TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - Completed

Virgil

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Im up for a couple more hours this evening. If things move ahead of then Ill pick tonight if not I'll pick first thing in the morning UK time. 

Sorry it doesn't speed things along but this almost always happens haha. If we get one more pick before bed I'll message @Virgil my pick and my backup choice.

Pffft....you need to show some more commitment geezer ie - like a Ray Parlour tackle on the edge of the 18 yard box!

With the 19th pick in the 2024 TSW Mock Draft 1.0, the Los Angeles Rams select:

Jer'Zhan Newton, Defensive Tackle, Illinois. 

The Pittsburgh Steelers and @julian are now on the clock.

I'd have taken Latu if he reached this spot and I'd have considered Fautanu too. But I think the guys who can start early at left tackle are gone and there are no other edge rushers worth the pick. So I round back to their need to replace Aaron Donald and it just happens to coincide with the value on the board. Newton is personally my highest graded defensive player and I like his fit in the Rams odd front defense. In his final two years with the Fighting Illini he registered 13 sacks and 22.5 tackles for loss. He is a monster who lives in the backfield and terrorised Big Ten Offensive Lines. 

• Like (+1) 6

With the 20th pick, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Jackson Powers Johnson, IOLOregon 

With the ghosts of Webster, Dawson and Pouncey banging the draft table, the Steelers continue their legacy of great Centers and select the big kid out of Oregon with HOF potential.

The Miami Dolphins and @Doc Brown are now on the clock

• Like (+1) 3

With the 21st pick, the Miami Dolphins select Byron Murphy, DT, Texas.

The offensive line definitely needs to be addressed for this abhorrent franchise but it's hard passing on Byron Murphy in this spot.  He should provide some much needed interior pass rush pop that was lost when Wilkins signed with the Raiders.

The Philadelphia Eagles @HappyDays are on the clock.

• Like (+1) 3

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - The Eagles (HappyDays) are on the clock
5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

With the 21st pick, the Miami Dolphins select Byron Murphy, DT, Texas.

The offensive line definitely needs to be addressed for this abhorrent franchise but it's hard passing on Byron Murphy in this spot.  He should provide some much needed interior pass rush pop that was lost when Wilkins signed with the Raiders.

The Philadelphia Eagles @HappyDays are on the clock.

I think the Dolphins would be ecstatic to have him fall here.  BPA and position of need.  

• Like (+1) 1

With the 22nd pick, the Philadelphia Eagles select Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson. Minnesota @Motorin' is on the clock.

This is a case where BPA and need happen to match up perfectly. Darius Slay and James Bradberry are both on the wrong side of 30. Our secondary was the clear weakness on the team last year.

Wiggins projects as a true #1 island CB at the next level. And with established veterans on the roster his development doesn't have to be rushed.

• Like (+1) 4

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - The Vikings (Motorin') are on the clock
8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is about his range. I actually don't think either Barton or JPJ go before this kind of point. 

which is why i'd def consider a trade back to where they'd be and get a second round pickup this year and a first next year.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

With the 19th pick in the 2024 TSW Mock Draft 1.0, the Los Angeles Rams select:

Jer'Zhan Newton, Defensive Tackle, Illinois. 

The Pittsburgh Steelers and @julian are now on the clock.

I'd have taken Latu if he reached this spot and I'd have considered Fautanu too. But I think the guys who can start early at left tackle are gone and there are no other edge rushers worth the pick. So I round back to their need to replace Aaron Donald and it just happens to coincide with the value on the board. Newton is personally my highest graded defensive player and I like his fit in the Rams odd front defense. In his final two years with the Fighting Illini he registered 13 sacks and 22.5 tackles for loss. He is a monster who lives in the backfield and terrorised Big Ten Offensive Lines. 

In real life, we should expect the Bills to trade this years first and next years two second round picks to trade with the Rams to get this star DT.  

• Shocked 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - The Cowboys (JJGauna') are on the clock

With the 23rd overall pick, the Minnesota Vikings select Darius Robinson, DT, Missouri. 

The Viking have a lot of holes to fill, and spend a lot of their FA on the defensive side of the ball.  Robinson comes in and shores up the defensive line and allows them to add more weapons on offense in this deep draft.  No receiver jumped out of value, so we have time. 

The Cowboys @JJGaunaare on the clock 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Virgil said:

With the 23rd overall pick, the Minnesota Vikings select Darius Robinson, DT, Missouri. 

The Viking have a lot of holes to fill, and spend a lot of their FA on the defensive side of the ball.  Robinson comes in and shores up the defensive line and allows them to add more weapons on offense in this deep draft.  No receiver jumped out of value, so we have time. 

Hopefully, this Diggs trade brings people to the board faster and picks get made quicker😂😂

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Robinson is a nice fit for what they do defensively. He’s versatile and an interesting guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cowboy Nation yeeeeehaaaa!

chris christie jones GIF

With the 24th overall pick, the Dallas Cowboys select J.C. Latham, OT, Alabama!

With plenty of holes to fill the biggest need might be replacing Tyron Smith. Latham has provided solid and consistent play starting the last two years for the Crimson Tide and excels at run blocking. He also grades out as a very good pass blocker. Good enough to earn All SEC first team honors.

His versatility will guarantee him a starting spot if he can’t claim the left tackle job with experience at both tackle and guard. Latham should be their guy from day one.

The Green Bay Packers @mrags are on the clock!

Edited by JJGauna
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - The Packers (mrags) are on the clock
52 minutes ago, boyst said:

Almost need to restart this with the diggs trade 

Just curious...but why? What do you see from that trade that would change the first 23 picks of a no trade mock? IRL, sure the Bills may move up...but his is no trade and the Bills nor Texans have picked yet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Just curious...but why? What do you see from that trade that would change the first 23 picks of a no trade mock? IRL, sure the Bills may move up...but his is no trade and the Bills nor Texans have picked yet. 

i think everyone pushingthe Bills to move up would do it.

i don't want them to move up.

Just now, boyst said:

i think everyone pushingthe Bills to move up would do it.

i don't want them to move up.

I already made a poll and 70% of the voters were against moving up, so we will not trade them up in the draft.  Now, with that being said, that was before the Diggs trade.  I may consider an executive decision in 3.0, depending on how the board falls

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Sorry was in call all morning and got on just after you made the pick... Been catching up on the Diggs trade for the last 45 mins...

Just now, Motorin' said:

Sorry was in call all morning and got on just after you made the pick... Been catching up on the Diggs trade for the last 45 mins...

We traded Diggs?!?!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JJGauna said:

Cowboy Nation yeeeeehaaaa!

chris christie jones GIF

With the 24th overall pick, the Dallas Cowboys select J.C. Latham, OT, Alabama!

With plenty of holes to fill the biggest need might be replacing Tyron Smith. Latham has provided solid and consistent play starting the last two years for the Crimson Tide and excels at run blocking. He also grades out as a very good pass blocker. Good enough to earn All SEC first team honors.

His versatility will guarantee him a starting spot if he can’t claim the left tackle job with experience at both tackle and guard. Latham should be their guy from day one.

The Green Bay Packers @mrags are on the clock!

I think he is going to be a monster. The question is if he can play LT. 

• Agree 1

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

seems like there aren’t many true LTs in this draft, at least early. I haven’t dived in much on the late guys

The offensive line draft is not great in this draft.  There's some solid guys in the middle rounds, but no maulers that I can see so far

• Like (+1) 1

Trading up for the Bills in this version of the draft is irrelevant...the big 4 of MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, and Thomas all went in first 12 picks and I can't imagine Beane really trading up into the top 12 to get a WR in such a rich WR draft.  I think if Beane makes a relevant trade up  it would be for one of those 4 guys and would not be any higher than the back half of the teens based on cost.  

Especially given the cap hits post Diggs trade this year and next, we can't afford to pay a ransom in draft capital to get one guy, we may need those picks to help fill spots due to other cap moves we may need to make to balance the Diggs dead cap space.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I see him as strictly RT (or guard) only. 

Probably right but some of the “experts” think he can move over to the left side. We shall see. He was best tackle on the board so I pulled the trigger even though I kinda wanted to take Graham Barton. The SEC and Jerry factor came into play as well.

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

seems like there aren’t many true LTs in this draft, at least early. I haven’t dived in much on the late guys

Yea lot of RTs. I prefer Mims and Guyton to Latham as guys with longer term LT potential but likely you want both to start both on the right side.

9 minutes ago, JJGauna said:

Probably right but some of the “experts” think he can move over to the left side. We shall see. He was best tackle on the board so I pulled the trigger even though I kinda wanted to take Graham Barton. The SEC and Jerry factor came into play as well.

Dallas need two tackles and a right guard so I see the sense in the pick. I think Tyler Smith from LG to LT is the move there. Let Latham play right or start at guard. 

Latham was always earmarked for LT at Bama and it never happened. Which suggests to me Saban didn't think it was the best place for him. I tend to agree.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

@mragsOne hour left boss.

We've really slowed down today.  I was hoping to post the Poll for the Bills pick by this evening.

Very sorry. Was out running errands. Didn’t think for a second that I’d be up so quickly. I was hoping to watch a few more vids today as well to have a better idea who I wanted. 

so I’ll say this. I haven’t done a ton of research on OL because I thought the Bills were set. But I’m under the impression that the packers need some help there. I really wanted to choose differently but after the videos I’ve seen I changed my mind. 

With the 25th pick, the Green Bay Packers select OT, Amarius Mims Georgia. 

The Tampa Bay Bucs and @H2o are on the clock. 

12 minutes ago, Virgil said:

@mragsOne hour left boss.

We've really slowed down today.  I was hoping to post the Poll for the Bills pick by this evening.

Very sorry for the delay. Leaving town in 2 days and I’ve been running around all day with errands before I leave 

• Like (+1) 1