For those that don’t like the Coleman pick

whorlnut

For those of you that aren’t thrilled about the Keon Coleman pick…remember one thing.  Word came out that he was the last receiver left on Allen’s wish list. Thats a big deal. Why would Beane not want to consult the face of his franchise when trying to get him more weapons?

This tells me that Allen’s wish list included Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Coleman, and probably Thomas. Think of it this way…if worthy, pearsall, or legette were on that list, they would have taken them at 28, or at most 32 for legette. I’m sure Beane would have liked to have traded down another time, but he could have risked losing Coleman.

I wasn’t overly thrilled with Coleman being the guy, but while he might lack separation on tape, and a good 40 time, he also had amazing splits in the 40 and other drills. The drills are where the football comes out in these guys…you know, catching the ball. Haha. Anyways…when you look at the bigger picture with Coleman, it’s not a bad pick at all. The guy is really athletic, has great hands and body control…and most of all…Allen wanted him.  

• Like (+1) 13
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, whorlnut said:

For those of you that aren’t thrilled about the Keon Coleman pick…remember one thing.  Word came out that he was the last receiver left on Allen’s wish list. Thats a big deal. Why would Beane not want to consult the face of his franchise when trying to get him more weapons?

This tells me that Allen’s wish list included Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Coleman, and probably Thomas. Think of it this way…if worthy, pearsall, or legette were on that list, they would have taken them at 28, or at most 32 for legette. I’m sure Beane would have liked to have traded down another time, but he could have risked losing Coleman.

I wasn’t overly thrilled with Coleman being the guy, but while he might lack separation on tape, and a good 40 time, he also had amazing splits in the 40 and other drills. The drills are where the football comes out in these guys…you know, catching the ball. Haha. Anyways…when you look at the bigger picture with Coleman, it’s not a bad pick at all. The guy is really athletic, has great hands and body control…and most of all…Allen wanted him.  

Allen has been on record and even piecing together his off seasons. He takes 1-2 months off completely. No working out. Goes plays golf. Travels w his lady friend

he says he doesn’t participate in draft process, no interviews, no game tape

he said he watches the YouTube highlight vids. 

I DO not want in anyway Allen to make picks directly. I think this is all funny interview filler. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 6

Just now, whorlnut said:

Do we know how many WRs were on Allen’s list? All 3 of those guys AND Coleman might have been. I like consulting Allen on this. Just keep in mind, he hasn’t seen tons of any of these guys. I want his opinion because he’s the franchise. At the same time, I don’t want him overriding scouts with more info (I’m not suggesting that happened).

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, balln said:

Allen has been on record and even piecing together his off seasons. He takes 1-2 months off completely. No working out. Goes plays golf. Travels w his lady friend

he says he doesn’t participate in draft process, no interviews, no game tape

he said he watches the YouTube highlight vids. 

I DO not want in anyway Allen to make picks directly. I think this is all funny interview filler. 

He also must have sent Beane a text last year before round one that said “Dalton Kincaid”…

6 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

College is a lot more handsy than the NFL too. Kaiir was a good corner at UF but he was known for grabbing shirts and wasn't flagged much for it (going into that draft I felt he'd make a better FS). I want to see what Coleman can do when there's no tugging anymore. I'll bet we see more separation. Same thing with Pukka Nacua. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do we know how many WRs were on Allen’s list? All 3 of those guys AND Coleman might have been. I like consulting Allen on this. Just keep in mind, he hasn’t seen tons of any of these guys. I want his opinion because he’s the franchise. At the same time, I don’t want him overriding scouts with more info (I’m not suggesting that happened).

I feel like Allen wanted a guy that could make that ridiculous catch in the big moment. Colemans has a lot of ridiculous grabs

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Gigs said:

College is a lot more handsy than the NFL too. Kaiir was a good corner at UF but he was known for grabbing shirts and wasn't flagged much for it (going into that draft I felt he'd make a better FS). I want to see what Coleman can do when there's no tugging anymore. I'll bet we see more separation. Same thing with Pukka Nacua. 

Yeah, not sure why Coleman isn’t being comped more to Nakua…seems plausible 

• Like (+1) 1

Allen was right about Kincaid and I’m glad he’s happy, but yeah, I wouldn’t be abdicating making selections to him if I were the GM. 

I hope to hell that Coleman is amazing, but I don’t think he will be a guy that will command double teams (hope I’m wrong) and I think we may even have to scheme to put him in favorable situation (hope I’m wrong). 

You really wanted the other way around, players that the opposing coaches have to make adjustments to account for. the more of those guys you have the more trouble you give the opposing team. And then you can even scheme to put them in more favorable positions and leverage their special talents. That’s where things get really fun.

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

You don't get put in as punt returner if you don't have some natural athletic ability. The fact that he returned punts for FSU at his body size is a good sign IMO. This guy has football quickness and IQ. 

This is a really good point. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

You don't get put in as punt returner if you don't have some natural athletic ability. The fact that he returned punts for FSU at his body size is a good sign IMO. This guy has football quickness and IQ. 

you are a fan of a team that literally put back a punt catcher 

to speak in that absolute is silly 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s probably true and an interesting thought. The drops were tough last year.

ive seen a lot of Gabe 2.0. Remember Gabe making those big time catches in big spots. prior to the disappointing season last year. If we can get a better version of Gabe as a floor...its a successful pick.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yeah, not sure why Coleman isn’t being comped more to Nakua…seems plausible 

Honestly that's my comp. Admittedly I focused on other guys...I think it's because I didn't want a dirty Seminole Vesicle on the Bills lol. Seriously tho, he's almost the same dude but built like Josh. I think if he's used right he can be our #1 out the gate if he's ready. 

• Like (+1) 1