DaQuan Re-Signed - 2 yrs 16M

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Last year he did but I have a lot more confidence in Milano returning to form than I do Jones, and Milano is flat out a better player. With Jones it is two years in a row he has been ineffective in the playoffs, and I'm just not a fan of signing yet another 30+ year old defensive lineman. This strategy has yet to produce anything meaningful for us late in the season.

But I've said my piece. I know I'm in the minority about this signing, and I get it. At his best DQ has been a very good player for us. It's weird to say this about a 32 year old player but there is upside to this signing. Just not the direction I would have personally gone in.

I agree and I like J.P. a lot as well. It's just the same scenario with him. I'm fine with those two and hopefully we can find 2 good ones in the draft.

7 hours ago, Whkfc said:

I guess if you don't change anything you can continue to lose in the second round.

Did you like just wake up for a 5 month nap to write this post??????

Glad he is back and him and AJ getting Re-signed makes perfect sense.

at the same time I don't really feel like the team is any better.  McDermott and his defense just cant beat KC.  I don't know how they expect anything to change this year.  Seems they have to outscore them and to do that they are going to have to make sure they add playmakers to the offense and so far they have started the offseason by weakening and disrupting the offensive line.  

I am glad jones and aj are back though, they seem to play well when healthy in the regular season.

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

at the same time I don't really feel like the team is any better.  McDermott and his defense just cant beat KC.  I don't know how they expect anything to change this year.  Seems they have to outscore them and to do that they are going to have to make sure they add playmakers to the offense and so far they have started the offseason by weakening and disrupting the offensive line.  

I am glad jones and aj are back though, they seem to play well when healthy in the regular season.

Hopefully we'll get the chance to see what a D with a fully fit DQ, along with Milano, Bernard, Benford a fit Douglas, a better Von and 1 or 2 new younger guys at the safety position can do against KC in the playoffs.  I don't normally like pointing to injuries as an excuse but the D against KC in the divisional round was absolutely ravaged.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Hmm. Guess it was a bad year to need DL help. We are bringing back the same underperforming group and hoping for the best.

I'm a little perplexed about Beane's strategy these past couple weeks. Cut underperforming overpaid players, then turn around and re-sign a bunch of guys in the same bucket.

I'm sure the real numbers aren't so bad. Hopefully he's healthy and gives us the level of play we got before his injury. I'm not upset about this individual signing. Just confused about what the plan is.

Well, being it’s not yours, mine or anyone else here’s plan, and none of us will ever know the actual plan it is understandable that there may be confusion on the part of us fans, I guess we will just have to sit back and watch things unfold. 👍

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Hopefully we'll get the chance to see what a D with a fully fit DQ, along with Milano, Bernard, Benford a fit Douglas, a better Von and 1 or 2 new younger guys at the safety position can do against KC in the playoffs.  I don't normally like pointing to injuries as an excuse but the D against KC in the divisional round was absolutely ravaged.

it was and it was the second year in a row they had injuries.  Jones is a good player but it seems he always has something physically bothering him.  

They have made sure they have a defensive line they can play games with.  They need 3 more players still but right now is better than 48 hours ago.  

Still having said that these same guys who played vs KC were manhandled in the game and KC's offense is only going to get better this offseason when they add good wr's.  

The bills need to nail the draft and find some playmakers.  

To think that when DQ came back to play last season in the playoffs that his pectoral and upper body strength was at full 100 go status would be pretty short sighted. This season, we'll be getting fully recovered DQ. Plus DT's like him can play a bit into their 30's. And the price? 10 mil guaranteed for 2 years is quite palatable indeed. Not sure why anyone thinks that is much in the way of a starter's salary. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yes, prior to injury. And now he's 32 playing one of the most physically taxing positions. Are we going to be able to count on him in January?

I don't mean to criticize every signing but I was really hoping the Bills would use this offseason to get younger at every position, and cheaper at less important positions. I thought after all the cuts last week that this was the plan and I was elated. But here we are signing a 32 year old nose tackle.

There is no way to know who may be injured at any point of the season, so that is a bit of a weak argument, just look at Aaron Rodgers in the first game of last season, Milano’s broken leg, etc etc, sh-t happens, there’s damn little one can do about it. 

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Last year he did but I have a lot more confidence in Milano returning to form than I do Jones, and Milano is flat out a better player. With Jones it is two years in a row he has been ineffective in the playoffs, and I'm just not a fan of signing yet another 30+ year old defensive lineman. This strategy has yet to produce anything meaningful for us late in the season.

But I've said my piece. I know I'm in the minority about this signing, and I get it. At his best DQ has been a very good player for us. It's weird to say this about a 32 year old player but there is upside to this signing. Just not the direction I would have personally gone in.

Did Jones even play in 2022 playoffs?  

We can't have all DL in their 20's.  Most of them are in their 20's with Von and DaQuan above 30.  

17 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Except I didn't just focus on his contract. I also mentioned that all of the All Pro talk is based on 4 games against poor competition and centered around his high pressure rate, which is something he's never accomplished before. Then there is the incredibly high standard for All Pro players, which is also something he's never sniffed. I'm not sure why fans here have to take a good situation and try to turn it into something amazing. That's not living in reality.

ok, what is that incredibly high standard, sacks, right?

{unless you watch that all-22 film, or you are perhaps a D-line coach, or even O-line?}

I'm glad he didn't rack up a ton of sacks, because he'd cost more!

why did Madubuike get all that loot? (hint, 26 yr old DT with 13 sacks!)

we know he's not Chris Jones, or Aaron Donald, who also rack up the sacks & pressures

not sure where Frank Clark comes in, as he is a DE/LB who can sack the QB

all this doesn't mean DaQuon cannot regularly do his job in the middle of our defense (against poor or good competition)

why would you discount his pressure rate, stat guy?

but you are correct, he is not All-Pro status for whatever that point is worth...

I would argue he could sniff it if a few more of those pressures became sacks

amazing signing by Beane, Go Bills! 🙌

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Well they haven’t drafted yet. Say they add mini Kyle Williams in Fiske from Florida. You know they will trade-up and grab their top end receiver. Say they actually draft or pick a FA S who isn’t playing with 4 injuries every year (like Poyer always was because he weighed 185.) 

Last but not least they won’t be paying $17MM to a guy who played 8 of the last 40 games in Tre.(which meant he was being paid twice as much as Josh to not play)

Next year they have cap space and can likely dump Von. They are transforming! I also expect the Knox redo was also meant to set him up for trade next year or possibly even during the draft. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So by this scenario, Matt Milano underperformed last year and has underperformed more in his career than DaQuan because Milano has missed more games due to injury?

We only got 4.5 games out of Mliano.  Do you doubt we get 10 out of his next year?

So your saying Milano is injury prone?

1 hour ago, Westside said:

I would not be surprised. The failure rate of rookie WR’s is almost as bad as Qb’s. We cargo into the season with Diggs and Shakir as our two main receivers. Even if we draft one in the first, will they be able to contribute right away?

I’m worried about our depth at receiver.

I think you are forgetting about a certain tight end that our OC needs to learn how to incorporate better. Tge rookie just needs to take some pressure off Diggs…

People can feel however they want about this, but...

My only bone to pick is with those who say he's "oft injured" or "injury prone" or whatever. Prior to his pec injury last year, he hadn't missed a game in eight seasons. I realize he's 32 years old, but the DT position is one at which 1T and NT types have historically continued to excel well into their 30s. And simply being 32 is not a guarantee of continued injury troubles.

The Bills were significantly better on defense with Jones on the field that without him. His deal does not break the bank. For those reasons, I view this re-signing as a positive. If anyone views it as a negative, again, thats fine and thats their prerogative, but using "injuries" as the reason is odd to me.

• Agree 4

Just now, Meatloaf63 said:

I think you are forgetting about a certain tight end that our OC needs to learn how to incorporate better. Tge rookie just needs to take some pressure off Diggs…

I didn’t forget Kincaid, I expect him to have a great year. I’m worried about if one of the receivers go down for any amount of time our receivers will be in big trouble come playoff time. 

1 minute ago, Logic said:

People can feel however they want about this, but...

My only bone to pick is with those who say he's "oft injured" or "injury prone" or whatever. Prior to his pec injury last year, he hadn't missed a game in eight seasons. I realize he's 32 years old, but the DT position is one at which 1T and NT types have historically continued to excel well into their 30s. And simply being 32 is not a guarantee of continued injury troubles.

The Bills were significantly better on defense with Jones on the field that without him. His deal does not break the bank. For those reasons, I view this re-signing as a positive. If anyone views it as a negative, again, thats fine and thats their prerogative, but using "injuries" as the reason is odd to me.

I agree for the most part. But you have to remember he’s 32 years old. Injuries occur more often when you get older. Especially at DT position.

We have no depth, depending on a mid round rookie or a vet cast off to plug in sounds like trouble to me.

5 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Well they haven’t drafted yet. Say they add mini Kyle Williams in Fiske from Florida. You know they will trade-up and grab their top end receiver. Say they actually draft or pick a FA S who isn’t playing with 4 injuries every year (like Poyer always was because he weighed 185.) 

Last but not least they won’t be paying $17MM to a guy who played 8 of the last 40 games in Tre.(which meant he was being paid twice as much as Josh to not play)

Next year they have cap space and can likely dump Von. They are transforming! I also expect the Knox redo was also meant to set him up for trade next year or possibly even during the draft. 

and I really think Terrell Bernard is a big key to stopping the Chiefs, matchup wise

having him and Milano back will be huge

(as compared to playing them in the playoffs with AJ Klein wearing a green dot helmet!)