Jeremiah has us taking a DT at 28 in his latest mock

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The early rounds are about laying the foundation for your team by getting value at premium positions that are hard to fill in free agency.   You have to treat those picks like they have that value.   You want a guy with a potential mid $30M's aav ceiling in round 1.   Round 2 we are talking about mid-$20M's potential now.    These are, statistically, your best chances to get those guys. 

While I agree in principle with your claim that early round draft picks are best spent on high cap value positions, like QB, OL, WR, DL, and CB, I am concerned by your cap valuations in bold. Looks like only franchise QBs and uber-elite WRs and DLs are valid 1st round targets, and we can additionally sprinkle in CBs and OLs in the 2nd round. 

For a long time now, I've admired the way the Ravens and Packers draft. They don't seem too swayed by internal or external perceptions. They seem mostly focused on maximum value in every round, rather than popular perception of positional need, which doesn't always seem immediately strategic. But over time, arbitrarily "winning the draft" on a year-over-year basis will best position a team into a position of strength in the modern salary cap era. Especially when that team already has a franchise QB in place.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

At this point I could see them going any direction. WR, DT, S, C. They are all needs and have to be addressed 

The only thing is most C and Safeties aren't thought to be good value drafting in Round 1. So most teams won't draft them this high unless the player is elite and tbh this year's safety crop has a few good guys but nobody I'd call elite, same goes for Center. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

While I agree in principle with your claim that early round draft picks are best spent on high cap value positions, like QB, OL, WR, DL, and CB, I am concerned by your cap valuations in bold. Looks like only franchise QBs and uber-elite WRs and DLs are valid 1st round targets, and we can additionally sprinkle in CBs and OLs in the 2nd round. 

For a long time now, I've admired the way the Ravens and Packers draft. They don't seem too swayed by internal or external perceptions. They seem mostly focused on maximum value in every round, rather than popular perception of positional need, which doesn't always seem immediately strategic. But over time, arbitrarily "winning the draft" on a year-over-year basis will best position a team into a position of strength in the modern salary cap era. Especially when that team already has a franchise QB in place.  

Franchise QB's are $50M now.

Elite pass rusher, WR, LT are $35M range now.   Which is why I view round 1 as a "ceiling" play.   

I don't subscribe to the "can't go broke making a profit approach" to drafting that the John Butler Bills and current Ravens use.

Lot's of small profits and not much elite talent at key positions.    The Ravens personnel department is very efficient though.........they've been together a long time and do a great job identifying players that fit their schemes.    

Like those Bills they also benefit some defensively by being one of the few 3-4 teams.    That allows them their pick of some good big DL that aren't viewed as favorably by 4-3 teams.    And some cheap, disposable edge rushers.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Elite pass rusher, WR, LT are $35M range now.   Which is why I view round 1 as a "ceiling" play.   

I don't subscribe to the "can't go broke making a profit approach" to drafting that the John Butler Bills and current Ravens use.

Lot's of small profits and not much elite talent at key positions.    The Ravens personnel department is very efficient though.........they've been together a long time and do a great job identifying players that fit their schemes.    

Like those Bills they also benefit some defensively by being one of the few 3-4 teams.    That allows them their pick of some good big DL that aren't viewed as favorably by 4-3 teams.    And some cheap, disposable edge rushers.   

This is a key point.  Being an outlier reduces competition for the type of players you need.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yea was going to say defensively they run a pretty unique scheme as a rule which allows them to value guys somewhat differently. The Ravens have the best personnel operation in the league IMO. I'm not saying DaCosta is the best GM necessarily, but the overall operation is super impressive and buttoned up. You know every team has this gimmicky "play like a Bill" type slogans... but Baltimore is one place where it really means something. I know a Ravens player when I see one. I know what that franchise is, what it values and how it tries to build. 

• Agree 1

Look who got paid this offseason - WR, yes, but DTs and Guards. The Rams just gave 2 above average guards a combined 35m/year. Quality DTs are now well over 20m, pushing to 30.

The game evolves. Interior pass rush is the best way to disrupt today's stud QB's.

There is nothing wrong with taking a DT in the 1st round re: positional value. For a team like us, going DT then WR could make sense with the depth of the class.

I still like WR 1st but it will depend how it all falls. Great WRs regularly come out of the 2nd round. What's the gap between WR 6 and WR 11?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrMaxPower said:

Look who got paid this offseason - WR, yes, but DTs and Guards. The Rams just gave 2 above average guards a combined 35m/year. Quality DTs are now well over 20m, pushing to 30.

The game evolves. Interior pass rush is the best way to disrupt today's stud QB's.

There is nothing wrong with taking a DT in the 1st round re: positional value. For a team like us, going DT then WR could make sense with the depth of the class.

I still like WR 1st but it will depend how it all falls. Great WRs regularly come out of the 2nd round. What's the gap between WR 6 and WR 11?

A lot less speed and less reliable hands 

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Only for Murphy. Not interested in considering any other DT at 28

Newton is just as good and some even have him as better than Murphy. Neither one of them should be available at 28. If one is, we'll have to consider it.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

9 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

This is a key point.  Being an outlier reduces competition for the type of players you need.

Yeah the Steelers have the same kinda' setup and have been able to basically draft for the same defense for almost 40 years now.   

The Bills had that kind of identity advantage until, ironically, the former Steeler Tom Donahoe brought that to and end by hiring Gregg Williams and cutting Ted Washington.    The day Washington got cut literally started the "drought" in motion.   

• Agree 2