get dumber. Just go back to the old ways of doing things. Everything seemed to have the right balance in 2005 or so 

Edited by Bills!Win!
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

I feel like as we “evolve” as a country, we get dumber. Just go back to the old ways of doing things. Everything seemed to haha the right balance in 2005 or so 

It's a result of prolonged adolescence.  People are starting to get married, and start their families and careers later in life. 

As a result those same people have no clue about the reality of everyday life.  You have 20, 30, and 40 year olds all living the same existence.  Starting to see three decades of people dressing the same, consuming the same entertainment, and dictating the flow of societal norms.   Because of that politicians, society leaders, and content creators pander to people who have no clue about real life or grip on common sense.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

50 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It's a result of prolonged adolescence.  People are starting to get married, and start their families and careers later in life. 

As a result those same people have no clue about the reality of everyday life.  You have 20, 30, and 40 year olds all living the same existence.  Starting to see three decades of people dressing the same, consuming the same entertainment, and dictating the flow of societal norms.   Because of that politicians, society leaders, and content creators pander to people who have no clue about real life or grip on common sense.

This is an interesting point of view.

7 hours ago, White Linen said:

Paying players has always been around and happened.  Now it's just public and there will be lawsuits over it, because it's a legal transaction now. 

The actual culprit and what will blow up college sports is the portal. 

Without a cap this will get crazy. When it was against the rules there would be much smaller payments and gifts than what we’re going to see. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Division 1 hockey.. is now considered at the same level of major Junior Canadian hockey 

Nobody goes right to the ahl from North America... They play juniors in Canada or the USHL or D1

Kids go from high school to college to NFL. Replace college with a minor league system instead of college. I understand how hockey works. In Canada they are also drafted at 18 and start playing major junior at 16. Younger even if they get exceptional status.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

You are confusing a symptom with a cause.

• Dislike 1