For those that don’t like the Coleman pick

whorlnut

4 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Played 75% of snaps in the slot. Currently where most of our pass catchers operate.  We still have no true X or even a #1 receiver. 

Okay, that’s different than saying “we have no elite speed.” 

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Shame on Allen for wanting a big target who makes big catches when he needs someone like that in the big moments that Diggs never did.  

Yeah just ***** silly 

5 hours ago, whorlnut said:

For those of you that aren’t thrilled about the Keon Coleman pick…remember one thing.  Word came out that he was the last receiver left on Allen’s wish list. Thats a big deal. Why would Beane not want to consult the face of his franchise when trying to get him more weapons?

This tells me that Allen’s wish list included Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Coleman, and probably Thomas. Think of it this way…if worthy, pearsall, or legette were on that list, they would have taken them at 28, or at most 32 for legette. I’m sure Beane would have liked to have traded down another time, but he could have risked losing Coleman.

I wasn’t overly thrilled with Coleman being the guy, but while he might lack separation on tape, and a good 40 time, he also had amazing splits in the 40 and other drills. The drills are where the football comes out in these guys…you know, catching the ball. Haha. Anyways…when you look at the bigger picture with Coleman, it’s not a bad pick at all. The guy is really athletic, has great hands and body control…and most of all…Allen wanted him.  

Give the kid a chance. There’s a reason he went #33 and Franklin didn’t go till RD4.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s probably true and an interesting thought. The drops were tough last year.

I don't think it's just Allen.  

Beane is on record saying that the last game you play in a season can really show where your gaps are.  In the last game of the season, Diggs fumbled, then missed a catchable deep ball that could have turned the tide of the game.  Sherfield also missed a deep ball.

Independent of whatever Allen thought, I'm pretty sure a "hands" guy who would come back and go up for the ball and had good ball-tracking skills had to be high on Beane's list and the offensive staff list.

If Sherfield makes that catch on the post, and if Diggs hauls in that ball that went right through his hands, the outcome of the KC game could very well have differed.

12 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Give the kid a chance. There’s a reason he went #33 and Franklin didn’t go till RD4.

This take is far too rational for this board at this time.  Stop Making Sense!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Overall, I like our draft. Beane had three jobs: 1. resist the temptation to trade up for a receiver; 2. meticulously fill out our roster so that we actually have enough depth to compete in our rebuild year; 3. find a receiver with one of the picks we do have. He succeeded imo. 

I do think there's a reasonably high probability Keon busts with us and makes it on his next team, or we rearrange the wr group so we can make Coleman a big slot. It's just super hard to understand what we were thinking after the Samuel signing. 

Anyway, I'm over it. We can find a stud receiver next year. We filled a tremendous amount of holes and can actually field a team now. I know a lot of fans seemed to think we'd just find guys off the street or something (after trading away all our best capital to move up in rd 1), but I was pretty nervous going back to end of last season. Beane has pulled a rabbit out of his hat with this roster. 

Edited by VW82

6 hours ago, balln said:

Allen has been on record and even piecing together his off seasons. He takes 1-2 months off completely. No working out. Goes plays golf. Travels w his lady friend

he says he doesn’t participate in draft process, no interviews, no game tape

he said he watches the YouTube highlight vids. 

I DO not want in anyway Allen to make picks directly. I think this is all funny interview filler. 

Don't worry, Josh Allen had as much to do with this pick as I did.

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Hopefully it works out,  but its a little concerning if the QB is making the skill position picks.  

He's not, don't worry yourself.  He might be giving input, but it's just that - input.  Allen said himself "I'd like to think I have input, but really, I don't."

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He's not, don't worry yourself.  He might be giving input, but it's just that - input.  Allen said himself "I'd like to think I have input, but really, I don't."

Thank you. People who are running with this Allen as a high level decision maker thing are overstating the case.

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It doesn't matter until we see him play and how they will use him. Everything else is speculation that in all honesty is meaningless.

I don't understand this "Coleman is a big slot" thing at all.

1) I read he played the majority of his offensive snaps at the X in Florida

2) we are already overloaded with guys at WR who are at their best from the slot, why ever would Beane draft a WR with our top pick if he thought he was a slot?

3) Beane has unambiguously said, Coleman will be playing the X in the Bills offense

My guess is that the Bills feel that he has the physical tools to refine his route running, because of his basketball background, and that is something they can "coach up" more easily than coaching up reliable hands or the timing to high-point balls.

One thing I'm about as positive as I can be is Beane is correct, he plays faster than his combine speed.  I could see it in the gauntlet drill at the combine; somewhere it was posted he reached 21 mph by GPS.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Well, he's a Bill and one of us now and I will cheer him on. That said he's not a X and now one of many Bill pass catchers working the middle of the field. Still nobody for DCs to fear deep. No elite speed anywhere on this offense. I guess we're doing slow explosive plays.

Brandon Beane is on record disagreeing with you.  He says the Bills will use Coleman as an X, starting, like, now.

We do have speed on the team.  Curtis Samuel ran a 4.3 40 yd dash and is a solid WR.

Andy Isabella ran a 4.31 40 yd dash, was drafted in the 2nd round, and has failed to make good as a WR on an NFL team to date.

For perspective, Tyreek Hill ran a 4.29 to 4.35 40-time at his pro-day

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Brandon Beane is on record disagreeing with you.  He says the Bills will use Coleman as an X, starting, like, now.

We do have speed on the team.  Curtis Samuel ran a 4.3 40 yd dash and is a solid WR.

Andy Isabella ran a 4.31 40 yd dash, was drafted in the 2nd round, and has failed to make good as a WR on an NFL team to date.

For perspective, Tyreek Hill ran a 4.29 to 4.35 40-time at his pro-day

Everyone gets we're going to try Coleman at X. The problem people are having is his college profile (bad man or press, decent zone) often doesn't translate to X in the pros. Where you have seen it translate is by moving guys like that into the slot. e.g. St. Brown, JuJu, Rice, Boyd, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Great hands and work ethic. Good athleticism. Needs work on route running. Age 20. To me it comes down to coaching up his routes and at his age with his athleticism I think he has to some improvement. It seems inevitable.

5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Everyone gets we're going to try Coleman at X. The problem people are having is his college profile (bad man or press, decent zone) often doesn't translate to X in the pros. Where you have seen it translate is by moving guys like that into the slot. e.g. St. Brown, JuJu, Rice, Boyd, etc.

Agreed. This is why I wanted the Bills to get Javon Baker, so that if Coleman DOES wind up flaming out there and becoming more of a big slot, they have a backup plan.

Oh well.

3 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Great hands and work ethic. Good athleticism. Needs work on route running. Age 20. To me it comes down to coaching up his routes and at his age with his athleticism I think he has to some improvement. It seems inevitable.

Great hands?.... you do realize he had a 55% catch rate during his college career.  That doesn't exactly scream good hands?

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed. This is why I wanted the Bills to get Javon Baker, so that if Coleman DOES wind up flaming out there and becoming more of a big slot, they have a backup plan.

Oh well.

We're going to have to sign someone or make a trade. It's a rebuild year anyway though I'm happy we can at least field a decent team now with some of the other selections. 

Our big outside wr splash is going to have to be next year's draft where we have some ammo. I'm also not giving up that we realize Keon needs slot snaps and move him there eventually. It could still work. 

Edited by VW82

17 minutes ago, VW82 said:

So for whatever it's worth, Beane and his scouts don't agree with his college profile.  Beane said he's great against press and has good moves

Now he may be wrong, but that's his evaluation.

FWIW, some guys with good eyes like Dan Orlovsky and Chris Simms are enthused

PS FWIW this is what Stefon Diggs draft profile said:

"Doesn't possess the strength or long speed to make a living as an outside receiver, but he can be an extremely effective weapon from the slot as a pro".   That would be news to the Vikes and the Bills.

Edited by Beck Water

6 hours ago, whorlnut said:

For those of you that aren’t thrilled about the Keon Coleman pick…remember one thing.  Word came out that he was the last receiver left on Allen’s wish list. Thats a big deal. Why would Beane not want to consult the face of his franchise when trying to get him more weapons?

This tells me that Allen’s wish list included Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Coleman, and probably Thomas. Think of it this way…if worthy, pearsall, or legette were on that list, they would have taken them at 28, or at most 32 for legette. I’m sure Beane would have liked to have traded down another time, but he could have risked losing Coleman.

I wasn’t overly thrilled with Coleman being the guy, but while he might lack separation on tape, and a good 40 time, he also had amazing splits in the 40 and other drills. The drills are where the football comes out in these guys…you know, catching the ball. Haha. Anyways…when you look at the bigger picture with Coleman, it’s not a bad pick at all. The guy is really athletic, has great hands and body control…and most of all…Allen wanted him.  

Idgaf what player the quarterback likes in the draft. It's not his job to understand draft prospects. Given he doesn't watch his own tape, I don't imagine he's spending hundreds of hours breaking down WR prospects.

This video sums up the likelihood of Coleman being successful as a true x in the NFL. Data says he has a better chance of success out of the slot (and could potentially be great out of the slot).

57 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

How many quarterbacks were drafted ahead of Tom Brady?

Chad Pennington.

Giovanni Carmazzi.

Chris Redman.

Tee Martin.

Marc Bulger.

Spergon Wynn.

it can work both ways though 😂