The "who I would've drafted instead" re-draft, 2024 edition. Are you smarter than the GM?

Logic

I'd like to start a new tradition here on Two Bills Drive. 

The premise is simple. I want everyone who's interested in testing their drafting acumen against Brandon Beane's to list who theywould have chosen at each spot, based on who was available in real life, compared to who the Bills actually chose.

I'll list where the Bills picked, who they picked in real life, and then who I would have picked. And I'd like each person who wants to participate to do the same. You can copy and paste the Bills picks and then post your own chosen player next to it (using the link below and picking only players who were available at that pick), unless you'd rather stick with who the Bills picked.

The only rule is that you have to pick where the Bills actually picked. You can't undo a trade-down they made, and you can't invent a new trade-down or trade-up. You have to stick with the real draft slots that the Bills picked from.

We can check back on this in future years and compare our own preferences to who Beane picked. A chance for each of us to put our money where our mouth is.

Here's the listing of everyone picked in the 2024 NFL draft and where, for easy reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_NFL_draft

I'll start:

Bills 2024 draft class:

Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

Pick 60: S Cole Bishop, Utah

Pick 95: DT DeWayne Carter, Duke

Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky

Pick 141: C/G Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia

Pick 160: LB Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington

Pick 168: DE Javon Solomon, Troy

Pick 204: T Tylan Grable, UCF

Pick 219: CB Daequan Hardy, Penn State

Pick 221: G Travis Clayton, International Player Pathway

Who I would've picked instead:

Pick 33: WR Ladd McConkey, Georgia

Pick 60: S Cole Bishop, Utah (same as Bills)

Pick 95: WR Troy Franklin, Oregon

Pick 128: CB TJ Tampa, Iowa State

Pick 141: C/G Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia (same as Bills)

Pick 160: RB Tyron Tracy Jr, Purdue

Pick 168: DE Javon Soloman, Troy (same as Bills)

Pick 204: OG Christian Mahogany, Boston College

Pick 219: WR Brendan Rice, USC

Pick 221: CB MJ Devonshire, Pitt

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm literally shocked that this game will involved every pre publication scouting rankings on who are the highest ranked guys instead of believing more in the 32 GM's who decided not to take these guys until incredibly later.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don’t have access to a tiny fraction of the data Beane does.  I run IVF labs.  It would be like having folks here tell me I’m wrong about what embryo to transfer when they haven’t even had high school biology.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don’t have access to a tiny fraction of the data Beane does.  I run IVF labs.  It would be like having folks here tell me I’m wrong about what embryo to transfer when they haven’t even had high school biology.

Yeah I mean..it's a game. It's supposed to be for fun. I was not seriously suggesting that anyone here would be a better GM than Brandon Beane. It's more of a "how would your draft class of choice stack up against the pros" kind of thing.

• Like (+1) 3

Pick 33: WR Adonai Mitchell

Pick 60: S Cole Bishop

Pick 95: WR Troy Franklin

Pick 141: C/G Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia (same as Bills)

Pick 160: OT Christian Jones

Pick 168: CB Quan'tez Stingers

Pick 204: DE Cedrick Johnson

Pick 219:  CB MJ Devonshire

Pick 221: WR Cornelius Johnson

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Irrational confidence >> training, data, and experience.

you should be able to undo a trade down, because that's some lame ass *****, especially letting KC go ahead. Might as well hold the door for them and bow

12 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Nope, I’m not smarter than our GM. I hold Beane in high regards. He’s probably our best GM all time outside of Bill Polian.

pathetic, he went to business school have some confidence

• Vomit 1

Easy to make picks when you know who’s going to be available later in the draft. For instance: it’s easy to switch to Ladd at 33 when you know Franklin is going to be available in rd 4. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, section122 said:

Isnt this a bit of an unfair exercise where we know who will still be available so we can play around with combinations?

Think it is unfair now?  Three years from now there will be 16,294 posts about som 5th rounder that turned out great.

12 hours ago, Logic said:

Really like your draft.  I'll give it a stab.

Pick 141: C/G Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia

Pick 160:  EDGE Mohammed Kamara

Pick 168:  DT Mekhi Wingo

Pick 204: LB Nathaniel Watson

Pick 219 CB Daequan Hardy

Pick 221: OG C.J. Hanson

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

you should be able to undo a trade down, because that's some lame ass *****, especially letting KC go ahead. Might as well hold the door for them and bow

pathetic, he went to business school have some confidence

If that’s the case he may need to go back, after some of these ridiculous signings the past few years.

12 hours ago, Logic said:

I'd like to start a new tradition here on Two Bills Drive. 

The premise is simple. I want everyone who's interested in testing their drafting acumen against Brandon Beane's to list who theywould have chosen at each spot, based on who was available in real life, compared to who the Bills actually chose.

I'll list where the Bills picked, who they picked in real life, and then who I would have picked. And I'd like each person who wants to participate to do the same. You can copy and paste the Bills picks and then post your own chosen player next to it (using the link below and picking only players who were available at that pick), unless you'd rather stick with who the Bills picked.

The only rule is that you have to pick where the Bills actually picked. You can't undo a trade-down they made, and you can't invent a new trade-down or trade-up. You have to stick with the real draft slots that the Bills picked from.

We can check back on this in future years and compare our own preferences to who Beane picked. A chance for each of us to put our money where our mouth is.

Here's the listing of everyone picked in the 2024 NFL draft and where, for easy reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_NFL_draft

I'll start:

Bills 2024 draft class:

Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

Pick 95: DT DeWayne Carter, Duke

Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky

Pick 141: C/G Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia

Pick 160: LB Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington

Pick 168: DE Javon Solomon, Troy

Pick 204: T Tylan Grable, UCF

Pick 219: CB Daequan Hardy, Penn State

Pick 221: G Travis Clayton, International Player Pathway

Can I go back in time and not trade away the pick for Legette?

• Like (+1) 1

People who watch YouTube highlight reels, read Mel Kiper, watch a college game on TV, read combine stats, have a fantasy team, etc.

are smarter than...

A GM supported by a College Scout Team who: dedicate their 24/7 to scouting, have met the player privately in person, maybe had a private tryout, went to college games in person, spoke with college coaches, actually fielded calls with other NFL GMs, etc.  And has detailed inside knowledge of his team needs that no outside has.

every time.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, boater said:

People who watch YouTube highlight reels, read Mel Kiper, watch a college game on TV, read combine stats, have a fantasy team, etc.

are smarter than...

A GM supported by a College Scout Team who: dedicate their 24/7 to scouting, have met the player privately in person, maybe had a private tryout, went to college games in person, spoke with college coaches, actually fielded calls with other NFL GMs, etc.  And has detailed inside knowledge of his team needs that no outside has.

every time.

exactly. That’s why Boogie Basham is gonna be an All-Pro, because there’s no way some folks on here could be right about him being a complete and total bum, while Beane thinks he’s worth a second rounder. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

exactly. That’s why Boogie Basham is gonna be an All-Pro, because there’s no way some folks on here could be right about him being a complete and total bum, while Beane thinks he’s worth a second rounder. 

We double dipped on DE in a weak draft but didn't grab two WR's in a loaded draft.  Pretty head scratching.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Wasn't Boogie drafted off the COVID off season? You know, the one that GMs couldn't go to Pro Days, do as much deep digging as usual? Couldn't get in person with the draftees? 

You know, the season that NFL GMs were pretty much relegated to having only slightly more information available to them than fans normally do? And they missed on that pick? Shocker.

• Thank you (+1) 2