DE Austin Johnson visiting the Bills today - UPDATE: DaQuan Jones says we got him

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

He has one of the worst PFF grades in the entire NFL. 

Do you know much about him? Are the grades not representative of his play?

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

The only way anyone could be happy with this Free Agency is if they expected literally nothing (as you said). As in, they somehow expected us to field a team of 42 players instead of 53.

We have acquired:

- Curtis Samuel

- A defensive end with one of the worst possible grades you could ever imagine (Johnson)
- A LB whose former teams fans were celebrating him leaving (Morrow)

- A backup center

- Mitch Trubisky

Maybe I missed someone?

We have signed scrap heap players. 

He is not a DE, although he has played it in 34 alignments. He’s a solid backup to Jones with position versatility in a pinch. Given what we saw when Jones got injured last season, we’ve upgraded the depth at a critical spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’d still take Sweat at 60 if there

Classic Spikes post.

"Love the signing! .... wait, that covers a spot that would be designated for someone I'm drooling over? We'll why can't we just have them BOTH?!"

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

He is not a DE, although he has played it in 34 alignments. He’s a solid backup to Jones with position versatility in a pinch. Given what we saw when Jones got injured last season, we’ve upgraded the depth at a critical spot. 

You didn't answer the question. PFF watched every snap of his and ranked him as one of the worst in the entire NFL. And judging by his pitiful contract, there was little market for him outside of a 1 year prove-it deal. 

There is zero evidence that we upgraded depth here, as there is little evidence that he is better than who he replaced.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Wow, are those ever purposely negative characterizations.

I simply write the truth of a situation. If it is positive - like last year - then i write about how happy I am with the improvements we made.

When there is little positive, I write about that as well. 

1 hour ago, Success said:

You left out the players we re-signed.

Re-signing who we already had is important - but it doesnt improve the team. It keeps the team stagnant at that position (which is a good thing if you're re-signing a good player). 

• Dislike 1

29 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s just an expression not to be taken literally. The point is that he has the potential to be a great addition, we were the team that landed him, and I suspect other teams a d their fans may not realize that. 

I know. It's an expression that annoys me

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He'd be a very good backup to DQ, considering the inconsistent garbage we saw from Settle, Ford, Phillips & Joseph.

I thought Joseph was a solid run stuffer. Right when the Bills signed him the run defense up the middle and overall improved from what I remember. He was a nice fill in for DQ’s run defense.

You are right about Settle who’s a complete JAG and Poona Ford was terrible up until the end of the season when he showed a little bit of solid play. 

Jordan Phillips always seems to get hurt when he starts to play well. Wouldn’t actually mind bringing back Phillips if he could be a fringe roster camp body. 

6 hours ago, appoo said:

Not for nothing:

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2013/03/penn_state_football_who_is_aus.html

“Penn State defensive tackle Austin Johnson is a hot name during the second week of the Nittany Lions' spring practice. He's emerged as a candidate to start alongside senior DaQuan Jones on the interior of Penn State's defensive line.”

With those two guys in the middle, maybe they can beat Ohio State this year? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 3/20/2024 at 2:22 PM, papazoid said:

PFF rank #118 of 130 interior defenders (DT's)....not good

#16 Arik Armstead

#44 Ed Oliver

#64 Sebastian Joseph Day

#81   Tim Settle

#118 Austin Johnson

#129 Jordan Phillips

The Bills could sign a backup long-snapper named Alex Falaffigonobonowitz that no-one has ever heard of, and had an incredible blunder in his only snap ever in the NFL, and there would still be fans here talking like “It’s not hard to see that we got better with this move. Great depth. What a solid signing. Beane strikes again”. 

I want whatever LSD these fans put in their morning coffee.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I simply write the truth of a situation. If it is positive - like last year - then i write about how happy I am with the improvements we made.

When there is little positive, I write about that as well. 

The thing is..........last years "positive" "improvement" signings were largely just lipstick.

Latavius Murray, Damien Harris, Leonard Floyd, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, Trent Sherfield, Deonte Harty and Taylor Rapp were out injured or making almost no impact by the playoffs.   Lotta' old, high mileage guys(including running Hyde and Poyer back) who ran out of gas or blew a tire down the stretch,  some "WR's" that had had one "decent" season in 6 and a jabroni in Taylor Rapp who had to learn a new system.

I'm not very impressed with these signings this year either.........but I DO expect Curtis Samuel to actually produce and be an impact player in January.  He's a real NFL playmaker.  Sheffield and Harty were a joke and I said it then.    And I expect Mike Edwards and Austin Johnson to actually play the whole season and likely be on the field doing their thing come playoff time.    The additions definitely skew younger, mid-career and promise to maybe not force the Bills to sign some AJ Klein type off the street to start a playoff game.   

• Like (+1) 5

40 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You didn't answer the question. PFF watched every snap of his and ranked him as one of the worst in the entire NFL. And judging by his pitiful contract, there was little market for him outside of a 1 year prove-it deal. 

There is zero evidence that we upgraded depth here, as there is little evidence that he is better than who he replaced.

The only way I can answer the question is that I put no stock in the PFF ratings. Were his grades based on his play at DE? Not that it matters, really. 

We’ve upgraded the depth at an important position in our defense by signing a guy with experience and position flexibility. He’s not an All Pro, but he fills a role better than anyone we had last year. And the fact there was little market for him is another reason I think it’s a sneaky good signing. We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Sure didn't see all these folks pointing out how this fella couldn't play and it was a bad idea before we signed him.

Maybe I just missed it.

I never gave him a thought before they signed him. Why would I, or anyone else for that matter?

He's just a guy, a backup for DaQuan. This wasn't a major move, he's not a difference maker. Beane doesn't tell me who he's thinking of signing. Are we supposed to talk about every bottom of the roster guy in the league? 

8 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I never gave him a thought before they signed him. Why would I, or anyone else for that matter?

He's just a guy, a backup for DaQuan. This wasn't a major move, he's not a difference maker. Beane doesn't tell me who he's thinking of signing. Are we supposed to talk about every bottom of the roster guy in the league? 

I mean, is he a Superstar? No. Bottom of the roster though? He started all 17 games for the Chargers last season, all 17 games for the Giants in 2021, and started every single game he's played over the past 3 seasons. Starters are the very opposite of "bottom of the roster guys".

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I mean, is he a Superstar? No. Bottom of the roster though? He started all 17 games for the Chargers last season, all 17 games for the Giants in 2021, and started every single game he's played over the past 3 seasons. 

Okay, maybe not bottom of the roster. 

I was replying to someone saying he didn't hear people saying he wasn't good before Beane signed him. Why would anyone be offering opinions on this guy before the signing. It's not like he was some major target we all knew Beane was after. 

He's just a guy! DaQuan's backup, not a big deal.