This Will Be The Make Or Break Year For This Regime

H2o

6 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Unless the team is really bad this year McDermott won't fire Beane.

In terms of passing on Mahomes... sure McD traded his draft rights to the Chiefs and he would've been very good but not potential GOAT here in Buffalo. Mahomes has had the fortune of playing under one of the GOAT offensive minds in the game where Allen has played for a Defensive HC that believes in complimentary football to keep his Defense off the field. Under Andy Reid Josh probably has a ring or two by this point.

I hope Beane wouldn't be the fall guy because I'm sure that McDermott full on has his hands in everything as well. I also agree with your sentiment about Mahomes and Andy Reid. I think that is the biggest difference in all of this. It's a tough place to be in because I don't hate either of them like some people want to try and portray. I haven't been one of the constant "fire this person" or "fire that person" people. That's why I say this is a make or break year because of how everything has unfolded.

I don't think people quite understand what I am getting at when I say this. I think that they will get to be here in 2025 unless there is an extreme drop-off. The only way they are ousted is if they go something like 5-12 and McDermott loses the team. I do think that the way everything plays out, as I explained initially, will make or break them. If the draft, and what they did for WR group with Allen works out, they will be heralded as roster savants. If the WR's they passed on excel on their respective teams, but our WR group does not here, then the heat will be on. If they just handed KC Tyreek 2.0 (which I don't believe he is at all imo), then the heat will be on. If the rest of the players drafted look like real impact players for this team, then they will be held in high regard. If they are just more average guys, then the heat will be on. This is what I mean by make or break, that the ENTIRETY of everything that has taken place this offseason will make or break this regime. If it works out, if this looks like they've reloaded, they will be here for the foreseeable future. If the decisions look to have failed, and we handed KC another All-Pro in the process, then I think the heat is on. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think that they will get to be here in 2025 unless there is an extreme drop-off. The only way they are ousted is if they go something like 5-12 and McDermott loses the team.

I think this is part of what goes into the reset as well. With all the new blood and fresh young leaders, they can't lose the team. The other group was getting very stale. This reset changes the attitude in the room. So unless Josh turns on them, they will be here. 

I am not implying they reset the roster to buy themselves time. I am just saying the reset was badly needed and means they will be safe for at least 2 years 100%, unless they go 5-12 with a fully healthy team. 

3 hours ago, T master said:

What the H do you want ? He has taken this team to 4 - yes - FOUR consecutive AFC Championships - has the highest winning percentage in his time here higher i believe than Marv and before that the team hadn't been to the play offs in 17 yrs .

So what is so much worse now than it was before he got here ?? And who is your choice to bring in that is just all of the sudden because they walk through the door going to take this team to the super bowl ??

If you can give me just 1 person as a head coach that you can guarantee would walk through the door & instantly make this team any better than it has been since McD has been here then i'll take it but you can't ...

Congrats on completely missing your own point.

Also, Bill Belichick

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Congrats on completely missing your own point.

Also, Bill Belichick

I would take Bill over Sean 24-7-365. Better HC and DC. But that's not happening as McDermott and Beane aren't going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/30/2024 at 10:14 AM, PBF81 said:

It's going to have to come down to a battle between Pegula and the media before he'll ever get rid of McD.  

McD would be doing himself and the team a major-league favor if he simply hired someone with come creativity and a plan on offense, rather than shooting from the hip every offseason/season.  ... even to the extent of contradicting himself via this Draft.  

He simply refuses to give up control of an offense that he knows little about in terms of getting the most out of it.  Brady merely schemes things according to McD's ill-fated methodologies.  

Hopefully you will soon be a fellow Tennessean, but your killing me!!! Why do many of you want to disrupt a perennial playoff team, to me it's merely a temper tantrum by kids who did not get to the candy store. So if we "fire everybody" and go into another playoff draught will you and the rest of the gang publicly admit during non - playoff years you were wrong? I dont think so, but you all will do what you do best, "fire everybody" and McBeane will be long gone. Do some research on the Bills firing HC's, normally did not work out very well with one exception!

On 4/29/2024 at 9:16 AM, H2o said:

We have all seen how things unfolded the last few years. A dismantling in the AFC Championship game by KC, 13 Seconds, the flop against Cincy, and then the recreation of Wide Right. McDermott has had friction with multiple coaches because he can't stop meddling. We've had 3 OC's the last 3 years. Frazier was sent packing, McDermott officially took over the defense, and now Babich is going to be "running" things. We've had some questionable draft choices when there seemed to be better options at the time, usually involving selecting defensive players. Now, because of the way they tried to build this squad, and the unnecessary drama, we are in what Beane calls a "transition" phase. 

People love to talk about 2017, how we handed KC Mahomes. Beane wasn't here for that though. It was strictly a McDermott draft based off of the work Whaley and his scouts had done. That draft brought us White, Dawkins, and Milano. If not for the injuries that have derailed White's career, we could talk about the entire situation in a different manner. You can't deny that, right now, Mahomes is on his way to staking a claim at GOAT status. It is what it is. Now fast forward to 2024. Knowing what Allen needed, what this team needed, they traded with KC. With the situation that has unfolded with Rashee Rice, you have to believe KC was looking at WR. They take the WR with the fastest recorded 40 of all time. Me, personally, Worthy doesn't scare me. Yes, he's fast. But he has had some drops and the guy is lighter than my 16 year old at 165lbs. Let him get out there to get squared up by some of these LB's and S's who outweigh him by 30lbs-70lbs. I just don't think he's built to last in this league. I don't see him as Tyreek Hill 2.0 at all. Tyreek is 25lbs heavier than him and is a 4.2 guy in pads, as well as on the track. Still, if I am wrong, the Bills FO just handed KC a guy who will give us fits for years to come. It will be another black eye on this organization from something McDermott, and this time Beane, had hands in. 

The "run it back" mentality has bit them this time. Because we were so close in the 13 seconds game, they developed this "run it back" type of mentality. Sure, we changed a player here or there, but many of the pieces have been the same squad since then. The weight is always, squarely, on Josh's shoulders. People try to use KC as a comparison and say look at what they were able to achieve without big name WR's, or whatever else. Well, KC has Mahomes, Andy Reid scheming the offense for Mahomes (probably THE largest difference), one of the greatest TE's ever to play the game, has typically had a top tier OL, a REALLY good defense littered with talent across the board, and a DC in Spagnuolo who has been a part of 4 SB winning defenses. Gabe never developed, Edmunds never developed, Von's knee, Poyer got old, Hyde's neck injury, White constantly on IR, constantly cycling out JAG's to fill holes, constantly rolling with meh WR's (outside of Diggs, who became more trouble than he was worth), keeping together a middling OL because Josh makes them look better than they actually are, defensive instability, and have changed the guy calling the offense out 3 times in 3 years. Now, on top of that, we find ourselves in Cap purgatory and still no closer to the goal we wish to achieve. 

Going into the 2024 draft, a blind man could see Josh needed weapons on the outside. We had big shoes to fill in Diggs and we needed an upgrade on what Gabe Davis was in this offense. Shakir has shown promise, but he's primarily been used in the Slot. We signed Curtis Samuel, who has primarily been a Slot guy as well. After that we were left with a bunch of JAG's we already had. In the best WR class in at least 10 years, we come away with one WR. I'm not counting the camp fodder UDFA's. We drafted ONE guy. Opinions vary on that one guy. He is truly a boundary WR though. Still, you would have thought this team would have doubled up on boundary guys for the sake of giving their generational talent QB more to work with. Instead they throw all their eggs in one basket by going Safety, DT, and RB with their next 3 selections. Kirby mentioned it in another thread, and I have to concur, that this team looks to have a bottom 5 WR group right now. Until proven otherwise on the field, it is what it is. I think it is a failure, as well as a disservice to JA17, to only have come away with one WR out of this class. This doesn't mean I hate our draft, or grade it an F. I just think it's par for the course we've already seen from this regime, a course that has always seen us come up short.

In the end, I think this year will be the make or break for both Beane and McDermott. To continue to do things the same way and expect different results is madness. If the players they drafted become a foundational youth movement, if you can see the results on the field as to what they were drafted for, if Samuel, Shakir, and Coleman make for a dangerous group, if we can transition on the fly like KC did a couple years ago, and if we didn't just make the KC offense unstoppable again, then they'll be around for a while. But there are A LOT of "if's" in that statement. At some point you have to pull the plug if it's not getting you any closer to what should be the goal of every franchise in professional sports, a championship. We shall see. 

No, it won't.  Terry loves McBeane and they are staying.  They have had a damn good run by most standards and now have a minor rebuild going on.

Unless there is some total collapse,they will be here through 2027.

There was less doom scrolling on the BBMB during the decade of fail. I can't believe the level of hopelessness here.

In the Clappy/Beane era we have been in the playoffs six out of seven seasons. We are way closer to the top than the middle or the bottom.

I had season tickets from 2006 to 2018. We had a grand total of one playoff game in that time and it was on the road at Jacksonville. So zero home playoff games in twelve years. 

With the atmosphere on this board you'd think we were perennial losers like the Jets or Bears. 

These are the golden years folks.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, amprov56 said:

Hopefully you will soon be a fellow Tennessean, but your killing me!!! Why do many of you want to disrupt a perennial playoff team, to me it's merely a temper tantrum by kids who did not get to the candy store. So if we "fire everybody" and go into another playoff draught will you and the rest of the gang publicly admit during non - playoff years you were wrong? I dont think so, but you all will do what you do best, "fire everybody" and McBeane will be long gone. Do some research on the Bills firing HC's, normally did not work out very well with one exception!

Hopefully!  :)  

Be that as it may, just be prepared for more "making of the playoffs," which most coaches could do with Allen in our crap division, and divisional round losses.  All fine and good for anyone that's happy with that.  

Also, why don't we see how this season goes first.  

• Like (+1) 1

We've been through this since 13 seconds and I think winning six out of the last seven last year to win the division bought them at least two more years.  Barring a total regular season collapse (less than seven wins) with a healthy Josh Allen they aren't going anywhere (unless one of them commits a felony or something).  Going 53-22 including the postseason over a four year span will buy you a long leash.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, stuvian said:

There was less doom scrolling on the BBMB during the decade of fail. I can't believe the level of hopelessness here.

In the Clappy/Beane era we have been in the playoffs six out of seven seasons. We are way closer to the top than the middle or the bottom.

I had season tickets from 2006 to 2018. We had a grand total of one playoff game in that time and it was on the road at Jacksonville. So zero home playoff games in twelve years. 

With the atmosphere on this board you'd think we were perennial losers like the Jets or Bears. 

It's true what you say, all of it.

The stadium has been disproportionately negative/impatient the last two or three seasons, for example. In 2021 the gameday weather was improbably bad each week, and a few of the results were improbably disappointing (PIT, IND, NE in 2021, and in 2023 the 2nd half against GB through OT against MIN in 2022). There is so much angst when the offense is out of sync. So much cynicism and amateurism lurking just below the surface. So many fans yelling "Let's go, Josh!" or "Come on, Josh!" right before the snap like absolute rookies. 

I guess my point is that the Bills need to rediscover some joy. Despite some real success, there has been a lot of stress and strain and trauma the last few seasons. We really need to see the boys play for each other and do so with some youthful effing joy. Maybe there is some favorable addition by subtraction math on this particular point. Maybe we'll get to see the QB free to read the field purely. No personalities involved (unless they're positive/constructive). 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 11:45 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Did we really get close, though?

Made it to the CG 1 time, got the doors blown off. Choked in one divisional round game, Smoked in another, just vomited all over ourselves a third.

Yeah, divisional rounds where you're literally a play or 2 from the conference game is close. If McDermott isn't a bonehead in the 13 seconds game then we are one game away from the Superbowl. This past year, we lose by 3 points, if we make a couple more plays, same thing, we would be one game away again. I know you don't want to admit that. But we were close

Posted (edited)

The Bills are reloading the roster. I'd be amazed if Pegula did something so incredibly dumb. They said all this same nonsense about Andy Reid in Philadelphia. I'm sure TP knew the plan and supported it. Do you really think he'd go back on his word? No good HC or GM would ever want to work for him again.

Besides, the REAL reason we didn't win the SB this year was injuries. McDermott deserves praise for what he was able to do. Give him a healthy D without losing his best pass rusher (Von), run stuffer (Jones), CB (White) and LB (Milano). Let KC deal with that extreme level of injuries and then let's see who the better team is.

Edited by GreggTX

This notion that McDermott can’t be fired is ridiculous. Nick Sirianni went to a Super Bowl and has a better win percentage than McDermott and is in the hot seat. I don’t think McDermott will be fired cause to Pegula this is more of a business to him than winning. Some owners it’s all about winning.

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Hopefully!  :)  

Be that as it may, just be prepared for more "making of the playoffs," which most coaches could do with Allen in our crap division, and divisional round losses.  All fine and good for anyone that's happy with that.  

Also, why don't we see how this season goes first.  

I'm all about seeing how this season goes, and once again I'm all about winning the SB; but a pesky little nuance - you have to make the playoffs first!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bills Bud said:

This notion that McDermott can’t be fired is ridiculous. Nick Sirianni went to a Super Bowl and has a better win percentage than McDermott and is in the hot seat. I don’t think McDermott will be fired cause to Pegula this is more of a business to him than winning. Some owners it’s all about winning.

McDermott and Beane won't be fired because they have turned the Bills into a winning organization despite not winning a Super Bowl. But to say Terry doesn't care about winning isn't true. Look at the Sabres as proof of that. Terry is not afraid to fire people. Look at the GM's and HC's he has replaced with the Sabres. Just this year Granato out and Ruff back. 

On 4/30/2024 at 7:45 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

The coach is far less responsible for 11 wins every year than the future HOF qb is.  But because of Josh, Sean's job security is as safe as ever. 

I 100% agree, I just don't think Pegula will make a move until the Bills have losing seasons.

But, Yes Josh Allen is the reason the Bills are relevant, anyone who denies that is lying to themselves.

On 5/1/2024 at 5:38 PM, stuvian said:

Remember during the Kelly years when Rich Stadium wouldn't sell out and local TV was blacked out?

I don't think that will happen again, but used to back then (stadium was 80k+ as well)

Fans get used to success and want more.

Think a lot are getting anxious about the plan to get us past the Chiefs and the divisional round. Mahomes and Burrow aren't going away anytime soon and either we learn to hit them in the mouth or we out score them.  Right now, I can't tell what the plan is.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane has done enough to warrant staying aboard, but I can't say the same thing about McDermott. Sometimes you have to admit and realize that a coach just doesn't have that one trait that puts your team over the top. We had so many good players, yet it wasn't enough. Why? Still find it baffling that he had to be coach and d coordinator. How many other teams have/had that? Injuries happen to every team. Hopefully this is the start of the Great Reset and not the slow descent of a generational talented QB. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

It would be nice if there was one pinned thread to put all the McD must go threads.  Nothing new in any of them

You don't have to read them, you realize this, right?  

• Eyeroll 1