Justin Fields traded to Steelers

13 minutes ago, Nitro said:

You are serious?   The league salaries go up each season.  I do not have access to the Steelers finances.  If pressed, I would hazard a guess of slightly above the league average for a QB.   

yea, I’m serious. I think that you are saying and above average contract ($35m a year as a floor).

That’s noteworthy and should be included in a post because it’s 90% of the context that makes the post actually able to be discussed in any productive way. 

without it the posts just noise 

6 hours ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

The Bears are becoming the Cleveland Browns of the NFC.

‘They weed the draft of busts, and cut players that will go on to be better, and make senselessly bad trades

I don't understand all this dunking on the Bears.  They have actually made a lot of really astute trades lately.  The trade with Carolina last year was brilliant, and their mid-season trade for Montez Sweat was widely mocked, but has turned out well for Chicago; he completely turned around their defense.  The only bad one they've made in the last couple years was giving up a 2nd for Claypool.  And who are the busts they've drafted?  Fields didn't really work out but he's been a lot better than guys like Zach Wilson and he was taken the middle of the first, not at the top.  They are positioned to have a pretty strong team this year if they draft the right QB. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I mean, honestly, if all it took was a 6th round pick in next year's draft, I would have given the Bears that to have as Josh's backup for a year and then we wouldn't pick up his 5th year option so we could just release him. That's crazy 

Supposedly, at least one team with an established starter tried to acquire Fields, but Chicago decided to do him a favor by sending him somewhere he would have a chance to play.

Edited by mannc

8 hours ago, eball said:

Bears gonna Bear.  Crazy.

What were the Bears supposed to do, in your opinion?  At least they swindled Carolina out of the first overall pick in the draft, so they have options... 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You think the Bears fans would be pissed to get Caleb Williams over Justin Fields?

No, not at all.  But for the little bitty bit they got for him, I think they could have just kept him on the roster to see what happens and whether someone would make them a better offer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Apparently he was very popular according to Rap… but the Bears did him a solid sending him to a place where he had an easier path to being the starter 

Who were the other teams do we know?

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Apparently he was very popular according to Rap… but the Bears did him a solid sending him to a place where he had an easier path to being the starter 

OK, if Da Bears motivation was to do the 1st round pick they're abandoning a solid by giving him input into his landing spot, I approve their actions. 

It's a business, but not a 100% heartless one

Just now, mannc said:

I haven’t heard, but it would not shock me if the Bills were interested.

Guess there was conversations that he’d have a chance to compete for the starting gig at Pittsburgh and not the other destinations…?

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

OK, if Da Bears motivation was to do the 1st round pick they're abandoning a solid by giving him input into his landing spot, I approve their actions. 

It's a business, but not a 100% heartless one

I think it happens a lot with guys who are well-liked within an organization. Ryan Bates is an example.

Edited by mannc

35 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

No, not at all.  But for the little bitty bit they got for him, I think they could have just kept him on the roster to see what happens and whether someone would make them a better offer.

It seems there was little market for Fields, given how cheaply he traded for.  

You can't have the failed 1st rounder/franchise savior sitting on the bench behind the next 1st rounder/franchise savior...

47 minutes ago, mannc said:

I haven’t heard, but it would not shock me if the Bills were interested.

Why do you think the bills would be interested out of curiosity?

He would be a fairly expensive backup, and his 5th year option would kick in the following year.

So would basically be a 1 year rental as an expensive back up

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

He would be a fairly expensive backup, and his 5th year option would kick in the following year.

I think it's possible.  JA and Fields have somewhat similar playing styles.  Trubisky has already proven that he's a barely adequate backup, so the bar is pretty low.  I don't think Fields on his rookie deal is a very expensive backup, although honestly, I'm not sure what hit he's going to have on Pittsburgh's cap...    

44 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think it's possible.  JA and Fields have somewhat similar playing styles.  Trubisky has already proven that he's a barely adequate backup, so the bar is pretty low.  I don't think Fields on his rookie deal is a very expensive backup, although honestly, I'm not sure what hit he's going to have on Pittsburgh's cap...    

fair points, but do you think it would be worth the investment to trade assets for most likely a one year rental who is pretty expensive for a backup QB? (In a tight capped team)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

fair points, but do you think it would be worth the investment to trade assets for most likely a one year rental who is pretty expensive for a backup QB? (In a tight capped team)

We're talking about giving up a sixth round pick and the Bills have more late-round picks than they could possibly roster, so I don't think that's much of an impediment.  

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

1 year 3m isn’t particularly expensive 

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

We're talking about giving up a sixth round pick and the Bills have more late-round picks than they could possibly roster, so I don't think that's much of an impediment.  

The Bears have apparently looked after him by sending him somewhere that he can win the starting job… that is never going to happen in Buffalo 

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

1 year 3m isn’t particularly expensive 

3.2 for a team that needs a good backup,  I agree it's affordable.

But anything over 2.5 is a bit expensive for the bills IMO, especially considering they are tight against cap and Josh is the most durable QB in the league 

38 minutes ago, mannc said:

Rumours are they could have gotten more from other teams, but they did right to fields by sending him to a place he can compete for a starting job.

I would guess it would have cost the bills a 4th to get him 

3 hours ago, mannc said:

If we didn't give Trubisky $2.7m guaranteed they may have inquired about Fields.  He'll count $2m towards the cap this year and we'll eat $1.5m if we cut him.  This team cap wise isn't in a position to commit at what minimum would've been a $4.7m cap space to the backup QB position (assuming Trubisky was cut).