If you’re upset about the WR room - BLAME DIGGS

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

For the record, I’m not upset about the WR room.  

The vision Beane had for this offense in 2024 simplified:

Diggs

Coleman

Shakir 

Samuel 

Then add all our draft picks except the Duke DT and you’d have our team.  Pretty dang good.  

But this organization was thrown into mini turmoil bc of Stefon Diggs.  Period.  If your take is “Beane has neglected WR and this is what happens” you’re just wrong.  

Diggs was supposed to give us 2024 and 2025.  

He quit (as we know now) at the end of 2022 and throughout 2023.   

I refuse to trash Beane over the WR room that was supposed to include Stefon in the plan until he tapped out and quit.   

Quite frankly, I’m sick of the fan base rushing to defend Diggs over the GM that oversaw the construction of this perennial SB contenders roster.  

It’s embarrassing. 

I’ll be rooting for Coleman and Shakir harder than I’ve rooted for 2 Bills WRs.  And if we need more ammo I trust Beane, whose cap is all screwed up this year bc of Stefon, will find more ammo.     

Go Bills!

This is the best post I have seen in a long time.  If Beane made mistakes here, it was betting on Diggs thriving into his 30s, and I am not even sure that was a mistake.  It was not failing to draft more receivers yesterday.  The draft is a crapshoot for the best in the NFL.  We necessarily know even less.  For example, I was distraught because Terrell Bernard was too light.  And I was distraught because Keon Coleman is "slow" - until I read that he was top 4 in the draft in GPS-clocked game speed for EVERY route form, and second fastest in the draft on "GO" routes.  That means faster than Odunze, faster than Brian Thomas.  Breathe.  We are in a golden era of Bills fandom.  We will get there.  Before I die.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Diggs

Coleman

Shakir 

Samuel 

Then add all our draft picks except the Duke DT and you’d have our team.  Pretty dang good.  

But this organization was thrown into mini turmoil bc of Stefon Diggs.  Period.  If your take is “Beane has neglected WR and this is what happens” you’re just wrong.  

I refuse to trash Beane over the WR room that was supposed to include Stefon in the plan until he tapped out and quit.   

Quite frankly, I’m sick of the fan base rushing to defend Diggs over the GM that oversaw the construction of this perennial SB contenders roster.  

It’s embarrassing. 

I’ll be rooting for Coleman and Shakir harder than I’ve rooted for 2 Bills WRs.  And if we need more ammo I trust Beane, whose cap is all screwed up this year bc of Stefon, will find more ammo.     

Go Bills!

In addition - this post is the opposite side of the same coin I have been posting in other threads.  Whether it is because he quit on us (as the poster believes) or because his talent degraded, Diggs gave us diddly-squat over the back 2/3rds of last year.  Gabe gave us next to nothing.  It is extremely likely that Samuel and Coleman give us more than Diggs and Davis did over the back-half of last year.  IMHO, the only reason to not believe our WR room will be better this year is a romanticized memory of what Diggs once meant to this team.  That ship had sailed by November 2023.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

No it wasn’t they have too many holes to fill but they will still compete. Who says they don’t get a true #1 next year either through the draft or free agency. They had to move on this year. 

Correct.  But don't assume Coleman is not going to be a "true #!1" - the one undeniable fact is that no one knows whether he will or won't be.  I do know this - when the pre-draft process started, Coleman was considered just behind "the big three."  He fell like a rock in pundits eyes because he ran a slow 40-time.  But Beane was interviewed two months ago -- he is on the record at a time he was not defending a pick.  He said he didn't care much about 40 times.  That they are somewhat artificial because the kids prep for the dash for months and it is a non-football move.  While the 40-time is relevant, the article suggests, it is mostly for fans and media consumption.  It seems Beane and an increasing number of professional talent evaluators prefer in-game GPS-measured route speed (the article is titled something like "is the 40 yard dash archaic" (or obsolete) -- something like that, you can Google it.  According to GPS-measured route speed,  Coleman's speed is elite.  Speed and further route refinements for greater separation are the only concerns on Coleman.  I think route refinement is what Beane is referring to when he calls him an "ascending player".   That is a legitimate concern, but there are no perfect prospects (they say Harrison does not get enough YAC), and no one can say Coleman won't be a true number 1.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

Kincaid is a TE.

Why would we draft a WR high when Diggs was 29 and Gabe Davis had one foot out the door? Is that a serious question?

Why did the Cowboys draft an LT in the first when they had Tyron Smith?

You missed your calling, NFL Front offices across the country would love to get you on board! You're a game changer!

Just now, amprov56 said:

You missed your calling, NFL Front offices across the country would love to get you on board! You're a game changer!

I know. Their loss. I’m not making 25k a year as an amateur scout. 

13 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Diggs

Coleman

Shakir 

Samuel 

It’s embarrassing. 

Go Bills!

although Diggs's quitting on the Bills was predictable, he's not the reason the Bill's roster going into this draft had one Beane WR (career under 700 yards) to show for his career as GM....

Beane is the one who gave the emotionally labile Diggs that contract.  So Beane "screwed the cap" on that one.

Beane has abused the WR position in the draft for years.  keep drafting deep depth on D!!!!!--works on the Dolphins, comes up short v the Chiefs...

I think it’s fair to question Beane giving Diggs the contract extension but could you imagine if he didn’t give Diggs one? People complaining about Beane, would you also be blaming Beane if Josh Allen forced his way out a month before the draft and the Bills didn’t double dip with a QB in round 4? 

14 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Beane relied on Diggs and ignored the signs there was a problem there (kind of like he did w/ Gabe Davis). Beane chose to trade Diggs. Beane was in charge of the plan to replace him & Beane made the draft picks we made & passed on the WR we chose not to draft. Kind of hard to say Beane bears no responsibility with a straight face.

This 👆🏾

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

How about I blame the GM/coach. That is the only in the league to not draft a wr in the 1st 3 rounds in 5 years?  They will go down in history and discussed decades later as "Mcdefense" and a failure for having the most talented qb buffalo has ever had and never even sniffed a SB

Giving up a 1st round pick for Diggs doesn’t count ?  Or drafting Kincaid in the 1st rd last year and Colman this year?  That’s 3 1st round picks 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I've never seen anyone exaggerate about a player more than Diggs. The guy never said a peep in public that degraded the Bills, and by all accounts he was BFFs with the QB.

There's absolutely ZERO evidence to suggest he was a cancer in the locker room.

He was traded.  We took on 26 million in dead cap.  He was a no show last June.  I defended him believing there were issues with Dorsey/offense.  We fired Dorsey.  

He was still traded.  

We've all been alive long enough to see Michael Irvin, Terrell Owens, Keyshawn Johnson, Chad Johnson, Antonio Brown and tons of other WRs forgotten to time who were all selfish, rude a-holes who threw their teammates and organizations under the bus repeatedly. The most Diggs ever dig was leave cryptic 1 lines on twitter that never made any sense or meant anything just to screw with people. Big deal.

Which ones were dealt by their teams and which stayed and won a SB?

If he had a beef with anybody within the Bills organization, no one here has any knowledge of it.

He was traded.  We took on a 26 million dollar dead cap hit.  

Would you like more evidence he was a massive problem?  

You want to blame the Organization and McD go ahead.  This is now twice Diggs did this.   

Edited by Big Blitz

I still think there's more to the Diggs story than we were told. I just don't buy that Diggs just decided to be a diva and ask to be traded. Him and Josh were bff's up until last summer. Something happened between them that caused a riff, whether it was football related or something off field. I don't think Diggs out right quit on the team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

None of us really know what went on.  But I think it’s a fair assumption that Diggs doesn’t get traded unless Josh was on board.

Maybe, Maybe not, either way Diggs quit on the Bills when the going got tougher than Diggs psyche could handle, talk about being fragile…, 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

He was traded.  We took on 26 million in dead cap.  He was a no show last June.  I defended him believing there were issues with Dorsey/offense.  We fired Dorsey.  

He was still traded.  

Which ones were dealt by their teams and which stayed and won a SB?

He was traded.  We took on a 26 million dollar dead cap hit.  

Would you like more evidence he was a massive problem?  

You want to blame the Organization and McD go ahead.  This is now twice Diggs did this.   

Yes. I would like any evidence because all you're doing here is proving me point. Your entire argument is , "well, it HAD to be something". Could have literally been anything. Maybe he and McDermott had a different favorite flavor of ice cream. You have nothing to substantiate your claim, just like thousands of other Bills fans, yet you've crafted a narrative for yourself that helps you make sense of it all.

There might be something to it. Maybe he kicked a pregnant lady and her pregnant dog, but you don't know. You'll probably never know. You just find it easier to blame a guy that isn't here anymore than the people still here who will almost certainly continue to underachieve without him.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Yes. I would like any evidence because all you're doing here is proving me point. Your entire argument is , "well, it HAD to be something". Could have literally been anything. Maybe he and McDermott had a different favorite flavor of ice cream. You have nothing to substantiate your claim, just like thousands of other Bills fans, yet you've crafted a narrative for yourself that helps you make sense of it all.

There might be something to it. Maybe he kicked a pregnant lady and her pregnant dog, but you don't know. You'll probably never know. You just find it easier to blame a guy that isn't here anymore than the people still here who will almost certainly continue to underachieve without him.

Ok but if there's nothing at all to it you're spending a decent amount of energy defending the honor of a guy who's worth on the open market a 2025 5th round pick and negative 3 million dollars