CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

I like the signing and value. 

Maybe it's a "grass is always greener" mindset, but how is Gabe Davis worth 1.5x Samuel or Hollywood Brown in the open market?  I understand  that he's younger, but his health has always been an issue.  What am I missing?  He had one historic game several years ago, but otherwise has been very pedestrian.  He never had a 1,000 yard season, never had 50 receptions... despite being in a pass heavy offense with a great QB, and 3 different OCs had a desire/need to get him more involved.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Commish said:

I believe Joe Marino reported yesterday that Samuel runs 49% out of the slot, the remainder out wide or in the backfield.

I’ve seen several different numbers on his usage.  Not sure why - guess we have to pick someone to be believe

1 minute ago, DasNootz said:

Maybe it's a "grass is always greener" mindset, but how is Gabe Davis worth 1.5x Samuel or Hollywood Brown in the open market?  I understand  that he's younger, but his health has always been an issue.  What am I missing?  He had one historic game several years ago, but otherwise has been very pedestrian.  He never had a 1,000 yard season, never had 50 receptions... despite being in a pass heavy offense with a great QB, and 3 different OCs had a desire/need to get him more involved.

He got a lot of mileage out that game and some of the other big plays he’s made.  I wouldn’t call him pedestrian.  I think he’s a good WR2 but like you pointed out he does have some flaws.  My prediction is that he’s the same WR he was in Buffalo.  

10 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He got a lot of mileage out that game and some of the other big plays he’s made.  I wouldn’t call him pedestrian.  I think he’s a good WR2 but like you pointed out he does have some flaws.  My prediction is that he’s the same WR he was in Buffalo.  

I think he's proven that he's not a good WR2...  If anything he's a below average WR2 and above average WR3.  If he goes on to be a good WR2 or low end WR1 in Jacksonville, it'll be an indictment on our offensive system here.

Edited by DasNootz

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

I read he has not missed a game in two years.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

When was he bitten by a snake? 2021 only season his missed significant time.

tell that to my fantasy teams! 

I think you guys are right that 2021 was the real injury plagued season. But even when he played the last few years, he always struck me as gimpy, battling through toe injuries and groin injuries and hamstring injuries. 

maybe it is just more exaggerated in my mind because I had him in fantasy for a few years, and felt I could never rely on him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

tell that to my fantasy teams! 

I think you guys are right that 2021 was the real injury plagued season. But even when he played the last few years, he always struck me as gimpy, battling through toe injuries and groin injuries and hamstring injuries. 

maybe it is just more exaggerated in my mind because I had him in fantasy for a few years, and felt I could never rely on him.

Same with me and Tee Higgins

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ngbills said:

Have you looked up Samuel’s longest reception each year? His avg reception. Big play threat? Really? 

Yes and have you ever watched him play.  He played a role in Washington that did not take full advantage of his skill set.  His speed and quickness are clearly evident.  If you really doubt his big play ability, look back at his Ohio State video.  He didn't get picked 40th overall for doing nothing.  Allen will be the first good passer that he has played with in the NFL.  He didn't have great air yard stats because of QB play, not because he can't get open down field.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm liking Coleman more every day. He reminds me of Michael Thomas with more versatility. Shows an alpha dog mentality

And shows very little ability to separate.  That’s my issue with him.  I feel that he’ll be Gabe 2.0 whereas Josh will force him the ball to give the guy a chance to make a play and interceptions will result.  

7 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Yes and have you ever watched him play.  He played a role in Washington that did not take full advantage of his skill set.  His speed and quickness are clearly evident.  If you really doubt his big play ability, look back at his Ohio State video.  He didn't get picked 40th overall for doing nothing.  Allen will be the first good passer that he has played with in the NFL.  He didn't have great air yard stats because of QB play, not because he can't get open down field.

He was a rb / wr combo. Actually more of an rb coming out of Ohio state. He has been successful converting to a wr in the nfl but is not what many on this board want to say he is. People think because he is fast that he must be a deep threat. No. Doesn’t mean he is not a good player just not that. And it’s not because how he was used but it was to focus on what he does well. 

• Disagree 1

31 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

No, you're not alone with that thought. 

I'm less amazed that Gabe got bank because teams overpay for WR2 all the time. What HAS surprised me is that quality #2 guys are signing for far less than I expected on the market. Spotrac had him at $11.5M AAV and the Bills got him for $8 M a year (with potential void years) and Marquise Brown for $7 M

I think the Bills made the more financially sound move.

37 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I’ve seen several different numbers on his usage.  Not sure why - guess we have to pick someone to be believe

People need to throw out 2021. Didn’t really play. 

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

He was a rb / wr combo. Actually more of an rb coming out of Ohio state. He has been successful converting to a wr in the nfl but is not what many on this board want to say he is. People think because he is fast that he must be a deep threat. No. Doesn’t mean he is not a good player just not that. And it’s not because how he was used but it was to focus on what he does well. 

I guess you'll just have to watch him play because it is pretty clear that you have an opinion.

• Disagree 1

40 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Well, Samuel has been in the league 7 seasons, so both could be true - maybe he spent his first couple seasons predominantly out wide.

I think it's most notable that he played 70% from the slot during his best (to date) season, with Joe Brady as his OC.

30 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm liking Coleman more every day. He reminds me of Michael Thomas with more versatility. Shows an alpha dog mentality

He had the slowest 40 time of every receiver at the combine.   That's concerning.  

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Everyone watched that 200 yard, 4 TD playoff performance and thinks it carried over. 

13 hours ago, DrMaxPower said:

Yeah, the opinions of the fan base don't line up with that of the leagues decision makers.

People were hyper critical of Davis. It was excessive. He was a decent #2 wr and vastly outplayed his draft slot. He wasn't a top shelf #2 (aka 1b) but he wasn't paid or drafted as one.

I like the signing and am good with Davis moving on. Not sure it's the upgrade many think. That comes from the draft.

Yeah, not saying the signing is bad it is just clear people are undervaluing Davis at the same time overvaluing Samuel.  I do like the potential play making ability of this guy though, optimistic but I am not expecting out of this world production.   People act like Josh Allen throwing the ball means his numbers will jump significantly, that could happen but at the same time that did not work for Shefield or Harty.   Their numbers went in the crapper with Allen.