Rd 4, Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky

22 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I thought 40 times weren’t relevant and that game speed is what mattered? His game speed looks slow to me still after rewatching that video. 

He had the 4th highest top in-game speed among all college rbs last season, 21.7 mph vs Florida.

For comparison, Coleman's top speed last season was 19.6 mph

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There were other backs available who combined both more speed and better size.  I assume Beane knew all about them and chose to draft Davis instead.  I figure they must have known what they were doing.

Pretty good receiver out of the backfield, both as an outlet and as a downfield option. Brady should be able to have fun scheming up some misdirection with the combination of him and Cook. Throw in the hybrid Curtis Samuel and they might even rediscover how to run a screen. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/27/2024 at 1:38 PM, finn said:

How so? He looks like just another guy in his highlights, more like a free agent or camp fodder than a fourth-round pick. Not fast, big, or elusive. Sort of a dulled-down Singletary. What are you (and the Bills) seeing that I'm not? 

He’s faster than DS and just all around better TBH. And to go along with a good physical skill set he also runs with excellent patience and vision. 

He should be a really good fit with Cook. He’s also sneaky good out of the back field as well which I haven’t seen mentioned here. 

He’s a RB so the 2nd contract is taken off the table. Knowing that why would anyone care he’s 24? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 4/27/2024 at 1:32 PM, Chandler#81 said:

A few random takeaways from that. First, the UK OLine did a great job of opening some holes. That’s not meant to take anything away from him because he looks really solid, but how many times is our RB 30 yards downfield and not yet touched.  I know, the Bills don’t play Akron, but it jumped out at me.

Also, they used him effectively in the passing game, and I appreciated that they made a point of showing him in pass protection. Too often it’s just the  spectacular plays in highlights, but the spectacular doesn’t happen if everyone else doesn’t do their part. 

• Like (+1) 3

Davis was another pick within the trend of guys who can step in and make a contribution this year. No projects. Even Coleman, who looks like a project, will be able to play meaningful snaps as a rookie. 

I don’t expect Davis will ever make a pro bowl or anything but he doesn’t need to. He just needs to run, catch, and pass pro competently so we can give our actual pro bowler a breather. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

I see a lot of fans are labelling him a short yardage back.....Davis hit the 4th highest in-game top speed among all college rbs last season, 21.7 mph vs Florida.

Okay , That is a WOW Stat. Thanks !

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

He had the 4th highest top in-game speed among all college rbs last season, 21.7 mph vs Florida.

For comparison, Coleman's top speed last season was 19.6 mph

There seems to be a trend appearing. I think the Bills might care more about how fast you play football  than what your 40 time is. Just a hunch, but there might be something to it.   

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HerdMentality said:

I'm taking the over.

Someone earlier mentioned he looked a little like Travis Henry out there. I can’t rule anything out. 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Fender said:

He’s faster than DS and just all around better TBH. And to go along with a good physical skill set he also runs with excellent patience and vision. 

He should be a really good fit with Cook. He’s also sneaky good out of the back field as well which I haven’t seen mentioned here. 

He’s a RB so the 2nd contract is taken off the table. Knowing that why would anyone care he’s 24? 

Yes, I mentioned elsewhere that my judgment was hasty. I'm persuaded now that he'll be a real asset to the team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

There seems to be a trend appearing. I think the Bills might care more about how fast you play football  than what your 40 time is. Just a hunch, but there might be something to it.   

Because they have that GPS data now, so they don't have to depend on 40 times and the eye test. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

A few random takeaways from that. First, the UK OLine did a great job of opening some holes. That’s not meant to take anything away from him because he looks really solid, but how many times is our RB 30 yards downfield and not yet touched.  I know, the Bills don’t play Akron, but it jumped out at me.

Also, they used him effectively in the passing game, and I appreciated that they made a point of showing him in pass protection. Too often it’s just the  spectacular plays in highlights, but the spectacular doesn’t happen if everyone else doesn’t do their part. 

Blocking is important for any running back, what I'd say is he had good vision and the speed to deliver on it, saw where there was space and went to it. It's not coincidence that our run game has improved as our blocking has.

53 minutes ago, finn said:

Yes, I mentioned elsewhere that my judgment was hasty. I'm persuaded now that he'll be a real asset to the team. 

I like this post.

Tend to get hasty and judgmental meself at times

This drafts first 3 picks were far away not my. especially after trading out.
Thought Beanes was going to crush it in round two .

Still skeptical.

But absolutely like this kids potential in Bills Offense. Compliments , i think i wrote somewhere , Cook.

Could be a very fine pick in Brady's offense

Spread it around Josh. get all 5 reads in before unloading 

lol

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

There were other backs available who combined both more speed and better size.  I assume Beane knew all about them and chose to draft Davis instead.  I figure they must have known what they were doing.

For sure.  Doesn’t look like he was trying to add a power back like many were thinking. Looks to me like we drafted James Cooks eventual replacement.  Can’t pay RBs big bucks!  

He’s a helluva receiver too.  Cook needs to start catching the ball in the end zone

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Watch James Cook highlights from last year.  OL was letting him get big gains before he had anyone touching him.  OL was not like the OL of years past last season.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Ray Davis was one of my favorite picks.  He’s gonna eat here, and I don’t know how anyone can watch even the first minute of the video posted and not think he’s fast.  

And we don’t have stupid Dorsey anymore afraid to play the talent.  I think Davis and Cook are going to make a dynamic 1-2 punch as the run game continues to be a big part of the offense under Brady.  

I said it before the draft…I said it during the draft…and I’ve said it after the draft.  This offense not only will be a top unit again, it has the potential to be the best one of Allen’s career.  I will have a more detailed write up of this tomorrow too.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2