Sure Miami fans are pissed at Poyer!

Dafan

Everyone knows that Josh is better than Tua. That's not an insult to Tua. What would be an insult to him, and Phins fans, would be to say Tua is better. Still, it would have been better for him to say that both are great QBs...but I love that he went with his answer.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

To be fair, Tyreek Hill said Tua was the best he’s ever played with (so better than Mahomes), and we all know Josh is better than Tua, ergo, I’m convinced, confident and confirmed in my opinion that Josh is the best in the league. 🙌

To be really fair, Hill said that Tua was the most accurate QB he has played with, not the best.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Wonder what Rachel Bush will have to say to them on the Twitters?

Are they still called tweets, even though the idiot owner changed the company name to X?  Figured he’d change that too.

• Eyeroll 1

52 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Are they still called tweets, even though the idiot owner changed the company name to X?  Figured he’d change that too.

Well, he can try, but it's the same principle where it took years to get people to stop calling photocopy machines "xerox"

Figures that there’s still a portion of the fanbase that just can’t stop giving Poyer grief. 

Poyer has always told you what he thinks. Especially four years ago when people didn’t want to hear his opinions. He’s also said many times that he wanted to play somewhere warm without state income tax. He’s been nothing but a straight shooter so when he says something he means it.

18 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I don’t know. Obviously Mahomes is great but I can’t say he’s better than Allen.

There’s things Allen can do physically that Mahomes can’t. There’s nothing Mahomes can do that Allen can’t. 

Then again Mahomes stays cool under all circumstances, maybe that’s what he does better. Allen’s got the physical, Mahomes has the mental. 

Hmm.

Take a guy like Alex Smith. He was a reasonably good QB for the 49ers. A respectable starter. Then he found his way to Kansas City. In his last year with the Chiefs, he averaged 8.0 yards per attempt. That's better than normal for Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. Did Smith suddenly start playing a lot better than he had with the 49ers? Well, maybe. But if he did, it didn't last long. In his next two years, he was QB for Football Team. His yards per attempt was 6.6, then 6.3. 

Another, perhaps more likely explanation was that everything in KC was set up for the QB to look good. Great offensive coaching, in the form of Andy Reid. Scheming guys open, so that the QB has ridiculously easy throws. One of the top three TEs ever, in the form of Kelce. Good overall offensive supporting cast. Pat Mahomes inherited all that when he became the starting QB for the Chiefs.

Compare that to Josh Allen. The offensive line he had his rookie year may well have been the very worst in franchise history. His two starting WRs were even worse than the OL: Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes. For most of his career, his OL has been decent at best. In the most recent playoff loss to the Chiefs, Bills receivers had 160 yards of dropped passes. The last time he had an OC who schemed guys open, Daboll hadn't yet sat down with the NY Giants. Then there's the fact that Allen's defense has never generated more than 2 stops in a postseason game against the Chiefs or the Bengals. Several other defenses have generated 6 or even 7 stops in postseason games against the Chiefs.

The Chiefs have done everything they could to set Mahomes up to succeed. The Bills have done a lot to set Allen up to fail: dropped passes, failing to scheme guys open, and a defensive collapse literally every postseason game against the Chiefs or Bengals. Despite all this, Allen has kept the postseason games against the Chiefs close. Take Pat Mahomes away from the Chiefs and give them Alex Smith. Take Josh Allen away from the Bills, and give us another Alex Smith. You do that, and the Chiefs are steamrolling the Bills in the playoffs. It's not remotely close at all.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Neo said:

The OP doesn’t need my help, but nowhere in his post does he claim the article “even hints at that.”

“Speculating with confidence” is a reasonable reading of “Sure.”

Respectfully, all.

The article gives the OP zero reason to "speculate with confidence" that "Sure Miami fans are pissed at Poyer"

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Hmm.

Take a guy like Alex Smith. He was a reasonably good QB for the 49ers. A respectable starter. Then he found his way to Kansas City. In his last year with the Chiefs, he averaged 8.0 yards per attempt. That's better than normal for Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. Did Smith suddenly start playing a lot better than he had with the 49ers? Well, maybe. But if he did, it didn't last long. In his next two years, he was QB for Football Team. His yards per attempt was 6.6, then 6.3. 

Another, perhaps more likely explanation was that everything in KC was set up for the QB to look good. Great offensive coaching, in the form of Andy Reid. Scheming guys open, so that the QB has ridiculously easy throws. One of the top three TEs ever, in the form of Kelce. Good overall offensive supporting cast. Pat Mahomes inherited all that when he became the starting QB for the Chiefs.

Compare that to Josh Allen. The offensive line he had his rookie year may well have been the very worst in franchise history. His two starting WRs were even worse than the OL: Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes. For most of his career, his OL has been decent at best. In the most recent playoff loss to the Chiefs, Bills receivers had 160 yards of dropped passes. The last time he had an OC who schemed guys open, Daboll hadn't yet sat down with the NY Giants. Then there's the fact that Allen's defense has never generated more than 2 stops in a postseason game against the Chiefs or the Bengals. Several other defenses have generated 6 or even 7 stops in postseason games against the Chiefs.

The Chiefs have done everything they could to set Mahomes up to succeed. The Bills have done a lot to set Allen up to fail: dropped passes, failing to scheme guys open, and a defensive collapse literally every postseason game against the Chiefs or Bengals. Despite all this, Allen has kept the postseason games against the Chiefs close. Take Pat Mahomes away from the Chiefs and give them Alex Smith. Take Josh Allen away from the Bills, and give us another Alex Smith. You do that, and the Chiefs are steamrolling the Bills in the playoffs. It's not remotely close at all.

Okay… 

but ask yourself this question, and be 100% honest with yourself. You have 30 seconds to go down a field and win the Super Bowl. You have a choice of Allen or Mahomes? Are you picking Allen? 

My original post is not an indictment on Allen. Allen has Mahomes beat in almost all the categories for me (physically). I just think Mahomes has the ability to stay cool in any situation. He’s proven it time and time again. 

You’re not turning on Allen or your Bills fandom by acknowledging the dudes really good at keeping cool. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

On 5/19/2024 at 7:02 PM, BigAl2526 said:

I'm not sure that Josh Allen is the best QB in the league, but there not much doubt about him being better than Tua.  The old saying is, "The best ability is availability."

Between the two of them, Josh Allen is an iron man and Tua is likely one more concussion away from the end of his career.

Compared to Tua, Josh is Brady.  But until he wins a Lombardi,  Josh will always be the 2nd best qb in this era. Now fantasy football points is a whole different argument. 

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The article gives the OP zero reason to "speculate with confidence" that "Sure Miami fans are pissed at Poyer"

It gives me no reason to speculate with confidence that the sun will rise tomorrow.  It doesn’t have to.  The word speculation acknowledges, requires, demonstrates the topic is unaddressed in the article.

If we can’t speculate, eliminate 98.4% of our threads.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Neo said:

It gives me no reason to speculate with confidence that the sun will rise tomorrow.  It doesn’t have to.  The word speculation acknowledges, requires, demonstrates the topic is unaddressed in the article.

If we can’t speculate, eliminate 98.4% of our threads.

while it may not be in the article Trust me any self respecting dolphins chat board should pick up on this.  WAIT. They don't want to ruffle Poyers feathers by giving him chit for it.  OR they really just don't care and will consider the audience and poo poo it

Either way I think it was cool Poyer said it and clearly he has no intent of alienating Bills mafia. Even though he is going to play for the fish

PFFT. He is officially an opponent and football rival enemy. Stay healthy Jordan but I hope you suck when you play against the Bills. My fandom goes as far as the jersey you wear amigo.

to the bolded CORRECTAMUNDO 🙂

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Okay… 

but ask yourself this question, and be 100% honest with yourself. You have 30 seconds to go down a field and win the Super Bowl. You have a choice of Allen or Mahomes? Are you picking Allen? 

My original post is not an indictment on Allen. Allen has Mahomes beat in almost all the categories for me (physically). I just think Mahomes has the ability to stay cool in any situation. He’s proven it time and time again. 

You’re not turning on Allen or your Bills fandom by acknowledging the dudes really good at keeping cool. 

I'm not going to take the time to look this up, but I recall a thread from a few weeks or months ago. According to it, Josh Allen had the second-most clutch drives from 2020 to today. I'm pretty sure Mahomes had the most. People would be tempted to give Mahomes' name as an answer to your question, because they've seen him succeed in clutch situations even more often than Allen.

During the early and middle parts of this past season, Mahomes' supporting cast didn't do a particularly good job. And guess what? Mahomes looked ordinary. Not special. Later in the season, as well as the postseason, the supporting cast improved its play, and Mahomes looked like he'd returned back to his old self.

There was a time in Allen's career when, briefly, he was set up for success, at least on offense. His OC was Daboll. His OL wasn't much for run blocking, but at least it was reasonably good at pass protection. Singletary at RB, Knox at TE, Diggs, Beasley, Davis, and Brown at WR. With that supporting cast, he achieved the highest QB rating in NFL postseason history. That includes scoring the go ahead points in a postseason game against the Chiefs, with 13 seconds left.

Was that performance by Allen an outlier, or was it typical of what he'd do if set up to succeed on offense? It's hard to know the answer to that without more data. I can't think of any other times in Allen's career when he was set up to succeed nearly as well as that. At this point, any comparison between Mahomes and Allen risks being apples to oranges. Almost all the data we have involves Mahomes having a good/reliable supporting cast, and Allen having an inferior/unreliable supporting cast.

2 hours ago, muppy said:

while it may not be in the article Trust me any self respecting dolphins chat board should pick up on this.  WAIT. They don't want to ruffle Poyers feathers by giving him chit for it.  OR they really just don't care and will consider the audience and poo poo it

Either way I think it was cool Poyer said it and clearly he has no intent of alienating Bills mafia. Even though he is going to play for the fish

PFFT. He is officially an opponent and football rival enemy. Stay healthy Jordan but I hope you suck when you play against the Bills. My fandom goes as far as the jersey you wear amigo.

to the bolded CORRECTAMUNDO 🙂

these guys don’t pick up on this. For them it’s a business.  None of his teammates will car about what he said about Josh.  I can’t imagine many Fins fans will get a rise out of this either.  Most would take Josh over Tua in a heartbeat. 

OP is commenting on a true non-story. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/19/2024 at 9:53 PM, Dafan said:

Jordan says Allen is best QB in the league.

Poyer was a stand-up guy.

When he had a rib injury and could not fly, he drove himself to and fron KC so he could play in the game.  That's hardcore!

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I'm not going to take the time to look this up, but I recall a thread from a few weeks or months ago. According to it, Josh Allen had the second-most clutch drives from 2020 to today. I'm pretty sure Mahomes had the most. People would be tempted to give Mahomes' name as an answer to your question, because they've seen him succeed in clutch situations even more often than Allen.

During the early and middle parts of this past season, Mahomes' supporting cast didn't do a particularly good job. And guess what? Mahomes looked ordinary. Not special. Later in the season, as well as the postseason, the supporting cast improved its play, and Mahomes looked like he'd returned back to his old self.

There was a time in Allen's career when, briefly, he was set up for success, at least on offense. His OC was Daboll. His OL wasn't much for run blocking, but at least it was reasonably good at pass protection. Singletary at RB, Knox at TE, Diggs, Beasley, Davis, and Brown at WR. With that supporting cast, he achieved the highest QB rating in NFL postseason history. That includes scoring the go ahead points in a postseason game against the Chiefs, with 13 seconds left.

Was that performance by Allen an outlier, or was it typical of what he'd do if set up to succeed on offense? It's hard to know the answer to that without more data. I can't think of any other times in Allen's career when he was set up to succeed nearly as well as that. At this point, any comparison between Mahomes and Allen risks being apples to oranges. Almost all the data we have involves Mahomes having a good/reliable supporting cast, and Allen having an inferior/unreliable supporting cast.

That’s fair. But at the same time so is my question. Regardless of apples to oranges, I’m giving you that choice right now. Who are you choosing? 

I know who I’m choosing. And guess what? My favorite player on this earth (Josh Allen) is not it. 

It’s nothing against Josh, I think he’s great, the most entertaining player I think I’ve seen in my lifetime. Mahomes, imo, is better at staying cool. Is that really that bad? I mean, the guys great, what is so wrong with him being better at something? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks