Is drafting Diggs replacement a priority in this draft?

Virgil

Should the Bills trade up with Diggs gone now?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills trade up with Diggs gone now?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Athletic dropped their updated Mock Draft 2.0.

For whatever it's worth, yet another DE...

28. Buffalo Bills: Darius Robinson, Edge, Missouri

The Bills tried to move up to get one of the top four receivers, but once that didn’t work, they had a deal in place to move down … that also fell through. Moving down would be preferred if the board played out this way. But with the depth of the receiver class, there is no reason to force the pick and take someone who doesn’t fit what the Bills need in an X receiver with speed to get over the top. Instead, they used their pick on another premium position and landed a long, versatile defensive lineman — a selection that had Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane written all over it. The vision is to eventually use Robinson as a starting defensive lineman who can play on either edge or inside at defensive tackle, depending on the situation. As a prospect, Robinson has been compared to Arik Armstead, whom the Bills were in on as a free agent. — Joe Buscaglia

I have a feeling that the high priority to draft a new #1 WR may exist more with the fans than at OBD. Especially given how little future-drafting Beane has done in the past. Still have my sights set on Troy Franklin tho...

That would be very disappointing 

• Agree 3

19 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That would be very disappointing 

It would. Even forget position for a moment I don't think he is even close to a first round talent. He is a positionless workout warrior. I don't care what the testing and the RAS score says. He just wasn't that explosive on tape. 

In terms of somewhat realistic worst case scenarios he is it for me.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It would. Even forget position for a moment I don't think he is even close to a first round talent. He is a positionless workout warrior. I don't care what the testing and the RAS score says. He just wasn't that explosive on tape. 

In terms of somewhat realistic worst case scenarios he is it for me.

If I'm following the Athletic mock, I'd rather they just reach at 28 for any of the WRs that got picked in their 2nd round. Even McConky over Robinson.

Diggs is the only WR on the roster that can be a full time outside WR. Whether they are looking for his replacement or not, finding an outside WR is an absolute must early in this draft. Short term need, long term need, positional value, draft class positional strength. All of the ingredients are there. Beane just needs to do the easy thing and capitalize on it.

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If I'm following the Athletic mock, I'd rather they just reach at 28 for any of the WRs that got picked in their 2nd round. Even McConky over Robinson.

In fairness this was the beat writers for each team doing a mock as if they were GMs. If Joe B was our GM we'd have been relegated to the XFL or whatever it is called these days by now.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Diggs is the only WR on the roster that can be a full time outside WR. Whether they are looking for his replacement or not, finding an outside WR is an absolute must early in this draft. Short term need, long term need, positional value, draft class positional strength. All of the ingredients are there. Beane just needs to do the easy thing and capitalize on it.

Improving boundary WR was a no-brainer 2 years ago. Now it's a 5 alarm fire.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/23/2024 at 1:52 PM, Virgil said:

As we get ready for the draft, and I get ready for the TSW Mock Draft staring next weekend, there's been a lot of conversation about needing to draft a wide receiver early.  While I don't disagree with this, I do wonder what type of receiver we are looking for and what impact will they make on the offense.  Before I can make that decision, there's a few things that need to be considered

• Diggs is under contract with a sizeable hit for this year and next.  We could release him next season, but it would incur a 22 mil dead cap hit and only save us 5 million.  Diggs has also gone on record saying that he will not restructure his contract to help the Bills cap space.
  • If we bring in a capable number one receiver, how does Diggs handle being the number 2 guy?  Emotional support isn't high on his capacities.
  • We are stacked at inside receivers.  Between Shakir, Knox, Kincaid, and Samuel, the slot position is locked up and deep.  
  • How do we even utilize a receiver that's not Diggs or a slot?  My biggest criticism of Brady is that I don't feel like he really took advantage of the mismatches we could have created with two Tight Ends and doesn't scheme players open very well.  McVay is a great example of a coach who gets people like Kupp wide open.  Brady doesn't seem to be able to do that
  • Was Davis' decline due to his ability or playcalling?  To me, it's a little of both.  Davis had some mental blunders in both routes and drops, but he was a big body speed guy, that on paper, most of us would clamor to draft again.  So even if we get another player like Gabe, will we be able to utilize him?
  • Free Agent Wide Receivers in 2025 look rough.  There's isn't a #1 guy that will be available
  • Some mock drafts only have 5 wide receivers going in the first round.  If that's the case, there will be some great talent available in round 2 that is more than capable of becoming WR1

With all that being said, do we need to prioritize a receiver that can become out WR 1, knowing Diggs is here for the next two years, or do we just need another weapon that can compliment what we have?  Even with Davis being MIA in most games, Josh put up good numbers with who we had.  

To me, the secret answer is what Beane did with Samuel.  Samuel is documented to have the 3rd best separation in the NFL on cut routes, something badly needed on this team.  Beane also wanted to bring in Harty for a similar goal.  I think Beane wants quick guys that can create space, that Brandy can use wherever he wants on the field.  

So what receiver, if any, needs to be a priority?  A 6'+ receiver who can eventually take over for Diggs in 2 years?  A burner, like Hill, who we can move around in motion a lot to create mismatches from motion?  

My answer, and I vomit saying this, is best player available.  If that happens to be a receiver that can lineup outside, then okay.  But if there is a difference maker at another position available or a receiver that is only going to be lumped into our slot guys, then I go with the difference maker at another position.  If this draft is so deep at receiver, I might wait and get someone in the mid rounds with the potential of a #1 guy, and if it doesn't work out, we have two more years to draft the right person.  

Here are ESPN's rankings of WR's with a grade of 80 or higher.  Only one player is shorter than 6'.  Quite a few of these guys could easily be there in the second round:

• Marvin Harrison - 94 - 6'3"
  • Malik Nabers - 93 - 6'
  • Rome Odunze - 92 - 6'3"
  • Adonai Mitchell - 90 - 6'2"
  • Brian Thomas Jr - 90 - 6'3"
  • Xavier Legette - 89 - 6'1"
  • Ladd McConkey - 88 - 6'
  • Xavier Worth - 87 - 5'11"
  • Keon Coleman - 87 - 6'3"
  • Troy Franklin - 85 - 6'2"
  • Devontez Walker - 84 - 6'2"
  • Jermaine Burton - 82 - 6'
  • Ricky Pearsall - 6'1"

Excellent post.  

I think that the Bills are at the point where grabbing a real difference maker in the first round regardless of position will pay the biggest dividends in the future, especially when the depth of the WR class means that there will be good WRs available in the second.  I think that Beane's moves in FA suggest that he's leaning that way himself; he's filled the glaring holes so he has the freedom to take somebody he likes best, especially if one of the two centers projected as first rounders happen to fall.

If the Bills don't go WR in the first round, I wouldn't be surprised if they traded up in the second to grab one.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

When and how would you bring in Diggs "next"

I think we should be discussing that.

As I have said. Bills would do well to draft a WR with speed and some of the other qualities somewhere along the first two days

But if they have a shot to gets Diggs some real competition from the draft , they certainly should.

If that speedy x receiver happens to have most all the qualities to take him to 1A ? then , all the better.

I don't understand your question in the context of my post.

I said "But you don't hit the shot you don't take.  Time for the Bills to shoot their shot at WR." and "In my mind, we're not trying to replace Diggs, we're trying to draft a guy who can give us a 1-2 punch WITH Diggs, and who has the potential to develop as a future #1 (not to walk in the door and hit it)."

On 3/24/2024 at 6:27 PM, Beck Water said:

I don't understand your question in the context of my post.

I said "But you don't hit the shot you don't take.  Time for the Bills to shoot their shot at WR." and "In my mind, we're not trying to replace Diggs, we're trying to draft a guy who can give us a 1-2 punch WITH Diggs, and who has the potential to develop as a future #1 (not to walk in the door and hit it)."

Thats exactly what I said

different wordings:D

I'd say looking to the future the answer to your question would be a resounding YES !! Diggs still has some gas left in the tank and will get production in this offense but he's not getting any younger .

He hasn't taken a lot of hits the way he gets down quickly after he makes a catch but still with the as they have said this year has a lot of elite type WR's coming out so it only makes sense to look to the future when it comes to that position and for that fact all positions but this year WR is a top of that list due to the amount of top talent that could be there at the Bills pick !!

Plus Diggs can be a mentor to them to help them assimilate to the NFL game just as Von has helped some of the younger pass rushers he can do the same . 

22 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think an argument can be made to Offensive or defensive line.  

Definitely not Dline, the Ravens and 49ers had one of the best and got held like crazy with zero holding calls. O-Line maybe but WR is still number 2. 

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Definitely not Dline, the Ravens and 49ers had one of the best and got held like crazy with zero holding calls. O-Line maybe but WR is still number 2. 

Yeah, the only reason I'd lean o-line is just because it keeps your shiny expensive QB healthy.  Not to mention the Chiefs just won a super bowl with like no one at WR, and an elite offensive line.  It also has the bonus effect of helping establish a good running game.  Being able to sometimes run the ball effectively is a huge counter for teams built to stop your passing attack. 

I'll also say it is hard to find a recent super bowl team that didn't have a strong defensive line as well though.  Maybe the 2018 patriots?  I wouldn't say it was a particularly bad group though - Guy is solid, Flowers was in a pre-injury prime, Malcolm Brown at the nose, Wise in his 2nd year.  Definitely some talent in that group, and you could do a lot worse.  

2016 Falcons are probably the last mediocre defensive line (and defense) to even make a super bowl.   

On 3/23/2024 at 2:40 PM, appoo said:

How do you think the Bills got Diggs? There’s enough GMs out there who think you can always find WR1s in the first round, that they don’t wanna pay their current WRs. 

I still think stud WRs are well worth paying, and I think you can find them in the trade market and draft. 

Not meaning to sound offensive by any means appoo ,

But who can Bills afford this year , next etc , who can play that X role and usurp Diggs this season or next ?

I dont think Bills have the money for that indulgence

When Diggs is off the books ? Hopefully that option opens up. T spend like we did on Diggs , an immediate 1A

23 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Why not defensive line?  

After this year, we will be back to having minimal depth.  Von could be gone.  I would not be surprised if they went DL if a BPA is there