[Vague Clickbait Title]

I like DeJean a lot and it is in a position of major need, but I am very hesitant in drafting a safety with a 1st round pick.   If I were the decision maker I'd have to be enamored with him and believe that he would be an actual playmaking difference maker. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Breece hall wasn't even a first round pick... And I certainly wouldn't draft him in the first

And the rest of the league didn't

He's more of an impact player than Elam.

12 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

metcalf was a 64th pick. Hall was 36th. Neither one went in the first round. I don't think folks here adamant against taking a WR in the 2nd.

Also, neither one has been a factor in making their team a contender, so despite being very good players, not sure it's a great argument for us to overinvest in one of them.

Better draft a QB then, because there were multiple WRs open on that drive if that's your argument.

Who would you rather have, Metcalf and Hall or Glenn and Elam?

On 3/31/2024 at 9:05 AM, BullBuchanan said:

Oh, that's right, our deep linebacking pool definitely wasn't a key reason Josh was golfing again while other teams were playing for Super Bowls.

Simpson was learning behind absolute studs last year. Now that they let Queen walk, he'll have his shot this year. Meanwhile, Allen will once again be golfing next January if you get your wish and we get a 6th passing option for the offense instead of addressing the primary reason our team is not a serious SB contender.

A key reason? No, probably not. 

The injuries in the D-backfield and the D-line were bigger reasons.

Part of the problem? Yeah, fair enough. Our LB depth were JAGs. As is the LB depth on most teams. 

While I agree the D was the major factor, any team with the amount of injuries we had last year would have had huge problems, as we did.

And there's absolutely ZERO reason whatsoever to think that a WR we choose in the first would be our sixth passing option. Nor to believe that choosing a WR is such a bad decision in the first that it would keep us from being competitive. The idea's ridiculous. On the other hand, if there is some good defender available in the first, picking him might make a ton of sense.

I do think Cooper DeJean is going be a really good to great NFL Player, but I don't think he "needs" to be our pick. If he ends up being our pick because of how the board falls, because of some insane run on WR's, then fine. But if Legette is on the board along with DeJean at the time, I hope they take Legette. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

A key reason? No, probably not. 

The injuries in the D-backfield and the D-line were bigger reasons.

Part of the problem? Yeah, fair enough. Our LB depth were JAGs. As is the LB depth on most teams. 

While I agree the D was the major factor, any team with the amount of injuries we had last year would have had huge problems, as we did.

And there's absolutely ZERO reason whatsoever to think that a WR we choose in the first would be our sixth passing option. Nor to believe that choosing a WR is such a bad decision in the first that it would keep us from being competitive. The idea's ridiculous. On the other hand, if there is some good defender available in the first, picking him might make a ton of sense.

There are 5 reasons currently on the team.

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

There are 5 reasons currently on the team.

Nobody said there weren't five other pass catchers. There are more than that, Diggs, Hollins, Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, Cook and Ty Johnson. That's eight and it's ignoring the ones further back on the depth chart.

You said he'd be "a sixth passing option." 

The question is whether there are five others who will be ahead of the first round draft pick. And that is unlikely, though possible. There's zero reason to think he won't be ahead of one or more of those five. If he is the sixth option, behind five others, it will look like a bad first year for that first rounder.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nobody said there weren't five other pass catchers. There are more than that, Diggs, Hollins, Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, Cook and Ty Johnson. That's eight and it's ignoring the ones further back on the depth chart.

You said he'd be "a sixth passing option." 

The question is whether there are five others who will be ahead of the first round draft pick. And that is unlikely, though possible. There's zero reason to think he won't be ahead of one or more of those five. If he is the sixth option, behind five others, it will look like a bad first year for that first rounder.

I said "a" sixth, not "the" sixth.

The reason I specifically chose that words and not any others, is because I don't see how anyone can believe that we're just another pass catcher away from being a super bowl team. It's not like we had a lack of wide open receivers on the final drive against KC when Allen drilled the ball in the dirt. It's not like one more receiver would have stopped Mahomes from driving the length of the field as time expires to beat us again.

Even if the receiver we draft is elite (huge assumption), what is your pathway for this to be a team that beats Kansas city while we've averaging an allowed points of 35.6 across our last 3 playoff meetings?

At this point, I feel everyone's trying to preemptively prep their brains for the idea that the Bills may not draft a WR with their 1st round pick.

By the end of the season, finding Josh more weapons & drafting a WR was the universal consensus. But as we get closer to the draft, more & more posts are popping up saying "what if we didn't draft a WR after all?"

It feels like people are starting to doubt we'll get a good WR at our spot in the draft, so they're turning their attention elsewhere. And that may be true, but if that's the case, don't expect the Bills offense to be significantly better this year with the WRs currently on the roster.

Sure, they can draft a WR in the 2nd or later, but at that point you'd be lucky to get someone to replicate Gabe's numbers. It'd be nice if we got lucky & found a hidden gem, but I'm sure it'll be slow & steady even getting into the rotation for a while.

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I said "a" sixth, not "the" sixth.

The reason I specifically chose that words and not any others, is because I don't see how anyone can believe that we're just another pass catcher away from being a super bowl team. It's not like we had a lack of wide open receivers on the final drive against KC when Allen drilled the ball in the dirt. It's not like one more receiver would have stopped Mahomes from driving the length of the field as time expires to beat us again.

Even if the receiver we draft is elite (huge assumption), what is your pathway for this to be a team that beats Kansas city while we've averaging an allowed points of 35.6 across our last 3 playoff meetings?

Of course you said "a sixth." We don't know which receiver will be the choice, if receiver is indeed the choice. That lack of specificity requires the indefinite article.

And if that's what you meant, he won't be a sixth, he'll be a ninth option, as I pointed out above. And that's only if you don't include the folks unlikely to make the team.

Well, whatever, beside the point. With the explanation, I see what you meant.

So, letting that go, of course we're not just a receiver away from the Super Bowl. Same can be said of any position. We're also not a safety away, a DE away, a DL away. We're a long, grinding season away, and improvement from most of the players on the roster. Same as every year. 

Oh, and the first two of our last three playoff meetings are at this point irrelevant. Less than a third of our team is the same from thirteen that 2020 loss. Same with Kansas City. They didn't score 35.6 when we played them two months ago. The league has changed since then. Defenses have figured out how to do a much better job against the high-flying Chiefs than they had two years ago. Same with the Bills offense as well.

In 2020, the Chiefs were simply a good deal better. The last two have been one score games. We were a play or two away. One play on defense, or one play on offense. Those were two very close games. There is an extremely realistic pathway to beat KC with a first round receiver, same as there was an extremely realilstic path to beat them in both of the past two playoff games.

BPA at a position of need will be the way to go. With the large number of very good WRs, that could be the smart play.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

At this point, I feel everyone's trying to preemptively prep their brains for the idea that the Bills may not draft a WR with their 1st round pick.

By the end of the season, finding Josh more weapons & drafting a WR was the universal consensus. But as we get closer to the draft, more & more posts are popping up saying "what if we didn't draft a WR after all?"

It feels like people are starting to doubt we'll get a good WR at our spot in the draft, so they're turning their attention elsewhere. And that may be true, but if that's the case, don't expect the Bills offense to be significantly better this year with the WRs currently on the roster.

Sure, they can draft a WR in the 2nd or later, but at that point you'd be lucky to get someone to replicate Gabe's numbers. It'd be nice if we got lucky & found a hidden gem, but I'm sure it'll be slow & steady even getting into the rotation for a while.

Yeah, I think that's right.

People were too focused on WR early. It's the Josh Allen effect. They naturally want help specifically for Josh, every year. He's the best player and the one people identify with. It's a natural thing for fans, but it does make clear thinking harder.

Some people are still there and always will be.

Man, I'd love it if Latu was still there. But I think even if he's generally there in the draft engines right now, he'll be long gone in real life. I think people are under-rating Chop, though. He could be the pick, as could Legette at #28, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/30/2024 at 12:05 PM, finn said:

Beane has plenty of options at safety/corner, including Simmons and Blackmon after June 1 with the Tre White savings. Could be a decent safety available in the second round, too. 

No, I think Beane will draft a pass rusher then trade up in the second to nab a WR he likes, using a fourth-round pick. Then depth picks for DB and OL. 

They will draft BPA as first criteria and then need second as always l, while l quite possibly will trade out of the first. All 4 key round 1 graded WRs will be gone by 14-17. 

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

@BullBuchanan You don't have like it.  It's happening.

It's happening because Beane created a hole where there wasn't one. This is NOT something that should be celebrated. Diggs + a Draft pick wasn't the strongest argument for making this team better, but removing Diggs and replacing him with a late first round rookie, makes this team worse in the short term with 100% certainty.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's happening because Beane created a hole where there wasn't one. This is NOT something that should be celebrated. Diggs + a Draft pick wasn't the strongest argument for making this team better, but removing Diggs and replacing him with a late first round rookie, makes this team worse in the short term with 100% certainty.

I disagree.  Diggs didn't do jack for nearly 13 consecutive weeks to end the season.   He wanted out and the Bills were wanting to move him.  A win for both parties.

The cap numbers are the cap numbers.  Buffalo is about to usher in a premiere rookie at a skill position.  I'm excited.

This is Beane and Brady's new vision for the offense.  The objective seems to be speed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I disagree.  Diggs didn't do jack for nearly 13 consecutive weeks to end the season.   He wanted out and the Bills were wanting to move him.  A win for both parties.

The cap numbers are the cap numbers.  Buffalo is about to usher in a premiere rookie at a skill position.  I'm excited.

This is Beane and Brady's new vision for the offense.  The objective seems to be speed.

Premier? They're gonna be lucky to get the 5th best prospect. They have no pathway to any of the top 3 without giving up 2 firsts and 2 second round picks. Did you like the Sammy Watkins trade, because that'll pale in comparison to what they'll have to give up to get  "a premier prospect". Diggs was already a top 5-7 WR int he NFL.  You're gambling to get someone even better in the late first?|

Great plan.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Premier? They're gonna be lucky to get the 5th best prospect. They have no pathway to any of the top 3 without giving up 2 firsts and 2 second round picks. Did you like the Sammy Watkins trade, because that'll pale in comparison to what they'll have to give up to get  "a premier prospect". Diggs was already a top 5-7 WR int he NFL.  You're gambling to get someone even better in the late first?|

Great plan.

Diggs used to be a top 5 WR in the league.  He's still good, but the tread is getting thin and it seemed he just didn’t have it as the season wore on.

A guy like Troy Franklin or Adonai Mitchell may prove to be the best wideout in this class.  It's deep, as you know.  

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Simon changed the title to [Vague Clickbait Title]
On 4/3/2024 at 12:13 PM, BullBuchanan said:

Great plan.

Could always use the 2nd to get back into the 3rd this year and double dip at WR without moving up.  Need two guys anyway

I don't know what the post title was before it became [vague clickbait title], which ironically I had to click it to see what the subject was.