Need maybe two things in this draft

In all the wailing and gnashing of teeth this off-season, the reality is we really have just two “needs” right now:  WR and S.  And even safety is questionable given Edward’s coming on board.  

I tend to believe Beane when he talks.  And he said the roster now is not what it will be in September.  He also said the team needs to get more explosive.  So I look for either a big move up to get one of the top 3 WRs, or a smaller move up in around 1 to get a kid that can take the roof off with speed.  Then maybe a S, maybe a quick edge guy.  Maybe a big RB late.  But whomever will be a guy with however Beane wants to define explosive.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I think the media is over-blowing and hyping our needs way more than what we actually need.

Its the NFL, hype is their life blood, without the hype the nfl is just another pro sport that is only exciting some of the time, just like the rest of them. 

I would say we have other needs, though they are more depth than anything.

We could use another EDGE rusher. Some CB help. And the RB room does need at least 2 more bodies. One for RB2 and another to compete for the PS with Evans and take preseason reps. I would even say Punter is still upgradable as well. 

But roster wise I think we are sitting pretty much when Beane traditionally likes to be. No huge holes (aside from WR) and lets him take the best available bon his board.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I think the media is over-blowing and hyping our needs way more than what we actually need.

Completely agree with this.

Set at QB, TE and OL.. and honestly, I’m tired of podcasters whining about McGovern at C.  He translates well there and can someone remind me why we wouldn’t trust Aaron Kromer with his vision for this OL?  They like Van Demark and Anderson as depth guys who have been in the system and just signed La’el Collins.

We have RB1 & RB2 and can find a RB3, or upgrade at RB2 whenever.

Defense looks fine.  Not great. Not bad.  DL hinges on Von being something more than a body, linebacker looks great.. corner room starters are very good, Elam as depth and we have adequate Safeties. 

WR is the glaring hole.. need to upgrade the talent level and do that twice.  Two draft picks or a pick and a vet.  However they attack it.. the major focus needs to be there. 

Take care of that and we can start looking at upgrading rotational DT & DE and/or adding to the S, RB & DB room. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Oline depth would be nice. Edge rusher would be good. Receiver, obviously. Maybe Safety. I'm not really concerned with safety, but it wouldn't be bad to bring in a young guy to develop.

I really think Receiver is the only hole. Maybe edge rusher but a lot depends on how impactful Von Miller will be. We don't have a consistent sack producer unless he gets back to form.

But this team needs more elite game wreckers. Draft players who can become that (physical traits with high ceilings even if the floor is low). The Bills have had a good team for awhile now, but they lack the elite guys who can take over a game.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Sweats said:

What annoys me is the this notion of a #1 receiver. The Chiefs won the last two championships without much at receiver but a TE who was a threat. The Niners have a #1 receiver who is a slot guy and is hurt a-lot. The Patriots won all those years without a real #1 and the time that they had one in Randy Moss they lost to the Giants. The Eagles won one with a backup QB and Zach Ertz. 

I think it is just an overrated notion that we need a big X or whatever. Erhardt-perkins doesn’t even really have these traditional receiver positions built in. It’s about concepts and you have an outside guy and an inside guy. In trips you have an outside guy, and inside guy and a middle guy and they run different routes depending on the concept called and the coverage. 

We just need good players who can run routes and be where they are supposed to be. If you can get a game breaker who the defense has to double, thats amazing. 

How many true #1s are there in the league anyway? Justin Jefferson, Tyreek Hill, Ja’Marr Chase…CeeDee Lamb and Amon Ra St. Brown probably but they are really slot players. Davante Adams probably, but he is slowing down as is Cooper Kupp and I need to see Nacua repeat this year before I annoint him. Deebo, but he is a slot/gadget guy. This notion that you need a true number 1 is a myth. There are like 5-6 teams in the league with true #1 receivers imo. 

Just give your all world QB weapons that are reliable, catch the football, and play within the system. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

Oline depth would be nice. Edge rusher would be good. Receiver, obviously. Maybe Safety. I'm not really concerned with safety, but it wouldn't be bad to bring in a young guy to develop.

I really think Receiver is the only hole. Maybe edge rusher but a lot depends on how impactful Von Miller will be. We don't have a consistent sack producer unless he gets back to form.

But this team needs more elite game wreckers. Draft players who can become that. The Bills have had a good team for awhile now, but they lack the elite guys who can take over a game.

Agreed.  That’s why I wouldn’t be surprised to see Beane trade a ton of picks to get a guy at WR they see as elite.

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

I would say we have other needs, though they are more depth than anything.

We could use another EDGE rusher. Some CB help. And the RB room does need at least 2 more bodies. One for RB2 and another to compete for the PS with Evans and take preseason reps. I would even say Punter is still upgradable as well. 

But roster wise I think we are sitting pretty much when Beane traditionally likes to be. No huge holes (aside from WR) and lets him take the best available bon his board.

Buffalo has the following picks in 2024 - 

28, 60, 128, 133, 144, 160, 163, 200 or 204, and 248.

I don't expect them to draft all of them - but i would think 6-7 picks this year.  Use some to move around as add-ons in a deal to move up.  

I'd put the needs at - 

WR - Probably 2.  I don't think they need to double dip in the first 2 rounds.

OL - 2 of our current starters are on rookie deals, but its always smart to invest in this position group because it keeps your QB upright, and physical defensive lines have given us issues come playoff time.  Just continue to add here every year.  

DT - Austin Johnson fills the settle role, but they need a younger player under contract in this rotation at 3T.  

DE - Depends if Miller ever becomes a useful player again, and what you think of Toohill and Jonathan.  Could be a target in the 2nd.

CB - Losing dane and Tre.  We've had some success with later round picks here and I'd expect 1 or 2 this season.  In the past you had benford/elam/jackson so the late round picks had their work cut out for them - but with the depth of ingram and lewis, rookies can definitely make this team. 

S - Like the guys they grabbed, but middle rounds can find some pretty good players.  Depth here is pretty meh. 

• Like (+1) 3

I think Edge is our 2nd biggest need.  This is what I'd like to see:

28 wr

45 wr - trade up from 60 using a 4th and get your next favorite wr

next 7 picks, not in this order

DE (2)

DL (1)

S (1)

RB (1)

LB (1)

OL (1)

• Like (+1) 1

Besides the obvious need at WR, I'm hoping for potential depth picks at Edge, Interior OL (I don't think there's a roster spot for a tackle with our current depth already there unless a great one falls to us), Depth at DT, Running Back, Depth at Safety and a late corner in case Elam doesn't develop further.

Edited by 34-78-83

Needs:

WR

S

DT - A lot of one year deals on the team.  It would be great to get rookies some experience so they can step up next year

DE - The jury is still out on how Von can bounce back.  That would leave just Groot and AJ

OG/C - Whether McGovern is going C or not, we want more depth there.  I'd love a starting C, and keep the rest of the line as it was last year.

LB - We really needed better LB depth last year, and it's not crazy to think we wouldn't need it again

RB - We can also fill this in FA, but Cook still has ball security issues and we like to rotate. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

What annoys me is the this notion of a #1 receiver. The Chiefs won the last two championships without much at receiver but a TE who was a threat. The Niners have a #1 receiver who is a slot guy and is hurt a-lot. The Patriots won all those years without a real #1 and the time that they had one in Randy Moss they lost to the Giants. The Eagles won one with a backup QB and Zach Ertz. 

I think it is just an overrated notion that we need a big X or whatever. Erhardt-perkins doesn’t even really have these traditional receiver positions built in. It’s about concepts and you have an outside guy and an inside guy. In trips you have an outside guy, and inside guy and a middle guy and they run different routes depending on the concept called and the coverage. 

We just need good players who can run routes and be where they are supposed to be. If you can get a game breaker who the defense has to double, thats amazing. 

How many true #1s are there in the league anyway? Justin Jefferson, Tyreek Hill, Ja’Marr Chase…CeeDee Lamb and Amon Ra St. Brown probably but they are really slot players. Davante Adams probably, but he is slowing down as is Cooper Kupp and I need to see Nacua repeat this year before I annoint him. Deebo, but he is a slot/gadget guy. This notion that you need a true number 1 is a myth. There are like 5-6 teams in the league with true #1 receivers imo. 

Just give your all world QB weapons that are reliable, catch the football, and play within the system. 

I wouldn't call this a ringing endorsement of your argument given it took a miracle reception by David Tyree to upset the Patriots and ruin their almost perfect season.

• Like (+1) 1

Their true needs appear to be WR, DE, and S. 

Likeliest imho is a WR in round one after a modest trade up or at 28, then a DE or BPA at 60, before addressing S in round 4. Would not mind a S like Bullard if there at 60 and then a DE like Kamara if there in round 4.

But who knows, maybe Beane has that Tre White money coming in June reserved for a vet S or DE with whom he already has a handshake deal…

• Like (+1) 1

Immediate need is WR 

Could use upgrade this season, but serviceable is Safety

OL and DL both could use depth 

Boundary CB may need to be addressed if Elam isn't up to task 

DE needs someone to groom 

Not in bad shape, but I wouldn't give up too many picks and ignore those other needs

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

I motioned in another thread. it's not our needs that concerns me, it's the lack of elite players and gamechangers. I see the rest of the AFC leaders have several elite players in key positions. We have Josh and Milano, and that's it. I know Josh counts ten time more than other players, but we have good and competent players in other key positions, but not true difference makers. It's those players, maybe a play or two at crucial times in crucial games that make a SB champion. I see us as well behind several other AFC teams right now. 

• Agree 1