UDFA signing thread. 10 Signed 5 camp invites as of 07:39, 28 April

MAJBobby

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

His highlights certainly were impressive.

His athletic testing was not 😬 Good vision can overcome a lot of that though!

8 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Yes thanks!! It took a while to load on my phone and didn’t wait long enough - appreciate it!!

I think gore, bills (guard) and the punter all have a chance. Gore could stick with an injury or could be Ps at least and bills nd the punter can make the team outright. I had 6th/ 7th round picks on all of them

Have you been able to find anything on the punter? I can’t find a single scouting report 

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

His athletic testing was not 😬 Good vision can overcome a lot of that though!

Had great vision and broke tackles, I think it will be interesting to see him play, should get lots of looks in pre season.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Yes thanks!! It took a while to load on my phone and didn’t wait long enough - appreciate it!!

I think gore, bills (guard) and the punter all have a chance. Gore could stick with an injury or could be Ps at least and bills nd the punter can make the team outright. I had 6th/ 7th round picks on all of them

If Gore can show he is close to Ty Johnson he makes the team. The difference between Ty and Gore is 350K in cap. That is going to be important at the end of summer when getting under cap.  That is key for a RB3. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

22 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep and Keaton Bills is probably the best signing so far. A freaking mauler in Run game and improved Pass Pro. Very Wyatt Teller like. 

So you’re saying we’ll trade him for yet another fifth round pick?

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

His highlights certainly were impressive.

Everybody’s highlight reel is impressive.  That’s the point. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

So you’re saying we’ll trade him for yet another fifth round pick?

Everybody’s highlight reel is impressive.  That’s the point. 

No *****, It’s the abilities he consistently showed of breaking tackles and the vision he displayed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2024 at 7:47 PM, JGMcD2 said:

These UDFA OL seem to be pretty competitive options?

It feels like we’re fairly deep on the OL as it stands, drafted 3 more, interesting these guys would come here? 

Oh, wow, I disagree - After cutting Morse and moving McGovern to center and backup David Edwards to G, I thought we were thin on IOL

And then of course there was Ryan Van Demark as the swing tackle

The draftees were late rounders, so I guess the UDFA feel they can compete?

On 4/27/2024 at 9:00 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

How many UDFA have made the Bills in the last 5 years?

I think 11 or so

I assume you mean guys who came to the Bills as rookies and signed to the active roster here, not UDFA that developed elsewhere like Mario Williams or Kumerow

From 2019 to 2023:

Ryan Bates (he initially signed to Steelers but came here as a rook)

Reggie Gilliam

Quintin Morris

Ryan Van Demark

Antonio Williams

CJ Brewer

Tyrel Dodson

Prince Emili

Ja'Marcus Ingram

Kingsley Jonathan

Cam Lewis

Fundamentally looks like 2 per year or so

Mostly sign to practice squad and get elevated fora few games their 1st year

Edit: Dang, I missed Alec Anderson, who was on the 53 but never active in a game.

That means I probably missed a couple more

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/27/2024 at 10:11 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

Thanks for the list.  Maybe I should re-phrase.  How many have made the active roster?  It looks like Alec Anderson, Jonathan Kingsley and Ingram.  Q. Morris as well?

List I gave is only guys who signed to the 53 and were active 1 or more games

On 4/27/2024 at 9:52 PM, NORWOODS FOOT said:

I’m not sure Collins is a lock. Hoping some of these young-bloods beat him out actually 

We did give him guaranteed money, but it's not such a large amount we couldn't move on without flinching (by NFL standards) - $1.5M or so

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

We did give him guaranteed money, but it's not such a large amount we couldn't move on without flinching (by NFL standards) - $1.5M or so

Yeah, I think he's vulnerable, and I hope we find better, because I think he's running on fumes at this point.

On 4/28/2024 at 2:03 AM, billieve420 said:

Ok rooting for Keaton Bills to make the team based on his last name alone.

It'll make a mockery of the saying "you play for the name on the front of the jersey and not the name on the back". 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Oh, wow, I disagree - After cutting Morse and moving McGovern to center and backup David Edwards to G, I thought we were thin on IOL

Explaining in a little more detail where my mind was when I said that...

We carried 9 OL on the 53 last year:

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Morse, Mitch
  • Bates, Ryan
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

This year 7/9 OL are returning:

Locks (5)

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David

This is our presumed starting 5 OL. The only thing that could change is McGovern moving back to LG and Edwards moving back to a reserve role. 

High Probability to Make Roster (2)

• Van Demark, Ryan
  • Anderson, Alec

These guys are REALLY close to being locks in my opinion.

The Bills signed Alec Anderson as an UDFA, and he spent all of 2022 on the practice squad and the entire 2023 season on the 53. Van Demark was a Colts UDFA in 2022 but like Anderson spent 2022 on our practice squad and all of 2023 on our 53. 

The Bills have invested a lot of time/resources into developing both players and I think they clearly have a leg up on the competition. 

New Veterans (3)

• Collins, La'el
  • Clapp, Will
  • Doyle, Tommy*

Collins has some guarantees, but I don't think he's a guarantee to make the roster, although that likely gives him a leg up. I don't think Clapp has a chance to make the roster unless there is an injury at the C position. Tommy Doyle fits here because he's coming off injury, but made the roster in 2021 and 2022, likely would've made it in 2023 before a season ending injury - he's fighting an uphill battle.

Drafted Rookies (3)

• Van Pran-Granger, Sedrick
  • Grable, Tylan
  • Clayton, Travis

The way Beane spoke about Clayton after the draft, it seems like they've banking on him being the 17th guy on the Practice Squad. My gut tells me that Van Pran-Granger is nearly a lock for the reserve C role (I think this is possible with McGovern and Edwards being able to play G) and pundits seem to think he could end up starting for us this year. Grable is competing for a reserve T role with the likes of Collins, Doyle and Van Demark, if not he's likely another hopeful Practice Squad stash for Beane. 

After walking through it I feel pretty comfortable saying we can predict who 8/9 lineman will be on the 53.

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

That leaves Collins, Clapp, Doyle, Grable, Clayton, Edwards, Britton and Bills competing for 1 spot. 

Jordan Schultz suggested that Keaton Bills *SHOULD* make this team. I just think that it's going to be an uphill battle for any of the UDFA to break camp on the 53. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think 11 or so

I assume you mean guys who came to the Bills as rookies and signed to the active roster here, not UDFA that developed elsewhere like Mario Williams or Kumerow

From 2019 to 2023:

Ryan Bates (he initially signed to Steelers but came here as a rook)

Reggie Gilliam

Quintin Morris

Ryan Van Demark

Antonio Williams

CJ Brewer

Tyrel Dodson

Prince Emili

Ja'Marcus Ingram

Kingsley Jonathan

Cam Lewis

Fundamentally looks like 2 per year or so

Mostly sign to practice squad and get elevated fora few games their 1st year

Edit: Dang, I missed Alec Anderson, who was on the 53 but never active in a game.

That means I probably missed a couple more

Bates came over from the Eagles actually.

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Explaining in a little more detail where my mind was when I said that...

We carried 9 OL on the 53 last year:

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Morse, Mitch
  • Bates, Ryan
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

This year 7/9 OL are returning:

Locks (5)

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David

This is our presumed starting 5 OL. The only thing that could change is McGovern moving back to LG and Edwards moving back to a reserve role. 

High Probability to Make Roster (2)

• Van Demark, Ryan
  • Anderson, Alec

These guys are REALLY close to being locks in my opinion.

The Bills signed Alec Anderson as an UDFA, and he spent all of 2022 on the practice squad and the entire 2023 season on the 53. Van Demark was a Colts UDFA in 2022 but like Anderson spent 2022 on our practice squad and all of 2023 on our 53. 

The Bills have invested a lot of time/resources into developing both players and I think they clearly have a leg up on the competition. 

New Veterans (3)

• Collins, La'el
  • Clapp, Will
  • Doyle, Tommy*

Collins has some guarantees, but I don't think he's a guarantee to make the roster, although that likely gives him a leg up. I don't think Clapp has a chance to make the roster unless there is an injury at the C position. Tommy Doyle fits here because he's coming off injury, but made the roster in 2021 and 2022, likely would've made it in 2023 before a season ending injury - he's fighting an uphill battle.

Drafted Rookies (3)

• Grable, Tylan
  • Clayton, Travis

The way Beane spoke about Clayton after the draft, it seems like they've banking on him being the 17th guy on the Practice Squad. My gut tells me that Van Pran-Granger is nearly a lock for the reserve C role (I think this is possible with McGovern and Edwards being able to play G) and pundits seem to think he could end up starting for us this year. Grable is competing for a reserve T role with the likes of Collins, Doyle and Van Demark, if not he's likely another hopeful Practice Squad stash for Beane. 

After walking through it I feel pretty comfortable saying we can predict who 8/9 lineman will be on the 53.

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

That leaves Collins, Clapp, Doyle, Grable, Clayton, Edwards, Britton and Bills competing for 1 spot. 

Jordan Schultz suggested that Keaton Bills *SHOULD* make this team. I just think that it's going to be an uphill battle for any of the UDFA to break camp on the 53. 

Nice breakdown.  Note that the Bills can put Clayton on the PS and he won’t count against the limit because of the international player development program.

I am rooting for Keaton Bills to make this team.  It’s just serendipitous to think of a guy wearing “Bills” on the back of a Bills jersey.

• Like (+1) 1