Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

On 5/7/2024 at 11:52 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't know what Beane's life strategy is - but his football strategy, wrt to the offense, is hoping for best-case outcomes across the board.  Best cases that would exceed what EVERY SINGLE RECEIVER has accomplished in their careers to date.  It's a terrible strategy.

Best year- Samuels 851 Claypool 873 Shakir 691 Hollins 690 Knox- 587 Kincaid 673 

That is more than 4000 yards And that is without Keon Coleman. I stated a while ago that I expect this offense to be a pick your poison deal, not mainly force feeding Diggs and I think that is great. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Best year- Samuels 851 Claypool 873 Shakir 691 Hollins 690 Knox- 587 Kincaid 673 

That is more than 4000 yards And that is without Keon Coleman. I stated a while ago that I expect this offense to be a pick your poison deal, not mainly force feeding Diggs and I think that is great. 

It might work. The theory sounds good, if Brady is good at OC. I'd still like to add a plus talent receiver post 6/1.

I'm sorry that WR room just doesn't look sound to me, though I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.

Try calculating low bar for those with multiple seasons. I bet it doesn't look so rosy.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It might work. The theory sounds good, if Brady is good at OC. I'd still like to add a plus talent receiver post 6/1.

I'm sorry that WR room just doesn't look sound to me, though I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.

Try calculating low bar for those with multiple seasons. I bet it doesn't look so rosy.

The non-Bills guys all have only played with below average QBs and still have had good years. Each of them should have near career years if not even better, and I am not counting the RBs who seem capable of adding a few catches a game. That being said I would be happy with an established outside WR but I think the love of a #1 receiver is improper, I would rather have 5 guys I can count on then even 2 great ones like in Miami 

8 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

The non-Bills guys all have only played with below average QBs and still have had good years. Each of them should have near career years if not even better, and I am not counting the RBs who seem capable of adding a few catches a game. That being said I would be happy with an established outside WR but I think the love of a #1 receiver is improper, I would rather have 5 guys I can count on then even 2 great ones like in Miami 

I can't seem to get rid of a prejudice for WR1. I still think it's better to have one, but I acknowledge the hydra approach does have its selling points. 

If you genuinely have weapons all across the field, I'm not sure how you gameplan to stop that.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Orlando Tim said:

I buy into that- it seems the coaching staff/OC felt Josh was trying to assuage Digg's needs by throwing balls his way that would have benefited the team if they went elsewhere. We win by getting Josh in a position (without a diva) to win bigger with a receiving corps that benefits the run game no matter the personnel group. Our O with Diggs on the field was a D tell that even if we ran it could be covered with one less run defender.

Edited by AKC

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2024 at 8:27 PM, Orlando Buffalo said:

well shoot- if we are getting all of their best years 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/9/2024 at 10:00 PM, Dr. Who said:

I hear ya, but their low bar seasons didn’t have Josh Allen slinging the rock, so there is that 😁👍

• Like (+1) 2

McDermott is impressed. He's working hard, saying all the right things, and approaching this with the right mindset.

I see us keeping 6. Coleman, Samuel, Shakir (those 3, obviously), MVS, and Hollins are locked in. In my mind, it was Shorter and Claypool in a battle for WR6 - with Shorter having a leg up all things equal being a 5th Round investment. 

But if Claypool's work ethic and mindset are top tier, it's probably going to be an uphill battle for Shorter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Having an offense with a big X in mind will help Claypool make the roster.  Playing as a large outside receiver with Pittsburgh he was productive.  Of all the guys to win the day Im surprised it was Claypool.  I expected it to happen in TC when fans see his size and speed.  

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

well shoot- if we are getting all of their best years 

The Bills were supposed to be getting Sherfield and Harty's best years too.   It was just a given to people like @Orlando Buffalo.   I mean........they had never had a QB like Josh Allen.   Right?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills were supposed to be getting Sherfield and Harty's best years too.   It was just a given to people like @Orlando Buffalo.   I mean........they had never had a QB like Josh Allen.   Right?

I, admittedly, bit on them too. Perhaps out of necessity because he didn't bring in similar type players as competition for them and in doing so (or not doing so) had me feeling like he knew they were going to work. He was wrong and so was I.

I'm glad that this year he's not doing the same thing in just handing unheralded players spots on the 53. MVS, Hollins, Shorter (his Draft investment from last year), Claypool, and Hamler all battle for 3 slots - with 2 being cut. 

It's a better approach. Claypool will be handed nothing and will have to earn it, unlike Harty and Sherfield before him.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Guys like Curtis Samuel might benefit more with Allen. Sherfield and Harty total low free agents (Samuel way more production). Hoping Claypool mirrors 20 and 21 stats.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I mean........they had never had a QB like Josh Allen.   Right?

I'm as interested in the fact that Josh Allen has never really had a WR quite like Claypool.

The suddenness and catch radius could be a boon to Allen; if they were to get on the same page, that could get real interesting, real quick.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm as interested in the fact that Josh Allen has never really had a WR quite like Claypool.

The suddenness and catch radius could be a boon to Allen; if they were to get on the same page, that could get real interesting, real quick.

The guy is the size of Kincaid with the speed of Diggs.  I like my chances with a guy like that one on one.  Hopefully he puts everything together this year.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Same could be said for John Brown and Cole Beasley.  

Josh got Gabe Davis 13M a year.  Obviously a gross overpay.  he made Robert Foster look like an NfL WR.  He’s made chicken salad out of chicken **** before.  He’ll do it again.  Not sure who, but if we’re going to take this route (no big name WRs) i’m glad we’re rolling the low risk dice on physically talents guys.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

McDermott is impressed. He's working hard, saying all the right things, and approaching this with the right mindset.

I see us keeping 6. Coleman, Samuel, Shakir (those 3, obviously), MVS, and Hollins are locked in. In my mind, it was Shorter and Claypool in a battle for WR6 - with Shorter having a leg up all things equal being a 5th Round investment. 

But if Claypool's work ethic and mindset are top tier, it's probably going to be an uphill battle for Shorter.

I'm not so sure Hollins is a lock.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Simon said:

Physically Claypool has always been a beast.   Mentally he's been feeble/delusional.   I'm expecting the latter to ultimately be who he is with the Bills.   Just like I expected the version of Trent Sherfield who dropped a would-be TD pass and took a punt off his butt in his games against Buffalo in 2022 and not the Sherfield whose WR coach in SF "reportedly" told him that he should be starting over Brandon Aiyuk. :lol:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1