Question or topic of the day - a new idea for the board

Do not support idea.  It will be used to knock down other topics just because a topic didn't get approval from some random committee.  Leave board as it is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My office does a Friday question/topic that is designed to generate light hearted debate and get everyone involved.  It always gets a good response.  If these threads of the day were all encompassing in terms of topic I think it could be a hit. Everyday might be a bit much.  Examples are below:

In the thread below, give me the travel pet peeve that other people do that drives you crazy / you wish would be illegal / incites violence in your soul. GO!  

The Mount Rushmore of major characters of popular shows that actually really stink has to include?

This link will take you to the Guinness World Records Showcase. Go browse and then come running back to this thread and tell me one world record you think you can break 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 2:17 PM, Rocky Landing said:

I think it's a great idea. As far as who gets selected, and who gets denied, I would hope that some of our more contentious posters would get a day, or two, and I would also hope that different sides of the spectrum would be represented-- optimist vs. pessimist, if you will. Like maybe Wednesdays could be one of our "knowledgable jackasses" (we all know who they are), and then Thursdays could be the "hopelessly optimistic homers." (We know who they are, too...)

Be that as it may, great idea, and I'm really looking forward to it. It may take a week, or three to catch on, and certainly some questions, and some posters will have varying degrees of popularity, but I suspect that with some tweaking, it's going to become very popular.

I like it

10 hours ago, ChasBB said:

Do not support idea.  It will be used to knock down other topics just because a topic didn't get approval from some random committee.  Leave board as it is.

You get a voice on Monday.

Edited by Figster

On 5/5/2024 at 6:06 PM, MJS said:

It's a good idea. Some days I open up TBD, scan all the topics and see none are new (besides some dumb ones) and leave.

Getting some of TBD's more football knowledgeable posters involved like @Rochesterfan by way of example would be ideal.

As a rule of thumb, if the topic needs to be pinned to draw traffic, it probably isn't that interesting to the wide audience of board members. (this excludes announcements and the like)

I am not sure I understand the need to designate a "topic of the day".  The current system of threads rising to the top of the board based on traffic and recency seems to successfully identify the topics people are most interested in on any given day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

As a rule of thumb, if the topic needs to be pinned to draw traffic, it probably isn't that interesting to the wide audience of board members. (this excludes announcements and the like)

I am not sure I understand the need to designate a "topic of the day".  The current system of threads rising to the top of the board based on traffic and recency seems to successfully identify the topics people are most interested in on any given day. 

Entertainment purposes.

The hot topics could have as little as 3 posters in deep discussion to keep them current. I'm not sure its a good example of the board as a whole when many TBD patrons do more reading then posting.

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

many TBD patrons do more reading then posting.

This may make some sense on the surface.  But if you pin a topic that people only read and don't post it, it doesn't seem like it will be particularly interesting. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This may make some sense on the surface.  But if you pin a topic that people only read and don't post it, it doesn't seem like it will be particularly interesting. 

Question of the day by way of example may draw more actual responses from a wider range of posters then a well written thread IMO.

My last thread a few weeks ago about changing the draft order format could have been a question of the day.

Everyone responding while polite clearly didn't like the idea, but overall the thread went well. After watching the last NFL Draft, and I loved it. TBD patrons know best... 

Edited by Figster

Posted (edited)

Must the question (wether daily or weekly) be football related? Or are any and all topics fair game? I do think there are fun off season type threads that would work and be fun for folks to reply to.

if it were only football related we could ask questions like how many of you have played American football and what position

Or who is your favorite college football team

Or how many NFL stadiums have you visited in person

Non sports topics could be anything from favorite  cocktail, favorite ethnic food, what is your favorite travel destination, favorite beer, how many states have you visited, etc etc etc What sports do you currently play for fun. 

I think the idea overall could be fun . My guess is if it is being posted on the main board it should relate to football.

thoughts?   

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

This isn't anything groundbreaking, it's just an experiment to see if the mods can get the board moving in a better direction. Participation isn't required. You're not going to have to fill out a TPS form, or anything...

I don’t see any value in this. There are tons of news threads throughout the week. Adding one more, but pinning it, is the only goal of this? And it’s to ensure we get at least one new thread a day? If it’s a really slow day that will force the “nominee” to come up with something, anything. Doesn’t the engagement in a thread already tell us the popularity or interest level in that topic? 

All of that said, I - and anyone else who doesn’t like the idea - can simply scroll past one new pinned post.

Candidly, I tend to skip over pinned threads on any message board; kinda like skipping the paid results after using a search engine. 

• Agree 3

On 5/5/2024 at 10:33 AM, BuffaloBill said:

To the TBD community - 

For periods of the offseason new threads can be limited in number.  To supplement new threads, I want to propose an idea if seven+ of you are interested.

The idea is simple:

• Early AM of your assigned day you will create a thread - the question or topic of the day
  • Identify the thread by staring it with “QOD -“ (for Question of the Day) 
  • You may volunteer to take one weekday. You become responsible for that weekday. So, if you are unavailable (vacation or whatnot) an alternate for the day will be identified.  The two of you will need to coordinate to make sure your topic is ready
  • If you want out, period, after being assigned a day, PM me and a replacement will be identified
  • A mod will pin the thread
  • People will respond in the thread as normal
  • the next day the pin will be unpinned (replaced) - posters may continue to respond as normal here.
  • To make the selection process as fair as possible, the most senior board participants will be given first dibs. Additionally, it will be my discretion to eliminate you from selection if your warning history is indicative of potential problems.
  • We will try this until the start of camp to see how it works
  • If popular enough maybe we continue it beyond then
  • If this process becomes in any way problematic for the community, the mods, or SDS it will be eliminated as a board practice
  • If there is not enough interest to get seven days of coverage the idea will die a natural death 

PM me if you are interested.  If you have preference for a particular day (i.e. you want Tuesday only) please note this in the message.  Also, if you have an alternate that you prefer to work with please let me know.

Thanks.

• Haha (+1) 1

@BuffaloBill In essence this is a board and we are members, therefore I contend that you only accept those nominated by a single member and confirmed via a minimum of 10 thumbs up post nomination.  Make it a democracy!  

On 5/6/2024 at 10:10 PM, ChasBB said:

Fair assessment, but have you seen the quality of threads lately?  I support 90% of them being knocked down 😂 

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Well, we're checking off the classic "Rooney Rule debate" today so you know what is coming next...

I'm holding out hope for an unhinged rant about how hard it is to be a white guy in America!

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Prospector said:

I had no idea that topics weren't being created daily. That's a shame to say the least

We’re between the draft and training camp/OTAs. Every Bills topic imaginable has been discussed thrice.