Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

MVS ran a 4.37 40 and while he's going to be 30 he's only played 6 seasons (not a lot of wear and tear so to speak), he's been durable and won two Super Bowls while being a somewhat productive player. The Bills are getting as about as good a low risk "experienced" depth option as they can get at this stage.

He’s made plays in multiple playoff games also.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Simon said:

I know it makes no logical sense whatsoever but I am extremely intrigued by Chase Claypool during this particular chapter of his career.

I am too.  I’m not gonna hold my breath, but, if this kid gets his head right the talent is there.  I think him being with JuJu was literally the worst thing for him in Pittsburgh who had him more focused on dancing on TikTok than being dedicated to his craft.  He learned how to coast off his talent rather than putting the time in to be a complete WR. 

I mean Sean’s mantra is come here if you want to be your best self, and that has been true for a lot of players who had their career best years here on both sides of the ball or exceeded draft expectations.  

So if there was a place for this kid to get on track, it’s Buffalo.  He’s got the QB and the right culture here, but he also will be on a short leash and an easy cut if he’s still not getting it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Right, like I said the Bills don't have a field stretching WR on the roster.

Samuel in theory should be able to stretch the field, poor guy has literally had washed up noodle arm Cam Newton, Sam Darnold, and the guy who lead the league in INTs last year. 

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Curtis Samuel will probably have his best deep WR season coming up. 

• Like (+1) 4

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The stats don’t support that.  Chase Claypool had back to back 850+ yard seasons to start his career with a broken down Big Ben as the 3rd WR before his attitude got him traded to purgatory in Chicago and then at end of bench in Miami last year.  

MSV has never reached 700 yards in 6 years playing with prime Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes, including last year when the chiefs were desperate at WR and he only put up 315 yards.  

Even Mack Hollins has the same career high of 690 yards in a season as MVS does, except Hollins did it as the 3rd WR and playing with Carr instead of MVP Rodgers.  

Hollins has the better attitude of all 3.  And he is a much better blocker, and better ST player too.  Chase has the most raw ability and talent, but he’s got to his head right after JuJu poisoned him young.  

MVS just sucks at everything.  His only hope of beating out Chase is that Chase hasn’t learned his lesson and doesn’t get his head right on what is likely his last chance before hitting CFL.  I doubt he would beat out Hollins either as Hollins does more.  

MVS has 1,500 more career receiving yards and 6 more TDs than Hollins in the same amount of seasons. MVS has also made a few big plays in the playoffs en route to KC Super Bowl runs, whereas Hollins has really never done anything notable on a big stage.

I'll grant you that Claypool's most productive seasons were better than MVS's, but he's three years removed from those now, as his career has taken a STEEP decline, and he was a Bills signing away from playing in Canada.

Cephus and Hamler have no argument.

To be honest, though, the fact that we're sitting here arguing the comparative merits of MVS, Chase Claypool, and Quintez freaking Cephus is pretty emblematic of what kind of offseason it's been for the Bills in terms of getting Josh Allen any viable weaponry at receiver.

Edited by Logic

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So? He’s experienced depth. People here wanted OBJ and DJ Chark as our experienced depth. Completely unrealistic. 

People are talking about this guy like he’s not an upgrade over Trent Sherfield.

Setting the bar awfully low 😂 I think he's really bad let's agree to disagree 

36 minutes ago, Simon said:

I know it makes no logical sense whatsoever but I am extremely intrigued by Chase Claypool during this particular chapter of his career.

As am I.  IF he has matured, and woke up to realize this is it... we might be getting one heck of a player.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Samuel in theory should be able to stretch the field

He has YAC speed, not vertical speed. And yes that's a meaningful difference on an NFL field. MVS can get vertical because of his combined size and speed. That is a skill set that as of right now we don't have on the roster unless you count Claypool.

By the way I'm not happy that in May I'm somewhat celebrating the potential signing of MVS. Really that's insane to say out loud. But at this point we just need that skill set on the roster. Can't have defenses completely ignoring deep zones and never make them pay for it.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

MVS ran a 4.37 40 and while he's going to be 30 he's only played 6 seasons (not a lot of wear and tear so to speak), he's been durable and won two Super Bowls while being a somewhat productive player. The Bills are getting as about as good a low risk "experienced" depth option as they can get at this stage.

Another way to look at it is that they will have added drain-circling vets like Hollins and MVS to an already unimpressive cast of never-been's.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Another way to look at it is that they will have added drain-circling vets like Hollins and MVS to an already unimpressive cast of never-been's.

Hollins is more of a special teams player in my opinion, he's taking that Jake Kumerow/Trent Sherfield WR5 role in my opinion. MVS on the other hand is more of a kick the tires see what he can offer, you can down worse for a WR4/5/6 depth option. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

And he leads the league in depth of target. Davis was also near the top. More difficult targets.

Correct, but he's worse than David in every area of complaint about Davis.  

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am too.  I’m not gonna hold my breath, but, if this kid gets his head right the talent is there.  I think him being with JuJu was literally the worst thing for him in Pittsburgh who had him more focused on dancing on TikTok than being dedicated to his craft.  He learned how to coast off his talent rather than putting the time in to be a complete WR. 

I mean Sean’s mantra is come here if you want to be your best self, and that has been true for a lot of players who had their career best years here on both sides of the ball or exceeded draft expectations.  

So if there was a place for this kid to get on track, it’s Buffalo.  He’s got the QB and the right culture here, but he also will be on a short leash and an easy cut if he’s still not getting it.

The Steelers are insanely good at drafting and developing WR's, their list of WR coaches is pretty impressive since the mid 90's. Chan Gailey, Bruce Arians and several others have gone on to be head coaches or offensive coordinators. So Claypool ending up in Pitt to start his career was about as good a place as he could have gone but after his first two seasons there it just stopped clicking. Hoping that playing on a minimum deal on his 4th team in 3 seasons is a wake up call for him. He's not going to get another shot in his NFL career. Sad because he was/is such a freak talent. Maybe he just needs to be in another good organization with his career on the line? The Bears and Fins aren't exactly great places for a guy with some head issues to be. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

for 10% of the cost and as wr4 instead of wr2

Great, sign him then.  LOL

I'm not sure how it gets less expensive than Davis tho.  He wasn't even 1M/season.  

MVS also doesn't have Davis' talent.  

Edited by PBF81

This to me is interesting because it suggests a couple things:

1) Beane isn't totally confident with the WR as it stands. That's good news for most of us who are anxious about what we have (or lack).

2) Beane wants a vertical threat. The draft had vertical guys we could have taken but Beane didn't pull the trigger. So this to me suggests he simply didn't like the guys who were available for the value they would have required.

Perhaps if MVS doesn't sign they might explore Metcalf later for size and speed (and consistent hands).

54 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Hollins is more of a special teams player in my opinion, he's taking that Jake Kumerow/Trent Sherfield WR5 role in my opinion. MVS on the other hand is more of a kick the tires see what he can offer, you can down worse for a WR4/5/6 depth option. 

Trent Sherfield was WR3/4 last year