Rd 2, Pick 60: DB Cole Bishop, Utah

SDS

On 4/27/2024 at 8:25 AM, NoSaint said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if they bring him along in a package role to get his feet wet

even Kincaid rolled in slow until the Knox injury 

This.   I think Bishop is Bernard-2.0.  I get the impression that the safety job, as McDermott has designed it, is about the most-challenging position on the defense from a mental point of view, perhaps even more difficult than MLB.  It requires a deep understanding of what's going on pre-snap and adjusting, and then adjusting again post-snap.  And it requires being on the same page with the other safety.  

Bishop apparently is smart - you can see in his presser that he's quite clear about what he needs to learn to play, and he understands that much of it is going to be brand new.  But we all saw Bernard in his rookie season - it simply isn't easy to transition out of college into those roles.  

I'll probably say this several times in the next few days, but I think the challenge for the Bills this season will be to get out of the first half of the season without losing too many games to be able to contend for the Division and the playoffs.  I think it won't be until the second half of the season that we will begin to see the real impact of the rookies.  Coleman, Bishop, Carter, Van Pran-Granger, Davis, even a late rounder or two, all have good shots at meaningful snaps as the season progresses.  

And I'll say one other thing several times, too:  I think there's a good chance that a lot of people here are going to be surprised by Coleman.  The more I read about him, the more I think Brady is going to find a way to get him open.  When Josh is scrambling, who has been go-to guy been?  Increasingly last season, it was Shakir and Kincaid.  I think Coleman will quickly become another go-to, and Samuel may be a fourth.   I'm starting to think that if Josh has the poise of a great QB - and he's already awfully good - he's going to be awash in options.  

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 4/27/2024 at 6:46 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Also, I don't want anybody telling me McDermott doesn't run the draft.

This is such an immature comment.  I don’t know where to start, junior, but I’ll try.

The GM is responsible for acquiring players.  The GM knows who the HC and coordinators are, and what type of players are best suited for their systems and the team culture.  The GM then builds the roster using that knowledge, combined with the skill of the scouting staff.

It would be dumb to simply “pick good players” (see:  Doug Whaley) without considering how they fit into the offensive and defensive systems.

Understand now?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, eball said:

This is such an immature comment.  I don’t know where to start, junior, but I’ll try.

The GM is responsible for acquiring players.  The GM knows who the HC and coordinators are, and what type of players are best suited for their systems and the team culture.  The GM then builds the roster using that knowledge, combined with the skill of the scouting staff.

It would be dumb to simply “pick good players” (see:  Doug Whaley) without considering how they fit into the offensive and defensive systems.

Understand now?

Right, it's also why they have the offensive draft philosophy they do, because McDermott wants ball control.

Junior.

• Dislike 3

On 4/27/2024 at 6:46 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

If we can keep Samuel off the field that'd be awesome 

Also, I don't want anybody telling me McDermott doesn't run the draft.

Like to know what is your issue with Samuel-- what do you know that I dont.. I thought it was a good pick up 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 4thandGoal said:

Like to know what is your issue with Samuel-- what do you know that I dont.. I thought it was a good pick up 

Samuel was a great pick up.  Very productive in Washington given the circumstances of that offense and QBing.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, 4thandGoal said:

other than the fact that he was the third WR on a terrible team that we're now counting on for serious production?

there's a reason they let him go, and i say again, the foreskins were REALLY bad.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

other than the fact that he was the third WR on a terrible team that we're now counting on for serious production?

there's a reason they let him go, and i say again, the foreskins were REALLY bad.

1) he only had 15 less catches then the #1 the last two years which amounts to one catch per game- and Averaged about two yards less per catch

2) the number 2 WR on Washington(are you thinking its DOtson?)  had horrible numbers

3) the QB play is less then desirable

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Question:  Are you intentionally trying to look more and more foolish with every comment like this was a Leslie Nielsen comedy?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Question:  Are you intentionally trying to look more and more foolish with every comment like this was a Leslie Nielsen comedy?

Surely he can't be serious

• Haha (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes, heaven forbid anyone question the potential of a third tier FA WR.

How incredibly foolish 

58 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Yes, heaven forbid anyone question the potential of a third tier FA WR.

How incredibly foolish 

But why are you doing it in a thread about a Safety we just drafted? 😂

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1