Netflix Gets Christmas Games

15 minutes ago, eball said:

Oh good lord, does someone always need to whine about the realities of the entertainment industry?  They're ALL in it to make money.  This is like complaining about the sun rising and setting.

YOU HAVE A CHOICE.  STOP WATCHING.

All the complaining is becoming insufferable. And what's more, the complainers are addicted to football just like everyone else and will watch the games despite their belly aching. Or maybe a few of them won't, which will be completely insignificant.

And they act like a streaming service hosting a game is the worst thing in the world. What about the days of games being blacked out? Or having to spend an arm and a leg for NFL Sunday Ticket, which you had to have an expensive cable subscription on top of anyway?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I don't have Netflix nor am I going to subscribe just to watch, the NFL has lost it's mind. 

I have NFL+.  IIRC you can watch live NFL games on it through your phone.  

36 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Pretty soon fans are going to need subscriptions to 18 different streaming services in order to watch an entire season.

or, bear with me, find other ways to watch the games

There used to be a huge amount of piracy of movies/music/content, until Netflix made it easy to pay a relatively modest monthly fee to have access to a huge content library.  We're getting to the point now where the landscape is so fragmented The Pirate Bay looks like a reasonable alternative again

• Agree 2

Ohhhh I LOVE these meltdown threads. My favorites are the ones that give the whole "That's it. I'm not watching" responses. Because we all know 90% of them will watch anyway.

And even if you don't watch...it literally doesn't impact the NFL in any way shape or form. Unless you're prepared to organize a massive boycott with millions of people) of any and all networks that stream the games along with every single one of the sponsors that pay to have commercial time or forms of in game advertisement. Because that's where the money train comes from in 2024. 

Same mentality of someone getting a bad meal at McDonald's and yelling about taking their business elsewhere. They won't miss you. But hey, you showed them for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I'm seriously walking back my level of fandom for this league

I’m a Bills fan and I always will be, but I care less about the NFL every year. 

If Buffalo still had the Braves, I might still watch some NBA. As it is, I don’t even watch the Finals, and I change the station when they start talking NBA on sports talk radio.  I get more music in my life, so it’s not all bad.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, eball said:

Oh good lord, does someone always need to whine about the realities of the entertainment industry?  They're ALL in it to make money.  This is like complaining about the sun rising and setting.

YOU HAVE A CHOICE.  STOP WATCHING.

Oh good Lord, is there always going to be someone whining about something that someone else says about any and every topic?

We, me and my family, are blessed to be comfortable enough in this day and time to not have to worry about a $15-$17 subscription to a streaming channel. We have Netfilx, Prime, Hulu, and I'm thinking about ditching Xfinity for YouTube. That's not the case for everyone. Some of those people, who are not in the same place we are, do like and watch football. Corporate greed is cutting out some of that fanbase, whether you want to admit it or not. 

You, too, have a choice. Whatever you choose is up to you. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

To whomever is the highest bidder, regardless of audience or platform. 

You mean like any good business ever? Cmon man, this is an entertainment business. Netflix has the reach of hundreds of millions of subscribers.  It's not a random platform.  This is good business.  Just like the international exposure to generate more interest worldwide. Long term, it's good for the NFL and indirectly benefits the Bills.  People have to get over this stuff. I don't understand the pouting on this board over these kinds of things. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

I see Netflix having the rights of one of the major days at some point. Maybe SNF? They want to get into more live TV. It's funny I was just telling my friend that Netflix would be getting the NFL very soon.... I guess I didn't realize how soon.

I split the streaming services with friends. I pay for HBO and Peacock and trade it around for others. 

3 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

You mean like any good business ever? Cmon man, this is an entertainment business. Netflix has the reach of hundreds of millions of subscribers.  It's not a random platform.  This is good business.  Just like the international exposure to generate more interest worldwide. Long term, it's good for the NFL and indirectly benefits the Bills.  People have to get over this stuff. I don't understand the pouting on this board over these kinds of things. 

And if you would have read through the rest of the way, you would have seen my last response two above yours. :thumbsup:

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

So basically it's going to be cable again, but we'll call it something else. 

I think the industry and the various ways to provide consumers with programming choices and subscription options comes down to a constant battle between the people providing the service vs. the people producing the content.  Both want your money but how it gets divided between them is a lot of back and forth. 

In this case the NFL "owns" the content and is comfortable with the service providers on various platforms and media to bid against each other to maximize the leagues "take".  Consumer convenience and access isn't much of a concern.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, H2o said:

And if you would have read through the rest of the way, you would have seen my last response two above yours. :thumbsup:

No hard feelings man, I think you are just missing that times have changed. Having a bundle of streaming services is the new cable. It's not an expense only the wealthy can afford. People are spending more on a single fast food meal than what it would cost to get Netflix for the month to watch the games (assuming you don't have it already, which most even non-wealthy people do, or get some type of free trial, or have someone let you use their login). The NFL is not cutting out anyone, that's just a silly take. 

Netflix is terrible and one of the more pricey options.  Peacock isnt a bad price and has a lot of content.  I don't agree that these should be put on the same terms

Amazon you can watch for free on Twitch.

I can honestly say, I will not be subscribing to Netflix to watch these games.  

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Pretty much. Football is so huge, and we (fans) are addicted to it. Just look at today. The schedule release is a big event. Baseball, basketball, and hockey release their schedules without press or fanfare.

I don't see it as a big event. Fans have been forced to wait for this because the NFL made it this way.

I doubt that millions of people are tuning in to NFL Network's "coverage" of the schedule reveal, and are going to the internet to retrieve the schedules.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

I don't see it as a big event. Fans have been forced to wait for this because the NFL made it this way.

I doubt that millions of people are tuning in to NFL Network's "coverage" of the schedule reveal, and are going to the internet to retrieve the schedules.

Fans wait for the schedule to come out so they can plan which games they are traveling to either at home or road games. It's a much bigger deal than MLB, NBA, NHL releasing their schedules.

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Fans wait for the schedule to come out so they can plan which games they are traveling to either at home or road games. It's a much bigger deal than MLB, NBA, NHL releasing their schedules.

I know that.

The fans are paying attention, but are they sitting at home watching NFL Network's 2 hour special from start-to-finish of the schedule release? I don't think so.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

What if we packaged all the individual streaming services?

We put them on one system. You could get a remote and flip a button to switch between them. We could call them “channels.” And we sell the package to folks so they aren’t paying for 20 different networks.

I call it…. Cable.

You know I've seen this point made a lot recently and I don't get it. The thing that makes streaming better than cable is non-stop 24/7 access to any content that the streaming service holds. It was never about having one or two platforms where you could watch anything and everything that ever existed. It's about convenience and commercial free access. Cable had this too in the form of on-demand channels but it was very expensive and limited to just one channel at a time - HBO, Showtime, etc.

Feel free to be frustrated by the large number of different streaming services that are out there, but it is far and away a better system than putting up with Direct TV's BS back in the day. Remember when Bills games were blacked out because we didn't sell enough tickets? And now we complain about having to spend $10 (or just signing up for a free trial) if we want to watch games on Christmas.

1 hour ago, juno999 said:

I have NFL+.  IIRC you can watch live NFL games on it through your phone.  

But only in market games if I'm not mistaken. Granted most NFL holiday games would be in market before this new Netflix spin.