DaQuan Re-Signed - 2 yrs 16M

18 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Lot of cap space difference as well. Jones is an excellent DT and what we need right now.

He's a stabilizer on that D-Line.  The difference with him in the lineup vs. out was pretty stark. 

The contract is right in line with his value.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Hmm. Guess it was a bad year to need DL help. We are bringing back the same underperforming group and hoping for the best.

I'm a little perplexed about Beane's strategy these past couple weeks. Cut underperforming overpaid players, then turn around and re-sign a bunch of guys in the same bucket.

I'm sure the real numbers aren't so bad. Hopefully he's healthy and gives us the level of play we got before his injury. I'm not upset about this individual signing. Just confused about what the plan is.

Jones was not underperforming at all...he was on pace to be an all-Pro before he got injured...dude was not blockable on the DL the first 4 games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Jones was not underperforming at all...he was on pace to be an all-Pro before he got injured...dude was not blockable on the DL the first 4 games.

But yet we only got 7 games out of him. I doubt we get 10 out of him again.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, nosejob said:

Doesn't exactly look like a player who is injury prone does it?  Perhaps look at his body of work instead of one season? 

image.thumb.png.04ee3d870fd23f421514bc8baafd0581.png

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Doesn't exactly look like a player who is injury prone does it?  Perhaps look at his body of work instead of one season? 

Nahhhhhhhhh. Facts aren't important.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Hey I hope he's great! I just won't bet on a full season and hope we don't have to go get bodies in October.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

No argument on the cap space (as I already mentioned). Again, he’s a good player and I’m happy to have him back. But the All Pro talk is insane - as evidenced by his contract. 

you can solely focus on his contract, but it doesn't necessarily prove your point

he's 32 and coming off an injury, that's going to cost you some $

& unlike Floyd, he presumably chose to stay here, which also means a bit less $ wise

in any event, a great job by Beane - kept a very important piece for a manageable number

he and Oliver are a very good tandem

and Beane will likely add a modest FA here and draft a guy as well

if we go with a WR at 28, there still should be talented DTs in round 2

the 2 guys from Texas, Jenkins from Michigan, and the Fla State dude are all possibilities

and I think we have an extra 4th and 5th rounder, so I expect Beane to use those to move up to get someone mid 2nd round

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Yes, prior to injury. And now he's 32 playing one of the most physically taxing positions. Are we going to be able to count on him in January?

I don't mean to criticize every signing but I was really hoping the Bills would use this offseason to get younger at every position, and cheaper at less important positions. I thought after all the cuts last week that this was the plan and I was elated. But here we are signing a 32 year old nose tackle.

Ed oliver is only 26, paired with Jones that is a formidable duo imo. We re-signed AJ Epenesa who is 25 years old, 26 year old Conner McGovern is the new center, re-signed S Cam Lewis whos 26, OG David Edwards has been promoted to G an he's 26. It seems like Jones is the only older dude we re-signed. I think we'll definitely add a DT in the draft, maybe 2. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Hey I hope he's great! I just won't bet on a full season and hope we don't have to go get bodies in October.

Umm...OK...you can't "bet" on a full season from anyone, but if you had to, he looks like a far safer bet than others on the roster who you probably "would" bet on.

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

On Epenesa vs Floyd, I agree I would take Epenesa because he is younger. I don't hate that deal. I do think it is another instance of us spending a good chunk of cap space on a backup defensive lineman, which I have been against, but the market for that position really sucks right now and we aren't likely to be able to address it in the draft. So I get it. Epenesa at least still has some upside.

On the other players, they are young but they aren't cheap relative to their position and spot on the roster.

What it really comes down to for me is we are bringing back the same group of players that continually fail to show up in the playoffs. What has Epenesa ever done in a playoff game? Or even Daquan Jones. Two years ago he was out for the divisional round with an injury. This past year he was a shell of himself in the playoffs. Now he's a year older and we're giving him a 2 year deal?

I was looking forward to a big shakeup on the roster this year. We can't just keep doing the same thing and expect to get over the hump. After all the cuts last week I was certain this regime was of the same mindset. I've criticized this regime for being unwilling to step outside their comfort zone. It is like after last week they felt too far out of it so they had to bring back a bunch of players they "know" even if the value wasn't there. The Chiefs wouldn't have re-signed Daquan Jones, I am positive of that. And that's our competition. I'd like us to start emulating them.

I don't mean underperforming like he was a bad player on the field. But he missed 9 games last year... He underperformed in the same way that Tre White has underperformed. It's not his fault, it's just the reality. 32 years old coming off a major injury that left him hobbled at the end of the season. I expected him to get maybe a 1 year $5M deal on the open market.

So by this scenario, Matt Milano underperformed last year and has underperformed more in his career than DaQuan because Milano has missed more games due to injury?

24 minutes ago, nosejob said:

We only got 4.5 games out of Mliano.  Do you doubt we get 10 out of his next year?

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The good news is we're covering holes that make WR in Round 1 more and more of a necessity. One of the two Starting Safety spots, the Starting 1T spot, and the DE3 spot/insurance to Von Miller.

The bad news is that if you're someone who's hoping for something substantial in FA from other teams - that's getting less and less likely. Both from a standpoint of where we're at financially and covering 3 of the major holes already in house.

It's going to go #1 WR and then #2 Safety.   Or this might flip 180 deg.  Depending who is available and if anyone is willing to take a bunch 5 or 6 round picks to move up in the first round.  Which is unlikely but possible.

an offseason 2 recover and i bet jones is back or close to the level pre-london, and for 10.5 guaranteed over 2 years up 2 16 with incentives, i would think most rational thinkers would take that...wilkins getting 25plus mil, is he 4times better??, jones 5 times??...

i personally feel alot better about the interior dline now, as im sure every1 else does or should 2

• Like (+1) 1

Hmm. Guess it was a bad year to need DL help. We are bringing back the same underperforming group and hoping for the best.

I'm a little perplexed about Beane's strategy these past couple weeks. Cut underperforming overpaid players, then turn around and re-sign a bunch of guys in the same bucket.

I'm sure the real numbers aren't so bad. Hopefully he's healthy and gives us the level of play we got before his injury. I'm not upset about this individual signing. Just confused about what the plan is.

Well, continuity, depth, and familiarity with schemes are all pluses, along with rewarding hard work and performance. I do think Dawkins, Jones and Epenesa performed well. Dawkins had a great season. According to the Athletic (take it or leave it), Epenesa is the only natural fit on the roster rushing from the right side. Jones has been terrific, even after his injury. Lewis is good depth. Are you objecting to Rapp? Trubinsky? I didn't love these signings myself, but, again, I see the upsides. 

29 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Not to mention he had a torn pectoral.  It's one of the easiest injuries rehab-wise to come back from in football.  Much different from an ACL tear or ligament damage. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

you can solely focus on his contract, but it doesn't necessarily prove your point

he's 32 and coming off an injury, that's going to cost you some $

& unlike Floyd, he presumably chose to stay here, which also means a bit less $ wise

in any event, a great job by Beane - kept a very important piece for a manageable number

he and Oliver are a very good tandem

and Beane will likely add a modest FA here and draft a guy as well

if we go with a WR at 28, there still should be talented DTs in round 2

the 2 guys from Texas, Jenkins from Michigan, and the Fla State dude are all possibilities

and I think we have an extra 4th and 5th rounder, so I expect Beane to use those to move up to get someone mid 2nd round

Except I didn't just focus on his contract. I also mentioned that all of the All Pro talk is based on 4 games against poor competition and centered around his high pressure rate, which is something he's never accomplished before. Then there is the incredibly high standard for All Pro players, which is also something he's never sniffed. I'm not sure why fans here have to take a good situation and try to turn it into something amazing. That's not living in reality.

• Eyeroll 1

We have a starting 4 + Von.  We probably need 4-5 more.

I wouldn't say were done with the defensive line, but the needs along the line are a bit less than they were a day ago.  I think its still a priority draft spot, and the phillips and lawsons of the world will be available to fill in any gaps.  

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So by this scenario, Matt Milano underperformed last year and has underperformed more in his career than DaQuan because Milano has missed more games due to injury?

Last year he did but I have a lot more confidence in Milano returning to form than I do Jones, and Milano is flat out a better player. With Jones it is two years in a row he has been ineffective in the playoffs, and I'm just not a fan of signing yet another 30+ year old defensive lineman. This strategy has yet to produce anything meaningful for us late in the season.

But I've said my piece. I know I'm in the minority about this signing, and I get it. At his best DQ has been a very good player for us. It's weird to say this about a 32 year old player but there is upside to this signing. Just not the direction I would have personally gone in.

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We only got 4.5 games out of Mliano.  Do you doubt we get 10 out of his next year?

Stop with the facts, you're messing up the mental narrative that's he's already decided on.

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

On Epenesa vs Floyd, I agree I would take Epenesa because he is younger. I don't hate that deal. I do think it is another instance of us spending a good chunk of cap space on a backup defensive lineman, which I have been against, but the market for that position really sucks right now and we aren't likely to be able to address it in the draft. So I get it. Epenesa at least still has some upside.

On the other players, they are young but they aren't cheap relative to their position and spot on the roster.

What it really comes down to for me is we are bringing back the same group of players that continually fail to show up in the playoffs. What has Epenesa ever done in a playoff game? Or even Daquan Jones. Two years ago he was out for the divisional round with an injury. This past year he was a shell of himself in the playoffs. Now he's a year older and we're giving him a 2 year deal?

I was looking forward to a big shakeup on the roster this year. We can't just keep doing the same thing and expect to get over the hump. After all the cuts last week I was certain this regime was of the same mindset. I've criticized this regime for being unwilling to step outside their comfort zone. It is like after last week they felt too far out of it so they had to bring back a bunch of players they "know" even if the value wasn't there. The Chiefs wouldn't have re-signed Daquan Jones, I am positive of that. And that's our competition. I'd like us to start emulating them.

I don't mean underperforming like he was a bad player on the field. But he missed 9 games last year... He underperformed in the same way that Tre White has underperformed. It's not his fault, it's just the reality. 32 years old coming off a major injury that left him hobbled at the end of the season. I expected him to get maybe a 1 year $5M deal on the open market.

I am curious to see what the real money is for Jones, but I am not sure I love many of the alternatives on the market. They have been trying to find a guy like this for a long time and I am okay with them bringing him back at that price. The injury is a concern, but aside from this injury and an injury in his rookie year, he has been pretty remarkably healthy. 

I hear you on your concerns. I don't think this team can win a Super Bowl with their HC, so I am definitely against the idea of running it back, and it does appear that is what we are doing. I think we will still add a veteran safety. I think the WR room will look different, but those changes will come via the draft.

I get the Chiefs stuff, but they are going to pay an overrated corner the franchise tag, and IMO the contract they gave to Drue Tranquill is way worse than the one given to Taylor Rapp. Chris Jones is worth the money he got, but Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith will be free agents next year and they still don't have a left tackle. 

The brain trust has tried it all ways and failed. Draft young guys, and let them learn on the fly. That didn't work. Add high-end free agents like Von Miller and Star Lotulelei. That didn't work. Add mid-level free agents to complement the roster like Tim Settle and Trent Murphy...that didn't work. 

So it appears they are trying the "bring back our own guys and hope they develop approach." This and they will complement the roster with a bunch of rookies through the draft and hope it works. With their cap situation, this appears to be their only choice this offseason. 

The reality is that this team has Josh Allen and needs to catch lightning in a bottle in the draft to win a Super Bowl. That is their only choice at this point. 

Their fatal flaw, like a lot of other NFL teams is that they are going to live and die by their guys. They will never step out of their comfort zone. They kind of did with Von Miller and it has been a pretty massive failure. They are never going to draft red flag guys (except Araiza who they gave up on). To me the question isn't really what are they doing? It is why are they still here? But that is where we are at. There will be significant turnover and youth on this roster and it is only happening because it has to with the cap situation. And you just have to hope one of these rookie receivers becomes the next Justin Jefferson.  

• Like (+1) 1