Isaiah Hodgins Expected to Be Non-Tendered as RFA

JGMcD2

7 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Were those guys getting targeted as WR1? 

It was a volume thing lol

To a certain extent.  It was a difference of 18 attempts his way.  Regardless,  once you factor in the contracts of those four vs Hodgins on a rookie 6th round contract,  it seems to me that the Giants got the better end of that one.  

You're kind of making my point here for me,  though.  He's a 4th/5th WR type that can be a competent stopgap starter if you need him to be.  Those guys the Bills signed?  Eh,  I don't know about that. 

Edited by Brandon

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

WR needy team let’s cheap young wr walk.

He's always been more of a big slot to me. Doesn’t really fit our need for speed and YAc outside.

I liked Hodgins early on when I thought Josh needed a wide catch radius guy with great hands. Now, I want Josh to have playmakers. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I said this in the other thread, his lack of special teams ability kills him, and he isn’t good enough to be a full time X or slot. I’d love to see him come in and compete with Justin Shorter. 

Imagine being 6’4’ 220 and a gifted athlete while constantly being overshadowed by a guy who’s 5’8’’ 170. 

Birthday Love GIF by STARCUTOUTSUK

Edited by billsbackto81

36 minutes ago, Logic said:

If I were better at resurrecting old threads, I'd do so for a "what the heck was Beane doing letting this guy go?!" thread that surely existed and probably got to 20+ pages long back when Hodgins had a few good weeks for the Giants in 2022.

Didn’t he get caught up in the number of times you could be elevated to the roster or something like that, and we were absolutely desperate for DB’s on the roster due to injury. I don’t remember the details, but it seems like we were between a rock and a hard place. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Didn’t he get caught up in the number of times you could be elevated to the roster or something like that, and we were absolutely desperate for DB’s on the roster due to injury. I don’t remember the details, but it seems like we were between a rock and a hard place. 

Correct.

It wound up looking pretty bad, though, because he was out there producing in a big, WR1 kind of way for the Giants, while the Bills were forced to sign the corpses of John Brown and Cole Beasley for their playoff run. Many Bills fans were livid at the time. You'd have thought we let prime Herman Moore walk out the door.

As it turned out, sanity prevailed, Hodgins' Linsanity streak was short-lived, and now he's looking for work.

Life is tough as a WR4/WR5 type in the NFL when you don't play special teams.

Edited by Logic
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Correct.

It wound up looking pretty bad, though, because he was out there producing in a big, WR1 kind of way for the Giants, while the Bills were forced to sign the corpses of John Brown and Cole Beasley for their playoff run. Many Bills fans were livid at the time. You'd have thought we let prime Herman Moore walk out the door.

As it turned out, sanity prevailed, Hodgins' Linsanity streak was short-lived, and now he's looking for work.

You’d think those guys would try to figure out how to add value in some way on ST. Do they just not have the physical traits to contribute? Is it “I never had to do that before”?  I’d be doing everything in my power to make my NFL experience last a few more years to set me up for life. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I said this in the other thread, his lack of special teams ability kills him, and he isn’t good enough to be a full time X or slot. I’d love to see him come in and compete with Justin Shorter. 

Imagine being 6’4’ 220 and a gifted athlete while constantly being overshadowed by a guy who’s 5’8’’ 170. 

Is he overshadowed or does McKenzie just have incriminating pictures of a lot of people around the league?

43 minutes ago, Logic said:

Correct.

He never produced like a WR1 though. People just overreacted here because he scored a handful of touchdowns and caught the ball. The amount that his production was overblown was ridiculous 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

You’d think those guys would try to figure out how to add value in some way on ST. Do they just not have the physical traits to contribute? Is it “I never had to do that before”?  I’d be doing everything in my power to make my NFL experience last a few more years to set me up for life. 

The reason is according to some self proclaimed experts ST players should be filled with UDFAs and practice squad players.

How can you compete against them?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So if he was so good and the Bills were so dumb, why is he being released by the Giants?

Apparently, it's a money issue.  The RFA tender would cost them $3m. 

Guy was so good the Giants spent a pick to select his replacement in the draft and he could barely get on the field for a team with nothing in the WR room. 

He would likely be competing with Hollins and Shorter for a roster spot, and they each add more value as a ST in addition would that WR 4/5 role.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Beane and McDermott are so dumb for letting him go and get poached by the Giants 🤪

Yeah, people who get worked up about that are hard to understand.

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So if he was so good and the Bills were so dumb, why is he being released by the Giants?

Considering the thread's title, I think he was being sarcastic.

I could be wrong.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Replaced by Isaiah Mckenzie again oddly enough 🙂 

I totally thought you were joking, so I had to look it up and...Dang.

8 hours ago, mrags said:

The would have felt much better paying Hodgins 2-3m than that useless blocker Hollins. 

Pssssst....what if I told you that....the #5 or #6 WR must be able to play special teams?

(that's why we signed Hollins to compete, and why Hodgins got told 'thanks for your service" by the G-men)

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Considering the thread's title, I think he was being sarcastic.

You aren't wrong.  Totes sarcasm from @JGMcD2

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I totally thought you were joking, so I had to look it up and...Dang.

Pssssst....what if I told you that....the #5 or #6 WR must be able to play special teams?

I would say perfect, line Hodgins up as a gunner and tell him to run in a straight light, very fast, and if someone gets in your way, turn. 

any monkey can be taught how to stay in their lane on kickoffs and cover punts that are almost never returned anyway. Hell, I’d save all the money and trot out Diggs at kickoff coverage and just tell my kicker to kick it out of the back of the end zone every single time. Or kick it with some hang time and make them fair catch it all the time. Boom, don’t matter who you have on kickoff teams. Problem solved. 

we’re in cap hell. Let’s act like it and not waste money and roster spots on guys that can’t play a position in the nfl but can cover a punt. It’s a waste. 

• Dislike 1

Just now, mrags said:

I would say perfect, line Hodgins up as a gunner and tell him to run in a straight light, very fast, and if someone gets in your way, turn. 

any monkey can be taught how to stay in their lane on kickoffs and cover punts that are almost never returned anyway. Hell, I’d save all the money and trot out Diggs at kickoff coverage and just tell my kicker to kick it out of the back of the end zone every single time. Or kick it with some hang time and make them fair catch it all the time. Boom, don’t matter who you have on kickoff teams. Problem solved. 

Thank you for your service.  Calibration is complete.

• Haha (+1) 1

Nooooooo. Why are we always obsessed with underachieving former WRs like Hodgins, McKenzie, Robert foster, Kumerow, duke williams. We do NOT need guys like Hodgins. We bring him in to do what, take snaps away from an actual promising guy like Shakir? I’m happy our collective fanbase agreed (mostly) that Gabe should walk for the $$, we’re getting smarter. We do not need a collection of WR3’s. At this point if beane can’t swing for a Hollywood brown or a M Williams then it’s the draft and it better be a rd 1 pick or I’ll feel helpless. No more settling for depth wrs for Josh. Were neglecting it.