Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

You know… when the Bills got rid of Diggs .. I was sure that Beane had a plan to replace him with another “name” guy prior to the 2024 season 

With the draft in the rear view mirror …I’m beginning to think this might not now happen 🤔

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Thing is, he's not the bottom of the barrel.  That would be someone like John Ross (who?  Cincinnati 1st round WR 2017) or N'Keal Harry or....Kadarius Toney?  Guys who were drafted high and have not been able to live up to it.  Or, for that matter, Andy Isabella and KJ Hamler.

Claypool undoubtedly has talent.  He showed that in '20 and again in '21.  He can play at an NFL level.   It's just whatever's in his damn Haid that's the question.

There musta been something in the water of that Pittsburgh locker room, WR catching the Cray-Cray all round: Antonio Brown, Juju S-S, Claypool 

Kadarius Toney might be a loose headcase, but i'd give anything to have him as an option.

Not bottom of the barrel

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Now we can hit them with the ol’ Groot-n-Smoot.

Most positive thing I can say about Claypool is… Go Irish!

he was a stud in South Bend. And I personally would love it if the Bills had a Domer because they are my college team. I think he rejuvenating his career in WNY would be the Bomb.  If he is only a camp body so be it. But he has size and skills. I say give him a shot and hope for the best 🙂

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

You know… when the Bills got rid of Diggs .. I was sure that Beane had a plan to replace him with another “name” guy prior to the 2024 season 

With the draft in the rear view mirror …I’m beginning to think this might not now happen 🤔

I don't see them making a big move.  Coleman is the earliest Wr drafted by Beane.  I also think he is very high on Shakir.  Slot and Z will be interchangeable by Samuel and Shakir.  

Many people don't feel the FO has done enough. "they're sitting on  their hands" .... They are bringing in guys who have been productive players at some point in time. That simply makes sense. Especially when most are still young men. Worst case is they must be cut. ... These guys are definitely worth a look. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

A lot of people thought that, it could still happen.  I thought kind of the opposite though with the great WR draft class I figured they would try to get guys on a 4 year rookie deal... except they only did one when most expected two.  The cap is real and every team has to make decisions.

6 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

Just some random thoughts...

1. The Bills are not going to be wowing us with any free agent signings, given their current cap situation. Even modest signings like those of Gallup, OBJ, Chark, etc. are currently out of the Bills' price range. So for now we will have to be content with dumpster diving -- and hoping to hit on a potential diamond in the rough.

Also, while they will be in better shape after June 1 when Tre's cap savings are freed up, I imagine the theme will be for them to remain frugal, given rookie contracts, etc.

2. Claypool has shown more than glimpses of what his upside represents. More, in fact, than Hamler. In Claypool's rookie season with a declining Big Ben, he racked up 62 receptions for 873 yards and 9 TDs.  Those are probably reasonable (maybe even hopeful) projections for what we might expect from Coleman as a rookie this season. In his second season (when Big Ben was all but shot) Claypool posted remarkably similar numbers: 59 receptions for 860 yards; however, he only scored 2 TDs.  The Steelers traded him to Chicago early on the next season -- and we know what a mess that Chicago offense was in 2022. Claypool failed to catch on with Miami -- but he was a very poor fit for their scheme.

3. I don't know what (if anything) Claypool has left. Is the production he exhibited back in 2020/2021 ancient history? Likely it is. But he is still young, and injuries have not been an issue for him the way they have been for Hamler, for example. After a promising rookie season, his career has been plagued by lousy QB play, poor scheme fit and poor attitude/preparation. In Buffalo he now has an elite QB -- and based on the "big" direction the offense is headed, it would seem that he is an ideal scheme fit. Provided that at just 25, he has not lost the physical talent he exhibited as a rookie, it would seem that the only thing holding him back is effort/attitude.

This is exactly the low-risk sort of gamble the Bills SHOULD be trying in their current cap-strapped situation.

Good post.  Everything points to an immature 21/22 year old. He has had some time to possibly grow up.

Most fans seem to miss Beane knows all about his issues and surely talked to his agent then Chase himself.  I would imagine Beane being dang straight with him.

I am seeing Beane be more and more like the way Pioli operated in NE.

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

He told you it wasn't going to happen. There comes a time you gotta quit looking to FA'S and trades and play your own.

• Agree 1

They called him Waste Claypool in Pittsburgh because that's what he is, this is just a camp body in hopes of turning into something but most likely wont make the squad. I would hope this signing wouldn't stop the Bills for going out and adding other WR's. I'd much rather have 4 games of Mike Thomas who actually tries then this dude. I think Smoot was a solid get and will make the team as a situational guy for us.

Just cannot believe how off-brand this is for McBeane.  Borderline desperate.  Maybe the youngest WR room in the NFL.  Drafted a raw but focused young WR to be the Alpha and they bring in this dog as one of the “vets” in the WR room?  The risk of this going sideways and Claypool becoming a bad influence on Coleman is huge given this guy’s track record.  But more than anything I’m surprised they went for a guy like this, I mean I guess Benjamin was a known loafer and Star too now that I think about it.  Never mind I’ve talked myself out of the point.

Anyhow this signing is asinine.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, stuvian said:

I'm giving Claypool the benefit of the doubt over the trainwreck that is the Chicago Bears.

Can you name a receiver in the last 5 years that has panned out for the Bears? Me neither.

These GMs play politics to cover up their own mistakes. Fields is a bust so let's blame it on the receivers to save our job.

Suddenly the Steelers are talking bout Fields running back kicks! Isn't that tacit admission that he's inept as a passer?

Claypool wasn't going to get many looks in Miami being the new guy in town with Hill and Waddle.

This signing is all upside.

Agreed 100%

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Just cannot believe how off-brand this is for McBeane.  Borderline desperate.  Maybe the youngest WR room in the NFL.  Drafted a raw but focused young WR to be the Alpha and they bring in this dog as one of the “vets” in the WR room?  The risk of this going sideways and Claypool becoming a bad influence on Coleman is huge given this guy’s track record.  But more than anything I’m surprised they went for a guy like this, I mean I guess Benjamin was a known loafer and Star too now that I think about it.  Never mind I’ve talked myself out of the point.

Anyhow this signing is asinine.

Mitch Trubisky being in the locker room when it went bad in Pittsburgh. I’m confident they asked him about Claypool. Not everything is what it seems.

Claypool definitely has an alpha dog mentality and wants the ball. I’m not sure he was wrong about the Pittsburgh offensive coaches or Chicago. Was he? Those teams fired their offensive coaches and have made major changes at QB.

Miami was a struggle to get on the field. Was getting only a few snaps a game.Yes I’m making excuses for him. But they are real excuses. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

2 hours ago, Kornfed said:

Many people don't feel the FO has done enough. "they're sitting on  their hands" .... They are bringing in guys who have been productive players at some point in time. That simply makes sense. Especially when most are still young men. Worst case is they must be cut. ... These guys are definitely worth a look. 

Worst case is he uses his talent, balls out for two months to make the team, and then goes back to his old habits once the season starts taking away a roster spot from someone else.  Another possibility is he balls out for a year (which would be great) with the incentive to sign a big multi-year contract next year.  Old habits die hard so proceed with caution with players like Claypool.