Coleman Route Speeds

2 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

This is a self-defeating argument my man.  Guys that slow down to catch the ball are not as fast as their 40 time where the ain't gotta catch no nothing.  Poster was not being a grumpy old man.  As a grumpy old man I take some offense to that!

I think the point of the drill is not to show how fast you are, but to show how fluidly a prospect can catch multiple passes while on the move. It's not accurate to then use it to gauge relative game speed. What's a better metric is actual GPS game speed data.  Found this, I'm sure there's more online.

2024 WRs

PlayerTop Speed

Xavier Worthy22.7

Troy Franklin22.3

Xavier Legette22.3

Marvin Harrison Jr.22.2

Brenden Rice22.1

Javon Baker21.7

Anthony Gould21.6

Ladd McConkey21.4

Brian Thomas Jr.21.4

Jalen McMillan21.3

Tahj Washington21.1

Jamari Thrash21

Jalen Coker20.9

Ja'Lynn Polk20.2

Keon Coleman19.6

Oldman (formerly indybillsfan) called me thickheaded. he seems a little grumpy 

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

That's how fast he ran at the combine when everyone else was jogging. He ran himself right out of bounds on that gauntlet drill that everyone keeps linking to. He did it wrong. The whole point is that you are supposed to stay in bounds and tip-toe down the sidelines to show your balance and awareness. He ran 5 yards out of bounds before he figured out where he was on the field

Its hard to ever take anything you say seriously as you literally hate or find the negative in everything...always...no matter what...in all occasions...in season or off season...that the Bills do or say.  The last time you said something positive about anything related to the Buffalo Bills, the only thing OJ had murdered were his lines in movies.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

In another thread a poster asked where I found the following.  I post it here in case anyone finds it interesting:

I'm increasingly feeling better about the pick. How will it all work? I had no idea. But I see pieces 

3 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

So Coleman didn't just run the fastest gauntlet time this year, he ran the fastest in the last TWO years.  The fastest last year - who also had a slow 40 -- was Puka Nakua and Coleman was faster than him.  At least Puka didn't jog, and he is not too bad.

I would love it if Coleman put up a Nakua type rookie year.

That's how fast he ran at the combine when everyone else was jogging. He ran himself right out of bounds on that gauntlet drill that everyone keeps linking to. He did it wrong. The whole point is that you are supposed to stay in bounds and tip-toe down the sidelines to show your balance and awareness. He ran 5 yards out of bounds before he figured out where he was on the field

I saw that too and wasn’t going to mention anything. Yes I do him him a lot of credit for being straight down the yard line, but when it came to turning upfield along the sideline, and keeping himself in the field of play, he was terrible. Hopefully it was a miscommunication on where he thought he was supposed to turn up field. Idk. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Yet another thread defending and justifying Coleman’s 40 time. That alone acknowledges that he is slow compared to other receivers. What people don’t get is it doesn’t matter how slow he is if he can juke the defender into running the wrong way. He also has strong hands for contested catches if the defender closes in. So embrace his speed (or lack there of). Can’t wait to see him play in this offense. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, mrags said:

I saw that too and wasn’t going to mention anything. Yes I do him him a lot of credit for being straight down the yard line, but when it came to turning upfield along the sideline, and keeping himself in the field of play, he was terrible. Hopefully it was a miscommunication on where he thought he was supposed to turn up field. Idk. 

As an optimistic poster mentioned, perhaps it shows how hard working he is to sprint when everyone else was jogging. But on the other hand he didn't follow the directions or couldn't stop himself from running out of bounds. Either way, I'm not sure why people keep passing around this article as if it shows how fast he is when that wasn't the point at all of the drill.

• Eyeroll 1

22 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Didn’t Coleman run a 4.51 at his pro day? He’s clearly playing at least a bit faster than his 4.61 40 time.

I don't believe he ran the 40 again at his pro day.

24 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Didn’t Coleman run a 4.51 at his pro day? He’s clearly playing at least a bit faster than his 4.61 40 time.

Yes he did, and as Beane literally said in the past and again this year, anyone can have an off moment in any one drill at the combine, and if they do, he isn't going to kill him for it.  It won't change the tape, it won't over ride all the other drills, etc.  And then he did also significantly improve the 40 time at his pro day like you said to a 4.51 which is faster than a lot of the best WR's in the NFL now and the past 10 years.  

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I don't believe he ran the 40 again at his pro day.

He did and it was a 4.51

36 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

I think the point of the drill is not to show how fast you are, but to show how fluidly a prospect can catch multiple passes while on the move. It's not accurate to then use it to gauge relative game speed. What's a better metric is actual GPS game speed data.  Found this, I'm sure there's more online.

2024 WRs

PlayerTop Speed

Xavier Worthy22.7

Troy Franklin22.3

Xavier Legette22.3

Marvin Harrison Jr.22.2

Brenden Rice22.1

Javon Baker21.7

Anthony Gould21.6

Ladd McConkey21.4

Brian Thomas Jr.21.4

Jalen McMillan21.3

Tahj Washington21.1

Jamari Thrash21

Jalen Coker20.9

Ja'Lynn Polk20.2

Keon Coleman19.6

Oldman (formerly indybillsfan) called me thickheaded. he seems a little grumpy 

Get in to your thick heads people, he's not fast.  He will not be running go routes or taking the tops off of defenses. So we will be faced with the same issue as last year, whereDefenses collapse on the short stuff.  But he could/shouldexcel underneath. He might end up more like Anquan Bolden - thriving underneath and breaking tackles to get 1st downs. 

A quote from your post which I was responding to.  I thought I’d use phrasing you were familiar with.

2 hours ago, MPL said:

Keon Coleman is a short-burst kind of guy. Fast-twitch. Basketball hops. He is explosive. I think he does possess the ability to get open in the 10-20 yard range. However, on longer developing routes and go routes, defensive backs are going to be able to recover and close ground on him. I get the impression that Florida State didn't really use him well. It seems like often-times, if the first-read wasn't open, the QB would just throw up a prayer in Coleman's direction.  

I think he's going to be a fun guy to root for. I hope Brady doesn't just try to line him up outside and run deep routes. 

Correct.  If him and Allen can get a feel for the back shoulder lights out imo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes he did, and as Beane literally said in the past and again this year, anyone can have an off moment in any one drill at the combine, and if they do, he isn't going to kill him for it.  It won't change the tape, it won't over ride all the other drills, etc.  And then he did also significantly improve the 40 time at his pro day like you said to a 4.51 which is faster than a lot of the best WR's in the NFL now and the past 10 years.  

He did and it was a 4.51

Link? From what I saw reported he just did positional drills at his pro day

Not trying to be difficult just responding to the post. These combine links keep getting posted as evidence that he's not slow. I think we need to compare in game speeds and not drills. But all you have to do is watch his film to see that he has defenders on him every play. Maybe the ACC has amazing db's and he will have better luck in the NFL but I highly doubt that

All you need to know about MHJ is his jacket size for Canton

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

So what you're saying is we should have drafted Mitchell, Worthy, or Leggette.

If Bills are planning to send players to Olympics this summer or this is the only stat they care, yes.

• Like (+1) 1