TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - Completed

Virgil

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Giants (BuffaloBillyG) are on the clock

With the 47th pick the New York Giants select: Tyler Nubin, Safety, Minnesota 

Help is definitely needed on the defense. We absolutely love the size and instinctive play of Nubin. He has the ball skills and tracking ability to thrive in Shane Bowen's defense. This guy is a ball hawk. We look forward to seeing him in Blue. 

@Doc Brownand the London Jaguars are on the clock.

• Like (+1) 2

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Jaguars (Doc Brown) are on the clock

With the 48th pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select Ennis Rakestraw Jr., DB, Missouri

@frostbitmic and the Bengals are on the clock.

The Texans were close to pulling the trigger on Rakestraw Jr. with their earlier pick in this round but decided on Fiske instead. Seeing him on the board at this point made perfect sense to jump up....and we're glad we did. Ennis will be put on the fast track and be expected to contribute straight away. The duo of Rakestraw Jr. and Derek Stingley Jr. in the defensive backfield should conjure up thoughts of another fine pairing.....a bottle of Chianti and a bowl of fava beans.

Silence Of The Lambs Hannibal GIF

• Like (+1) 2

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Bengals (frostbitmic) are on the clock

With the 49th pick in the 2024 draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas St

@BigdaddyinOrlando and his Saints are on the clock.

Keeping our slightly fragile QB available each week has been an issue so the selection of Beebe should pay off right away. Besides, our 3rd Guard is named Cody Ford.

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Saints (BigdaddyinOrlando) are on the clock

With 50th pick of the 2024 NFL draft the NO Saints select Adisa Isaac edge Penn State

Though he may be bit light right away we will put the weight on him. He has an extremely high and tenacious motor. Needs to develop more than just an outside move but he has talent needed.

The Pittsburgh Steelers @RyanC883 are now on the clock

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Rams (Emotionally Unstable) are on the clock
Posted (edited)

The Pittsburgh Steelers select Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida

Dependable slot target with good size and soft hands who will need to prove that he has the ability to free himself against NFL man coverage. Pearsall might get the stereotypical "crafty route runner" label, but it suits him. He appears to play with an idea of how to manipulate certain coverage looks and leverages. He also plays with attention to detail and a consistent route tempo to create windows, but lacks ideal foot quickness to beat press and maintain separation. While the hands are reliable, he's not physical enough to tilt contested catches in his favor and might have a ceiling of quality backup with punt-return value.

The Rams @EmotionallyUnstable are on the clock 

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The Pittsburgh Steelers select Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma.  

Yes, the Steelers went offensive lineman with both picks, but they needed it.  Looked at other positions of need, but nothing was there of value.  

Guyton is another high-upside prospect that possesses raw technical traits. Hand placement and punch timing needs to improve, but Guyton is a 6-foot-7, 322-pound blocker with rare size, measurements, and athleticism. Guyton’s athletic profile was evident at the NFL Combine, where he leaped a 34.5-inch vertical. If Guyton lands with the right offensive line coach that’s capable of coaching him through his inconsistencies, the sky’s the limit.

Looks like Guyton went at 31

With the 52nd pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, the LA Rams select Bralen Trice, Washington, Edge

I had a few guys on my radar here: I liked Rakestraw until the trade up nabbed him. OT seems a bit picked over, and then Adisa Issac two picks ago….BUT:

Trice is a gamer. Had some rough testing at the combine which allows us a guy who plays best in full gear in Sundays, not in the shorts Olympics in the off season. 

After getting DL help in round one from Murphy, we’ll continue to bolster the defensive side of the ball up front. I don’t think Trice is a game wrecker, but he can be a nice piece as a future starter and has a floor as a situational player while the Rams learn to survive in the post- Donald era. 

The Phelon-dolphia Iggles and anything-but @Logic are on the clock

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

With the 52nd pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, the LA Rams select Bralen Trice, Washington, Edge

I had a few guys on my radar here: I liked Rakestraw until the trade up nabbed him. OT seems a bit picked over, and then Adisa Issac two picks ago….BUT:

Trice is a gamer. Had some rough testing at the combine which allows us a guy who plays best in full gear in Sundays, not in the shorts Olympics in the off season. 

After getting DL help in round one from Murphy, we’ll continue to bolster the defensive side of the ball up front. I don’t think Trice is a game wrecker, but he can be a nice piece as a future starter and has a floor as a situational player while the Rams learn to survive in the post- Donald era. 

The Phelon-dolphia Iggles and anything-but @Logic are on the clock

I like it.

As soon as @Virgil amends the Guyton pick, I'm ready to make my selection and keep this thing rolling.

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Eagles (Logic) are on the clock

With the 53rd pick in the 2024 NFL draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M.

After addressing our biggest need in round one with CB Terrion Arnold, we were thrilled to be able to address our next biggest need with our 2nd round pick by taking the top rated linebacker on our board. Cooper is an intense, aggressive player, a hard hitter, and has top line speed for the position. He is EXACTLY what Vic Fangio looks for in a linebacker, and he'll be able to spend a year spelling and learning from starters Devin White and Nakobe Dean. The former is only on a one-year deal, and if Cooper progresses as quickly as we think he will, he has a good chance to earn a starting spot by year two, if not sooner.

@Virgil and the morally bankrupt Cleveland Browns are on the clock.

Just now, Logic said:

With the 53rd pick in the 2024 NFL draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M.

After addressing our biggest need in round one with CB Terrion Arnold, we were thrilled to be able to address our next biggest need with our 2nd round pick by taking the top rated linebacker on our board. Cooper is an intense, aggressive player, a hard hitter, and has top line speed for the position. He is EXACTLY what Vic Fangio looks for in a linebacker, and he'll be able to spend a year spelling and learning from starters Devin White and Nakobe Dean. The former is only on a one-year deal, and if Cooper progresses as quickly as we think he will, he has a good chance to earn a starting spot by year two, if not sooner.

You mother *****...I had that picked teed up and ready to go.  

I hope it burns when you pee

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

In all my years at TBD, no one has ever wished urinary discomfort on me before. I guess the streak was bound to end sooner or later.

p.s. I was heavily considering Ricky Pearsall here, but you took him with your amended pick. My how the turntables...

Edited by Logic
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Yep was hoping he got to 60 but also thought there was no way he got passed the Eagles. And here we are. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

The Pittsburgh Steelers select Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida

Dependable slot target with good size and soft hands who will need to prove that he has the ability to free himself against NFL man coverage. Pearsall might get the stereotypical "crafty route runner" label, but it suits him. He appears to play with an idea of how to manipulate certain coverage looks and leverages. He also plays with attention to detail and a consistent route tempo to create windows, but lacks ideal foot quickness to beat press and maintain separation. While the hands are reliable, he's not physical enough to tilt contested catches in his favor and might have a ceiling of quality backup with punt-return value.

thanks, @Virgil.  Sorry I missed this pick.   My 2 kids had lax games back to back all afternoon that I was coaching (should have told you ahead of time but tried to check phone all day and failed). Great pick for the Steelers. 

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Dolphins (TPS) are on the clock
Posted (edited)

With the 54th pick in the TSW Mock 2.0 draft, the Cleveland Browns select Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington

Slot target with good size and production over the last two seasons. McMillan is a long-striding field-stretcher who is at his best with momentum routes in a West Coast passing scheme. He lacks aggression and play strength and could labor against press or when faced with contested catches. McMillan has adequate build-up speed to create opportunities down the field but needs the ball on target. Teams will need to determine if McMillan was a product of the impressive Washington passing scheme, or if he's a stand-alone talent outside of UW. 

The Dolphins @TPS are on the clock

@TPS@Logic@LEBills

Please try to get your picks in this evening so we can start the Bills final poll tonight if possible.  

Still trying to aim for a Wednesday completion date for this thing so we can determine if there's time for round 3. 

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1

With the 55th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, the Miami Dauphins select T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas.

Miami is happy to see Sweat fall down the board. We believe the family oriented environment in the city of Miami will be a healthy one for Sweat, and we're confident he will toe the line...

@LEBills and the Cowgirls are on the clock.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Cowboys (LEBills) are on the clock
2 minutes ago, TPS said:

With the 55th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, the Miami Dauphins select T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas.

Miami is happy to see Sweat fall down the board. We believe the family oriented environment in the city of Miami will be a healthy one for Sweat, and we're confident he will toe the line...

@LEBills and the Cowgirls are on the clock.

You just made some posters very angry.  I have a feeling he was going to win the poll for the next Bills pick.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You just made some posters very angry.  I have a feeling he was going to win the poll for the next Bills pick.  

That would be the primary job of Miami's GM.

• Haha (+1) 1

With the 56th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select Trey Benson, RB, FSU

Rico Dowdle is our top RB right now. Enough said. The Cowboys have their pick of the RB crop and go with the explosive, well rounded Benson. Though he runs a bit upright, we think Benson will bring a toughness our running game lacked last year without sacrificing the explosive plays in the run and pass game.

@Logic and the Bucs are now on the clock

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, LEBills said:

With the 56th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select Trey Benson, RB, FSU

Rico Dowdle is our top RB right now. Enough said. The Cowboys have their pick of the RB crop and go with the explosive, well rounded Benson. Though he runs a bit upright, we think Benson will bring a toughness our running game lacked last year without sacrificing the explosive plays in the run and pass game.

@Logic and the Bucs are now on the clock

Interesting to see the first running back come off the board. Certainly makes sense that it would be the Cowboys. While we all have our predictions and preferences, I doubt any of us can say with much confidence who the first back off the board will actually be come draft time. Pick makes sense. I like Benson, FWIW.

That said, the Bucs will submit their pick momentarily. Stand by.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Bucs (Logic) are on the clock

With the 57th pick in the 2024 NFL draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Marshawn Kneeland, EDGE, Western Michigan

The Buccaneers had to double-check the draft results thus far because they couldn't believe this guy was still on the board at pick 57. After letting Shaquil Barrett walk in free agency and only signing the aging Randy Gregory, and with Joe Tryon-Shoyinka not progressing as hoped, edge rusher was a very big need for us. Whereas the value didn't match in round one, it more than matches now. Kneeland was our 5th ranked edge rusher in this class. We actually had a late 1st/early 2nd round grade on him. He has good size and thickness, heavy hands, and a motor that never stops. We had a formal visit with him at the combine and hosted him for a top 30 visit. We felt he was a perfect match for our scheme, and we're excited to be able to add him at this point in the draft.

**I really wanted to take a receiver here because it's such a deep and quality receiver class, and I didn't want to miss out on the fun. But if I'm really trying to think like the Bucs GM, I've gotta go with the much bigger need, a player whose value is too good to pass up, and a guy that the Bucs have done a ton of work on in real life**

The Stadium Wall Poll Committee @Virgil @section122 and the beloved Buffalo Beews are now on the clock.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Bills (TSW Poll) are on the clock

Poll is up.  Can't say I'm a huge fan of the options.  The talent worth of this pick just isn't there.  These mocks have shown me that we want out first two picks to be in the top 50, or trade back and see what falls.  There's a lot of 3rd round talent that will go in the 2nd round because somebody has to be picked.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not going to give away everyone I have left on the board with a 2nd round grade because I'm picking a couple of spots after the Bills but I have five 2nd round grades left. As in v1.0 when the Bills came on the clock for their second pick my BPA was Kamari Lassiter, Corner, Georgia.

I know he ran slow, but seriously, he had a 38.5% completion rate when targeted in 2023. He gave up 136 yards on 39 targets. He gave up just two touchdowns in coverage his entire college career. I think you have to stick with what the tape shows you. This kid can ball. I've already taken a corner for Detroit in round 1, but I'd seriously consider double dipping if he is there. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Jaguars (Doc Brown) are on the clock
15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The Buffalo Bills select Javon Bullard, S, Georgia

The Jacksonville Jaguars @Doc Brown are on the clock 

So in hindsight, with the trade down, Bills pass on an opportunity to draft from the pool of Worthy/Mitchell/McConky/Legette in order to land Franklin and a 3rd round pick.

IRL, the Bills could stay put at 28 and still draft Franklin.

IMO, my issue with the trade down is abdicating our position ahead of KC (and even Baltimore), for not a lot in return. I'd rather pick before them and know we are getting OUR guy over having to settle for whoever is left after the teams we are competing with get to stock their cupboards.

Just dont let KC jump us again!

• Agree 1

I forgot Doc Brown messaged me last night and sent me his pick.  

With the 59th pick the Jacksonville Jaguars select Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan.

Jaguars can now breathe after taking a chance in moving down to acquire a 3rd round pick.  Wilson should pair nicely with this WR room adding a speed element that they don't currently have to take the top off of a defense. We prefer WR's that get open and that's exactly what Wilson does.  His superb route running and short area quickness should give Lawrence a reliable slot option.

The Packers @MrEpsYtown are now on the clock

• Like (+1) 2

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Packers (MrEpsYtown) are on the clock

With the 60th pick in the TSW mock draft 2024 2.0 the Green Bay Packers select Junior Colson, LB, Michigan

LBs this year are very interesting and they are all very different. Colson to me is the best of all worlds. He is strong, experienced, young at 21, he can cover and has some speed. His instincts flash at times and he is very gap-sound. In terms of fit, Green Bay is switching to a 4-3 defense after being a 3-4 for many years. They lack talent at the off-ball linebacker position so this is a pretty huge need. They have Quay Walker. At the other spot Isiahah McDuffie, who played for new DC Jim Halfey at BC has the inside track at starting and they have been talking him up. But Colson is on a whole other level and would free Walker up to do what he does best and run and chase. Coach LaFluer talked about the transition to a 4-3 and said he does not want to get tiny in the transition. He wants big dudes who can run and that's Colson. At 6-2. 238 with long arms, he has a stout and athletic frame. He has some work to do, but there is a very interesting and solid player in there. 

He is ridiculously tough. Dude breaks his hand in a game and never comes out. They wrap it up and he doesn't even miss a play. He gets X-rays at the half, casts it up, and finishes the game. That's the kind of dude I want as my middle linebacker. 

He has yet to work out, so no RAS numbers. 

He is also squeaky clean off the field: 

I am pretty happy with DeJean, Fautanu, and Colson. Plugged holes and got better. 

Detroit and @GunnerBill are now on the clock. 

• Like (+1) 3

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Lions (GunnerBill) are on the clock

With the 61st pick of the 2024 TSW v2.0 Mock Draft the knee cap biting Detroit Lions select:

Christian Haynes, Guard, UConn

This round did not go according to plan for the Lions. I was hoping that one of the bigger bodied receivers made it here; or one of Fiske or Jenkins; or one of Wilson or Cooper. Or a specific edge who I tried unsuccessfully to trade up for but who then went. It basically left me with options of take a safety but I feel like I can address that at pick #73, reaching for a 1T - Smith, Hall, or Orhorhoro - or sticking to my board. If I was just mocking what I think the Lions would do here I'd take Orhorhoro. But I'm lukewarm on him as a prospect and this would be too early for me, so I'm going to stick with my board. Lassiter is my BPA but I took a corner in round 1. My second best available is Christian Haynes, the athletic guard from UConn. He may be slightly undersized for an NFL guard but he is super athletic and in that offense where Ben Johnson likes to get creative with his run game you can get Haynes on the move and he will be a monster blocking in space. The Lions recent offensive improvement is built on their oline and while the have 5 viable starters for 2024 their interior is old and / or banged up. Kevin Zeitler is 34, Graham Glasgow is 31 and Frank Ragnow is held together by sticky tape. Even if Haynes doesn't start right away this is a guy who can be the next generation of that oline. 

@section122 and the Baltimore Ravens are now on the clock. 

• Like (+1) 3

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Ravens (section122) are on the clock

@NewEra and the 49ers are on the clock.

I thought about trying to trade up as I was nervous the last 2 teams might take this guy but they had already selected a CB so I held tight and it paid off.

With the 62nd pick the Ravens select Kamari Lassiter CB UGA.

From a Ravens fan site: https://russellstreetreport.com/2024/03/28/ravens-draft-central/defensive-back-prospects/kamari-lassiter/

Lassiter is an excellent fit with the Ravens on many different fronts. He looks like a Raven with the way he plays the run from the CB position, with an excellent trigger and aggression as well as making form tackles on even bigger ball carriers. He also flies to the football on WR screens. He is intelligent and it keeps him in phase on most type of routes and he has inside out versatility. Georgia deployed him in the slot when facing dangerous weapons there. I don’t think he’s quite as athletic as the Ravens like but that won’t stop them from pulling the trigger on him, I think. The versatility seals it for me as he would enter the CB rotation with Stephens and Humphrey quickly.

• Like (+1) 4

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The 49ers (NewEra) are on the clock

Hey everyone, 

I just wanted to thank you all for your support in moving these drafts along so quickly.  I know I said that if 2.0 ended soon enough, we would possibly have a 3rd round.  While we did move quicker than I expected, I do think I'm going to end the draft after this round.  Honestly, I have a lot of work and other things going on this week that I need to catch up on, so to have a break for the rest of the week before 3.0 would be helpful to me.

The plan will be to have the sign-up sheet for 3.0 launch on Sunday, with the draft starting on Monday.  That puts the Bills poll most likely at Wednesday into Thursday, and the mock draft being done before the real one starts.

Again, I apologize if that ruffles any feathers, and if I could change the thread ownership page over to someone else, I would. 

Thank you all

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 7

13 minutes ago, section122 said:

@NewEra and the 49ers are on the clock.

I thought about trying to trade up as I was nervous the last 2 teams might take this guy but they had already selected a CB so I held tight and it paid off.

With the 62nd pick the Ravens select Kamari Lassiter CB UGA.

From a Ravens fan site: https://russellstreetreport.com/2024/03/28/ravens-draft-central/defensive-back-prospects/kamari-lassiter/

Lassiter is an excellent fit with the Ravens on many different fronts. He looks like a Raven with the way he plays the run from the CB position, with an excellent trigger and aggression as well as making form tackles on even bigger ball carriers. He also flies to the football on WR screens. He is intelligent and it keeps him in phase on most type of routes and he has inside out versatility. Georgia deployed him in the slot when facing dangerous weapons there. I don’t think he’s quite as athletic as the Ravens like but that won’t stop them from pulling the trigger on him, I think. The versatility seals it for me as he would enter the CB rotation with Stephens and Humphrey quickly.

I considered him and a WR hard for GB, but need won out there. 

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Hey everyone, 

I just wanted to thank you all for your support in moving these drafts along so quickly.  I know I said that if 2.0 ended soon enough, we would possibly have a 3rd round.  While we did move quicker than I expected, I do think I'm going to end the draft after this round.  Honestly, I have a lot of work and other things going on this week that I need to catch up on, so to have a break for the rest of the week before 3.0 would be helpful to me.

The plan will be to have the sign-up sheet for 3.0 launch on Sunday, with the draft starting on Monday.  That puts the Bills poll most likely at Wednesday into Thursday, and the mock draft being done before the real one starts.

Again, I apologize if that ruffles any feathers, and if I could change the thread ownership page over to someone else, I would. 

Thank you all

Just appreciative of the fact that you put these together at all! They're always fun, and they always help me learn about the draft needs of other teams. It's fun to put on my "GM hat" and try to think strategically, make trades, etc.

To be honest, I think that by round three of these things, there start to be diminishing returns anyway. For all but the most ardent few draftniks, the knowledge about the prospects tends to be reduced, the interest from the spectators seems to wain, and it seems to take a real effort to limp to the finish line by the end of the round.

Thanks as always for doing these, and thanks to @section122 for his hard work and to all the fellow drafters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

And I nearly took him too. If I was the GM of the Lions for real I'd move Brian Branch to safety full time and take Lassiter and if he plays mainly nickel as a rookie with Carlton Davis and my 1st round pick Kool-Aid outside then so be it. But these things are always a balance between what you would do and something you think it is realistic for the team to do and I don't get any sense they have an appetite to move Branch who they basically used in the Nick Saban "star" role he played in college last year. So I went with my next guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I was going to send a trade request to you to try and dissuade you but ultimately didn't want to hold up the draft.

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And I nearly took him too. If I was the GM of the Lions for real I'd move Brian Branch to safety full time and take Lassiter and if he plays mainly nickel as a rookie with Carlton Davis and my 1st round pick Kool-Aid outside then so be it. But these things are always a balance between what you would do and something you think it is realistic for the team to do and I don't get any sense they have an appetite to move Branch who they basically used in the Nick Saban "star" role he played in college last year. So I went with my next guy. 

I almost "accidently" posted my pick before yours to try and dissuade you but that would have been dirty pool lol.  I knew from the first mock you liked Lassiter a lot and I think the value is there for the Lions to double dip so I was more than a little worried you would do just that.

• Like (+1) 1

The 49er select Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky.

We can’t keep both Deebo and Aiyuk long term and we’ve decided that signing Brandon Aiyuk long term is our play and will move on from Deebo Samuel after this season.  We’ll save 10m in cap and will have his younger and not as injury prone replacement on the roster.  Corley is the perfect replacement 

@HappyDaysis on the clock

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Chiefs (HappyDays) are on the clock

With the 64th pick, the Kansas City Chiefs select Ja'Lynn Polk, WR, Washington.

This one is kind of a no brainer for us. With MVS getting cut and Rashee Rice's legal troubles our WR corps is possibly the worst in the league. Polk slots in as a true outside WR that can win vertically and make contested catches. He also projects as an excellent run blocker which is something we value. Polk might not have the suddenness to consistently beat man coverage early in his career but we are seeing mostly zone looks anyways.

@Virgil

• Like (+1) 3