Justin Fields traded to Steelers

8 hours ago, NoSaint said:

yea, I’m serious. I think that you are saying and above average contract ($35m a year as a floor).

That’s noteworthy and should be included in a post because it’s 90% of the context that makes the post actually able to be discussed in any productive way. 

without it the posts just noise 

What are you?  A CPA?  Top 20 made over $25 million a year while bottom 12 made less than $10 million.  Average is $26 million a season.  That is the range Fields is in.   

14 hours ago, mannc said:

What were the Bears supposed to do, in your opinion?

Beats me, I don’t get paid to make those decisions…but they certainly don’t look like a well run franchise.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Nitro said:

What are you?  A CPA?  Top 20 made over $25 million a year while bottom 12 made less than $10 million.  Average is $26 million a season.  That is the range Fields is in.   

if you don’t understand why it’s productive to say whether you think he’s getting 10m or 40m a year (or somewhere in between) when saying they should extend him, I’m not sure what to say. It’s like the folks debating whether he should be traded but all have wildly differing values in their heads. 

apparently that requires super computing to do though

16 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Apparently he was very popular according to Rap… but the Bears did him a solid sending him to a place where he had an easier path to being the starter 

Poles was getting roasted for only getting a 6th for Fields, so he called up Rap and leaked this to him personally. You gotta think that’s what happened here. Same thing happened last year when the 49ers traded Lance.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Poles was getting roasted for only getting a 6th for Fields, so he called up Rap and leaked this to him personally. You gotta think that’s what happened here. Same thing happened last year when the 49ers traded Lance.

Agreed. Poles isn’t going to pass on a 3rd and 4th round pick to do Fields a solid. The reality is he blew it— could have sent him to the eagles, and gambled, and then scrambled. 

Brilliant moves by Pittsburgh.

They unload Pickett on the Eagles and get a 3rd (overall pick 98) in exchange for their 4th (pick 120). 

They then acquire a superior QB talent, still on his rookie deal, for only a 6th. 

They also get a QB who could immediately make Pittsburgh competitive with Baltimore and Cincinnati and better than Cleveland, for next to nothing. 

Teams like the Giants, Jets, Vikings, and CommanderSkins, should take note.     

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Low Positive said:

If Fields ends up actually playing for Pittsburgh, which is possible, it turns into a fourth round pick.  So there's that...

1 hour ago, mannc said:

If Fields ends up actually playing for Pittsburgh, which is possible, it turns into a fourth round pick.  So there's that...

Wilson will have to be monumentally bad for them to bench him. Tomlin knows it’s a playoff team with decent QB. I’d play the former SB winner over a guy that’s won 10 games in 3 years 

On 3/17/2024 at 9:58 AM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

They had a ton of cap space, Edmunds actually played pretty well the last half of the season AND this gives the bears the opportunity to reset the quarterback position with a rookie contract for the top prospect. Only question is can they FINALLY develop a QB. Jay cutler being one of the franchises top signal callers speaks volumes 

Good point about Jay Cutler.  A pretty sour fellow from what I recall.  Not exactly a team oriented kind of guy.  The only other QB's of note is Jim Miller, if you can call him that.  I believe he was good in the early 2000's for maybe half a season.  And of course Jim McMahon from way back yonder.  

Interesting how some teams, especially the bad ones have so much cap space.  And we are up against it every year it seems.  What are they paying every guy under $3 mill per year?

I love your user name btw.  That cracks me the ***** up!!

I think Fields is the type to take all of this and use it as motivation, more so than ever before. Whether or not Chicago has a good front office, I don't think they have the coaches. They didn't give Fields any weapons and I'm long on him. Going from that situation, to Pittsburgh, and sitting behind Russell Wilson will be good for him, even as unorthodox as Russell is. 

Do the Steelers say “ hey let’s find the least effective scout and ask him to pick our annual QB” every year?  

Fields has no ability to read defenses. 

Edited by Locomark

2 hours ago, extrahammer said:

I think Fields is the type to take all of this and use it as motivation, more so than ever before. Whether or not Chicago has a good front office, I don't think they have the coaches. They didn't give Fields any weapons and I'm long on him. Going from that situation, to Pittsburgh, and sitting behind Russell Wilson will be good for him, even as unorthodox as Russell is. 

Put another way… 

he wasn’t motivated enough but will now try harder and learn from a guy that flamed out spectacularly due to items including (but not limited to) inability to relate to teammates and oversized ego?

When we played Chicago on Fields’ 2nd preseason game of his rookie season, he was asked how long he thinks it’ll take him to learn the nuances of the pro game and for the game to slow down for him. He said ‘I already know it all and it’s already slow enough for me’. I knew then he wasn’t anywhere near bright enough for this. Certainly, he can run. But he’ll never be completely competent. Too damn dumb.🤷‍♂️ 

That’s why Chi-town traded him for a bag of jockstraps.

Edited by Chandler#81

On 3/18/2024 at 12:53 PM, Captain Hindsight said:

Wilson will have to be monumentally bad for them to bench him. Tomlin knows it’s a playoff team with decent QB. I’d play the former SB winner over a guy that’s won 10 games in 3 years 

It depends on how they play.  

I'll put it out there, from what I've seen of Fields, I haven't been that impressed.  Pickett has shown flashes to me - I would have liked to see him behind a decent OL.

But, look at what Pittsburgh is paying Wilson.  Vet minimum - $1.2M.

Fields is getting $3.23M

Tomlin has a history of benching QB if they're not meeting his standard for how they play and not giving a rat's ass if the guy he puts on the field has a shorter pedigree or was drafted lower or is getting paid more.  See Hodges, Duck.  

Wilson is in "Pole Position", that's all we know.  

I'm not saying Fields will play.  I'm just saying Wilson's leash may be shorter than you think, and Tomlin won't be afraid to yank on it.

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

Do the Steelers say “ hey let’s find the least effective scout and ask him to pick our annual QB” every year?  

Fields has no ability to read defenses. 

I'd laugh except the Bills just re-signed Mitch Trubisky

Edited by Beck Water

13 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Put another way… 

he wasn’t motivated enough but will now try harder and learn from a guy that flamed out spectacularly due to items including (but not limited to) inability to relate to teammates and oversized ego?

LOL, not an ideal outcome but not as bad as it could have been. I didn't say he wasn't motivated in Chicago, I am saying he played for 2 different head coaches in 3 years, had no real offensive passing weapons outside of Kmet, had an awful offensive line, all managed by a GM who basically claimed Caleb Williams over a year ago. 

On 3/18/2024 at 7:52 AM, NoSaint said:

if you don’t understand why it’s productive to say whether you think he’s getting 10m or 40m a year (or somewhere in between) when saying they should extend him, I’m not sure what to say. It’s like the folks debating whether he should be traded but all have wildly differing values in their heads. 

apparently that requires super computing to do though

I understand but the Steelers have their own idea what the price will be.  By the way his extension has already been discussed in sports media. H is a mid range QB who should garner a mid range salary.  You are deeply invested in being his advocate on this.  Family member?  LOL!