OTAs 5/21

54 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Building him up. McDermott knows what he’s doing. I’m sure Claypool is working his butt off but McDermott is trying to get the best out of him by boosting up his confidence.

This is exactly how I read it and kudos to McD for adapting different leadership styles per player personality. Management through the media, and giving him praise to boost his confidence and get even more dedication and buy-in.

9 minutes ago, DJB said:

Excuse me but Duke Williams?!!??!

OMG.

How did I forget all time Bills offseason legend Duke Williams?!?!

Thank you for the reminder! 

• Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

Chase Claypool taking the early lead in the 25th annual "Buffalo Bills offseason darling wide receiver" series.

Like with Drew Hadaad, Da'Rick Rodgers, Naaman Roosevelt, and Andy Isabella before him, I'm predicting 75 catches for 1,100 yards and 10 TDs.

11 minutes ago, DJB said:

Excuse me but Duke Williams?!!??!

And please, let's not leave out Kwame Cavil and Kamil Loud.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Here's the full McDermott quote on Claypool:

"Very impressed with Chase. Really just starting with his approach, here's a veteran receiver, former high pick, that has been on a journey, right, through the course of recently in his career. I applaud Chase for coming here to see where things go. He's very focused, he's working extremely hard day in and day out. And embracing not just the wide receiver role that he could play for us, but also the special teams role that he could play for us. You don't find that a lot around the NFL where a player has been at a certain level and then is on a mission right now to reclaim what he once was in that regard. And those are my words, maybe not fair to Chase, respectfully, but I would just say like very impressed with his day to day approach, true pro, high character, smart player, and he's been a good addition to our team."

This is extremely high praise from the normally tight lipped McDermott. No clue if it will translate on the field but it's a good sign.

Dare I say it, but a reformed Claypool would be a huge addition. He was legit good early on.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

OMG.

How did I forget all time Bills offseason legend Duke Williams?!?!

Thank you for the reminder! 

Guy had a chance to deliver if he'd caught that TD pass in the playoffs, but no.

"

This is extremely high praise from the normally tight lipped McDermott. No clue if it will translate on the field but it's a good sign.

Or just preparing for a trade with Seattle or SF 😁

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

"Very impressed with Chase. Really just starting with his approach, here's a veteran receiver, former high pick, that has been on a journey, right, through the course of recently in his career. I applaud Chase for coming here to see where things go. He's very focused, he's working extremely hard day in and day out. And embracing not just the wide receiver role that he could play for us, but also the special teams role that he could play for us. You don't find that a lot around the NFL where a player has been at a certain level and then is on a mission right now to reclaim what he once was in that regard. And those are my words, maybe not fair to Chase, respectfully, but I would just say like very impressed with his day to day approach, true pro, high character, smart player, and he's been a good addition to our team."

Says to me he was brought in to show Colman what could go wrong. Bonus showing him how hard Claypool is willing to work to get back to his first couple session. This  could be a real win/win. 

Edited by Starr-Bills
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Building him up. McDermott knows what he’s doing. I’m sure Claypool is working his butt off but McDermott is trying to get the best out of him by boosting up his confidence.

Totally the correct approach.  McD seems like the guy who gets the best out of his men too.  I hope he can get through to Claypool.  

38 minutes ago, DJB said:

Geez once again McDermott prioritizing special teams over everything 🙄

What are you even talking about?

No one is prioritizing anything?   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Guy had a chance to deliver if he'd caught that TD pass in the playoffs, but no.

I was at that game in Houston.

I remember watching Duke play in real time and thinking "this is it. All the times we've ever envisioned the offseason darling underdog WR actually stepping up in a big moment and making memorable plays for the Bills!". It was like...the biggest/best chance a guy like this was ever gonna get. And......he blew it. 

Damn shame. One of the more painful and Billsy losses I can ever remember, and it may have turned out completely different if Duke catches that ball. Then again, it might have turned out completely different if the refs hadn't decided on the fly that a Texans' player's intention was good enough to substitute for following an actual NFL rule.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Angry 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was at that game in Houston.

I remember watching Duke play in real time and thinking "this is it. All the times we've ever envisioned the offseason darling underdog WR actually stepping up in a big moment and making memorable plays for the Bills!". It was like...the biggest/best chance a guy like this was ever gonna get. And......he blew it. 

Damn shame. One of the more painful and Billsy losses I can ever remember, and it may have turned out completely different if Duke catches that ball. Then again, it might have turned out completely different if the refs hadn't decided on the fly that a Texans' player's intention was good enough to substitute for following an actual NFL rule.

I still want to know what those replacement officials were doing talking to the referee after the kickoff at the start of the second half. :angry:

• Angry 1

Just now, Mark Vader said:

I still want to know what those replacement officials were doing talking to the referee after the kickoff at the start of the second half. :angry:

Same.

Refs rule it one way, then some guys in black run on the field and talk to them, then suddenly the call is changed.

Ridiculous.

• Angry 2