Bills have private workout scheduled with WR Troy Franklin

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

He drops the ball way too much, and that was on display at the combine.  I also think he is way too skinny.  To me, he is just a deep threat and I dont want that.  I want a WR who can run the whole route tree.  That was the issue with Davis.

So you wouldn’t be on board with Brian Thomas Jr then?  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

Franklin was the WR I liked at 28 until I saw the first ten split at the combine. That number would have to change significantly for him to be a first round pick in my opinion. 

that first ten yard speed really opens the whole route tree up and can eat up cushion from DB.

be interesting to see what comes from the workout, or if we ever find out.

I used to think this too and then DK Metcalf dropped to the 2nd round.  I never heard of Franklin before so I read his scouting report.  

He's not strong like DK but apparently a good route runner...so physical DB's playing up could give him trouble.  Or maybe he's one of those adrenaline guys who gets that quick step in the game.

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Almost all he does is run vertical.  In terms of what it takes in the NFL, you cant call him a good route runner.  He just doesn't run enough of the route tree.

That's not accurate.  Watch this in its entirety and tell me which route you don't see.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

But Troy runs the entire route tree and if what I've read is true, it was mostly a bad habit of him looking up field before he secured the ball.  That's an easy fix.  

Troy came in 8lbs heavier at his pro day, so perhaps he really was sick at the combine.  

He was my original pick at WR and I would not, at all, be disappointed with this selection.

He has the potential to be the best of this class. 

Yea I’ve watched a lot of Franklin and I didn’t come away feeling his hands were a problem. They aren’t as good as others in the class but his explosiveness - what I think many of us feel our offense lacks - sets him apart.

Just an example of how consistently explosive Franklin was this season. He had a 30+ yard reception in 12 of 13 games. That 13th game he was hurt in the second quarter and gutted out the rest of that Pac12 championship game. Nabers and Odunze were tied for second at 10 games a piece. He also had 7 games with a 40+ yard receptions which was more than Nabers and tied with Odunze in 2 less games. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

Franklin is really good. Too many are all worked up because of his combine 

The combine is a colossal waste of time and an unnecessary injury risk, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm happy that I don't have to make these decisions. All of these guys have unreal college film, but they all do every year. Have you ever seen Kadarius Toney's college highlights? He looked like a cross between Tyreek Hill and Barry Sanders. Now he's a punchline.

43 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Anquan Boldin, George Pickens dropped in the draft because of the "can't separate" crap. Coleman makes plays!! He "Moss" DBs. He returns punts. Played at Mich. St, cold climate. Think Drake London who went top 10 in the draft last year. Or Courtland Sutton. I'm good with Keon. 

Keon Coleman is the old school alpha X WR. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

To me it can be useful in some sense but really only to move a guy within a tier. Guys jumping way ahead of others based on 40 times etc usually don’t live up to the hype 

Film never lies 

Edited by DJB

14 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Yea I’ve watched a lot of Franklin and I didn’t come away feeling his hands were a problem. They aren’t as good as others in the class but his explosiveness - what I think many of us feel our offense lacks - sets him apart.

Just an example of how consistently explosive Franklin was this season. He had a 30+ yard reception in 12 of 13 games. That 13th game he was hurt in the second quarter and gutted out the rest of that Pac12 championship game. Nabers and Odunze were tied for second at 10 games a piece. He also had 7 games with a 40+ yard receptions which was more than Nabers and tied with Odunze in 2 less games. 

I'm getting Jalin Hyatt vibes from Franklin

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It just goes to show how badly he looked at the Combine that he's offering to essentially re-do it personally for us. Probably also speaks to how we view him at the moment that we're saying "yeah, gonna need you to do more than just a standard visit. We need to see the Combine was a mirage to consider you".

I would be surprised if he improves his times though, even if he was sick. He'll be in better health, but he also put on added mass. Which in and of itself is a good thing bc weighing in less than expected was one of the many disappointments from his weekend in Indy. But it could also negate the time he lost from being a little under the weather. Though if he's able to get the same 40 with added weight, that's a good thing.

More than the 40, he needs more than anything to improve his 10 yard split. Ranking dead last amongst all WR's at the Combine when his big trait is speed was staggering. Again, I worry that may just be what it is. He does hit high speeds as he gets down the field. But coming off the line, you wouldn't think he's as fast as he's supposed to be. It's strangely as if he has long speed, but not burst at the line.

He caught 81 passes for almost 1400 yards and 14 TD’s last season at Oregon.  Those are great numbers. He obviously can play WR.  The amount of overanalyzing on here is absurd pretty much about everything. 

i don’t know any of you personally. But do most of you live your lives that way w everything, including your jobs over analyzing the ***** out of things ?

Watch the film of this guy.  He can play.  Enough said.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's not accurate.  Watch this in its entirety and tell me which route you don't see.

I see Justin Jefferson-like skills in those clips.

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Anquan Boldin, George Pickens dropped in the draft because of the "can't separate" crap. Coleman makes plays!! He "Moss" DBs. He returns punts. Played at Mich. St, cold climate. Think Drake London who went top 10 in the draft last year. Or Courtland Sutton. I'm good with Keon. 

Pickens dropped because of character concerns not separation ability.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I look at it as sort of the standardized college admission test equivalent (ACT/SAT) - though those are falling out of favor due to flaws.  But in theory, the idea of them was to provide college admissions offices with an apples-to-apples way to compare a kid from a huge highschool who was in the top 1/4 of his class, with a top-5 kid from a class of 100.

I mean, we have fantastic athletes at all levels of competition, with all levels of quality in their teammates.  The combine (in theory) is a chance to see them all together performing the same tests under the same conditions of altitude, field, etc. and provide an apples-to-apples metric.

So in theory, it has value.  In practice, it has flaws too.

Edited by Beck Water

38 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Watching this video, I fell in love with him all over again. I'm inclined to just throw out the combine performance. The film doesn't lie.

In addition to the route running, the release, and the vertical speed, two other things jump out on tape:

1) YAC instincts. This is an underrated trait that I think you either have or you don't. When he catches a pass on any kind of stop route facing the QB, he has a natural feel for coming back a bit and then turning to get around the waiting DB. Too many WRs on these plays are instantly tackled because they lack that natural feel. Khalil Shakir has this same trait. That trait with Franklin's speed is a lethal combination.

2) Competitiveness. He is constantly fighting through contact to pick up extra yards. When he catches the ball he is looking for ways to be creative to maximize YAC instead of just letting a soft tackle bring him down. He looks like he genuinely loves playing football which means he will work hard at it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I got no comment on the tape, other than that a release at the college level ain't cuttin it in the NFL.

But if a man has the security to play football dressed like a Banana Slug, or like an unholy cross between a Persian Lime and a Banana Slug, he's all right by me.

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I got no comment on the tape, other than that a release at the college level ain't cuttin it in the NFL.

But if a man has the security to play football dressed like a Banana Slug, or like an unholy cross between a Persian Lime and a Banana Slug, he's all right by me.

Speaking of which, it's a pretty cool story of how the University of Santa Cruz chose the Banana Slug as their mascot.