DeShawn Williams (DT) Expected To Sign With Bills

34 minutes ago, mrags said:

@4merper4mer

so are you saying you want to keep signing guys over the age of 30 and plug them into some of the most physical spots on a football team? 

The argument for more DT help isn’t my issue. We need bodies there. My issue is we went from one of the oldest teams in the league last year, to cutting a lot of aged players and being one of the younger teams just by addition by subtraction. And yet here we are getting older again with a lot of these free agents.
Hollins is over 30

Jones is over 32

Morrow is 28

Williams is 31

Austin Johnson (if he’s even signed I have seen confirmation yet) will be 30 by the time camp starts. 

I’m chomping at the bit to see your list of available 25 year old free agents that have skill sets to contribute and will be on low end contracts/camp fodder like some of the guys above.   I’ll hang up and listen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

if he's an upgrade over Settle and Ford then great.  Little moves like this increased WR as our first pick, so I'm all for DL signings

was more productive than both players combined

Oliver

DaQuan

A.Johnson

D. Williams

Eli Ankou

if Sweat is there at 60, I’d still be very interested.  If not that, one of the LSU DT’s in the 4th, the Baylor DT or Northern Iowa DT on Day 3 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m not upset about the signing. I’m annoyed by the fact that they said they needed to get younger. They cut a bunch of fat. Then they resigned guys that were just as old or older at many of the same positions. 

we went from one of the oldest teams in the league, to one of the youngest after the cuts, back to one of the oldest again. Just annoying. 

it’s not this guy that bothers me. It’s the mindset. And I’m not so sure they take a DT in the draft now personally. I’ll say this, Beane has found a way to fill all the holes on the team and can pick the BPA in the draft now. But it also scares me that we have specific needs at WR, DT, S, C, and I’m not sure they feel the same way. 

Well they’ll draft 2 guys there. If you’re that concerned about the age of our 5th and 6th DTs (being under 31), advocate for Ankou and our 6th round pick over Williams.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Jesus Christ. He played for the Panthers for 1 season… 2023. We’re 7 years removed from McBeane being there… are some of you that clueless? 

You must be new here. Welcome to Two Bills Drive. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

We likely signed him to a 1 year deal, not horrible for a 31 year old rotational DT. 

Carrington and Northern were both draft picks. 

fair enough. but my point was more of a joke that those guys were starters for us who were only realistic depth players. i wish we had a roster full of starters.

41 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just referenced CJ Ah You in another thread 😂

it's amazing that these players were starters, as mentioend above. you have to have capable backups that are not all wordly. 

some less than capable starters survive on their name from the draft or their has-been careers: clowney, von miller, etc.

59 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

John McCargo anyone? 😂

i hired (and then fired) his neice. she was lazy af. runs in the family i guess.

12 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

was more productive than both players combined

Oliver

DaQuan

A.Johnson

D. Williams

Eli Ankou

if Sweat is there at 60, I’d still be very interested.  If not that, one of the LSU DT’s in the 4th, the Baylor DT or Northern Iowa DT on Day 3 

EDGE is a much bigger need right now. Was hoping for Clowney but his price tag was too high

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m chomping at the bit to see your list of available 25 year old free agents that have skill sets to contribute and will be on low end contracts/camp fodder like some of the guys above.   I’ll hang up and listen.

It’s amazing how ridiculous people are over free agency 

8 minutes ago, Process said:

Not sure what McBeane has against drafting DTs in later rounds. Bring in some young bodies with potential. He loves filling in the depth at DT with vets that end up being useless. 

This doesn’t stop them from drafting a DT at any point in the draft 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It’s amazing how ridiculous people are over free agency 

This doesn’t stop them from drafting a DT at any point in the draft 

Thanks. I'm going off of 7 years of history. 

26 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Yeah I’ve already said this multiple times. I don’t have a list. I’m not an nfl GM after all. The point is you can’t come out and say you want to get younger. And then go and pick up guys that are just as old as the ones you e released. 

I’ve also said it at least a dozen times. I don’t care what players are there. If you’re not getting a difference maker, just take an undrafted player that’s hungry, healthy, and driven and hope to get the best out of them. Save the little money you have and try and throw it at the few difference makers that are out there that might actually help you. If the response about this guy is only going to be a 4th or 5th DT anyway; then there’s no reason to spend the little money you have on a vet minimum or more, when you could find a rookie off the street (there will be plenty there after the draft) for less money. 

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well they’ll draft 2 guys there. If you’re that concerned about the age of our 5th and 6th DTs (being under 31), advocate for Ankou and our 6th round pick over Williams.

I don’t believe they will draft 2 at DT. One at best. And it might just be a 6-7th round pick. 

2 hours ago, Whkfc said:

Another older guy

Another reasonable contract . Guys like Phillips won't be back i feel because of his injury's not that he wasn't a good rah rah guy but his body is just done so it makes sense especially given the cap situation to bring in some older guys that still may have something left in the tank .

They can learn a lot about them in OTA's & mini camp too to find out what he looks like going forward . Some of them won't be here when it comes game time but why not kick the tires they may work out . 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

the difference this year vs prior years imo is that we used to way over pay depth type positions and marginal starters, at S, OL (staffold!), and always at DL.  looks like we are packing in more bottom of the pile contracts.

Beane is like a college kid who spent years overdrafting his credit card and now is finally forced to make smart spending decisions. Let's hope it's a long term lesson and not just a short term change out of necessity.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Jesus Christ. He played for the Panthers for 1 season… 2023. We’re 7 years removed from McBeane being there… are some of you that clueless? 

Yes, most here would find a problem with a cancer cure....I can hear it now, "took too long.  Why even bother"

Edited by Dablitzkrieg
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I’m annoyed by the fact that they said they needed to get younger. They cut a bunch of fat. Then they resigned guys that were just as old or older at many of the same positions. 

Cutting the fat was as much about bloated salaries as it was about age. I criticized the DQ signing for being too expensive for an older player. This signing however is probably vet minimum for a roster bubble player. Save your energy for moves that are worth thinking about. This one is a blip on the transaction wire. If it means Beane isn't reaching for a DT in the 1st round, all the better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Cutting the fat was as much about bloated salaries as it was about age. I criticized the DQ signing for being too expensive for an older player. This signing however is probably vet minimum for a roster bubble player. Save your energy for moves that are worth thinking about. This one is a blip on the transaction wire. If it means Beane isn't reaching for a DT in the 1st round, all the better.

I generally agree with this. But again, like I’ve pointed out time and time again. All these “blips” add up. Vet minimum is about double that of rookie minimum. For a guy that’s going to be at best out 4th or 5th DT anyway. Save what little money we have and use it on someone that might actually make a difference.