Rd 5, Pick 168: Edge Javon Solomon, Troy

38 minutes ago, wppete said:

Im still mind blown that this guy with this type of talent fell to the 5th round, even if he is only 6’1. Pretty crazy.

Lotta pop in those hands, and great bend.  Love what I see so far.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I think this pick is a great fit. He can replace Groot on 3rd and long and just pin his ears back.

I’m not even sure why being short is a disadvantage for a pass rusher. I would think it would actually help the speed rush move and getting around the edge.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I think this pick is a great fit. He can replace Groot on 3rd and long and just pin his ears back.

I’m not even sure why being short is a disadvantage for a pass rusher. I would think it would actually help the speed rush move and getting around the edge.

Guys that “tall” don’t usually come with an 80 inch wingspan, I guess. He’s fun to watch, and has twitchy/bendy tools we have been lacking. I’m trying to remain calm and tell myself there are reasons he was available in the 5th round, but it’s hard not to be excited to see him in a Bills uniform. 

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

"Solomon's play style is built on spurts of speed, power and having a nose for the football."

Definitely this, big question if against the higher competition he'll still be able to get free like he has, but once he does the guy just finishes.

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

why would you take out Groot on 3rd and long? He's one of our few good pass rushers

14 minutes ago, nucci said:

why would you take out Groot on 3rd and long? He's one of our few good pass rushers

There’s only 2 spots on the line for a DE pass rusher. I guess it depends on if you prefer Groot, Epenesa, or the corpse of Von Miller (assuming we were subbing this guy in on obvious passing downs).

I think Epenesa is better at purely rushing the passer. Groot is a better all-around DE.

20 minutes ago, nucci said:

Yep, move him inside where he’s been effective on passing downs and put the other guys on the edge. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DapperCam said:

He's the same height as Dwight Freeney, who said his height was an advantage.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

There’s only 2 spots on the line for a DE pass rusher. I guess it depends on if you prefer Groot, Epenesa, or the corpse of Von Miller (assuming we were subbing this guy in on obvious passing downs).

I think Epenesa is better at purely rushing the passer. Groot is a better all-around DE.

ok but then move him around. he should be on the field on 3rd and long

1 hour ago, Doc said:

He's the same height as Dwight Freeney, who said his height was an advantage.

I think it’s largely accepted that he dropped due to height/weight and quality of competition. Otherwise he is athletic and had the best production of any DE last year. His weight is the same as Von Miller, but he is pretty short.

image.thumb.jpeg.43d1a7b5e163cae6778ea86590227f37.jpeg

I think it’s largely accepted that he dropped due to height/weight and quality of competition. Otherwise he is athletic and had the best production of any DE last year. His weight is the same as Von Miller, but he is pretty short.

RAS without full data is pointless. I hate it when they skip the agility drills.

3 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Yup.  Just pointing out that he's Freeney's height (and as you said, Miller's weight).

12 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Not replace Groot. Groot slides inside then.

10 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Epenesa, Groot, Solomon, and Miller on OBVIOUS passing downs LFG (sub out one of them for Oliver probably ofc)

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Yep, move him inside where he’s been effective on passing downs and put the other guys on the edge. 

Exactly. Groot can really succeed inside in a NASCAR package with Oliver beside him and 2 of Epenesa, Miller, and Solomon on the EDGE. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/3/2024 at 11:17 AM, DapperCam said:

Hassan Reddick is 6’1 235 and has had a great NFL career so far. I think Solomon is going g to surprise a lot of people 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

Hassan Reddick is 6’1 235 and has had a great NFL career so far. I think Solomon is going g to surprise a lot of people 

There are guys who have been successful that size.  Reddick like you mentioned.  Also Elvis Dummervill was short.  I like the gamble on his production.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2