Diggs traded to Texans for picks

38 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I believe (maybe hope is a better word) that this is a classic case of taking one step back to more easily take two steps forward.  If ever there was a WR draft that made this decision easier this year is it.

Yes on paper they are not as good.  Without any of the drama, he no longer threatens a defense deep.  He is paid as a top 5 wr.  That he is no longer.  His targets were going to go down this year.  Now how would Diggs respond to a drop in his targets for the betterment of the team?  Its alot of small things that adds up to doing it now.  Bring in some younger guys and a rookie or 2 and I think the offense can be as good or better than last year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, finn said:

He did get a ton of targets, though. Maybe he didn't like the play designs. Or maybe he was in denial that his skills were sharply declining across the board. You have to be wise to accept that and not blame others. Diggs is anything but wise. 

I, for one, will not miss WR screens to Diggs where he stutter steps backwards for no reason and gains 3 yards. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I, for one, will not miss WR screens to Diggs where he stutter steps backwards for no reason and gains 3 yards. 

I didn't understand those play calls either.  They felt like they were designed for someone else.  You should not throw a WR screen to a WR who doesn't like taking hits.  

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I didn't understand those play calls either.  They felt like they were designed for someone else.  You should not throw a WR screen to a WR who doesn't like taking hits.  

They were clearly “we can’t get Diggs the ball enough traditionally so let’s manufacture touches so he doesn’t get mad” play calls. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 2

Everyone wonder what happened to Diggs the 2nd half of the season?  He shut it down when we hit 5-5, he wasn't going to go all out for a possibly non playoff team.

Brady also made it a team thing, vs. Appeasing a single WR.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan

Do we have anymore updates on Bills wishing him well?

I know Dawkins has.  Former Bill, Cole Beasley has.  

I do see Hamlin as, maybe, the only current Bill commenting on Diggs farewell IG post (in contrast to many of them commenting on Gabe’s)

Anyone else..

Thought maybe we’d see something from Gabe now being AFC South rivals. 

Seems like crickets.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

I enjoyed Diggs' time here but am glad he's gone.  It's been a while in coming.  Thanks for posting, this story doesn't surprise me.

I think Diggs wants to win and probably realizes his career is getting closer to winding down.  I think he took it on himself to challenge Josh on his bad habits and probably got tired of it against Cinci and perhaps also sick of McD.  Last season everyone, especially Josh,  got sick of Diggs' approach.  I definitely felt Josh was ignoring Diggs on the field when his stats were tanking. 

I love Josh but let's be real, he's very stubborn as a QB.  Doesn't always go through all his reads preferring to force the ball and God help him he throws the wide open check-down.  Obviously he's proven capable in certain games during Dorsey's time when they tried to force him to be more of a pocket QB.  But he chooses not to see the entire field regularly.

What worries me the most from this story and situation is maybe no one's holding Josh accountable anymore, not even Josh himself.  That may be the biggest window closure to the Super Bowl.

You know, there are ways to exorcise your spleen, and there are ways to hold a guy accountable in a meaningful and effective way.

When a guy is really down on himself at the end of the game, if you say something to him that leads to the response "it's only one ***** game!" and a wave-off, I think it's a safe bet you're doing the former - taking a shot, to vent your own spleen.   

Effectively holding a guy accountable does not look like that.

No one in that locker room, including Josh, including the stream of players Graham reports as coming up to give Josh encouragement, thought Josh played a good enough game.  He also targeted Diggs 13 times for 103 yds, and one of his interceptions was on a target to Diggs (4 on the year targeting Diggs, 6 targeting Davis).  And we still took the game to overtime, where if we hadn't given up a punt return TD maybe we could have won it.

Edited by Beck Water

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If he even catches it. Feels like there was a 50% completion percentage on those plays.

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Oh, Jeesh.  Made me look, and I wish I hadn't.  Nothing against Beasley welcoming Diggs to Texas or praising him as a hard workin 'Dog' 

Dawkins "Till next time" but that look in the 4th picture he chose!!!!! 

Do we ultimately know whether it was Diggs or the Texans that pushed the restructure of his deal so that he’s a FA after this season?  Reason I ask is there’s a lot of speculation that Diggs is gone b/c of his relationship with Josh, his potential decline in skills, etc.  But did the move primarily come down to what Diggs wants from a contract perspective versus what the Bills thought was appropriate?  For instance, the Texans must have known this tidbit when they traded for him, and been willing to give up a future 2nd round pick for a 1-year rental, right?

8 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Do we ultimately know whether it was Diggs or the Texans that pushed the restructure of his deal so that he’s a FA after this season?  Reason I ask is there’s a lot of speculation that Diggs is gone b/c of his relationship with Josh, his potential decline in skills, etc.  But did the move primarily come down to what Diggs wants from a contract perspective versus what the Bills thought was appropriate?  For instance, the Texans must have known this tidbit when they traded for him, and been willing to give up a future 2nd round pick for a 1-year rental, right?

I don't think they were, which is hilarious.  Either way, this trade looks a lot better now

I'm surprised we got more than a 4th given it's a 1 year rental and he probably signs with Dallas 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Vomit 1

It is tough/impossible to call the Bills the 'winner' here.

It seems like Diggs might have had them backed into a corner though, and they had little choice. It seems he started pouting somewhere towards the end of the 2022 season. The Bills figured they could make everything better through the offseason, and last season, but it seems to have never worked out. This year, he would have probably been a distraction and/or not given full effort, and probably let the Bills know that.

Its a net-negative for the Bills though. It is a drought-era WR room right now. They had to eat feces on a $31 cap hit. Along with all the other departures of team captains and pro-bowlers, this is really going to test the sustainability of the "process" here as well as Josh Allen's ability, commitment, and leadership. It kind of sails outside of the Bills being a powerhouse, and more into the seas of the unknown (and there is a hurricane Terry looming somewhere out there)

I think Beane has done a lot of great things here. However, the combination of the Diggs extension, Von Miller signing, and Knox extension have really hurt.

The good news is, 2025 looks to promise a ton of cap space. If they can land 3-4 decent regular contributors in this draft class out of 10 picks (and UDFA), and hit on 2-3 more next year, and make some good signings, they could be right back as a Superbowl front-runner with Allen and the younger pieces.  That would indicate they are more of the ilk of Baltimore, Phily, SF, LA Rams, as opposed to another flash in the moment-in-the-sun recent franchise successes like Carolina, Atlanta, or 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I don't think they were, which is hilarious.  Either way, this trade looks a lot better now

I'm surprised we got more than a 4th given it's a 1 year rental and he probably signs with Dallas 

It doesn't look a lot better. This WR group is a lot worse now.  I hope Diggs not only excels in Houston but they go to the Super Bowl.  It's only cause of fans like you and others that always turn on a guy as soon as he leaves town. 

51 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I do see Hamlin as, maybe, the only current Bill commenting on Diggs farewell IG post (in contrast to many of them commenting on Gabe’s)

Anyone else..

Thought maybe we’d see something from Gabe now being AFC South rivals. 

Seems like crickets.  

The silence speaks volumes.

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Maybe Diggs benefits from teams scared of Josh Allen? A lot of 2 deep vs Josh. A lot of LB’s spying Josh.

Diggs gets the best CB but teams rarely play man anymore. Especially vs Josh Allen. 

I don't think this was correct last season.  It was correct in 2020 and 2021.  I think the Bills saw a lot of man coverage, and a lot of hybrid coverage (1 side man, 1 side zone)

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It doesn't look a lot better. This WR group is a lot worse now.  I hope Diggs not only excels in Houston but they go to the Super Bowl.  It's only cause of fans like you and others that always turn on a guy as soon as he leaves town. 

What are you doing on this board if you’re a Houston fan? And before you say you’re not, you just wrote that you hope they go to the Super Bowl (and not the Bills).  

1 minute ago, Freak-O said:

What are you doing on this board if you’re a Houston fan? And before you say you’re not, you just wrote that you hope they go to the Super Bowl (and not the Bills).  

I'm not a Houston fan at all. I'm just tired of every time a guy leaves the fanbase turns on them and calls the team the go to crap.