NFL draft rumors 2024

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I've had this feeling about the Giants and a Quarterback for a while. But equally if you are sitting there at #6 and you have a specific receiver preference why not let it be known that you are looking at QBs to try and encourage Minnesota or Denver or the Raiders to trade up ahead of you into #4 or #5 which takes a potential wide receiver team out of your way and increases the chances your guy gets to #6. 

Schoen ain’t no Beane. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

Schoen ain’t no Beane. 

The take I heard when Schoen was here from people inside and close to it was always he is the best pure evaluator on the staff but he doesn't have Beane's strategic brain. And as we know there is more to being a good GM than just being able to spot a good player. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Schoen should do whatever it takes to get HIS QB.

Just like Buf did in a similar class with 4 -5 elite prospects 

They didn't draft Jones and can get out that deal next year. Thank God they took Saquon in 17

First and foremost, Schoen should trust his evaluations of the QBs in this draft. One of the worst things a GM can do is to allow need to distort his evaluation of a player - especially a QB. Just because you have a need doesn't mean that there's a player who can fill it. It happens every year though. Honestly, their best option might be to tank this season after they acquire more draft capital in the 2025 draft so they can get their guy then.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If we got him in the 1st, trade back up later to grab Ladd McConkey....would that make your trousers happy?

I love Newton I just don't know how the Bills extract maximum value from him and Ed Oliver. Can this team afford to spend a 1st roind pick on a guy who plays the same position as their best defensive player? I don't know. To be honest I don't think Newton will be there anyway. So it is all moot.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Dolphins GM says he doesn’t have 21 1st round grades.

There are some QBs without first round grades that will be going before 21. I've heard multiple people say that they have (or have heard that there are) 20 players with 1st round grades.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I love Newton I just don't know how the Bills extract maximum value from him and Ed Oliver. Can this team afford to spend a 1st roind pick on a guy who plays the same position as their best defensive player? I don't know. To be honest I don't think Newton will be there anyway. So it is all moot.

I think you could figure out a way to get him on the field with Oliver a lot. 

18 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They get back a 3rd.

yea that is not a good trade.

This team needs that 2nd round pick really bad.

Dan Fetes had some ideas that make some sense today on buffalo plus but no team will go for it...He was trading 60 and next years 1st rounder to get another 1st rounder this year.

so they would have 28 plus another first and no 2nd or 3rd.   That seemingly will never happen and also trading away next years 1 is as crazy to me as not having 60 this year when they draft.

25 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

First and foremost, Schoen should trust his evaluations of the QBs in this draft. One of the worst things a GM can do is to allow need to distort his evaluation of a player - especially a QB. Just because you have a need doesn't mean that there's a player who can fill it. It happens every year though. Honestly, their best option might be to tank this season after they acquire more draft capital in the 2025 draft so they can get their guy then.

Problem is that the 2025 QB class is trash 

43 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If we got him in the 1st, trade back up later to grab Ladd McConkey....would that make your trousers happy?

How about this: trade a second next year for Aiyuk and then trade up in the second this year for someone like Coleman or legette or another deep threat receiver in this draft to compliment him. That would be a grand slam. On top of lending someone like Newton who would be a terror with Oliver on 2nd and 3rd and lungs if they decided to play them at the same time.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I haven't really looked at it, but how much worse is it than QB4 in this draft?

Worse in my opinion but it’s still early and at this time last year not many were talking about Daniel’s as a high end QB so things do change. 

I also think if you are in the range to draft a possible franchise QB and you need one you need to take that chance . Next year is not always a guarantee

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Worse in my opinion but it’s still early and at this time last year not many were talking about Daniel’s as a high end QB so things do change. 

I also think if you are in the range to draft a possible franchise QB and you need one you need to take that chance . Next year is not always a guarantee

I think it depends on which prospects are within range this year. I wouldn’t force it if I were Daboll or Schoen, especially since I don’t think that their jobs are on the line. 

Edited by BarleyNY

2 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

How about this: trade a second next year for Aiyuk and then trade up in the second this year for someone like Coleman or legette or another deep threat receiver in this draft to compliment him. That would be a grand slam. On top of lending someone like Newton who would be a terror with Oliver on 2nd and 3rd and lungs if they decided to play them at the same time.

Instead of spending draft capital.

I think a solid plan would be to go to Michael Gallup and give him a 1 or 2 year deal, he won't cost that much.  He is similar to Gabe Davis and can step right into his role.  This guarantees they have a big sideline guy to play the x.  Gallup if healthy all year could have a very good year with this team.

Then draft the Best player available at 28 and then again at 60.  One of these two picks will be a wr.  Then they will have some capable young veteran wr's and a young developing player in the wr room to go along with two good tight ends, a couple of good backs and a good offensive line.

and most importantly they go into next year with an already capable team, a bunch of new cap space and 4 good picks.  Those picks next year can turn into 4 young cheap players who put the team over the top.

I hate the idea of trading away next years picks and I absolutely can not understand people willing to trade 60 to move up an then have no 2nd or 3rd rounder this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I know this is going to sound kind of crazy but I think I’d try him out at the Edge some in certain packages and bump him inside with Oliver for a NASCAR type package on passing downs. 

He’s athletic enough and could honestly say he could be better than Darius Robinson at DE. I just worry about his length.

It’s a reach for sure but it’s how I would maximize his value. Give him 30% of Oliver’s snaps, 10-15% of the DE snaps and another 10-15% as a 1 Tech next to Oliver on passing downs 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Seems to be falling in some mocks… yeah I know … mocks right … but starting to wonder if there is something negative out there ? 

Smaller size. He’ll be the # 2 DT off the board just because Murphy is bigger 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Johnny started the off season as a solid mid teens Round 1 pick.. now he is the end of Round 1 guy that the “experts” try to squeeze in when they do Round 1 only mocks …

The Kiper Belt with Field of Dreams Yates have him at 49 on their latest … but they have  a bet each way and says they expect a team to still take him in Round 1… lols all round there … sometimes they pick with what they expect teams to do … and others it’s their opinions …

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Johnny started the off season as a solid mid teens Round 1 pick.. now he is the end of Round 1 guy that the “experts” try to squeeze in when they do Round 1 only mocks …

The Kiper Belt with Field of Dreams Yates have him at 49 on their latest … but they have  a bet each way and says they expect a team to still take him in Round 1… lols all round there … sometimes they pick with what they expect teams to do … and others it’s their opinions …

His production on tape is undeniable but he lacks a lot of the desirable traits that NFL teams want as a top guy. There are very few guys like Aaron Donald who make it at the level he did. Oliver was drafted 9th but I think most would agree he wasn't worth that pick 5 years in. He has been a good to great player at times but hasn't lived up to the elite potential.

Its unfortunate but a lot of teams have minimums for their positions and if any guy doesn't hit them it doesn't necessarily mean their off the board but they do get dinged for it.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This is kind of a juicy one. 

Is it, though?

He says that they haven't heard anything about it...but basically if could possibly maybe sorta happen. But nothing has been said.

He sounds like someone posting here tbh😂😂

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Is it, though?

He says that they haven't heard anything about it...but basically if could possibly maybe sorta happen. But nothing has been said.

He sounds like someone posting here tbh😂😂

he is suggesting that something is possible … like no kidding Sherlock 😂

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

they haven’t heard anything about it because Beane is Stealth and moves in the shadows

Or he doesn’t want to do it .. or the other teams  don’t  want to trade down that far or they just prefer to take Nabors or  Odunze themselves …

Not as much fun to dream otherwise though … we’ll know in 11 days of dreams come true 

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

he is suggesting that something is possible … like no kidding Sherlock 😂

"We could see some teams move up. Some may move back. Even so, some may pick where they are scheduled.  We also hear there may possibly be players selected in EACH of the 7 rounds. Nothing to confirm any of this, so be on the lookout. You heard it here first".🤣

• Thank you (+1) 1

This guy is an Associated Press NFL Writer/Insider and MLB Hall of Fame Voter…so slight chance he’s heard whispers?!

4. Buffalo Bills (mock trade with Arizona): MARVIN HARRISON JR., WIDE RECEIVER, OHIO STATE

Harrison, the son of Hall of Fame receiver Marvin Harrison, was the best WR on the field last season. His stock has slipped some because he skipped offseason workouts but his tape is enough. The Bills are under pressure to win a Super Bowl and need a No. 1 wideout after trading Stefon Diggs.

This blockbuster deal sends pick No. 28, a second-rounder (60), a fourth (128), a fifth (160) and a 2025 first and second to Arizona for No. 4 and a 2025 fourth.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1

9 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This guy is an Associated Press NFL Writer/Insider and MLB Hall of Fame Voter…so slight chance he’s heard whispers?!

4. Buffalo Bills (mock trade with Arizona): MARVIN HARRISON JR., WIDE RECEIVER, OHIO STATE

Harrison, the son of Hall of Fame receiver Marvin Harrison, was the best WR on the field last season. His stock has slipped some because he skipped offseason workouts but his tape is enough. The Bills are under pressure to win a Super Bowl and need a No. 1 wideout after trading Stefon Diggs.

This blockbuster deal sends pick No. 28, a second-rounder (60), a fourth (128), a fifth (160) and a 2025 first and second to Arizona for No. 4 and a 2025 fourth.

I can't really see Beane paying that price and having nothing beyond a collection of day 3 picks for the rest of the draft. It's certainly a push all your chips in move.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Seems to be falling in some mocks… yeah I know … mocks right … but starting to wonder if there is something negative out there ? 

The injury was part of it. But that pro day yesterday should arrest the slide somewhat.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I can't really see Beane paying that price and having having nothing beyond a collection of day 3 picks for the rest of the draft. It's certainly a push all your chips in move.

Something has to give right? I can’t see the Bills depending on a 2nd round WR prospect to replace Diggs, which is what we’ll draft at 28.

It’s really fascinating to me. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Something has to give right? I can’t see the Bills depending on a 2nd round WR prospect to replace Diggs, which is what we’ll draft at 28.

It’s really fascinating to me. 

I believe that Beane made the moves that he did because he saw that that roster had peaked and was fading and to fix the cap.  The Diggs trade may not have been planned, but rather forced by team dynamics.  Anyway, I think that  Beane knows that this roster isn’t championship quality this year.  He will do what he can to put a good team on the field, but as I see it, the Bills’ D is paper thin and would need a miraculously injury free season to have any shot this year.  I don’t think even the acquisition of Harrison Jr would change that and giving away next year’s 1st and 2nd at significant discount in trade this year would rob them of the picks they need to fix the defense.  I just don’t see any big trade giving away early picks next year as a good option.

About the most I would consider would be a trade of one of next year’s 2nd round picks - and I don’t like that idea very much, but it would at least leave them with a full hand of picks for 2025.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I believe that Beane made the moves that he did because he saw that that roster had peaked and was fading and to fix the cap.  The Diggs trade may not have been planned, but rather forced by team dynamics.  Anyway, I think that  Beane knows that this roster isn’t championship quality this year.  He will do what he can to put a good team on the field, but as I see it, the Bills’ D is paper thin and would need a miraculously injury free season to have any shot this year.  I don’t think even the acquisition of Harrison Jr would change that and giving away next year’s 1st and 2nd at significant discount in trade this year would rob them of the picks they need to fix the defense.  I just don’t see any big trade giving away early picks next year as a good option.

About the most I would consider would be a trade of one of next year’s 2nd round picks - and I don’t like that idea very much, but it would at least leave them with a full hand of picks for 2025.

Another issue is if Beane doesn’t believe the roster is that good, plus a hard schedule, our 2025 1st could be in the top 20 picks. 

They do look to be setting up for a big 2025 and a down 2024. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Murphy isn't bigger though. He is shorter, lighter and has the same length arms as Newton (both just under 33"). They are slightly different shapes, Newton's weight is distributed a bit more evenly whereas Murphy has a thick lower half and I know some teams care about that but they are both technically undersized.... although actually you look at the 3Ts getting drafted early in NFL drafts these days.... I mean they are all kinda in this size range.

16 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Agreed but they might not have the luxury of waiting.  Both their seats are warming up.  If they have another stinker, with no real direction or hope for the future, ownership should be saying it's year 4 and we've gotten nowhere. 

A rookie QB buys them time. Being year 3 and having a very high pick. IF they feel like their guy is attainable.  Obviously they can't pick a qb just to pick a qb

Edited by JerseyBills

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This would remove Mitchell from the Bills board I believe.

If that’s true, I would expect them to stay from Mitchell.  However, I am old enough to remember Dan Marino free falling in the draft due to rumors that he used cocaine regularly - and that was untrue.