Is it true the Bills didn’t “do enough” at WR to compete for championships?

14 hours ago, mannc said:

I like Brian Thomas Jr a lot and I was hoping the Bills drafted him, but there were rumors about injuries and unspecified off-field issues that may have made him drop.  In any event, he was not available when the Bills picked so they would have had to move up for him, probably into the late teens.  It's impossible to criticize them for not making such a move when we have no idea what it would have cost or if it was even do-able.

Yes, the Bears have been a poorly run franchise over the past 25 years, but this regime has only been around for 3 or 4 years.  They got off to a rocky start, but they've made some very astute moves in the past couple year and could be a playoff team this year if it turns out Williams can play.  They aren't nearly as bad an organization as the Browns, Jets, Panthers, Cardinals, Saints, Falcons, Broncos, etc...   

There are no rumors about Claypool--guys a bum.  I couldn't find anything like him on Thomas Jr.  I don't know what a "rumored injury" is.  He was projected as the 4th WR to go and he was---clearly if you think it wasn't even doable, then no other team looking for WR there was worried about whatever rumors you are talking about. 

Look at the moves the Bears have made the past 3-4 years.  Look at the results.  The Bears fans would swap rosters with the Jets today--stacked D and Offense with proven weapons. .  Broncos have been to and won a SB in the past 9 years.  ATL in the past 6. 

On 5/4/2024 at 9:56 AM, Einstein's Dog said:

You don't construct teams headed by the likes of J Goff or B Purdy the same way if you have a Josh "Freakin" Allen! 

Josh is arguably one of the best ever at firing 25-30 yard downfield lasers.  And the boundary WRs that are penciled in for 2024 for this extreme talent are 1 rookie?  Are you kidding me? 

I don't believe it actually, but a lot of you do and are seemingly fine with it.  I can only hope that the lack of uproar over the pathetic WR group doesn't affect the FO and they decide they can get away with rolling this mess out.

Many of the top NFL teams have not that great a receiver group. And the KC Chiefs sure proved you can win it all without one! Besides Kelce, they have good but not great ones. 

Still, I agree with your take. Josh is a very special talent and that is why it matters. BTW Diggs was a legit #1 WR when traded for by the Bills. Anyway, sure, get him top talent... if you can. But the salary cap exists and so do the other 31 teams competing for the same talent.

But no excuses. Moss caught 39 TDs from Brady in just a few years. Yet do we need to remind ourselves that Brady won anyway no matter who surrounded him?

And in all these takes, the OL is always forgotten. Beane improved the group greatly last year and it makes a huge difference. Mahomes had a much better OL too and KC won the SB.

7 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Bills had a group of receivers that included Diggs and Davis. I’d say that’s better than hockey pucks. We’ve been to the AFCCG once just to get blown out. Now they’re gone and replaced with unproven talents but it’s enough now?

Kincaid and Coleman need to develop into top pass catchers. Also need one of the fast receivers on the roster to consistently stretch the field to clear out the middle. I don’t believe the Bills can win a superbowl without major contributors from the wr position. It’s not the same situation as KC. 

We scored almost 30 points without any contribution from  Diggs and Davis  and would have beaten the Chiefs if only our defense did not allow a TD on every drive , we all know why we lost and it’s not because of offense 

23 minutes ago, Putin said:

We scored almost 30 points without any contribution from  Diggs and Davis  and would have beaten the Chiefs if only our defense did not allow a TD on every drive , we all know why we lost and it’s not because of offense 

The offense had the ball last with a chance to win and couldn’t do it. It’s a team effort win or lose. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Putin said:

To be fair.. the defense got a stop after the ill advised fake punt... and forced a punt on the next drive.  

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

To be fair.. the defense got a stop after the ill advised fake punt... and forced a punt on the next drive.  

Was that before or after the chiefs scored 28 points ? 

They drafted one guy with all those picks. You tell me! 😉

Going into the draft, did you think we were one 2nd round WR + some 1 year FA signings away from being all set?

I think they'll be ok, but they're still behind where they were in past years. 

On 5/4/2024 at 9:38 AM, Mat68 said:

Comes down to Shakir and Kincaid.  If they maintain some of their efficiency with more volume Buffalo will have a very good offense.  Coleman is the x factor.  If he plays well the offense could be better.  Having top pass catcher also be a plus blocker opens alot up in play action. With smaller defenses and 2 deep coverage Buffalo is going with a more bully style of offense.  

Agree.

Brady/17 was not using Diggs much 2H2023.  Just a playoff dropped pass and a missed field goal folks....It feels like they are leaning in on Josh's style and frankly have come to grips and more to the point, EMBRACED, that this will never be a Brady Edelmen throw open/timing offense. 

37 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

They drafted one guy with all those picks. You tell me! 😉

Going into the draft, did you think we were one 2nd round WR + some 1 year FA signings away from being all set?

I think they'll be ok, but they're still behind where they were in past years. 

Coleman is not a speedster but will probably be a good pro so it’s a solid pick. The team is counting on one of the speed guys on the roster to emerge. If that doesn’t happen this season they’ll address it next offseason is my guess. 

On 5/4/2024 at 8:45 AM, Gugny said:

Maybe when PGA Josh starts throwing the ball to guys who are open, instead of waiting for an opportunity to huck it 70 yards, our receivers will start looking better. 

Allen played GREAT in 2 out of the 3 playoff losses we've had to KC. McD and his D have been horrific in all 3. Josh isn't the one holding us back. 

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Allen played GREAT in 2 out of the 3 playoff losses we've had to KC. McD and his D have been horrific in all 3. Josh isn't the one holding us back. 

How’d he do in that Cinci playoff game?

Can you imagine Pat Mahomes mailing it in like that?

Maybe I'm a homer but I have a bunch of positive thoughts on the WR group and our upcoming aerial attack...

First of all, if the OL protects Josh, he's going to make plays regardless.  This OL just might turn out to be our best yet since Josh's arrival.

Secondly, these receivers aren't elite level NFLers but they're not high school kids either.  If Brady is as smart and creative as some think he is, he'll scheme them open.

Third, the analytics on the guys we lost weren't good.  Josh's passer rating when throwing to Diggs and Davis was low.  It was much higher when throwing to Kincaid and Shakir.  Additionally, both Diggs and Davis ranked in the bottom half of the league in separation according to one chart I saw.  My own observations don't incline me to disagree.  

Finally, we have 11 wide receivers on the roster.  11!  Maybe we have 11 scrubs, but I don't think so.  Shakir and Samuel are both proven, semi-proven guys.  Claypool has demonstrated in the past that he has legit NFL talent.  If he pulls his head out of his butt, he'll be a contributor.  Beane and Allen both like Coleman.   Hamler has speed, as does Isabella.  Etc.  Maybe all 11 have some chance of being a good, if not great, contributor.  And we don't need all 11 to be non-scrubs, just 4 of them if we can stay healthy.        

Let me remind my mafia bros and sisses that we also have one of the better TE duos in the league.   

A lot depends on Brady.  But if he proves to be a good OC, we just may see more receivers running open this year than we did last season.  Not fewer.  

If Coleman starts out of the gate well, there isn’t too much to worry about because Kincaid and Shakir have already begun to emerge, Samuel is a good player who will benefit by finally having a great QB and if Cook can cure his case of untimely drops, Cook is excellent out of the backfield. And Knox is a great blocker who can contribute.

They just need to find a 4th WR who can make a clutch catch here and there.

Hamler has considerably more talent than McKenzie had here as a 4th WR, but can he that guy? Who the heck knows.