Shakir starter or complement piece?

Mat68

6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Davis is a suitable goal line and short yardage back.  I dont think you understand how stalky 5’8 215 is.   

Stalky is great but 215 doesn't move guys on the goal line like 230 does.  Singletary ran over people very well for his size and even scored a few TD's on the goal line when they gave him a chance.  That said there's a reason that Josh runs so much in short yardage and that's because 240 pounds moves guys.

On 5/11/2024 at 12:24 PM, Mat68 said:

Shakir doesn't have less than Ideal athleticism...  I was using St Brown as a style of wr described.  What makes Shakir a compliment?  His alignment? St. Brown is primary slot with very good yac ability?  Im not saying Shakir is going to be St Brown.  I do think the team will use him more than many expect with the amount of targets available.  Entering his 3rd year I think he will be given every opportunity to have a big role. 

I love Shakir’s game.  The TD against the Steelers was a top 5 play in the NFL last year.  He has good hands, is somewhat twitchy and seems to know how to get open.  He will play a big role with the offense this season. And so should Kincaid.  (Hopefully more downfield catches with an opportunity of YAC ).  

It will be interesting to see how the offense develops this year w/o Diggs and Davis.  I don’t think you need a big time #1 WR to be successful.  There are really only a handful of those guys in the league anyways.  The way the Packers play their WR’s works fine.  I feel like when the dust settles through training camp, the offense will be ready to go.  With #17 leading the offense we should always be a handful for our opponents.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Stalky is great but 215 doesn't move guys on the goal line like 230 does.  Singletary ran over people very well for his size and even scored a few TD's on the goal line when they gave him a chance.  That said there's a reason that Josh runs so much in short yardage and that's because 240 pounds moves guys.

Fourth and goal from the 1.  Give me Davis any day of the week over Guerendo or Brelon Allen.  I assume by size and speed those would be better choices? In a vacuum size sure its better.  Neither were great at it in college. Davis excelled at it in the SEC.  Davis is the better all around runner without the extra rocket up his ass.  If Davis was as big and fast as either Guerendo or Allen he is a fringe first rounder.  If Allen or Guerendo were Davis size and speed they may go undrafted.  Singletary is an NFL back.  People can be scared because of Singletary and Moss but both have proven to be solid NFL running backs.  Imo Davis is better than both.   

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 2

I don't know Davis well enough.  In short yardage Allen might be one of the best.  That said there is a certain amount of abuse he takes doing it.  If Davis is that good at short yardage he'd certainly be able to carve out a role.  Pretty sure that's what Murray and Harris were supposed to do last season.

19 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

I don't know Davis well enough.  In short yardage Allen might be one of the best.  That said there is a certain amount of abuse he takes doing it.  If Davis is that good at short yardage he'd certainly be able to carve out a role.  Pretty sure that's what Murray and Harris were supposed to do last season.

Josh Allen is a weapon. Sneaks at an incredible high rate.  I think you use Allens running ability late as possible.  Playoffs, Division, or seed purposes.  I can’t think of a reason to call a designed run before the first snowfall of the season.  Use Davis, Johnson, Cook whoever before than.  An occasional sneak sure.  Allen scrambles sure.  Allen power right on 2nd and 7 from the 35 no thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Josh Allen is a weapon. Sneaks at an incredible high rate.  I think you use Allens running ability late as possible.  Playoffs, Division, or seed purposes.  I can’t think of a reason to call a designed run before the first snowfall of the season.  Use Davis, Johnson, Cook whoever before than.  An occasional sneak sure.  Allen scrambles sure.  Allen power right on 2nd and 7 from the 35 no thank you. 

I absolutely agree but when you don't have anyone who's good at slamming up in there for 3 yards and you drop to 5 and 5 in the middle of the season the gloves come off.  Pretty sure neither Dorsey or Brady were drawing up game plans where Josh was running 3rd and short 10 plus times but you have to do what you have to do.  What I'm getting at is the team saying they don't want Allen running is different than having a big back and actually being able to do something other than run Allen.  I haven't seen them run short yardage well with anyone other than Allen.  Singletary on 3rd down against Miami running out the clock is etched in my memory and that's about it.  Would love to see it happen.

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 12:09 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

80 and 1000 isn't what it once was. That's roughly 4.7 catches and 59 yards per game over a 17 games season. Those are role player/WR3 numbers. Which is where he likely falls. 

Exactly 1000 yards would have ranked 29th in the NFL last season in between Terry McLauren and Travis Kelce.  Only 34 WRs had 800 or more yards.

Edited by Billl
  • Like (+1) 1

It took 3 years for the Bills play callers and game planners to realize this guy has developed into a big play, clutch receiver that consistently gets separation and catches everything. You want to classify him as #2 or #3, be my guest, but he will be one of Josh’s primary targets when games are on the line.  I think Coleman and Samuel will be great long term additions and our Kincaid is probably the best TE not named Kelce in the AFC, but Shakir has chemistry with Josh and wants the ball in the biggest moments. I’m very optimistic about our receivers and Cook as a matchup nightmare out of the backfield. Good luck covering these talented young guys and protecting against Josh running wild.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I'm down on Samuel due to the fact I know nothing much about him. Any playing time Samuel takes from Shakir or spilts in snaps would be a negative for me as I feel Shakir is the better and best option. Basically I want them on the same field and not sharing snaps

Edited by JoshAllin

Posted (edited)

catch.png

This is my hope for Shakir and everyone else for that matter.

The catch rate for Shakir with that many targets is probably not reasonable, but hope springs eternal.

Edited by kitchen sink

30 minutes ago, JoshAllin said:

I'm down on Samuel due to the fact I know nothing much about him. Any playing time Samuel takes from Shakir or spilts in snaps would be a negative for me as I feel Shakir is the better and best option. Basically I want them on the same field and not sharing snaps

I really like Samuel. This biggest knock on him is health imo.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, JoshAllin said:

Lol, this is an odd take. You’re down on him because you don’t know about him. If you don’t know about him, why are you so confident that Shakir will be a better fit?

I love Samuel as a player. It’s probably a little irrational but I’ve been waiting for more Buckeyes on this roster. He isn’t a pure WR. For what it’s worth, they are pretty similar. They are guys that are better with the ball in their hands. Samuel is a converted RB (I thought Shakir was too). Samuel is fast. He’s one of the fastest guys on the team. He’s a rich man’s McKenzie or Harty and a poor man’s Deebo. Samuel and Shakir have similar strengths. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, JoshAllin said:

I'm not sure why you'd be down on a player you don't know much about.  He's a proven player in the NFL with 4+ productive seasons.  He hasn't had a great QB to play with, so I think he can be a really good player for us.  Shakir has a bit more to prove to be the better or best option over Samuel.

In saying that, they're going to be on the field together a lot, IMO.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Only 6 wrs will make the team.

Only 4 will be active on game day

-Samuel

-Coleman

-Shakir

-Shorter/Claypool 

Coleman better be ready to start

They will have more than 4 active receivers on game day 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Only 6 wrs will make the team.

Only 4 will be active on game day

-Samuel

-Coleman

-Shakir

-Shorter/Claypool 

Coleman better be ready to start

Hollins is WR4.   He will be active because of his ST ability.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/11/2024 at 11:27 AM, Mat68 said:

Your opinion of Khalil Shakir is your opinion of the 24 Buffalo Bills offense.  Will Shakir develop into a starting wr and a feature of the passing attack or be a nice role player?  If you think he can be a feature of the offense then your overall expectations for 24 are still high.  If he is just a nice slot guy your hoping for a massive trade.  You feel the offense is subpar and a major concern moving forward. 

Shakir had a year of a nice third guy.  39 catches 611 yards.  He was not used the first 6 weeks.  Only received 5 targets and 4 catches.  You take his usage from week 7 to 18 over a full season thats 52 catches for 882.  Doesnt knock your socks off but you can see why he would be looked at a bit differently.  

There are alot of targets available 160 from Diggs and 81 from Davis.  They were also highly inefficient players.  Diggs catch % last year was 66 and Davis was 55.  Shakir was at 85.  In general Shakir made the most of his opportunities.  I do not see him getting Diggs work load.  I dont see any weapon getting that.

I think Shakir will be used a tick more than he was down the stretch.  I think he has a chance at being a 1,000 yard receiver and I dont think it is that much of an ask.  If you see Shakir as a possible 80 catch 1,000 yard guy your not hanging your hopes on a big time trade.  Worked with Cook.  Worked with Benard. I think it works with Shakir. 

882 are solid WR2 numbers. 900 yards is a starter. I think he's gonna go for 1100 and 85 catches. Borderline 1.

Here’s my opinion and advice on this. Make Shakir your WR3, he’s either a guy you believe can handle the role or you don’t, right now. Do not dick around with this kid and his role. I believe that if he has a clearly defined position at WR3, he could be one of the best in the league. 

They still have to figure out WR1 and WR2. That’s plenty. Don't screw around with WR3 in addition. 

I don’t know what type of mentoring Shakir has had for this specific role, but having a veteran in front of him these past two years could have been really valuable to him. Too bad the Bills haven’t been a WR factory with longevity as of late. With Allen, I’d like to see guys stick around passed year four… too much to ask..? We haven’t been able to get a drafted WR to a second contract in how long..? Obviously, there’s a problem. And I don’t think it’s Allen. I do think it’s Beane, McDermott, the revolving OC chair, and staff. This Coleman pick, and Shakir’s growth, will be very very large when contemplating if OBD can get the job done with WRs.

It’s too bad Diggs didn’t work out. Davis. Now with a cleaned house, it’s outright imperative to stabilize that position room. We need guys that will be here long term. Your senior most WR needs to have the his role clearly defined right now.. not see how it goes.. 

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

How many passing yards do you think the Bills will have in 2024?  Whatever your answer, why does it matter which receivers get the yards?

Doesn’t matter. I think what does matter to most posters is the lack of talent and experience in that room. It’s questionable right now if your option of x,xxx passing yards (I’m guessing you think it will be a top 5 stat) is distributed at all. 

We don’t need a WR to have huge numbers. But we do need a guy that is clutch. Usually it’s the WR1 that’s clutch, because he’s more talented and capable of big plays in big spots. That’s what’s missing right now.

There’ve been teams that have had a consistently clutch WR who doesn’t put up WR1 numbers……. Oh wait, no, no there hasn’t. That's the worry.