Why does Beane get a pass?

5 hours ago, Utah John said:

Beane assembled the team that was poised to win the Super Bowl in the 13 seconds season.  It isn't his fault the coaches choked.  

Beane drafted Josh Allen, and for that he deserves credit.  

Most say we wouldn't be winning without Allen.  

Stop and reflect on that before reading further. 

... the moment that the topic involves Beane not doing such a great job otherwise, he gets defended. 

We can't have it both ways.  

This team wins because of Allen.  We lose in the playoffs because no other player routinely or consistently steps up then.  

We've had better or at least comparable rosters in the past during the drought years, we've never had more than an average QB and often not even that.  

Coaching is obviously implicated as well.  

17 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

Defense line draft picks that never pan out

Defense tackle signings that are not good enough

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Star contract

Just curious why he is so highly regarded when these issues have come to roost fully

He gets a "pass" because he's the best Bills GM since 90's Bill Polian.

34 minutes ago, Nuncha said:

I seem to remember this team not making the post season for SEVENTEEN seasons before Beane arrived.  Let's throw HIM under the bus.  Please.

The fact that he drafted several players that did not become all pros just ruins it for me.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He gets a "pass" because he's the best Bills GM since 90's Bill Polian.

The fact that he drafted several players that did not become all pros just ruins it for me.

Is he though? 

I bet Doug Whaley would have been better with Josh.

Whaley built the team that broke the drought. Without Josh.

Polian at least made Superbowls.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Is he though? 

He did what? McDermott did that. Whaley was kept around because he had all the scouting for the upcoming draft. You don't get rid of any GM before a draft.

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Some of us did not like the 2022 offseason at the time and it has proven to be pretty much an unmitigated disaster:

Free Agent signings:

Jordan Phillips - $5m

Tim Settle - $9m

Daquan Jones - $14m

Von Miller - $120m

Roger Saffold - $6.25m

Ryan Bates - $17m

OJ Howard - $3.5m

Jameson Crowder - $2m

Extension:

Stefon Diggs - $96m

First round pick:

Kaiir Elam

I know he had some decent success with some of his later picks - Cook, Bernard, Benford - but it is by any standards a bit of a disaster of an offseason.

Mixed bag I’d say…overall it’s bad but ‘unmitigated disaster’ is a stretch imo.

They got 5 current starters all in the good-great range that year (shakir,cook,Bernard,benford,Daquan jones)

von is complicated, if he had underwhelmed his whole time here I’d put 100% of the blame on beane but von was an absolute beast pre injury.  Maybe he bounces back a bit, time will tell.  Tre was virtually useless the season after his knee injury and looked exponentially better the season after that 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Is he though? 

Doug Whaley is so great he's doing what today?  Ok enough said.

• Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Is he though? 

Oh buddy, you were doing so well too. I didn’t agree with you but at least it seemed like you had some thought and logic behind your earlier posts. Then you go and say this, and now you’ve lost 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Logic said:

The Bills have won the 2nd most games in the league since 2020.

They've won four straight division titles.

The only possible reason to say he "deserves" criticism is because they haven't won a title. But if that's the case, then 31 GMs every single year deserve criticism.

Looking at moves in a vacuum for any GM across the league, you're going to see some moves that worked and some that didn't. No GM is immune to mistakes. But looking at the total output and production of a team gives you a sense of what kind of job the team's architect has done. The fact remains that only the Chiefs have won more games than the Bills since 2020, that they've won their division four years in a row, and that they are contenders year in and year out.

You want perfection? Go watch a Kurosawa film or listen to a Betthoven sonata. 

Beane is a very good GM.

P.S. Brandon Beane DOES receive criticism, and if you don't see it, then you're not looking in the right places. Go turn on ESPN, Fox Sports 1, or listen to any drive time football radio show, and you'll hear scores of criticism of Beane and his Bills. Heck, the buzziest phrase in football the past two season has been "the Bills window is closed".

If you're angry at Brandon Beane and want to criticize him, then just say that. Don't manufacture an immunity to criticism that he does not actually possess.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Best reply of the off season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree there. I think personnel, not coaching is the bigger contributor.

Then that would be on the guy that asked Beane for those defensive players, provided McDermott has some say in who he wants, which we can rightly assume he does…, again McDermott running back the same soft zone / contain defense annually, with no wrinkles in it for the post season has been the elephant in the room, not saying there are other personnel/ structural issues, but it is the predominant one. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Then that would be on the guy that asked Beane for those defensive players, provided McDermott has some say in who he wants, which we can rightly assume he does…, again McDermott running back the same soft zone / contain defense annually, with no wrinkles in it for the post season has been the elephant in the room, not saying there are other personnel/ structural issues, but it is the predominant one. 

I completely disagree. The predominant issue is that we have spent too much on too little production in FA and despite Beane having an overall decent draft record he hasn't found elite players beyond Josh and in big moments it is the Jimmys and the Joes not the Xs and the Os that win football games. 

18 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Josh Allen. 4 straight division titles after two decades in the doldrums…

After 20 years of nothing, I guess division titles are a success. Regular season success means little in the long run. As I posted in another thread outside of Allen, this team lacks a lot of elite talent. That's on Beane. 

1 minute ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Dallas and Miami for starters

Both are like the Bills. Great regular season teams but can't get over the hump in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Ah, yes. I wish Tom Donahoe was GM again. That guy really knew how to put a roster together.

I think the rosters Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron (Marv Levy was figurehead GM during a couple of those years) built between 2006 and 2009 were infinitely superior to Beane's  2024 roster:   "Tentative Trent" Edwards ... Leodis McKelvin ... Robert Royal ... Derrick Dockery ... Josh Reed ... Langston Walker ...  Ryan Denney. 

46 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Is he though? 

Anybody else getting a whiff of troll stink???

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think the rosters Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron (Marv Levy was figurehead GM during a couple of those years) built between 2006 and 2009 were infinitely superior to Beane's  2024 roster:   "Tentative Trent" Edwards ... Leodis McKelvin ... Robert Royal ... Derrick Dockery ... Josh Reed ... Langston Walker ...  Ryan Denney. 

Anybody else getting a whiff of troll stink???

It's not troll at all. Don't make me do all kinds of research to show that basically we spent more on big contracts under Beane with little production than anyone.

And the whole point of free agents is they are a known quantity. 

You want to argue draft is a crapshoot ok. 

But these free agents deals are the way of the leveon bell signing.

So why does he get a pass? Why are the homers so mad I pointed out some failures? 

This makes the Mario Williams deal look like a home run.

I'd love to eat crow here. I hope he totally just seahawked the Texans Russel Wilson style with the diggs move, but thats pretty unlikely.

Edited by Sharky7337

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

Nobody can fairly rank the 2024 Bills compared to the rest of the NFL or the 2020 Bills because the 2024 roster is not close to being complete.  

How about Kincaid?   Did you forget about him or did you categorically exclude TEs because the Bills didn't have a good one in 2020?  How about Torrence, McGovern, and Brown?   The OL isn't a flashy unit but if a team doesn't have a good one, its offense is going to be significantly diminished no matter how good the skilled players are.   Beane has built one good enough to allow the Bills to run well, even on third and short or in the red zone, something that the Bills in 2020 couldn't do very well.

I forgot because it was a midnight post.

Even adding in TE’s 2020 clears by a mile. 

34 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

It's not troll at all. Don't make me do all kinds of research to show that basically we spent more on big contracts under Beane with little production than anyone.

And the whole point of free agents is they are a known quantity. 

You want to argue draft is a crapshoot ok. 

But these free agents deals are the way of the leveon bell signing.

So why does he get a pass? Why are the homers so mad I pointed out some failures? 

This makes the Mario Williams deal look like a home run.

I'd love to eat crow here. I hope he totally just seahawked the Texans Russel Wilson style with the diggs move, but thats pretty unlikely.

The Mario Williams deal WAS a homerun. 

Jesus

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

Is he though? 

Is that you Doug?  Or perhaps we have found the secret identity of Tyler Dunne on this board.