Who should the Bills draft at #58? - TSW Mock Draft 2.0

Virgil

Who should the Bills draft at #58?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Bills draft at #58?

• Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU
    • Javon Bullard, S, Georgia
    • Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami
    • Cole Bishop, S, Utah
    • Michael Hall Jr, DT, Ohio State

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/15/2024 at 04:00 PM

Out of this list I'm taking Kingsley Suamataia. This draft is strong at OT so we should try to spend a top 100 pick on one if possible. He also jumps out as someone that probably could have gone 20 picks higher and no one would have batted an eye. He is raw but has great physical traits (9.35 RAS score) and doesn't have to be rushed into a starting role. Ideally he would take over for Spencer Brown in 2025, meaning we would get a comp pick back for Brown and spend his cap space on more meaningful positions. Theoretically it's a good pick for value and long term team building.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Is Michael Hall Jr available? The DT from OSU?

Calen Bullock, S, USC

Patrick Paul, OT, Houston

Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin 

Cole Bushop, S, Utah

I added in a few of them.  I don't want to list more than 3 per position.  I added those with 2nd round grades via CBS or ESPN

I'm going Javon Bullard, S, Georgia here.  ESPN's highest rated safety, BPA and position of need.  Win win

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I added in a few of them.  I don't want to list more than 3 per position.  I added those with 2nd round grades via CBS or ESPN

I'm going Javon Bullard, S, Georgia here.  ESPN's highest rated safety, BPA and position of need.  Win win

No worries, you had a great list initially just thought I’d add some food for thought.

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I suspect he'll win the poll because everyone knows safety is a need. I just personally have no interest in drafting a safety anywhere in the top 75 picks. It's too easy to find good players at that position later in the draft. Especially in McDermott's defense we don't need studs at the position, just smart players that can learn the defense and stick to their zones.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I suspect he'll win the poll because everyone knows safety is a need. I just personally have no interest in drafting a safety anywhere in the top 75 picks. It's too easy to find good players at that position later in the draft. Especially in McDermott's defense we don't need studs at the position, just smart players that can learn the defense and stick to their zones.

I went with Michael Hall Jr.. Perfect player to back up Oliver at that 3T spot and we can pair him up with Ed inside on passing downs. I think we can find depth at safety and OL in RD 4-5.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I went with Michael Hall Jr.. Perfect player to back up Oliver at that 3T spot and we can pair him up with Ed inside on passing downs. I think we can find depth at safety and OL in RD 4-5.

Hall is a reasonable pick on talent alone. I've heard he has character concerns so I'm not sure the Bills would consider him.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I would typically with you on another team, but S feels to be the captain position that McD likes to target.  Hyde and White started this D, and I think they are slightly more important in our system.  

So if we can land the top safety in the draft after getting our WR, I’ll take it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Out of this list I'm taking Kingsley Suamataia. This draft is strong at OT so we should try to spend a top 100 pick on one if possible. He also jumps out as someone that probably could have gone 20 picks higher and no one would have batted an eye. He is raw but has great physical traits (9.35 RAS score) and doesn't have to be rushed into a starting role. Ideally he would take over for Spencer Brown in 2025, meaning we would get a comp pick back for Brown and spend his cap space on more meaningful positions. Theoretically it's a good pick for value and long term team building.

This is exactly the right idea. Him or Christian Hayes would be my choice as both help JA. Haynes has a more direct path to playing time this year but OT is a more valuable position than Guard and I’m still skeptical Brown will play well consistently going forward. Insurance for 2024 and beyond would be a good idea. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

What type of DT is Hall and how does he fit into this defense?

Yepa 3 tech who is a penetrating 1 gap player. Like Oliver he is undersized, not as explosive, but he makes plays and is very good with his hands. 

Just now, H2o said:

Bralen Trice should be added, maybe?

He didn't show well at the Combine really, but he had 8 sacks and an insane 53 QB pressures. 

He’s gone

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LEBills said:

3 tech, Oliver’s backup

Yeah, to me, I don’t want depth with a 2nd round pick.  Round 4 and beyond, sure. 

I want starters in rounds 1-3

• Agree 4

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I love Bullard here.  I also dont think the team should try to find a diamond in the rough if the opportunity to get a very good player presents itself like it has here.  Bullard would immediately jump into the starting lineup and upgrade the position.

Value and need matchup nicely here.  Do you really want to lean on a 4th round or later rookie starter? I don't.  Add in that I like Bullard as a player and this was an easy choice for me.

Austin Booker anyone? He came in light at the Combine, but the Underwear Olympics isn't really his thing. He definitely has the frame to add weight as well. But if you watch the video, you'll see he already plays with power. He can stand up, then disengage from OL'men and make plays in the run game too. 

I also wouldn't mind Gabriel Murphy here. I like these two as Day 2 picks. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It is not easy to keep track of. I can’t imagine how pressure packed it is in real life

As PC as the comments seem, this is honestly why GMs are always claiming “we’ll stick with our board. We’re always open to business and want to explore our options but we trust our evaluations and will see them through”

The only other option is to panic, which I feel like happens more often than we’d like to think (even at OBD). That said, those swings have to be taken later in day three. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

Austin Booker anyone? He came in light at the Combine, but the Underwear Olympics isn't really his thing. He definitely has the frame to add weight as well. But if you watch the video, you'll see he already plays with power. He can stand up, then disengage from OL'men and make plays in the run game too. 

I also wouldn't mind Gabriel Murphy here. I like these two as Day 2 picks. 

I do like Booker. He is 100% boom or bust but he does one thing well and that is get to the QB. I would take his upside and length over a bunch of the edge guys in this draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

Of the choices given...Javon Bullard.  Ideally,  I'd rather wait a round to draft a safety,  but it looks like this mock isn't going terribly well for the Bills at other positions. 

Isn't Bullard projected to be more of a big nickel, box player type? Less of a high safety?

If so, it seems like we sort of already have that in-house with Rapp and, to some extent, Edwards.

Maybe I'm crazy, but...I'm not sure he fits what the Bills need at safety right now. I can't be a victim of group-think here, so I'm gonna cast my vote elsewhere on this list.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Yeah, to me, I don’t want depth with a 2nd round pick.  Round 4 and beyond, sure. 

I want starters in rounds 1-3

Exactly. We have plenty of spots that need guys to come in and start right away. Adding talented line depth (whether DT or OT) is nice, but we cant afford that right now.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Isn't Bullard projected to be more of a big nickel, box player type? Less of a high safety?

If so, it seems like we sort of already have that in-house with Rapp and, to some extent, Edwards.

Maybe I'm crazy, but...I'm not sure he fits what the Bills need at safety right now. I can't be a victim of group-think here, so I'm gonna cast my vote elsewhere on this list.

Wouldn’t that make him Poyer’s replacement.   I don’t know if Rapp is the long term answer, and we didn’t pay him as such.  

I’d be fine with Bullard and a FS later 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Wanted to go with Kam Kichens because Beane was just saying they are trying to look past measurable onto tape…he ran poorly, but has been a dude…still a reach.  Kind of hate this trade  back scenario 

I did go with Kichens here. I didn't base it off personal preference, rather what I feel the Bills would do if the board looked like this. Mainly because he has a lot of the same traits the Bill like in their Safety. Also, we just hired his DB coach from college. I think he would be the pick. Coaches like familiarity. 

If the board looked like this, I would be praying for another trade back. Just don't like the value here.

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Wouldn’t that make him Poyer’s replacement.   I don’t know if Rapp is the long term answer, and we didn’t pay him as such.  

I’d be fine with Bullard and a FS later 

Yeah. Maybe so. 

It just seems like we'd suddenly be stacked three-deep at that "Poyer role" with Rapp, Edwards, and Bullard, and still in need of a long term free safety.

As you say, though, they still have plenty more picks to address that, and us fans probably make too much of the difference between the two safety spots in this defensive scheme anyway.

On a separate note...I really think the Bills would have a hard time passing on the OT Saumataia here, "needs" be damned. He'd be quite the value here and, as a previous poster said, would allow them to let Brown walk for a compensatory pick and allocate that money elsewhere next year.

I get the argument for wanting an immediate starter, and I understand that drafting a guy at a position most don't consider to be a "need" would irritate some, but...if you really do believe in taking the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE -- and particularly when said player plays a premium position -- you have to seriously consider Saumataia.

Edited by Logic

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah. Maybe so. 

It just seems like we'd suddenly be stacked three-deep at that "Poyer role" with Rapp, Edwards, and Bullard, and still in need of a long term free safety.

As you say, though, they still have plenty more picks to address that, and us fans probably make too much of the difference between the two safety spots in this defensive scheme anyway.

This is why I'm going with Calen Bullock of Bullard.

Bullock is a long rangy 6'3" Safety who can hang in the backfield and ball hawk for us.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is why I'm going with Calen Bullock of Bullard.

Bullock is a long rangy 6'3" Safety who can hang in the backfield and ball hawk for us.

I actually like him and Bishop both more than Bullard here. I just like the way they fit the Bills scheme -- or at least what I perceive it to be -- better than Bullard. Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah. Maybe so. 

On a separate note...I really think the Bills would have a hard time passing on the OT Saumataia here, "needs" be damned. He'd be quite the value here and, as a previous poster said, would allow them to let Brown walk for a compensatory pick and allocate that money elsewhere next year.

I get the argument for wanting an immediate starter, and I understand that drafting a guy at a position most don't consider to be a "need" would irritate some, but...if you really do believe in taking the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE -- and particularly when said player plays a premium position -- you have to seriously consider Saumataia.

I’d be fine with Saumataia if he could start at RG this season. Then, depending on how he pans out, kick him out out RT if we lose Brown.  

• Like (+1) 1

Poll selections are updated to the top 6.  

If your pick was removed, please vote again

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I actually like him and Bishop both more than Bullard here. I just like the way they fit the Bills scheme -- or at least what I perceive it to be -- better than Bullard. Just my opinion.

Do you view any of the safeties available as more of FS to replace Hyde?