McDermott is feeling the pressure

1 hour ago, section122 said:

No he didn't. First you are way overestimating how many coaches have won the sb and are still coaching.  Here is what mcd said.

“I think like anything, when you talk about the Bills, whether it’s Josh (Allen), myself, our team, we’ve had so much success,” he said. “What’s left for Josh and for all of us is to take that one more step that we need to take.”

Saying he isn't as good of a coach as Reid is silly.  Reid might go down as one of the top 10 coaches of all time.  Is that really the bar?  

You have reid and mcvay who have won a super bowl in the last 5 years.  So by the bar set by many every single coach in the nfl should be fired.  I posted elsewhere but Harbaugh has a 2 time mvp qb and hasnt had anywhere near the success since he won a sb 10+ years ago.

McDermott is a top 5 coach in the nfl right now period. 5 playoff wins since 2018 is tied for 2nd best in the afc and 5th in the nfl.  If you go to 2020 when Josh became Josh it is tied for 3rd.  

Only a handful of coaches have HOF QBs.

Shanahan is making the SuperBowl with a 7th round draft pick.

McDermott can't win a division round playoff game at home two years in a row with a top 3 QB. 

You must see the difference. 

To put it another way, any of those 31 other coaches wins 9 games with Allen at QB. Many of them win the division.  Some make the SuperBowl. But our HC can't beat KC at home. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

McDermott can't win a division round playoff game at home two years in a row with a top 3 QB. 

To put it another way, any of those 31 other coaches wins 9 games with Allen at QB. Many of them win the division.  Some make the SuperBowl. But our HC can't beat KC at home. 

They both lose to Mahomes. Shanny is just lucky he doesn’t have to play them in the second round. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

we're talking about the guy who's plan included a three way QB competition between rookie Allen, AJ McCarron, and Nathan Peterman? and then actually named Peterman starter? finally cut bait and threw Allen into one of the most talent deficient offenses in recent memory?

that plan?

This is a poor take imo.  

His plan worked out great.  There is no doubt 

1 hour ago, vincec said:

I can’t believe I going to chime in for Jauron here, but what do you think their respective records would look like if we swapped Beane for Levy/Brandon, and Pegula’s deep pockets for Wilson’s? I don’t think they would be quite as different as you may think.

Shoulda coulda woulda…, Jauron never won sh-t, ya can’t play the make believe card, McDermott has Beane and Allen,  so he has been reasonably successful, can’t be argued otherwise,  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Shanahan isn’t playing Mahomes in rd 2 and he’s playing against bum QBs to get to the SB.  

if the bills were in the nfc, I think our conference results would’ve been much better

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They both lose to Mahomes. Shanny is just lucky he doesn’t have to play them in the second round. 

💯
Step Brothers Ryan GIF

Edited by NewEra

20 minutes ago, julian said:

He’s an excellent coach IMO, he turned around a losing culture and with Allen’s help created a winning culture.

The facts are that coaching and the defensive side of the ball have failed badly in the playoffs, as the defensive HC he’s responsible, I hope this year is the 1st year his defense actually gets better in the postseason as opposed to worse and they win a title, I believe it’s possible but the time is now to get it done.

The culture shift is accomplished, the winning culture has been instilled, you either take the next step or move aside.

That's a great argument.. And I too am frustrated with getting stuck in the playoffs. 

Ya you're right we have to get better in the playoffs, get to a SB , but hypothetically, who would be better than McDermott?? That's the part I struggle with as I don't see any upgrades out there. 

Especially if you consider he's basically tied to Beane at the hip and he's a certified top GM

Edited by JerseyBills

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

That's a great argument.. And I too am frustrated with getting stuck in the playoffs. 

Ya you're right we have to get better in the playoffs, get to a SB , but hypothetically, who would be better than McDermott?? That's the part I struggle with as I don't see any upgrades out there. 

Especially if you consider he's basically tied to Beane at the hip and he's a certified top GM

Fair enough, but we have a 1st ballot HOF QB in his prime, McDermott has been with Allen for six seasons, I’ll even say to be fair, 4 season since Allen broke out in 2020, let’s assume 10 more seasons with Allen, do we just sit back and watch the same results over and over until 17 retires ? Or do we do everything we can to try and win a title, which may include rolling the dice on a lesser known coaching candidate or hiring a proven SB winning HC.

At some point you just have to try something different even though there’s never any guarantees IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Speaking for myself, I lost respect for him when he failed to take any ownership of the 13 second meltdown.

“We can just execute better, and that starts with me and goes all the way down,” McDermott said. “I don’t want to get into specifics right now. I’m really proud of the guys and their effort. Obviously [the Chiefs] made a couple of plays down the stretch. So I’ll just leave it at that right now.”

25 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

This is a terrible take.  Nobody has beat kc.  The Bills aren't  lucky enough to play in the opposite conference. 

The Bills have a top 3 qb I absolutely agree and they have lost to the best qb 3 of 4 years and the other guy in the top 3 the other year.  They aren't losing to scrub qbs.  

10 minutes ago, julian said:

Fair enough, but we have a 1st ballot HOF QB in his prime, McDermott has been with Allen for six seasons, I’ll even say to be fair, 4 season since Allen broke out in 2020, let’s assume 10 more seasons with Allen, do we just sit back and watch the same results over and over until 17 retires ? Or do we do everything we can to try and win a title, which may include rolling the dice on a lesser known coaching candidate or hiring a proven SB winning HC.

At some point you just have to try something different even though there’s never any guarantees IMO.

Of those 4 seasons mcvay and reid are the only hcs to win.  So everyone should be fired?

I just came across a crazy stat.  Over the last 10 years there are only 3 hcs still coaching in the nfl that have won a sb.  Pederson, McVay, and Reid.

Past those 10 years you can add Harbaugh, Peyton, Tomlin, and McCarthy.

I wont argue against mcvay or reid they are excellent hcs however the rest of the guys haven't had the success the Bills have since McD took over.

• Like (+1) 2