Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

3 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

In the consensus top 15 wrs, the Bills managed to take the one guy I was hoping they would avoid due to lack of speed and separation. He is a contested catch guy which is a hard way to make a living but who knows maybe Coleman can manage to make it work for him in the NFL. He is still young, so many he can learn to become a more savvy route runner in order to gain a little more separation from defenders. 

You are really hoping that Brady can scheme space for him but it’ll be tough. 

as a wr2 with Kincaid-cook-and a future WR1 it’s easier for him to pull it off.

it’s hard to picture that guy as still productive as a focal point for defensive coordinators though. Gabe Davis as our too slow deep threat that disappeared for weeks but could make plays 

We will see if Coleman can run a more complete route tree and have a bit more suddenness in his breaks. Better hands will help but the speed is a potential limiting factor no doubt. There’s no way around acknowledging it as a real concern.

• Like (+1) 2

I had a feeling about a month ago that Coleman was going to be our pick, and I’m fine with it.  He’s a great athlete, good size, an absolute baller. He’s going to be in the league a long time.

It’s becoming clear that—at least with their premium picks—the Bills want younger players, with no injury history and no character concerns. They are not going to gamble on guys like AD Mitchell or Jermaine Burton…just not who they are as a franchise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

After some time to reflect. I like the Coleman pick. When Josh is scrambling and he chucks it, Coleman has the catch radius to get it. He definitely plays faster than his 40 time. Comparing him to X Worthy, he has proven attributes for long term success. There have been other successful players with his profile. At 165 lbs, Worthy is an outlier with not many similar body builds who have had long term careers. Having said that, he will probably burn us for a TD, then get injured the following week. I’m still curious why they didn’t choose Legitt. Maybe it was the age difference - 20 vs 23 for Legitt. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I had a feeling about a month ago that Coleman was going to be our pick, and I’m fine with it.  He’s a great athlete, good size, an absolute baller. He’s going to be in the league a long time.

It’s becoming clear that—at least with their premium picks—the Bills want younger players, with no injury history and no character concerns. They are not going to gamble on guys like AD Mitchell or Jermaine Burton…just not who they are as a franchise.

I listed him as a likely target like a month ago too…. But then he kind of fell from my board. Early in the process and with diggs still I thought they’d want a bigger frame guy. When diggs left I started keying on locking in a true WR1 prototype more which I don’t think he has the gifts to be

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I listed him as a likely target like a month ago too…. But then he kind of fell from my board. Early in the process and with diggs still I thought they’d want a bigger frame guy. When diggs left I started keying on locking in a true WR1 prototype more which I don’t think he has the gifts to be

He's a Gabe Davis replacement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I keep hearing that Coleman has much better hands that Gabe Davis but his catch rate was 57.5% last year which was definitely on the lower end of draft prospects. Part of the lower catch rate has to do with such a high portion of his catches ending up being contested since there is no separation. When he makes the jump ball or contested catch it ends up on his highlights and many are sensational plays. However, when you watch all of his targets you see a lot of drops and battles he did not win and come down with the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1

people may look at Coleman as Benjamin,  id rather look at him as possibly a Mike Evans.  Evans isnt a burner either,  but his big body is going to get him in the HoF eventually.  ya it may be a stretch,  but u cant teach size.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

He's a Gabe Davis replacement.

I'll tell you what, if Day 3 starts with word that the Bills have traded a bunch of 5ths and next year's 2nd (keeping the pick we got for Diggs) for Courtland Sutton I will feel a whole lot better 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

people may look at Coleman as Benjamin,  id rather look at him as possibly a Mike Evans.  Evans isnt a burner either,  but his big body is going to get him in the HoF eventually.  ya it may be a stretch,  but u cant teach size.

I would rather look at him as that too but that’s not likely to leave you happy. 

he’s probably somewhere between gabe and mike Williams 

Good enough to give you ammo to tell the haters to be quiet he didn’t bust but not a guy that is a WR1 

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'll tell you what, if Day 3 starts with word that the Bills have traded a bunch of 5ths and next year's 2nd (keeping the pick we got for Diggs) for Courtland Sutton I will feel a whole lot better 

I don’t think you even need the 2 for him 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

You are really hoping that Brady can scheme space for him but it’ll be tough. 

as a wr2 with Kincaid-cook-and a future WR1 it’s easier for him to pull it off.

it’s hard to picture that guy as still productive as a focal point for defensive coordinators though. Gabe Davis as our too slow deep threat that disappeared for weeks but could make plays 

We will see if Coleman can run a more complete route tree and have a bit more suddenness in his breaks. Better hands will help but the speed is a potential limiting factor no doubt. There’s no way around acknowledging it as a real concern.

Watching a little of his game now. He reminds me a little bit of Deandre Hopkins, actually. Hopkins ran a 4.57.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

That doesn't make sense.

Before you would trade a pick, why wouldn't you ask them if they planned on taking "this person"?

Right?

Not to mention Dan Morgan, President of Football Ops in Carolina played for Carolina while Beane was President of Football Ops and worked under Beane before going back to Carolina.

Of all the scenarios, Legette “sneaking” to Carolina after it was telegraphed all week and Beane’s relationship with Dan Morgan wasn’t one of them.

And to base it all off of “my buddy guessed the first two picks so it must be right.”? Bahaha. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Julio Hopkins said:

He has done a solid job proving he isn't smarter than everyone else for the past 5 years.  

We have the second most wins in the NFL over the past 4 years.  How do we keep doing that with such terrible players picked by such an awful GM and coached by such a incompetent head coach?

I’ve been reading this forum for 20 years and never post, but I felt compelled to ask.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2