Epenesa re-signing, 2-year deal

Best news of the offseason. I thought he was going to get $12-$14M a year the way he flashed last season and we'd see him walk. The upside is definitely there for him to step into a fulltime starter role. Double digit sacks are definitely a possibility with the way he's been improving.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Best news of the offseason. I thought he was going to get $12-$14M a year the way he flashed last season and we'd see him walk. The upside is definitely there for him to step into a fulltime starter role. Double digit sacks are definitely a possibility with the way he's been improving.

Yeah it is my favourite deal of the ones they've done. Can he be an every down starter is the question.... but he can rush the passer and we need someone to rush the passer. 

EDIT: I should say I thought he'd get more on the market. I was thinking three years $39m something like that. I wouldn't have gone to that if I was the Bills, but in a thin edge rusher free agent class and with a thin draft class after the top 3 or 4 guys I think AJ came in a little under his market value at $10m AAV. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

AJ is ready for more PT IMO. I’d like to see his snap count over 50% and see what he can do with it. As a plus, he plays on the right side, which lets Groot stay on the left where he’s more effective. Last year Groot spent way more time on the right side than ever before and I think it hampered him. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Cash said:

AJ is ready for more PT IMO. I’d like to see his snap count over 50% and see what he can do with it. As a plus, he plays on the right side, which lets Groot stay on the left where he’s more effective. Last year Groot spent way more time on the right side than ever before and I think it hampered him. 

Hopefully Babich will be allowed to inject some creativity with line stunts and pressures.

I feel a lot better about the deal after seeing the numbers. $3.9M cap hit this year, and we can cut him next year for $3M in dead cap (or keep him for $6M), then void years of $2M and $1M in 2026 and 2027.

His market must have been much worse than expected. To be honest I never understood the initial contract projections of $10M+ per year. He is best served as a backup/rotational EDGE.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I feel a lot better about the deal after seeing the numbers. $3.9M cap hit this year, and we can cut him next year for $3M in dead cap (or keep him for $6M), then void years of $2M and $1M in 2026 and 2027.

His market must have been much worse than expected. To be honest I never understood the initial contract projections of $10M+ per year. He is best served as a backup/rotational EDGE.

It is just he is the kind of guy who usually gets overpaid in free agency - especially in a thinnish group. Good deal for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

His market must have been much worse than expected. To be honest I never understood the initial contract projections if $10M+ per year. He is best served as a backup/rotational EDGE.

You just never know with defensive ends. Gross Matos got 2/18 and he and AJ are similar. Gross Matos has been more productive in terms tackles, but AJ has more sacks and impact plays. They are the same age, same draft etc. Matos probably more upside, but with Edge guys you just never know what the value is going to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just glad we’re able to bring back such productive players while cutting captains and pro bowlers. I used to scoff every year when ESPN would write their offseason articles about Buffalos super bow window closing but the proof is in the offseason pudding and we’re heading into a rebuild. 

• Haha (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You just never know with defensive ends. Gross Matos got 2/18 and he and AJ are similar. Gross Matos has been more productive in terms tackles, but AJ has more sacks and impact plays. They are the same age, same draft etc. Matos probably more upside, but with Edge guys you just never know what the value is going to be. 

See I'd take AJE over YGM. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

See I'd take AJE over YGM. 

I think its pretty much apples to apples. I liked the idea of YGM because he hasn't played a lot of straight end and I thought we were going to lose AJ. But yeah I am with you. I like the sack production and high-impact plays that have come from AJ in limited play time. Hopefully, he plays more and takes it up a notch. 

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly if he was not already a Bill this would be like a Mario Addison or Quinten Jefferson type signing. Makes a play here or there but really does not add a ton more than a rookie or guy like Kingsley Jonathon. The Bills just like to stick with the familiar and are willing to pay a premium for it. Not a huge deal at $3M, but again when you shell out 5-10 $3M deal you lose the chance to get a $10M player in exchange for a few of those $3M guys being replaced by min salaries. Their style has proven to be get a lot of mid level talent rather than upper level talent mixed with rookies. It makes sense they can win in the regular season because you get a lot of consistency (plus Josh Allen doesnt hurt) but are lacking in star power come playoff time. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agree with everything, just minor correction - there are 2 void years, both have dead cap od $1M, so total of $2M accounted for in 2026.

Deal is really good value for the Bills imo.

7mm 1y w an option to make it 2 years for like 5-6 more, effectively.

that's cheap and basically gets paid out by what we save trading bates.  they like him and rapp, so it makes sense (both deals)

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ngbills said:

Honestly if he was not already a Bill this would be like a Mario Addison or Quinten Jefferson type signing. Makes a play here or there but really does not add a ton more than a rookie or guy like Kingsley Jonathon.

KJ doesn’t add much more than I do.

9 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Just messing around, though he would not have been a bad addition.  But I'm OK with AJE

At the prices I like AJE better. If you swapped the contracts round I'd have been fine with a flier on YGM. AJ is a better rusher. YGM is probably a bit better rounded.

we now have two DEs on heavy incentive contracts (von obv, but marino reported that AJE can hit 10 a year vs 6 if he hits game and sack numbers), and groot who is looking for his first big contract too.

part of me thinks most players should be on incentive based contracts, but the reality is stats that trigger payouts don't always reflect quality of play, and these guys take significant injury risks, so it's not exactly a totally fair situation.

I think this is quite unique in pro football.  does anyone else recall players with massive incentive based pay, or multiple ones on a single team in a single season before?