The Athletic article "2024 NFL Draft Sleepers" Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Buffalo Bills Round 5,

Posted (edited)

For context, the article featured 14 rookies and 9 notable mentions so it wasn't one of these "one player per team" click baits.

Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Buffalo Bills

Round 5, Pick 141

I was probably higher on this center class than some, but even those who weren’t feeling the group as a whole could agree Van Pran-Granger was a great value in Round 5. A three-year starter, two-time national champion and two-time captain, Van Pran-Granger was the backbone of Georgia’s powerful and nasty rush attack after earning the starting job in 2021. He’s probably only a center in the NFL, which is likely why he fell as far as he did.

However, the Bills needed center help and Van Pran-Granger is powerful enough to earn reps as an NFL starting offensive lineman right now. If he’s healthy, watch for him to turn heads early in fall camp once the pads come on.

Another center pick I liked on Day 3: NC State’s Dylan McMahon to Philadelphia in the sixth round. Don’t be surprised if he outperforms his draft slot.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5511949/2024/05/23/nfl-draft-2024-rookie-sleepers/?campaign=5888993&source=dailyemail&userId=555233

Mods, please merge if you feel it's necessary.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 12

Posted (edited)

I hope the Bills give Sed Van Pran some early starter looks in camp, the way they did with O'Cyrus Torrence.

I said this in another thread here recently, but the best thing that could happen to the OL this season would be for SVP to take the starting center role and never look back. It would allow the least upheaval/turnover to the OL, as it would mean McGovern could stay at LG, Edwards could stay as valuable depth, and only the center position would be different than last year.

As a side note, I'll say it's funny to me that a player "only being a fit at center" is a thing that dings guys enough that they fall significantly in the draft these days. I get wanting positional versatility, but center is an important position, and if a guy can be a ten year starter there -- even if he can't play a single down at guard in his career -- then it's a great pick and worth more than a 5th round draft choice.

I really don't understand how this guy fell as far as he did on draft day. I know he has shorter-than-desired arms for the position and that he's not considered a good candidate to be a guard in the pros, but...is that it? How does a three-year SEC starter, two time captain, two time national champion center with pro traits fall to the 5th round? There must be some other weaknesses to his game that us laymen are not aware of.

Here's hoping that this dude proves to be a steal and softens the blow of losing Mitch Morse.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 18
  • Agree 11
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Personally I think he opens week 1 as the starting Center.  I loved this pick, in fact, I think Beane really nailed his first 5 picks and believe this draft class has a legit shot to go down as Beane's best overall.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Heard somewhere Josh was spending extensive time with McGovern, everywhere from the training room to the field, so that dampened my hope for VPG a bit. McGovern still has to outplay him, but he and Josh are making conscious efforts to learn and grow with one another. 

I loved the SVPG pick, back to back years the Bills got a very strong IOL prospect fall to them at a good value largely because they were "only" a guard (in the case of Torrence) or "only" a center in the case of SVPG. I get that teams like to have flexibility for their reserve offensive line players to have the ability to play two positions because teams only carry 9 and at most 10 offensive linemen on the 53 man roster and they usually keep one inactive. So with only 3-4 players in reserve on game day each team usually likes to have a swing tackle that can play LT/RT, a guard that can flex out to RT, and a center that can flex to a guard spot at a minimum. Whereas if you have a player occupying 1 of 3 bench spots whose "only" a backup at one position that's leaving you vulnerable. 

However, I think that ignores the ability for your starters to move around. If SVPG can't displace McGovern or Edwards then McGovern's ability to flex out to guard makes having a "pure" backup center the same as having a Center that can play guard. It's smart roster building as I think SVPG is good enough to push for a starting role and was highly undervalued due to perceived lack of positional flexibility. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I hope the Bills give Sed Van Pran some early starter looks in camp, the way they did with O'Cyrus Torrence.

I said this in another thread here recently, but the best thing that could happen to the OL this season would be for SVP to take the starting center role and never look back. It would allow the least upheaval/turnover to the OL, as it would mean McGovern could stay at LG, Edwards could stay as valuable depth, and only the center position would be different than last year.

As a side note, I'll say it's funny to me that a player "only being a fit at center" is a thing that dings guys enough that they fall significantly in the draft these days. I get wanting positional versatility, but center is an important position, and if a guy can be a ten year starter there -- even if he can't play a single down at guard in his career -- then it's a great pick and worth more than a 5th round draft choice.

I really don't understand how this guy fell as far as he did on draft day. I know he has shorter-than-desired arms for the position and that he's not considered a good candidate to be a guard in the pros, but...is that it? How does a three-year SEC starter, two time captain, two time national champion center with pro traits fall to the 5th round? There must be some other weaknesses to his game that us laymen are not aware of.

Here's hoping that this dude proves to be a steal and softens the blow of losing Mitch Morse.

Well, I haven't watched film or studied him, and I wouldn't know what to make of it if I did watch film, but I've been optimistic about him, too, since the day the Bills took him.   All of what you say is what I've thought, especially the stuff about his college pedigree.  There's little question that guys with good experience in elite programs like Alabama and Georgia can play, and play early, in the NFL.  It was true to a lesser extent during Clemson's run, too.  

On the other hand, as an abstract matter, no one thinks a fifth round rookie interior lineman to be a day one starter.   If the only reason he fell to day three is that he has no position flexibility, well, then I'd say some GMs aren't thinking about their team well enough.   Of course Beane, who needed an interior lineman, took a rotational DT in the third round instead of VPG, so he must have some questions about VPG, too. 

It continues to amaze me that with almost every pick Beane got a player who has a seriously good chance of playing more than token snaps in his rookie season.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I haven't watched film or studied him, and I wouldn't know what to make of it if I did watch film, but I've been optimistic about him, too, since the day the Bills took him.   All of what you say is what I've thought, especially the stuff about his college pedigree.  There's little question that guys with good experience in elite programs like Alabama and Georgia can play, and play early, in the NFL.  It was true to a lesser extent during Clemson's run, too.  

On the other hand, as an abstract matter, no one thinks a fifth round rookie interior lineman to be a day one starter.   If the only reason he fell to day three is that he has no position flexibility, well, then I'd say some GMs aren't thinking about their team well enough.   Of course Beane, who needed an interior lineman, took a rotational DT in the third round instead of VPG, so he must have some questions about VPG, too. 

It continues to amaze me that with almost every pick Beane got a player who has a seriously good chance of playing more than token snaps in his rookie season.  

Isn’t that to be expected for the next couple of drafts while the Team digs itself out of the current cap challenge? 

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Isn’t that to be expected for the next couple of drafts while the Team digs itself out of the current cap challenge? 

Yes, that's correct.  Coleman is a replacement, Bishop is a replacement, Van Pran-Granger is a replacement.  

But the interesting thing about is that the replacements look like they can play now, not spend three years working their way into the league.  If Coleman starts, it will be because he can do the job, not because there was no one else.   Bishop too.   And VPG.   They each have to take the job from veteran players who have real NFL starting experience, but what's interesting is that they no one will be surprised to if they win the jobs.  

For example, the Bills are not going to start VPG just because they project him as the center of the future.   He'll start if he can do the job, and absent injury, only if he can do the job.  McGregor won't be a failure at center - he might not be great, but he won't fail.  

As I said, what's amazing about this draft is how many rookies can legitimately win significant playing time.  

And, by the way, the fact that they have a fifth-rounder who may start on a Super Bowl contender is one of the core concepts McDermott explained when he first got here.   He said the roster would improve every year, and he said he would build a culture where the veterans bring the young players up to speed quickly, so that you can get help out of the draft quickly.   It's easier to put VPG into the starting lineup with Torrence and McGregor next to him than with whoever the guards were five years ago.  If he has talent, the veterans will see it quickly, and they will work to integrate him.   Same with Coleman, and Bishop (man, I wish they'd get Micah back on the field as a player or a coach, just to talk to Bishop every day).  This is a championship caliber team, and young talent fits in more quickly than on a team that's perennially .500 or worse. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Personally I think he opens week 1 as the starting Center.  I loved this pick, in fact, I think Beane really nailed his first 5 picks and believe this draft class has a legit shot to go down as Beane's best overall.  

Agreed but I have to temper my enthusiasm, it is about this time every year I read all the hype and think we had a killer draft until reality sets in. 

For example Dorian Williams and Nick Broeker along with free agent Richard Gouraige I thought were real steals in the 2023  draft and none of them really showed much although we essentially got 2 1st rounds last year so overall very good draft.  And the year before of course was Kaiir Elam who has shown flashes but not enough.

And I was really upset to see yet another mid-late rd RB pick but as I read and watch Davis it is hard not to get get excited.  And Dewayne Carter, a three time Captaln, amazing when you think about it and not exactly a football factory at Duke.  Love listening to that guy, he along with Coleman are going to be fan favorites.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed on the bold :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Way to jump to conclusions 🤨 Beane’s college scout team is as thorough as any teams are. That they took a DT in the 3rd means that player had a higher grade on the Bills board at that time. It’s really quite simple. But given SVP fell further than many anticipated, I believe the Bills lucked out. 
fyi -a rotational DT is a starter.

Lofty expectations, but I’d love to see SVP earn the starting Center -and I think it’s likely.

I have my doubts as to whether he'll open week 1 as the starter, but I do think he's probably in the longer-term plan.

I see SVP as starting as the backup C. If McGovern goes down with an injury, he'll be available to step in. If one of the guards goes down, McGovern can switch over to G and SVP can come in at C. I could see that happening based on OL health.

If everyone stays healthy, then it depends on how well the OL gels during the season. If there are issues, I could see them moving McGovern back to G and SVP in at C at the bye week, perhaps, then never look back.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I loved this pick once I looked him up to see who the hell he was and asked all of my UGA following friends what they thought. 

I’m once again strangely optimistic.  I’m curious to see how this whole draft class works out. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No it doesn't. Beane's best overall draft class was the Josh Allen pick. Period, end of story. Josh Allen is worth more to the team than every one of Beane's picks from the 2024 draft.

That said, I could definitely see Beane's 2024 draft working out well.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Only center is fine by me.  Find your center,let him play 10 years and leave his butt alone. No guard BS 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

That they took a DT in the 3rd means that player had a higher grade on the Bills board at that time. It’s really quite simple. 

Absolutely.  My point was that it seems that NO GM, including Beane, had a third round grade on him.   There must reasons why NO GM took him in the third or fourth rounds, and I doubt every GM's reason was lack of positional flexibility.   So, that means he has some limitations that at least some GMs saw, including Beane.   That makes me think that I'm being overly optimistic to think he's a rookie starter.  We'll see. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Agreed but I have to temper my enthusiasm, it is about this time every year I read all the hype and think we had a killer draft until reality sets in. 

For example Dorian Williams and Nick Broeker along with free agent Richard Gouraige I thought were real steals in the 2023  draft and none of them really showed much although we essentially got 2 1st rounds last year so overall very good draft.  And the year before of course was Kaiir Elam who has shown flashes but not enough.

And I was really upset to see yet another mid-late rd RB pick but as I read and watch Davis it is hard not to get get excited.  And Dewayne Carter, a three time Captaln, amazing when you think about it and not exactly a football factory at Duke.  Love listening to that guy, he along with Coleman are going to be fan favorites.

I was told a few days ago by my friend who works in the league that their is a team that wanted  Ray Davis and were going to make him their starting back but did not want to pick him until the 5th or late 4th and  then Buffalo took him. 

Then they were questioning if they should have just taken him in the third.  Apparently the people pulling for him in the room lost out to the other voices based on the position they ended up taking.  They didn't think RB should be taken as high as the third in this draft.

Seems like they are regretting it is  what I was told.  

Edited by MikePJ76
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Only center is fine by me.  Find your center,let him play 10 years and leave his butt alone. No guard BS 

Agree completely. I've always said, we need a quintessential center. not a reinvented guard. Center is the anchor of the line. (RIP Kent Hull)!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1