DE Austin Johnson visiting the Bills today - UPDATE: DaQuan Jones says we got him

16 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I don't think that Armstead visited.  I think that he's a free agent and his wife has ties to the Buffalo area, so someone wrote an article suggesting that he was interested in signing with the Bills.  I don't know that there was anything else to the story.

he had a verbal agreement with the Bills and then chose the Jaguars 

18 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

I’m getting so old I don’t know 90% of these free agents. I think it’s because I stopped playing madden and fantasy football 

The only reason I know who guys like Toohill are is just all the deep dive studying of the draft. Also getting old. 

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Isn't he a 3T?   He played DE in a 3-4 

He's a 1 Tech. DE's in 3-4 are usually bigger bodies. I just think he was a bad fit out there for the Chargers. He's a 4-3 1 Tech in his best situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The only reason I know who guys like Toohill are is just all the deep dive studying of the draft. Also getting old

This is true of everyone, some of us just have more experience at it.

12 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

He's a 1 Tech. DE's in 3-4 are usually bigger bodies. I just think he was a bad fit out there for the Chargers. He's a 4-3 1 Tech in his best situation.

That's what we need. Hope he signs with us.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Know we’re not big fans of PFF on TBD but it’s just interesting to see their opinion--they gave Austin Johnson an overall rating of 45.7 which is very low compared with what I’ve seen with other players. 

By comparison Daquan was an 86.0.  Which is why we paid him $8M per. Calais Campbell at 37 yrs old got an 80.0. That’s why he got $7M last year and will likely be close again.

Not expecting a low cost FA DT to be rated very high but with Johnson getting such a low rating makes me nervous. Jerry Tillery got a 67.7 and $2.75M for one year. Settle a 57.1 and got $3M per for two. Just gives you some comparative analysis so we can be realistic with our expectations (whether or not we agree with PFF). FWIW.

Edited by biggerdaddynj
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Know we’re not big fans of PFF on TBD but it’s just interesting to see their opinion--they gave Austin Johnson an overall rating of 45.7 which is very low compared with what I’ve seen with other players. 

By comparison Daquan was an 86.0.  Which is why we paid him $8M per. Calais Campbell at 37 yrs old got an 80.0. That’s why he got $7M last year and will likely be close again.

Not expecting a low cost FA DT to be rated very high but with Johnson getting such a low rating makes me nervous. Jerry Tillery got a 67.7 and $2.75M for one year. Settle a 57.1 and got $3M per for two. Just gives you some comparative analysis so we can be realistic with our expectations (whether or not we agree with PFF). FWIW.

Well, I'd rather take my chances than pay Settle that. Gabe Hall is probably better.

Edited by nosejob

14 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

He was playing out of position he wasn’t a DT last year he was out of his element playing end. Plus the Chargers defense was a damn mess under Staley 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills defense will be significantly less talented this year. McDermott has his hands full. But that’s his job.

But...less talented than what?

Definitely less talented than last September.  Probably more talented than the D we had in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

If the dude is 315 and plays both DE and DT he could take the role that Basham failed at as well as allow Groot to avoid inside snaps also. 

I think he would be the immediate backup for the 1&3.  Personally I would run a 5-2  with him as the Shade over the Center.  It would allow Von and Groot wide while he,DQ and Oliver collapse the middle

• Awesome! (+1) 1