Anyone Here Ever Been on a Jury? (or involved in choosing a jury?)

I've been called for jury duty twice and selected and participated on a trial once.  I very much enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, after being a juror I hope I am never put on trial.  3/4 of my fellow jurors - if brains were dynamite, they couldn't blow out a match.  Scary.  

Edited by Irv
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The last two times I was called for jury service I was excused after I was asked what my profession was. 

The first time we were all excused after the accused was marched past the room we were in and promptly accepted a plea agreement. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Called for jury duty in Oakland, CA. Found out later he had shot someone. Was self employed and low on money. Tried to ask off because any long trial woluld have put me near bankruptcy then. Judge wouldn't dismiss me.  They had picked 8 jurors already when they questioned me.  In questionnaire I stressed my background in molecular biology (DNA sequencing). Got dismissed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Interesting stuff (at least to me) about jury selection in the hush money case.

Anyone here have any first-hand experience?

Alleged.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Irv said:

I've been called for jury duty twice and selected and participated on a trial once.  I very much enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, after being a juror I hope I am never put on trial.  3/4 of my fellow jurors - if brains were dynamite, they couldn't blow out a match.  Scary.  

In the case of this Trump trial I expect the Judge and Prosecutor are looking for people with a bias against the defendant that are just smart enough to follow their argument but not smart enough to perform any logical or critical thinking. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Alleged.  

Hey, keep your story straight. It was hush money, but it was just to save Melania and the kids from embarrassment.

Seriously though ... I'm not interested in another Trump trials thread. I'm interested in what people thought of the process and whether they think they would up with a fair and attentive jury.

I was on a jury a few years back, but the funny part about being in a rural area showed up.

I didn't know the accused, and even though I wasn't what you would call friends with the judge, she did have to notify the attorneys that she had been at a neighborhood party that I was at also,  a few nights before.

B-)

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I was on a jury a few years back, but the funny part about being in a rural area showed up.

I didn't know the accused, and even though I wasn't what you would call friends with the judge, she did have to notify the attorneys that she had been at a neighborhood party that I was at also,  a few nights before.

B-)

I went to a talk by a legal historian many years ago. And that was exactly his point: the right to be tried by a "jury of your peers" traditionally meant being tried by the townfolk who no doubt knew you, or at least knew your family and knew who you were. It's only in modern urban times and places that we assume some kind of anonymity.

• Like (+1) 2

I was on a 6 person jury on a DWI case.   Was the foreman.  It was very interesting and well worth it.  We paid attention and sent him up the river.

One other time I was called was for some kind of drug case. We were in jury selection. The defendant, a young black man, decided to represent himself. He tried but was obviously overwhelmed and even started crying at one point.

Then when it came time where the jury could ask the lawyers questions, several of us told the dude to get a lawyer or he would be railroaded.  Then we broke for lunch.  When we returned he had changed his mind and decided to get a lawyer so we were dismissed.

The last time I was called I just filled out a form and they told me I could leave.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

B-)

Did you folks throw all the keys in a basket, or play pin the tail on the MIL…ah never mind.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My dad retired and shortly thereafter he got kinda board. He was good friends with the county clerk and she talked him into serving as a baliff; he works as much as he wants. He worked a number of trials, including a couple when the jury was sequestered. He had some whopper stories.

I have twice been through voir dire and I was rejected both times based on my answer to a couple questions. I gave honest answers but in the one case it was clear the prosecutor wanted people who believed the guy was guilty because of almost exclusively testimony, where I need solid evidence 

I was dismissed by the defense attorney. It was a murder and attempted murder case. I would have been the last person seated

The judge asked the jury pool if anyone had ever been a crime victim. I answered yes. They asked what the crime was. I told them.

BOOTED. Biased and unable to be impartial. BALONEY. But the attorneys have split second to make snap judgments I get it.

I didn't like it but I get it.

• Like (+1) 1

The one trial I was on a jury was a malpractice case. I knew the plaintiff and the doctor being sued. I told them this during voir dire and they asked if my knowing both parties would cause me have an opinion before the evidence was presented. I said no and then they named me foreman.

• Like (+1) 1